• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m tired of speculating for now.

This is sort of a confession thing, but I was sort of bummed out after watching Smash Ultimate’s first reveal. I keep seeing a lot of people say that we should be happy that we got everyone back and all that sort of stuff, and I was happy that Snake, Wolf, ICs, and Pokémon Trainer is back, but the main thing I was keeping my eye for was new characters and stages to finally put an end to all the newcomer bickering.

But I realized that I was disappointed in the lack of new stuff shown. Everything showed of was a rehash of old stages and returning characters, and the only new character showed (aside from Daisy) was Ridley, and I never really cared for him.

And I’m going to be honest, that December release date hit HARD. Cuddos to them trying to polish this game as much as possible, but
out of all the days Smash could be released, they went with December, the latest time Smash could be released, WHY!?

Anyways, I want to know more about this game, and what new things it has. Even with the E3 reveal we are still talking about the same things over and over again. It’s starting to get annoying. And to be honest, it’s the new things I want to know about.

Sorry for the big wall of text, but I’m just starting to get fazed out from all of this. I will still pop up every now and then, but I’m going to do some other stuff in the meantime. Good luck to all of y’all, and whatever happens when the next newcomer is revealed and any new info comes out.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Even if we got a newcomer trailer, people will move on from it and begin the cycle all over again.

It's just how Smash speculators go. Get hyped for a day or two or three, then ask/wonder what more is to come.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

This is sort of a confession thing, but I was sort of bummed out after watching Smash Ultimate’s first reveal. I keep seeing a lot of people say that we should be happy that we got everyone back and all that sort of stuff, and I was happy that Snake, Wolf, ICs, and Pokémon Trainer is back, but the main thing I was keeping my eye for was new characters and stages to finally put an end to all the newcomer bickering.

But I realized that I was disappointed in the lack of new stuff shown. Everything showed of was a rehash of old stages and returning characters, and the only new character showed (aside from Daisy) was Ridley, and I never really cared for him.

And I’m going to be honest, that December release date hit HARD. Cuddos to them trying to polish this game as much as possible, but
out of all the days Smash could be released, they went with December, the latest time Smash could be released, WHY!?

Anyways, I want to know more about this game, and what new things it has. Even with the E3 reveal we are still talking about the same things over and over again. It’s starting to get annoying. And to be honest, it’s the new things I want to know about.

Sorry for the big wall of text, but I’m just starting to get fazed out from all of this. I will still pop up every now and then, but I’m going to do some other stuff in the meantime. Good luck to all of y’all, and whatever happens when the next newcomer is revealed and any new info comes out.
What about anything shown told you thered be nothing new? The revel in no way even implied this...at all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I recommend playing games using Retroachievements emulators, it's a fun way to pass the time and gives new life to replaying older games.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
What about anything shown told you thered be nothing new? The revel in no way even implied this...at all.
I never stated this. It’s obvious there is more to show, but the reveal itself didn’t show a lot of new content.

Even if we got a newcomer trailer, people will move on from it and begin the cycle all over again.

It's just how Smash speculators go. Get hyped for a day or two or three, then ask/wonder what more is to come.
I know, but it doesn’t feel a lot different when speculating. At least with a newcomer there is a lot of things that can shape our speculation and apply it.

KMDP

Smash Legend

The best way to make the time go faster is to find something else to do in the meantime.

Now, one more thing before I go to bed, since I'm so tired I can barely even see:
We're pretty much guaranteed to get more Final Fantasy VII content this game. If we get anything, anything at all, from Crisis Core; we should get "The Price of Freedom" as Stage Music.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Hey, it's okay. That's fair. You shouldn't feel like you need to like something just because "everyone else" does.
I think that's a valid reason to be disappointed if you are. Kudos to you for being cool about it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Holding out hope for a "Classic sonic" skin. But im sure my hopes will be dashed.
Honestly, if I could get a DLC skin for Pikachu with a Mimikyu hoodie I'd totally be fine with whatever they do with Gen 7.

Dream skins are fun to think about.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
What do you mean? You already got spoiled, Sakurai said everyone who wasn't in the Smash 64 roster (either 8 or 12) was unlockables.
Unless you mean how to unlock them, which will probably be kept a secret until Day 1 or 2 when the game comes out.
I was talking about secret newcomers in this game IF there are any as I stated in the original post.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I never stated this. It’s obvious there is more to show, but the reveal itself didn’t show a lot of new content.

I know, but it doesn’t feel a lot different when speculating. At least with a newcomer there is a lot of things that can shape our speculation and apply it.
But isnt that good, though? Most trailers show too much. I'd say it gives us plenty to talk about! :)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I mean for the new stuff we got entirely new mechanics that weren't in Smash 4 and countless tests about how the game feels/plays for 30 characters. The core gameplay should be exciting enough for now until the reveals come in, but people only care about characters/stages/modes,

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
So today I went to get a tarot reading from my aunt, who's highly experienced in astrology (she's a certified shaman and more). My readings were surprisingly accurate and useful to vouch for her credibility.

I decided to go out on a limb and see if she could comment on potential Smash newcomers, and sure enough, she could. I asked about a couple of characters, and here's what she and the astral plane had to say:

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Chrom - initially no, but she mispronounced his name, and after further searching, yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - unsure

Lip - yes

Take this all with a large grain of salt, but I think it'll be fun to see if these characters get in or not.
Now this is not your typical "My dad works at Nintendo", nor is it implying to be a leak nor a rumour. This is interesting.

With that said. WOW, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Geno, Ashley, Waddle Dee and my girl LIP !?
I would praise Sakurai, forever. Your Auntie would forever be a legend amongst the Smash community.

Of course I can not believe 100%, but it would be hella amazing with that line-up of characters! AND those were just the ones you asked for. Imagine Isaac, Chorus Kids, Chibi-Robo and Crash Bandicoot on that list. If all of these would happen I'd be in heaven, only missing F-Zero to be the top of the cake.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I've always thought it a good idea to just step out of speculation if it isn't fun for you either right now or ever. If it's not fun why do it? People get way to serious about it that's it like why are you doing this?

I do have to say though I'm glad it's December. It guarntees polish and detail over just being able to play sooner. Honestly I thought any date earlier than November was unlikely from the start anyway. Just like it seemed E3 was forever away, December 7th will come and pass too.
I do have to complain that I actually wish it was December 14th as December 7th is the last weekend before finals for me DX lol.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Just realized that they aren't skipping Gen 7 at all.....there are already Gen 7 Pokemon in Pokeballs....... Yeah, Gen 3 Pokemon isn't happening lmao. If we get a newcomer it will be from SuMo.

My last several posts on the topic < :smash:

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Just realized that they aren't skipping Gen 7 at all.....there are already Gen 7 Pokemon in Pokeballs....... Yeah, Gen 3 Pokemon isn't happening lmao. If we get a newcomer it will be from SuMo.

My last several posts on the topic < :smash:
I almost played devil's advocate...but then I was like nah why would I want to do that lol.

Yea I think it's safe to say if we have a Pokemon newcomer it'll be from Gen 7. I was 99% sure we'd get a Pokemon newcomer before E3, now I'm a little less, but I am 99% sure if we do itll be an Alolan Pokemon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I almost played devil's advocate...but then I was like nah why would I want to do that lol.

Yea I think it's safe to say if we have a Pokemon newcomer it'll be from Gen 7. I was 99% sure we'd get a Pokemon newcomer before E3, now I'm a little less, but I am 99% sure if we do itll be an Alolan Pokemon.
Alolan Raichu would give us the entire Pika line.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Watch it not even be a Pokemon.
Youngster Joey will **** you up.

Alolan Raichu's a Pokeball item.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

I actually would love Alolan Raichu. It would kinda bug me we had that many electric types compared to the others though.

Then again, it's so adorable that I'd probably get over it pretty quickly.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Leon Kennedy Smash Ultimate Analysis

I did not think I would ever predict this character in my time of speculating newcomers for Smash Ultimate, but here I am, finding Leon a very plausible candidate. The main reason I did not consider him was because I personally never grew up with the Resident Evil games, as I immediately avoided horror games in general. I found third parties from mature franchises like Bayonetta super possible back in the Smash 4 DLC days, but never saw a Resident Evil character as a big possibility. It was not until I thought about Sakurai’s statement in a Nintendo Dream on there not being globally popular third parties left to add in Smash:

Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.”

Among the many possible third-party characters whose franchises are world-wide known, I could only think of Simon from Castlevania, Layton from Professor Layton, and Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Dragon Quest, Yo-kai Watch, and Monster Hunter never came to me as possible due to their franchises not being very successful in the West. I decided to research more on Capcom’s franchises after finding Monster Hunter implausible. When I saw Resident Evil’s global sales, it finally dawned on me. Resident Evil is one of the few uniquely Japanese third-party series that is massively successful in both Japan and West, with over 80 million sales under the franchise’s belt.

Not only that, but I recalled seeing numerous Resident Evil characters frequently and highly requested during pre-Smash 4 speculation and the ballot period, with names like Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, and Nemesis coming up as RE suggestions for many casual Smash fans. With Sakurai knowing about Resident Evil serving as the final coffin of my horror game bias, I have opened up to the possibility of a RE character. Not only would a Resident Evil character serve as a possible ballot candidate, but it would also be the perfect surprise Sakurai could ever think of. If Sakurai wanted to add third-party characters from globally recognized franchises for Smash Ultimate, a Resident Evil character would serve his needs greatly. The only questions that remain is figuring out who was the most requested RE character in the Smash Ballot and if the character’s use of realistic weapons could pose a major issue for Sakurai when it comes to age rating companies like CERO and ESRB.

When it comes to finding which Resident Evil character is most suggested by Smash fans, it all comes down to Jill Valentine and Leon Kennedy. From the polls I have seen, it seems like Leon was the most requested. When asking RE supporters about the reasons why Leon could have been requested more in the ballot, there was generally one primary reason. That being Leon’s game, Resident Evil 4, being most closely associated with Nintendo fans, as the franchise had a somewhat of a close history with Nintendo with titles such as Resident Evil: Revelations and Resident Evil 2 for the N64 coming to mind. Resident Evil 4 was the most impactful in Nintendo history, which could be why many casual Smash fans would have voted for Leon the most in the ballot. The reason I chose the most popular RE character was because Sakurai did a similar situation when deciding a Final Fantasy character for Smash, with Cloud being the most requested from fans according to Sakurai:

"Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try."

Now there is only one more matter to settle. Will Leon Kennedy’s use of real weaponry prevent Sakurai from adding the character? I do not believe this will be a problem. I personally think that Sakurai’s veteran experience with incorporating characters from mature titles in Smash like Snake and Bayonetta will help him find solutions into figuring out the right weaponry to use for Leon’s moveset. Sakurai has asked for several modifications of characters from many third-party developers and creators on what abilities and tools can a character utilize in Smash. With Capcom giving Sakurai the full freedom to modify characters like Mega Man and Ryu to translate them to Smash gameplay when needed, I feel VERY sure they will find a solution.

I feel strong about Sakurai finding a solution, especially when Hideki Kamiya, one of the creators of Leon Kennedy, would be absolutely willing to lend help with figuring out moves for Leon that stays true to his character, who previously let Sakurai modify Bayonetta back in the Smash 4 DLC days. Leon just has so much distinct moveset potential and characterization (with him rooting from the horror game genre coming to mind) that makes him a stand-out character from other Smash characters, that I think Sakurai would be immensely willing to get him in Smash in any way possible. Sakurai giving up on the RE character idea is very unlikely to happen, in my perspective.

Right now, I personally feel more confident about Leon Kennedy getting in than other third-parties at the moment. I feel more confident about Leon than even Simon Belmont, whom has Vergeben and personal history with Sakurai mainly backing up his inclusion. Leon is the character I think will be Smash Ultimate’s big third-party surprise, in the same vein as Snake and Cloud. I could be wrong, but with what Sakurai said about covering the bases with adding third-party characters from globally popular game franchises, how easy it is to negotiate with Capcom and Kamiya, and the moveset potential Leon can offer, I find it VERY hard to think that Leon will not be in this Smash after what I have learned. We will know in the coming months if my assesment is right.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think the next time we see the game (In its' own Direct), it'll be the opposite of this. A focus on modes, with what we saw in this Direct being on the side.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Can we have Alolan Exeguttor as the Alolan rep? It’s neutral special would cause it to slam its head into the ground. As well as it’s side special, up special, and down special. In fact, all of its attacks would consist of its faceplanting its coconuts into the ground repeatedly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Leon Kennedy Smash Ultimate Analysis

I did not think I would ever predict this character in my time of speculating newcomers for Smash Ultimate, but here I am, finding Leon a very plausible candidate. The main reason I did not consider him was because I personally never grew up with the Resident Evil games, as I immediately avoided horror games in general. I found third parties from mature franchises like Bayonetta super possible back in the Smash 4 DLC days, but never saw a Resident Evil character as a big possibility. It was not until I thought about Sakurai’s statement in a Nintendo Dream on there not being globally popular third parties left to add in Smash:

Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.”

Among the many possible third-party characters whose franchises are world-wide known, I could only think of Simon from Castlevania, Layton from Professor Layton, and Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Dragon Quest, Yo-kai Watch, and Monster Hunter never came to me as possible due to their franchises not being very successful in the West. I decided to research more on Capcom’s franchises after finding Monster Hunter implausible. When I saw Resident Evil’s global sales, it finally dawned on me. Resident Evil is one of the few uniquely Japanese third-party series that is massively successful in both Japan and West, with over 80 million sales under the franchise’s belt.

Not only that, but I recalled seeing numerous Resident Evil characters frequently and highly requested during pre-Smash 4 speculation and the ballot period, with names like Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, and Nemesis coming up as RE suggestions for many casual Smash fans. With Sakurai knowing about Resident Evil serving as the final coffin of my horror game bias, I have opened up to the possibility of a RE character. Not only would a Resident Evil character serve as a possible ballot candidate, but it would also be the perfect surprise Sakurai could ever think of. If Sakurai wanted to add third-party characters from globally recognized franchises for Smash Ultimate, a Resident Evil character would serve his needs greatly. The only questions that remain is figuring out who was the most requested RE character in the Smash Ballot and if the character’s use of realistic weapons could pose a major issue for Sakurai when it comes to age rating companies like CERO and ESRB.

When it comes to finding which Resident Evil character is most suggested by Smash fans, it all comes down to Jill Valentine and Leon Kennedy. From the polls I have seen, it seems like Leon was the most requested. When asking RE supporters about the reasons why Leon could have been requested more in the ballot, there was generally one primary reason. That being Leon’s game, Resident Evil 4, being most closely associated with Nintendo fans, as the franchise had a somewhat of a close history with Nintendo with titles such as Resident Evil: Revelations and Resident Evil 2 for the N64 coming to mind. Resident Evil 4 was the most impactful in Nintendo history, which could be why many casual Smash fans would have voted for Leon the most in the ballot. The reason I chose the most popular RE character was because Sakurai did a similar situation when deciding a Final Fantasy character for Smash, with Cloud being the most requested from fans according to Sakurai:

"Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try."

Now there is only one more matter to settle. Will Leon Kennedy’s use of real weaponry prevent Sakurai from adding the character? I do not believe this will be a problem. I personally think that Sakurai’s veteran experience with incorporating characters from mature titles in Smash like Snake and Bayonetta will help him find solutions into figuring out the right weaponry to use for Leon’s moveset. Sakurai has asked for several modifications of characters from many third-party developers and creators on what abilities and tools can a character utilize in Smash. With Capcom giving Sakurai the full freedom to modify characters like Mega Man and Ryu to translate them to Smash gameplay when needed, I feel VERY sure they will find a solution.

I feel strong about Sakurai finding a solution, especially when Hideki Kamiya, one of the creators of Leon Kennedy, would be absolutely willing to lend help with figuring out moves for Leon that stays true to his character, who previously let Sakurai modify Bayonetta back in the Smash 4 DLC days. Leon just has so much distinct moveset potential and characterization (with him rooting from the horror game genre coming to mind) that makes him a stand-out character from other Smash characters, that I think Sakurai would be immensely willing to get him in Smash in any way possible. Sakurai giving up on the RE character idea is very unlikely to happen, in my perspective.

Right now, I personally feel more confident about Leon Kennedy getting in than other third-parties at the moment. I feel more confident about Leon than even Simon Belmont, whom has Vergeben and personal history with Sakurai mainly backing up his inclusion. Leon is the character I think will be Smash Ultimate’s big third-party surprise, in the same vein as Snake and Cloud. I could be wrong, but with what Sakurai said about covering the bases with adding third-party characters from globally popular game franchises, how easy it is to negotiate with Capcom and Kamiya, and the moveset potential Leon can offer, I find it VERY hard to think that Leon will not be in this Smash after what I have learned. We will know in the coming months if my assesment is right.
Meh, I prefer Nemesis T-Type.
Untitled.png

Tell me you wouldn't give that thing a hug, I dare you.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Can we have Alolan Exeguttor as the Alolan rep? It’s neutral special would cause it to slam its head into the ground. As well as it’s side special, up special, and down special. In fact, all of its attacks would consist of its faceplanting its coconuts into the ground repeatedly.
I'd say he's too big but I guess he can just hunch over like Ridley.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, they do say size matters.

...I now want it as a battering weapon. >.>

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
maybe I heard wrong somewhere but the represented Alolan forms is Vulpix, Raichu, Meowth, and Marowak? I thought I heard Marowak somewhere but I don’t know.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
maybe I heard wrong somewhere but the represented Alolan forms is Vulpix, Raichu, Meowth, and Marowak? I thought I heard Marowak somewhere but I don’t know.
Alolan Vulpix and Raichu are in.

Meowth still has its Kanto variant and I haven't seen Marowak anywhere.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ahhh yeah. It was my own assumption. I was searching for Smash Ultimate Alola Raichu and got this image.

So I had assumed that Alolan Marowak was included as well without properly researching it.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
As an avid Blaziken lover, I am highly offended by the fact that you discussed that heathen known as Swampert 2 pages ago. The very mention of it makes my blood boil...

Anyways, I've said it like twice in the past, but if we were to ever get a 3rd generation rep, despite how unlikely it is, another Pokémon Trainer with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken would be hands down the best representative of Hoenn, having all 3 starters would do it the most justice rather than just one out of the three.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Ahhh yeah. It was my own assumption. I was searching for Smash Ultimate Alola Raichu and got this image.

So I had assumed that Alolan Marowak was included as well without properly researching it.
Would be a cool addition to the pokeba--
wait a second

i suddenly really wanna club toon link with a bone

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm genuinely confused about something. Why are people stuck on the idea that this is an "enhanced" port because it reuses assets? Reusing assets has been a thing since the dawn of video games. Why would you scrap EVERYTHING and build entirely from the ground up when the assets are perfectly reusable and can be changed?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an "enhanced" port. It has a few new characters and a new battle mode, but the general gameplay is identical (it had a few quality of life improvements though). Smash Ultimate has several changes to the gameplay, plus new characters, plus reworks of older characters. That's exactly what a sequel should be. Imagine people calling the inevitable Mario Kart 9 an enhanced port because it plays similar enough to the last game. They're the same franchise, of course they'll be similar in some aspects.

Is Majora's Mask an Ocarina of Time port because it reuses assets? No. It's really weird how this mindset came about. I think people wondering if the new Smash would be a port ever since the Switch was revealed warped people's minds into not understanding what a port really is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom