• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I still subscribe to the thought process that there's 7 reveals left, giving us a total of 10 newcomers, and there's a possibility of 1 newcomer reveal a month.

However, there's 6 months left until launch, and by this logic, there'd have to be 1 dual reveal.
Wii U-3DS Roster.png

Going by the 7 characters left thing this is how I'd hope the final roster would look. I threw Octolings in there because we're getting at least one more echo fighter imo and they make sense to me

KMDP

Smash Legend
Predicting RE4's Ashley for a Halloween reveal... Bold prediction. (Jk, I know what you meant.)
Actually, can we think of any other characters that would fit Isaac's theme(s) and is also requested (unfortunately, Lycanroc might be a no-go until DLC)? Since doubling up on character reveals would double the hype.

Isaac's potential themes for pairing are:
Earth magic
Psychic powers
Solar theme.

Hmm...

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
-The DKC series and the Mario series as they are now have little to do with the original Donkey Kong arcade game.
-Link and Animal Crossing characters were in Mario Kart. Are they part of the Mario Universe?
-References are just references. There are plenty of video games that make references to completely separate franchises. Samus' spaceship was in Tropical Freeze. Is she part of the DK universe too? Oh wait, I mean is she part of the Mario Universe too?
-Doesn't change the fact that they share the same world, just as it is with Yoshi and Wario.
-That's a crossover. No where near the same as having DK characters constantly and regularly appearing in Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Sports, the whole Mario Vs Donkey Kong series, Baby DK in Yoshi's Island, or DK in a Mario and Rabbids crossover. I think you can tell the difference between the two.
-A references is all that is. Again, same logic as point 2.

Again, for the record, ,I am not saying I don't want K Rool or Dixie in, I do, but the DK series is and always has and will be tied to Mario as a sub-series in the same vein as Wario and Yoshi.

KMDP

Smash Legend
-Doesn't change the fact that they share the same world, just as it is with Yoshi and Wario.
-That's a crossover. No where near the same as having DK characters constantly and regularly appearing in Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Sports, the whole Mario Vs Donkey Kong series, Baby DK in Yoshi's Island, or DK in a Mario and Rabbids crossover. I think you can tell the difference between the two.

Again, for the record, ,I am not saying I don't want K Rool or Dixie in, I do, but the DK series is and always has and will be tied to Mario as a sub-series in the same vein as Wario and Yoshi.
It's weird to think that Donkey Kong (Arcade/'94), Super Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island and Wario Land/WarioWare are all in the same universe.
One the biggest fictional universes, it seems.

Actually, can we think of any other characters that would fit Isaac's theme(s) and is also requested (unfortunately, Lycanroc might be a no-go until DLC)? Since doubling up on character reveals would double the hype.

Isaac's potential themes for pairing are:
Earth magic
Psychic powers
Solar theme.

Hmm...
I think a Gen 7 mon is pretty much guaranteed, imo.
Oh, yeah! Decidueye! Right!

August: Tails & Shadow
September: Isaac & Decidueye
October: Ashley & Simon
November: Dixie & K. Rool

None of them are echoes (though Tails and Shadow are semi-clones of Sonic).

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I imagined a reveal trailer where Donkey Kong and Diddy are monkeying around when they're suddenly attacks with a cannonball from an unseen adversary that knocks one of them out. It continues for a short while until Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong, maybe even both are on the floor, subdued. Then, we see a pair of scaled feet make two steps as the camera pans up to reveal K. Rool. He performs a menacing laugh as he slowly points his blunderbuss at the fallen duo, the weapon shining at the tip when, suddenly, he's quickly knocked out of our view by a blurry object. The camera pams over and we see a knocmed out K. Rool with a white cross of bandages on his head; His crown at his side as we see the assailant rolling around next to his unconscious body: His very own cannonball.

Then, we hear a rustling from the bushes in the jungle; DK and Diddy quickly get on their feet, preparing themselves just in case of any hostility. Finally, we see a blurred figure erupt from the trees, and it's none other than... Dixie Kong! The trailer ends with the three Kongs getting into a group hug before glancing over at K. Rool's body, only to find that what's left is an indent of his frame on the ground.

Enchess

Smash Lord

No one is denying they are connected. It's just ridiculous to call DK a subseries of Mario. That's like calling Rayman a subseries of Rabbids or Uncharted a subseries of Last of Us or Ninja Gaiden a subseries of Dead or Alive.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think so necessarily, it could happen but they already brought back 3 pokemon, I feel like it could easily stay the same
Depends on what the Pokemon Company wants, imo.

Considering Sun and Moon were hot sellers, and their release lines up perfectly with the development, I really can see it happening very easily.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Depends on what the Pokemon Company wants, imo.

Considering Sun and Moon were hot sellers, and their release lines up perfectly with the development, I really can see it happening very easily.
It's not all up to the pokemon company though, if sakurai doesn't want to prioritise another pokemon newcomer he simply won't add one, if he does want another then we get one, who knows, could happen but I wouldn't call it anywhere near a guarantee

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
It's weird to think that Donkey Kong (Arcade/'94), Super Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island and Wario Land/WarioWare are all in the same universe.
One the biggest fictional universes, it seems.
Probably the only real shared universe in video games as far as I'm aware.

D

Deleted member

Random thought: The veterans were shown in a random order in the "everyone is here" trailer.
Could there be a hidden message behind the order they were shown? Does anyone want to decrypt it?
(Yup, I'm that desperate. XD)

Enchess

Smash Lord
Random thought: The veterans were shown in a random order in the "everyone is here" trailer.
Could there be a hidden message behind the order they were shown? Does anyone want to decrypt it?
If you take the number in binary in the order shown in the reveal then convert it to ASCII code, it says "67. Non Specific Action Figure" (not gonna lie, still want him as a joke character)

EDIT: I don't understand auto correct sometimes

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
If I recall correctly their order is based on when they first appeared in the series. IE first the chars in 64, followed by Melee newcomers, Brawl newcomers, then 4 newcomers, it wasn't random

EDIT: Oh, unless you mean when they were literally shown in the trailer

EDIT EDIT: After painstaking in depth analysis of the trailer and the order in which they are reveled, I've discovered a hidden message! It reads: "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If I recall correctly their order is based on when they first appeared in the series. IE first the chars in 64, followed by Melee newcomers, Brawl newcomers, then 4 newcomers, it wasn't random
Nope. I rewatched it several times and it was absolutely random.
Luigi and Yoshi not appearing until the very end being just one example.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Actually, a Legend of Zelda game involving a timeline reunification event would be an amazing anniversary game!
That sounds crazy enough to work
I still subscribe to the thought process that there's 7 reveals left, giving us a total of 10 newcomers, and there's a possibility of 1 newcomer reveal a month.

However, there's 6 months left until launch, and by this logic, there'd have to be 1 dual reveal.
Maybe we can get two of them..or a trio trailer

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
As for Gen 7, I'm still not conpletely sold on who it will be, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

If Pokémon gets 10, then I don't see why Mario can't get another unless we're really just counting Pokémon Trainer as one.

D

Deleted member

As for Gen 7, I'm still not conpletely sold on who it will be, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

If Pokémon gets 10, then I don't see why Mario can't get another unless we're really just counting Pokémon Trainer as one.
I don't think Mario can't get more, but that doesn't neccesarily mean it will.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Booted up Smash 4 on 3DS i never bought a wii u forgive me again for the first time in like 2 years, guess this will be my life for the next 5 months.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
When it comes to who can be revealed in the final 7 thought, the way I think of is like this:

Echoes will most definitely not get their own trailer, unless they appear in a trailer along with a new character(Lucina, Dark Pit).

New Echoes will most assuredly not appear in a random trailer with a character not from their franchise.

For example:

Lucina was effectively an Echo Fighter in Smash 4, but she appeared in Robin's Trailer.

Dark Pit wasn't revealed, but he was hinted at in Palutena's trailer.

Which leads me to believe that if we are to get any Echo fighters in actual trailers, and not like how Daisy were revealed, they'd have to come with an actual newcomer from their franchise.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Well yeah. Nothing's completely guaranteed.

When it comes to who can be revealed in the final 7 thought, the way I think of is like this:

Echoes will most definitely not get their own trailer, unless they appear in a trailer along with a new character(Lucina, Dark Pit).

New Echoes will most assuredly not appear in a random trailer with a character not from their franchise.

For example:

Lucina was effectively an Echo Fighter in Smash 4, but she appeared in Robin's Trailer.

Dark Pit wasn't revealed, but he was hinted at in Palutena's trailer.

Which leads me to believe that if weren't to get any Echo fighters in actual trailers, and not like how Daisy were revealed, they'd have to come with an actual newcomer from their franchise.
Definitely. It feels weird to give a hype cinematic for soneone, only to reveal them as a literal 1:1 clone of something we already have. Kinda makes revealing Shadow hard, if he's an Echo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh God I just realized why I stopped playing my 3DS. My R button barely works. :teeth: Guess I'll just suffer through it.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
This is why I'm keeping my expectations for Echo Fighters low.

We had 3 of them in Smash 4(:4drmario:, :4lucina:, :4darkpit:), and no one batted an eye.

Now that Sakurai gave a name to differentiate them from characters like :pichumelee: and :younglinkmelee:, people are banking on like, 4-5+, which I just don't.
Doc isn't an echo fighter, considering he has different moves and properties.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why are we stuck on "final 7"? Why 7? I skipped like 45 pages.
Some guy asked what 7 newcomers you'd expect or want. Now people just think we only have 7 fighters left to be revealed. Power of gossip. :p Though that question was well over 200 pages ago.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Doc isn't an echo fighter, considering he has different moves and properties.
He was in Smash 4, not in Ultimate.

Doc was shoved off into "The Clone Row" in Smash 4, considering that he was going to be an alternate skin for Mario.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Serious question, could you have all Belmonts rolled into one?
Let's see:
-Simon Belmont
-Trevor Belmont
-Richter Belmont
-Christopher Belmont
-Leon Belmont
-Juste Belmont
-Julius Belmont
-Gabriel Belmont

Yes you can...technically, as Gabriel is part of a different "timeline" and whatnot. If you need a character in the same timeline as the other 7, John Morris or Johnathan Morris do work.

Shroob

Sup?
No he wasn't???? Doctor Mario was pretty different from Mario. A semi-clone, maybe, but not an Echo.
Doctor Mario started life in Smash4 as an alternate costume for Mario.

Afterwards when Sakurai decided that fans would miss him, he put him in the game as a quick clone.

The clone row is "We were alternate costumes, but were made at the last second"

Fancy it up all you want, but that is an echo fighter.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Doc was in a weird spot in 4. He wasn't a Lucas or a Toon Link, be he also wasn't a Lucina or Dark Pit.

Doc is very much a limbo clone. He doesn't really fall on either end of the semi-cone or echo spectrum, especially since the few attacks that do differentiate him from Mario are pretty much just taken straight from Luigi, but with different properties. And Luigi himself already shares Mario's old moves so... Aaaaaaa

That new stomp in Ultimate is clean tho

Last edited:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Doc was in a weird spot in 4. He wasn't a Lucas or a Toon Link, be he also wasn't a Lucina or Dark Pit.

Doc is very much a limbo clone. He doesn't really fall on either end of the semi-cone or echo spectrum, especially since the few attacks that do differentiate him from Mario are pretty much just taken straight from Luigi, but with different properties. And Luigi himself already shares Mario's old moves so... Aaaaaaa

That new stomp in Ultimate is clean tho
:4drmario: is a crappy version of :4mario:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Doctor Mario started life in Smash4 as an alternate costume for Mario.

Afterwards when Sakurai decided that fans would miss him, he put him in the game as a quick clone.

The clone row is "We were alternate costumes, but were made at the last second"

Fancy it up all you want, but that is an echo fighter.
From my understanding, an Echo fighter has the same properties as their original fighter with the exception of their hitboxes, damage output, and irrelevant animations. Doc had a multiple different attacks from Mario and (I believe) he had a different weight/speed (please someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

That said, I don't recall anything specifically referring to Dr. Mario as a potential pallet swap at whatever point. I only remember that being said about Dark Pit and Lucina, which is why they're ridiculously similar to Pit and Marth. Could be wrong about this. Either way, I think Dr. Mario was more of an "easy clone". I'd put him at the same level of Young Link and Pichu in that respect.

Edit: Like Swamp said, Doc is a "Melee Clone".

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I don't really think it is a problem honestly. K Rool won't feel authentically K Rool if not a gadget or trap fighter. It's like when Ganondorf fans are annoyed he's missing magic, specifically Dead Man's Volley. I'd still take it, but if you try to hard to make it 'look' right you end up with a heavyweight reptile that attacks with his claws like Bowser and Ridley, but without the flight, wing, and tail moves that differentiate Ridley.
Exactly, the "problem" isn't that it doesn't fit the character, it's that it doesn't fit his design. I think this actually might a bigger "problem" than a some believe, because the huge amount of smash characters are build more on their concepts than their more exact in-game moves. And evil crocodile king isn't the most interesting concept and really doesn't match the idea of gadget/trap fighter.

Like I'm not against K. Rool joining, I just wanted bring up something that potentially could be an obstacle to his inclusion.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh God I just realized why I stopped playing my 3DS. My R button barely works. :teeth: Guess I'll just suffer through it.
You think that's bad! Not only is my 3DS' R button intermittent; it's microphone doesn't work and the Circle Pad's rubber fell off.

Poor thing, tries so hard. *sniff*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom