• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Here's a thought: If Pyrosphere comes back and you play as Ridley on it, does Alfonzo fly around and attack you instead?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Serious question, could you have all Belmonts rolled into one?
Yes, just call it Belmont. Nintendo did a similar thing by merging all Links into one as a composite in the latest Hryule Encylopedia IIRC.

Here's a thought: If Pyrosphere comes back and you play as Ridley on it, does Alfonzo fly around and attack you instead?
Clone Ridley isn't Ridley but yes alfonzo will t-pose on you

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alfonzo: Leave it to me! SCRAAAAW!
Ridley: I don't say "Scraw".

Ridley versus "Bigger Clone Ridley" would make for an interesting event match.

You could call it "The BIGGEST Brawl".

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I mean, I feel like Nintendo didn't want to waste your time reading on each seperate Link lol

Enchess

Smash Lord
Alfonzo: Leave it to me! SCRAAAAW!
Ridley: I don't say "Scraw".

Ridley versus "Bigger Clone Ridley" would make for an interesting event match.

You could call it "The BIGGEST Brawl".
Speaking of events and Ridley, I really want one where you play as mini Samus against giant Ridley in Norfair with assist trophies containing Metroids and Mother Brain as the only items.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, I feel like Nintendo didn't want to waste your time reading on each seperate Link lol
It's still funny that the timeline made the first Link the last Link up until Breath of the Wild came out. Now he's just the second to last Link

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yes, just call it Belmont. Nintendo did a similar thing by merging all Links into one as a composite in the latest Hryule Encylopedia IIRC.
Or they could just pull a Bowser Jr. that’d be the most ideal outcome but uh we’ll have to see if Simon even gets in first.
Well if we're throwing some Alucard in there, can we get some Soma too?
Sure, throw in some Gabriel Belmont and everyone else too!

Shroob

Sup?
Frankly, I'm just interested in getting this week over with.

July'll either be rehash city, or the first blip in new content city.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wait, where's BotW placed on the timeline? Do we know?
Officially no, but logically it's all the way at the end.

Based on the place names and references to Ocarina, it's on the Adult-timeline branch too, since BotW requires Nabooru, Ruto, and Darunia to have been important, but Zelda mentions events of the Child-branch. You could argue any of the timelines, honestly.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
One tiny "problem" with K. Rool's moveset potential is that it's pretty disjointed to his design. When not using costumes they feel kinda random.
Like, why is a crocodile king using blunderbluss? It makes sense when wearing his pirate garb, but feel kinda tacked on with his default look. Similar with the hovepack, which doesn't really fit with blunderbuss either. it's very fanservicey, but you end up with a fighter that kinda doesn't fight the way he looks.
Just wanted to wanted to know if there's anyone else with similar opinions.
I'm somwhat tempted to try making a design that solves this "problem".
Officially no, but logically it's all the way at the end.

Based on the place names and references to Ocarina, it's on the Adult-timeline branch too, since BotW requires Nabooru, Ruto, and Darunia to have been important.
it also works on Downfall, Zelda 2 had towns with those names.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Koroks were only in WW though, right? Seems it has stuff from all of the timelines, since the Zora and Rito, really, all of the species exist together

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm still iffy on Marth's English voice, I kinda expected something more elegant I guess. :upsidedown: It's like being disappointed by a dub of a voice you're so used to by now. Unless you're Patrick Seitz god bless that man.

Koroks were only in WW though, right?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
One tiny "problem" with K. Rool's moveset potential is that it's pretty disjointed to his design. When not using costumes they feel kinda random.
Like, why is a crocodile king using blunderbluss? It makes sense when wearing his pirate garb, but feel kinda tacked on with his default look. Similar with the hovepack, which doesn't really fit with blunderbuss either. it's very fanservicey, but you end up with a fighter that kinda doesn't fight the way he looks.
I think it would be good if they based K. Rool mostly on the DKC2 design and called him Kaptain K. Rool since he can do plenty of moves with just the blunderbuss. Albeit, King K. Rool is the definitely the more iconic design.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, edited. Zelda also mentions Twilight in the first memory, which is the third.

I wonder if there's some unseen 'reunification' event.
Boy, that must have been a weird day.

When you suddenly remember three histories and all three are true.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I don't really think it is a problem honestly. K Rool won't feel authentically K Rool if not a gadget or trap fighter. It's like when Ganondorf fans are annoyed he's missing magic, specifically Dead Man's Volley. I'd still take it, but if you try to hard to make it 'look' right you end up with a heavyweight reptile that attacks with his claws like Bowser and Ridley, but without the flight, wing, and tail moves that differentiate Ridley.

EDIT: honestly you can make an easy argument Kaptain K Rool is more iconic given the popularity of DKC2

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a different topic, what are some characters you can never expect to show up, regardless of how possible it is?

For me that would be Billy Lee from Double Dragon. Despite his series being important for the establishment of beat em ups, it hasn't aged well for most people, the latest entry barely did anything to change that, and even Arcsys have generally abandoned DD and make more use out of River City/Kunio-Kun.

I would personally like to see a new third party company get a character instead of just expanding on the current ones coughlikeLevel5cough
Koei Tecmo sounds like decent choice I guess...
As much of a Ninja Gaiden & Warriors fan I am, I don't see the likes of Ryu Hayabusa or Lu Bu joining smash as much as I'd adore both (Hayabusa does have the NES relation but I don't think he matches up to Simon in terms of the NES legends in terms of general being known).
To be fair, the original NES Ninja Gaiden games were the biggest contributors to cinematic storytelling in video games, so that's something.
Also, Level 5 IPs stop being relevant relatively quick at times.

But most of all, the question comes down to whether it'd be worth pursuing a third party with that little potential. And hell, if you did want a third party who mostly runs and jumps...Frogger could be infinitely more interesting just by having frog physiology as opposed to being vaguely humanoid.
That kind of gave me the need for a Frogger stage now.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't really think it is a problem honestly. K Rool won't feel authentically K Rool if not a gadget or trap fighter. It's like when Ganondorf fans are annoyed he's missing magic, specifically Dead Man's Volley. I'd still take it, but if you try to hard to make it 'look' right you end up with a heavyweight reptile that attacks with his claws like Bowser and Ridley, but without the flight, wing, and tail moves that differentiate Ridley.

EDIT: honestly you can make an easy argument Kaptain K Rool is more iconic given the popularity of DKC2
But if we're going by DKC2, then it's only fair if Dixie gets in as well. :p

Shroob

Sup?
After all this arguing, watch Sakurai bust out Dixie AND K. Rool in one cinematic.
Considering if we get cinematics for newcomers that aren't echoes this game, that wouldn't surprise me.

It'd be really odd for Dixie and K.Rool to have disjointed reveals, so revealing both at once would make the most logical sense.

Enchess

Smash Lord
After all this arguing, watch Sakurai bust out Dixie AND K. Rool in one cinematic.
I'm not sure getting both is that unlikely even. Dixie and K Rool both had fairly vocal fanbase during ballot. I wouldn't be surprised if both placed. With DK only having 2 reps at the moment I don't think Sakurai would be too concerned about adding 2 more at once. Especially if Dixie is semi-clone.

Dixie and K Rool supporters should be friends.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can see this. The ultimate troll Sakurai didn't even know he pulled. XD
Boy, that must have been a weird day.

When you suddenly remember three histories and all three are true.
Actually, a Legend of Zelda game involving a timeline reunification event would be an amazing anniversary game!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I still subscribe to the thought process that there's 7 reveals left, giving us a total of 10 newcomers, and there's a possibility of 1 newcomer reveal a month.

However, there's 6 months left until launch, and by this logic, there'd have to be 1 dual reveal.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I'm seeing K. Rool brought up again, so I'm going to mention a trademark ability of his that would be super fun and is canon to his game appearances, but would be absolutely busted in competitive play.

In DKC2 and DK64, K Rool has a stealth ability that makes him invisible while attacking. If this ability was featured in a playable smash bros appearance, he would easily be one of the most busted characters in the game.

Why? Because in competitive play, visual telegraphing is extremely important to counterplaying the opponent. Reactions to the opponent are what make or break certain players from being better than others. Take away a strong character's visuals, and the opponent will have excessive difficulty with counterplay. Even if K. Rool were mediocre or bad and he had stealth, he would still be a decent character. I get the feeling this ability wouldn't be included in his arsenal if he were playable though, but this is all food for thought.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
and it's not like we have a whole lot of great choices left anyway lmao
Not necessarily. Let's suppose that many of the biggest requests since the Smash 4 days finally make it into this game. Should that happen, it would leave a Thanos-level wipeout in the request lists, making way for acquired/renewed desire in worthy characters that didn't get as much support once forthcoming entries/DLC arrive. In the end, this is the best outcome one can hope for.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Dixie has relevancy, since she's one of the main characters of Tropical Freeze, going soo far as being on the box art. IF Sakurai acknowledges TF at all in Smash, I feel like she's a guarantee.

And K.Rool goes without saying when it comes to his fanbase.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I still subscribe to the thought process that there's 7 reveals left, giving us a total of 10 newcomers, and there's a possibility of 1 newcomer reveal a month.

However, there's 6 months left until launch, and by this logic, there'd have to be 1 dual reveal.
Dixie & K. Rool
Isaac (a man can dream)
Tails & Shadow
Ashley & Simon (Halloween reveal)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It is pretty telling that Daisy might have been a late addition to the roster. They didn't have an amiibo prototype or anything to show alongside Inkling and Ridley, but confirmed one was coming.

I feel like Sakurai was going the full work on the Peach alt this time and decided her fans would love it more if she were her own separate fighter.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

K. Rool + Dixie reveal please.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'm seeing K. Rool brought up again, so I'm going to mention a trademark ability of his that would be super fun and is canon to his game appearances, but would be absolutely busted in competitive play.
In DKC2 and DK64, K Rool has a stealth ability that makes him invisible while attacking. If this ability was featured in a playable smash bros appearance, he would easily be one of the most busted characters in the game.
Why? Because in competitive play, visual telegraphing is extremely important to counterplaying the opponent. Reactions to the opponent are what make or break certain players from being better than others. Take away a strong character's visuals, and the opponent will have excessive difficulty with counterplay. Even if K. Rool were mediocre or bad and he had stealth, he would still be a decent character. I get the feeling this ability wouldn't be included in his arsenal if he were playable though, but this is all food for thought.
That shouldn't be an issue unless pro players make a huge fuss over it. Other competitive fighting games have had characters who can turn invisible as a gimmick. Mortal Kombat for example. If it's fine there, I don't see any reason it would have to be busted here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Would be fair, seeing as the website isn't updating too often from the looks of things.

Shroob

Sup?
It is pretty telling that Daisy might have been a late addition to the roster. They didn't have an amiibo prototype or anything to show alongside Inkling and Ridley, but confirmed one was coming.

I feel like Sakurai was going the full work on the Peach alt this time and decided her friends would love it more if she were here own separate fighter.
This is why I'm keeping my expectations for Echo Fighters low.

We had 3 of them in Smash 4(:4drmario:, :4lucina:, :4darkpit:), and no one batted an eye.

Now that Sakurai gave a name to differentiate them from characters like :pichumelee: and :younglinkmelee:, people are banking on like, 4-5+, which I just don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom