• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'd be willing to bet money on Ashley. For one, she was a big yes from the spirits, and for another thing she's massively popular in Japan, similar to Little Mac and Ridley here in America.
I love your support for and confidence in Ashley, but I still have no idea what the heck you mean by "the spirits".

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Alright, here's a new game: Name 3 songs that you want to have in SSBU, regardless of how likely or unlikely they are to get in. 3 songs that you want to Smash to so badly, you'd let Link near your prized pottery collection for at least 30 seconds, just to ensure that they get into the game. They all must be from different franchises. Songs from all franchises owned by Nintendo and their 2nd parties, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix are all fair game, but no music from games not developed/published by any of these companies.

My List:
1. Wave Ocean ~ The Inlet (Sonic the Hedgehog (2006))
I hate just about everything in this game... except for the music. The vast majority (looking at you and your Midis, Chronicles) of Sonic games have amazing soundtracks, and 2006 is no exception. This is hands down my favorite track from 2006, it is the very definition of speed to me, and I'd love to fight with it playing in the background.

2. That Person's Name Is (Bravely Default)
I'd love to get music from other SE series aside from FF, and this is my number one choice. I loved BD as well as its music, and this track is a perfect fit for Smash, imho.

3. Battle! Aqua/Magma Leader (Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)
Easily my favorite track from any and all Pokémon games, hands down. Being a Hoenn fanboy, I really want to see music from ORAS in SSBU, and this one is a must.
Easiest list I've ever made. These songs are all incredible, give em a listen if you've never played Persona 5. And if you have, listen to them anyways bc they'll make you happy. I promise.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Vote: Yay or Nay

Would you have preferred if Alph was a brand new echo fighter? :4alph:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Easiest list I've ever made. These songs are all incredible, give em a listen if you've never played Persona 5. And if you have, listen to them anyways bc they'll make you happy. I promise.

The second I get to officially hear this song in Smash Bros (as opposed to modding it in, which I have done several times) is the second I die happy.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
This question has been asked before, I'm sure, but I just wanna know the thoughts of everyone here presently.

Gun to your head, which newcomers would you be willing to bet money on their being in Ultimate? Not necessarily who you want, but who you think is the most likely to actually make it out of all the popular options.
I'm surprised no one has said Isabelle yet, so I will. She is so bloody popular and everywhere these days. Even as an Echo of Villager.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

I would. It's weird to me that he still didn't get split from Olimar. I don't really understand the logic. He has everything he needs aside from unique taunts and victory screens.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Nay. His main tool is Pikmin. You could give him rock Pikmin or something to make him different, but I think the reality of Alph's situtaion is that no matter who the leader is, the Pikmin's properties really remain the same. And I'm not sure at all how Rock Pikmin would operate differently than purples. Heavy, hit hard without grabbing... Not really worth the work if you ask me. He's a good skin and the other characters would be decent skins too if they matched Olimars bones better.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This question has been asked before, I'm sure, but I just wanna know the thoughts of everyone here presently.

Gun to your head, which newcomers would you be willing to bet money on their being in Ultimate? Not necessarily who you want, but who you think is the most likely to actually make it out of all the popular options.
Bandana Dee. Popular, Relevant, Unique, he has it all!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Unless Sakurai pulls the whole "I don't want to over rep my own series" again

Plus the fact that he doesn't add too many things from Kirby games he didn't help with/make. They're acknowledged sure, but I don't see it happening personally.

I'd like to be wrong but my gut is saying no.
While that's possible Kirby is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises at this point, and it's kind of hard to ignore after the immense success of Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot and Star Allies tbh. Plus Bandana Dee is pretty popular and would be plenty unique.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The second I get to officially hear this song in Smash Bros (as opposed to modding it in, which I have done several times) is the second I die happy.
I didn't even get Rivers in the Desert on that list bc I already had that energetic soulful song with Last Surprise. I wanted to hit three vastly different tracks for the list. Persona 5 has suuuuch an incredible soundtrack. There's too many to choose from lol.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Dixie Kong. DK cannot possibly go another Smash without another character, right?

Right?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'm surprised no one has said Isabelle yet, so I will. She is so bloody popular and everywhere these days. Even as an Echo of Villager.
Ahhh! You beat me to it. Isabelle is my #1 Newcomer want/prediction/expected. I hope she makes it onto the roster. Unique or semi-clone preferably, but I could live with her being an Echo.

Her Final Smash stumps me however.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I didn't even get Rivers in the Desert on that list bc I already had that energetic soulful song with Last Surprise. I wanted to hit three vastly different tracks for the list. Persona 5 has suuuuch an incredible soundtrack. There's too many to choose from lol.
A RIVER IN A DRYYYYYY LAAAAAAAAAAND
THE LAST ACE IN A LOOOOOOOOOOST HAAAAAAAAND
WHEN THE HOPE OF NEW BEGINNINGS BURNED OUR FEET
NOW WE NEED IT

That song is my absolutely favorite from Persona 5, and that's saying something because I have a LOT of other favorites.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Nay. He doesn't exude much in the way of personality. At least Louie is a weirdo.

And, as it was mentioned by some others, can't really change the Pikmin themselves too much. So outside of using Rock Pikmin instead of Purples, ain't much to work with, then again, I'm not working on the game so I could be dead wrong too.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Dixie Kong. DK cannot possibly go another Smash without another character, right?

Right?
Hey, man. Metroid finally got a newcomer after waiting for once since Brawl.

You know what other series has been waiting for a newcomer since Brawl?

I rest my case.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
She's pretty likely imo, but I think her nature as a non-combatant and the general lack of moveset potential there could hurt her. I'd love to have her in and I think Sakurai could make it work but I'd be a little hesitant to put money on her

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm gonna laugh when everyone who throws Isabelle into the echo/clone chamber get shocked by her being an original newcomer instead.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I really feel like Alph was cheated out, Dr. Mario and Lucina escaped the alternate costume hell but left Alph back there. This was the perfect time to do something new with him, maybe replace the Purple Pikmin with Rock Pikmin (but have them share the same mechanics). I'm still bamboozled and I never even touched a Pikmin game.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Late replies from me - Timezones.

Thanks for everyone who replied to my post about about 12 newcomers.

Here’s a challenge for you all,
Since the OG12 seems to hold such an importance this time around. Let’s do a 12 Newcomers list. They can be predicted, wanted, or both. Rules are 8 original/unique characters (2 of which have already been revealed in Inkling and Ridley, so you only need 6 more.) 2 semi-clones, and 2 Echoes (1 of which is Daisy, so you really only need 1 more.)

And....GO!
This might be a late reply, but here's my responses (Most of them come from my most wanted list)
(Confirmed) Inkling
(Confirmed) Ridley
1: Isaac
2: Ashley
3: King K. Rool
4: Simon Belmont
5: Bandanna Waddle Dee
6: Tails

Semi-Clone:
Dixie Kong - Shares some basic movements with Diddy, but uses her hair and bubblegum as her main weapons. The banana peel may behave differently, like maybe have her throw it in front of her, or eat it to recover health. Her take on the Monkey Flip could be a different move, entirely, like calling in Rambi or Espresso for a quick rushing attack.
Octoling/Agent 8 - Focused on defence as opposed to the Inklings who look very rushdown-heavy and uses a Heavy Splatling, Octobrush and Curling Bomb. Much heavier, but you could easily understand Octolng's nuance if you can understand Inkling.

Echo Fighter:
Daisy
Dark Samus - Uses Phazon attacks that poison foes over time instead of the flames that Samus' arm cannon utilises.

Alright then! We’ll do both!

Stages:
1. Bowser Kingdom (Super Mario Odyssey)
View attachment 150166
2. Ultra Space (Pokémon UltraSun & UltraMoon)
View attachment 150167Changing Stage that travels to different Ultra Beast homeworlds. Whilst traveling the stage is set up like this “-__-“.
3. Mantine Surf (Pokémon UltraSun and UltraMoon)
View attachment 150171
Hear me out! The players fight atop several surfing Mantines. They are always lowering and raising themselves. There are also obstacles, such as Wailord, Tentacool, and Pyukumuku. Of course there are the big aerial jumps too.
4. Nintendo Badge Arcade
5. Tetris
6. Luiginary Works (Mario & Luigi: Dream Team)
7. Pushmo
8. The Divine Beasts (Appear throughout various Divine Beast)
9. Nintendo Land; fight on a train that stops at different attractions
10. The Desk from Smash 64’s opening.View attachment 150179
I’ll do the Pokémon in another post. I have to cook dinner and charge my phone.
I'm following on with the 10 Stages idea too, but I have to say, the desktop from Super Smash Bros 64? Absolutely brilliant and amazing idea.

Okay - Stages now:
1: Octo Valley (Splatoon 1 and 2) A mishmash of weird platforms floating in space. Sometimes DJ Octavio appears in his OctoWeapon from Splatoon 1 as a Stage Hazard.
2: Bowser's Castle - Harkens to it's Mario Odyssey incarnation with the Japanese architecture, but plenty of fireball hazards to be aware of.
3: Ultra Space - A strange cave filled with Ultra Beasts that act as stage hazards. Nihilego can possess a character and mess up the controls, Buzzwole can punch you across the screen, etc
4: Nintendo Land - A touring stage that has elements from all the mini-games featured in Nintendo Land, like a Robo-Ridley, cardboard ninjas and the Hanya Mask Demon, Bulborbs, etc.
5: Dracula's Castle (For the Castlevania series) Large map akin to The Great Cave Offensive with lots of rooms, like the spinning room from Castlevania IV, the gardens, Medusa Heads as hazards, and Dracula at the top of the map.
6: Chemical Plant Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog 2
7: Duma Tower - Shadows of Valentia - A stage on the balcony of Duma Tower filled with monsters like revenants, Mogalls, Gargoyles, etc. (Plus we get Twilight of the Gods and other SoV songs)
8: Phendrana Drifts
9: Flying Kroc from Donkey Kong Country 2
10: U.S Air Force Base (Guile's Stage) from Street Fighter II - A grounded stage where you can break the crates to expand the stage's field.

Honourable mentions to your gorgeous Tabletop idea and ARMS' Sky Arena (Max Brass' stage)

As for Pokémon:
10: Braixen - Uses Psyshock and Flamethrower
9: Sandslash - Uses Dig - hides into the ground, then uppercuts an approaching character
8: Mimikyu - Uses Play Rough to beat up enemies
7: Type: Null - Uses Tri Attack
6: Golisopod - Uses First Impression to quickly attack opponents, but if it takes more than 2 hits, it will start to run away.
5: Tapu Koko - Uses Electric Surge to electrify the player who called upon it. Colliding with the charged player damages opponents
4: Necrozma - Uses Prismatic Laser
3: Gallade - Uses Psycho Cut to slice through the air with projectiles kinda like Goku Black's Projectile attack from FighterZ. SUBARASHII
2: Magearna - Uses Fleur Cannon
1: Make Guzma an Assist Trophy so he can beat you up with Team Skull grunts or a golf club.

I guess if they did something interesting with Rock Pikmin, I'd be down for Alph being promoted, but I think Olimar is fine on his own.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm gonna laugh when everyone who throws Isabelle into the echo/clone chamber get shocked by her being an original newcomer instead.
Isabelle as an echo has literally never occurred to me, the image of her swinging an axe just seems so wrong to me lmao

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
A RIVER IN A DRYYYYYY LAAAAAAAAAAND
THE LAST ACE IN A LOOOOOOOOOOST HAAAAAAAAND
WHEN THE HOPE OF NEW BEGINNINGS BURNED OUR FEET
NOW WE NEED IT

That song is my absolutely favorite from Persona 5, and that's saying something because I have a LOT of other favorites.
My personal feelings about it are that Persona 5 has the best soundtrack of all time. It's incredible how much the music adds to the game's flair and style. Very rarely does music get orchestrated for a game that matches the theme so well, especially when they went for such a unique and distinct sound. I could slap together a 20 song list for Smash and honestly I still might be missing some good ones.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
So which Breath of the Wild Champion would you pick to be in Smash Ultimate ( Only choose 1.)

Urbosa -

Mipha -

Daruk -

Revali -

(credit to Captain America for these stock icons :D :D :D )
My pick would be
Urbosa.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So which Breath of the Wild Champion would you pick to be in Smash Ultimate ( Only choose 1.)

Urbosa -

Mipha -

Daruk -

Revali -

My pick would be Urbosa.
Mipha because she looks the coolest. Don't think any of em are making it in though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
She's pretty likely imo, but I think her nature as a non-combatant and the general lack of moveset potential there could hurt her. I'd love to have her in and I think Sakurai could make it work but I'd be a little hesitant to put money on her
She's been one of the most incredibly likely newcomers and everyone keeps sleeping on her because of this ''She's a non combatant" and ''No moveset potential." and yet one is subjective and the other doesn't even matter.

There's no denying that she, not Villager, is the face of Animal Crossing now. She represents it everywhere. She is the owner of it's Twitter account.

When they wanted to get the point across for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe that Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Zelda content were playable racers? Guess who was there with Link and Inkling Girl?

Isabelle is a Nintendo all-star who is the new face and star of her franchise in just one main line game, 3 spin-offs, and a guest appearance later.

Ignoring her would be one of the weirdest things Sakurai did, because it'd be like ignoring Pikachu for Pokemon.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Urbosa -

Mipha -

Daruk -

Revali -

My pick would be
Urbosa.
Mipha free. I need the fishy waifu. Also she just has a really cool design with Zora water-themed abilities, being masterful with polearms, and just being a beautifully designed character aesthetically. I wasn't a big fan of BotW because I don't really vibe with open world games, but the Zora designs for this game were just generally beautiful if you ask me. Gimmie Meeph.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Urbosa -

Mipha -

Daruk -

Revali -

My pick would be
Urbosa.
I'll be honest, I'd rather take Darunia instead of Daruk. More appearances, a refined moveset from Hyrule Warriors, and can do the Villager's side taunt but its at least ten times better.

Look at him go.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Urbosa -

Mipha -

Daruk -

Revali -

My pick would be
Urbosa.
Mipha, she'd make the most interesting character of the four for sure.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Yay. I feel like giving him rock pikmin alone could’ve made him more unique than most Echo Fighters. Shame he isn’t one, really.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering something, what if we have all 4 Champions, and make them a la Pokemon Trainer where we can switch whatever Champion it is. Sounds interesting.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
She can easily be an Echo of Villager. Doesn't mean she can't be unique, but the possibility is there.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I was wondering something, what if we have all 4 Champions, and make them a la Pokemon Trainer where we can switch whatever Champion it is. Sounds interesting.
Interesting but a waste of development time tbh, it's not really worth it imo. Plus there's not any reason they would be able to transform, they're different people and they're not in pokeballs. In that case you might as well just give them four separate slots

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't like the idea of Alph getting Rock Pikmin to differentiate from Olimar. I would rather Olimar get Rock Pikmin added on top of all the Pikmin he already has.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Could be interesting, but Sakurai said we shouldn't expect many newcomers so I doubt he's spending 4 characters worth of resources on the 4 champions with the ability to swap. Besides, switching to match the situation is the Pokemon Trainer gimmick since that's the gimmick in the actual Pokemon games.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Can you imagine how awful Olimar's recovery would be if he had 3 Rock Pikmin with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom