• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Do you think Echo Fighters will at least get Final Smashes that suit them?

I'd love to see Daisy get something sports related.

Dark Pit obviously can't use the same Final Smash as Pit.
No I don't think so.
Pit's Final was changed to the lightning chariot, something both Dark Pit can do and Lucina's Final is definitely critical hit like Marth.
As far as I'm concerned, echoes are nearly identical outside of some move properties.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I find ot funny when I see people say things like "K. Rool is basically a given" because Sakurai is adding the most popular characters, but then say something like "Ashley flat out isn't happening."

It's like people completely ignore that there are other parts of the world where other characters are popular. Yeah, K. Rool is a popular choice, but Ashley is arguably more popular in Japan (AKA where the game is being developed).There are other parts of the world that aren't North America/Europe.
The only barrier to entry I can possibly see for Ashley is that Sakurai would have to come up with a whole new moveset for her, since I assume there's little to pull from from WarioWare in the form of attacks, and Sakurai doesn't seem to want to do that as much as back in 64.

Other than that, I pretty much see Ashley as a given.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No I don't think so.
Pit's Final was changed to the lightning chariot, something both Dark Pit can do and Lucina's Final is definitely critical hit like Marth.
As far as I'm concerned, echoes are nearly identical outside of some move properties.
Well, it's already been confirmed that Dark Pit's Final Smash is the same as Smash 4.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well, given that criteria, I'd say that bodes really really well for Ken. Same Hadouken as Ryu, same Down B (different animation?).

Up B is Shoryuken, but it behaves differently and has a fire effect. Rather than hitting once, his hits multiple times.

Side B still Tatsu, but it behaves differently and has a fire effect. Also hits multiple times.

He loses the Hyakuretsu as that's a Ryu only move.

Everything else about him, normals, weight, speed, etc.... are pretty much identical. At best you make some frame data/hitbox adjustments.

FS are different.

Similar with Dark Samus. Everything stays the same, but you change the properties on her charge shot and Screw Attack. Different FS as well maybe.
Might be. Personally I'm still on the fence on TP Echo fighters, but who knows at this point.

I find ot funny when I see people say things like "K. Rool is basically a given" because Sakurai is adding the most popular characters, but then say something like "Ashley flat out isn't happening."

It's like people completely ignore that there are other parts of the world where other characters are popular. Yeah, K. Rool is a popular choice, but Ashley is arguably more popular in Japan (AKA where the game is being developed).There are other parts of the world that aren't North America/Europe.
Completely agree. On another site I had quite a discussion with a guy saying that KKR and Geno were guaranteed because they have been popular and requested for years, while characters like Bandana Dee, who also are incredibly popular and requested, are not going to get in because "they haven't been requested for as many years as them, so they crealy have less priority".

For how long a character has been requested isn't a factor. Ridley has been higly requested constantly since Melee, but other characters like Geno or Krystal have lost some popularity. Now among the most requested we have recent characters like Bandana Dee, Ashley and so on. People want to read to much into Ridley finally making in, but this isn't going to be just a fanservice roster.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Since all the new Final Smashes are basically one different ways to express "a really strong attack that gets right to the point", what would Peach's even be? It was never an attack to begin with. Haha

Bionichute

Smash Champion
No I don't think so.
Dark Pit still has his staff as his Final Smash, as mentioned previously, so I think that Final Smashes are out of the echo fighter equation entirely.

Also, anyone notice how Peach's Final Smash is conspicuously absent? Almost like they're trying to hide the fact that its changed hmmm

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'd rather not see any, but Black Knight would be pretty damn cool over Ike.
I don't think the heavily armored Black Knight would be very functional utilizing Ike's animations.

So is anyone else upset by how they changed Marth's voice (and most likely Roy's voice too) to English or is that just me?
The only reason this has been the case up to this point is Marth hasn't really had an official English Voice actor up to this point. Now the same voice actor has been portraying Marth for a few different games now so it makes sense that his voice has become more recognizable to newer Fire Emblem fans. Roy's only voiced appearance from what I understand in English is Heroes so it possible he may remain the same.

I actually think Marth's English voice suits him pretty well as does his Japanese voice, they're just slightly different portrayals.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Dark Pit still has his staff as his Final Smash, as mentioned previously, so I think that Final Smashes are out of the echo fighter equation entirely.

Also, anyone notice how Peach's Final Smash is conspicuously absent? Almost like they're trying to hide the fact that its changed hmmm
My personal theory is the missing Final Smashes are just not finished yet animation wise. That said, I do think Peach will get a new one since everything seems to be quick kill move now. My unrealistic dream is she gets her exploding words from the beginning of Superstar Saga

Bionichute

Smash Champion
My personal theory is the missing Final Smashes are just not finished yet animation wise. That said, I do think Peach will get a new one since everything seems to be quick kill move now. My unrealistic dream is she gets her exploding words from the beginning of Superstar Saga
Best case scenario: her wish attack from Paper Mario

KMDP

Smash Legend
Might be. Personally I'm still on the fence on TP Echo fighters, but who knows at this point.
I don't see any third party echoes as likely. Except Ken, because it's the most obvious thing to do with him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Dark Pit having his staff back is confirmed so yeah they will, and if Peach Blossom stays there's no way daisy is using it
There's no precedence for it, but I'd love Peach to have a Chain Chomp final Smash.

We can just make part of her thing that she has a pet Chain Chomp that guards her castle.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Peach's new Final Smash was going to involve her stuffing nearby opponents into her dress where her unlimited supply of Toads would viciously attack the players, but Sakurai had to change it because he knew the ratings boards would never accept it. They had to start all over again.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Daisy Final Smash.

Blue Falcon/Arwing style cinematic, Tatanga comes and abducts Daisy's target(s).

Then Daisy whales on them with a Golf-club.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
You know what I’ve always wanted since Nelee.

This:

It would be beyond awesome.
Thing is apparently Sakurai was even planning this back in Brawl, where in the unused files every non-main protagonist had an individual victory theme except Wolf, with even Mewtwo and Roy having one. Presumably because of developmental constraints though they didn't go through with it and for some reason only Meta Knight got one. I've been hoping they would revisit it (it can't take that long to make victory themes), but in Smash 4 only a few more characters got a victory theme unique from their series, while in Smash Ultimate it already been confirmed that there are characters who just have their series' victory theme.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't see any third party echoes as likely. Except Ken, because it's the most obvious thing to do with him.
Oh yeah. Almost all TP have an easy and obvious echo fighter.

Snake - Big Boss/ MGS2 Raiden
Sonic - Shadow
Mega Man - Proto Man
Pac Man - Ms. Pac Man
Ryu - Ken
Cloud - Zack Fair
Bayonetta - Jeanne

And honestly, the only TP Echo that I think is ""likely"" is Jeanne, due to how much Nintendo seems to care about Bayonetta, which was also the only TP series to be featured in this E3 in the Nintendo Booth's "memorabilia museum".

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I kinda wish Kumatora wasn't in Lucas Final Smash. If she was his Echo. I'd never play Ness or Lucas again.

It is useful, just not to knock out people (unless they are high percentage).
I mean yeah, you can heal yourself with it, but even that's highly situational. If you're not high damage there's no point in using it to heal, because you just leave a bunch of giant peaches laying around for your enemy to heal with.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Sakurai somehow incorporates Daisy's annoying voice into her Final Smash, I'll go out and buy all of the Daisy amiibo that've been collecting dust at my Wal-Mart.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Thing is apparently Sakurai was even planning this back in Brawl, where in the unused files every non-main protagonist had an individual victory theme except Wolf, with even Mewtwo and Roy having one. Presumably because of developmental constraints though they didn't go through with it and for some reason only Meta Knight got one. I've been hoping they would revisit it (it can't take that long to make victory themes), but in Smash 4 only a few more characters got a victory theme unique from their series, while in Smash Ultimate it already been confirmed that there are characters who just have their series' victory theme.
What are the chances that that's something that could be added near the end of development, if he's been wanting it for a while?

Yeah, not gonna happen, but it'd be nice if we finally got some difference in the themes.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh yeah. Almost all TP have an easy and obvious echo fighter.
Yes, yes, they do. XD
Snake - Big Boss/ MGS2 Raiden
I like Big Boss, but with Snake's beard and alts, I think he's already 'in', so to speak. Raiden might work.
Sonic - Shadow
We just argued about this last page. A Shadow echo is... complicated.
Mega Man - Proto Man
Unfortunately, Proto Man is already in Mega Man's Final Smash.
Proto Man: Maybe I'll get my chance... another day...
Pac Man - Ms. Pac Man
Works better as an Alph-style alt. (I mean... probably, right?)
Ryu - Ken
Yes.
Cloud - Zack Fair
Same with Cloud, as with Pac-Man. Cloud literally bases his fighting style (and false personality) on Zack. An alt works better from a narrative standpoint. Zack could be an echo, but I think that'd be a waste of time. If an echo, the only change I can see is changing Zack's Final Smash from Omnislash to... ah, dangit I forgot what Zack's "-slash" move is called!
Bayonetta - Jeanne

And honestly, the only TP Echo that I think is ""likely"" is Jeanne, due to how much Nintendo seems to care about Bayonetta, which was also the only TP series to be featured in this E3 in the Nintendo Booth's "memorabilia museum".
All true.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Dark Pit having his staff back is confirmed so yeah they will, and if Peach Blossom stays there's no way daisy is using it
You know that never even crossed my mind. I was like yeah if Peach gets her same final smash Daisy will just have her move but with daisies...but that's not a healing food item lol.
The only barrier to entry I can possibly see for Ashley is that Sakurai would have to come up with a whole new moveset for her, since I assume there's little to pull from from WarioWare in the form of attacks, and Sakurai doesn't seem to want to do that as much as back in 64.

Other than that, I pretty much see Ashley as a given.
While he does it a lot less there are still instances of it, specifically Rosalina who had a whole fighting style made from scratch for her based around her core identity (mother to the Lumas). So I think he could create a Moveset for Ashley based around the idea that she's a witch who would cast hexes. Either that or Skull Kid could get that concept.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yes, yes, they do. XD

I like Big Boss, but with Snake's beard and alts, I think he's already 'in', so to speak. Raiden might work.

We just argued about this last page. A Shadow echo is... complicated.

Unfortunately, Proto Man is already in Mega Man's Final Smash.
Proto Man: Maybe I'll get my chance... another day...

Works better as an Alph-style alt. (I mean... probably, right?)

Yes.

Same with Cloud, as with Pac-Man. Cloud literally bases his fighting style (and false personality) on Zack. An alt works better from a narrative standpoint. Zack could be an echo, but I think that'd be a waste of time. Change Zack's Final Smash from Omnislash to... ah, dangit I forgot what Zack's "-slash" move is called!

All true.
Just thought another one: Venom Snake for Snake. Instead of the Nikita Missile he would use the Rocket Punch as his Side B. That would be hilarious.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know that never even crossed my mind. I was like yeah if Peach gets her same final smash Daisy will just have her move but with daisies...but that's not a healing food item lol.
Daisy could inflict the "Flower" status while putting people to sleep instead of generating peaches. The music used could be a sped up version of Daisy's theme from Mario Land.

While he does it a lot less there are still instances of it, specifically Rosalina who had a whole fighting style made from scratch for her based around her core identity (mother to the Lumas). So I think he could create a Moveset for Ashley based around the idea that she's a witch who would cast hexes. Either that or Skull Kid could get that concept.
Yeah, not saying it's impossible. With Ashley's apparent popularity in Japan, Sakurai might be willing to put the extra effort in.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope Peach's new Final Smash shows off her telekinesis. In the Mario and Luigi games she straight up uses the force to throw Bowser out of her castle. It could probably act the same way that Mr. Game and Watch's updated Octopus move does.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I hope Peach's new Final Smash shows off her telekinesis. In the Mario and Luigi games she straight up uses the force to throw Bowser out of her castle. It could probably act the same way that Mr. Game and Watch's updated Octopus move does.
Well part of that was a joke, everyone just looks at her like "Holy **** you can do that?that?" Why didn't you do it before"

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Strongly agree, the only thing going for him now is the mii costume which dozens of other characters also got, and that tweet which could mean nothing. Geno's been rejected in the past and his situation has only worsened over time as he's fallen even further out of relevance and his popularity has dwindled since the brawl days, I'm very doubtful he scored high on the ballot. People bring up uniqueness but Paper Mario and Captain Toad would be as well, he's not exactly special in that regard.
Geno hasn't been "rejected" in the traditional sense. In Sakurai's own interview where he said he wanted him since Brawl, he didn't say Geno wasn't "good enough" or "not relevant enough", just it "didn't become a reality"; i.e. Geno is owned by Square Enix and thus he couldn't be licensed out. The exact words from the interview:

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.

----

The source for it.

Now that Square Enix is onboard and already have their main star in, the main obstacle to Geno's inclusion is gone, and with Sakurai's own stated approval and recognition of his popularity, I think he is a real contender this time around.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Fan demand is all Geno has going for him. He's an obscure character from an obscure SNES game.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I would like Geno, he looks cool and I like that he has a bunch of lasers and star attacks.

His inclusion would be something as big as Ridley's inclusion IMO.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Fan demand is all Geno has going for him. He's an obscure character from an obscure SNES game.
I wouldn't underestimate how big the fan demand for Geno is though. I knew of him as "that one guy people want in Smash for some reason" years before I knew what Super Mario RPG was and years before I started looking at Smash specific forums. It's rare for a character in a niche game to become so popular that mainstream is aware of who they are.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wouldn't underestimate how big the fan demand for Geno is though. I knew of him as "that one guy people want in Smash for some reason" years before I knew what Super Mario RPG was and years before I started looking at Smash specific forums. It's rare for a character in a niche game to become so popular that mainstream is aware of who they are.
I don't know why people even want Geno in Smash. He's a niche character from a SNES game that the general consumer doesn't even know existed. He also faces competition from Sora for the second Square rep, if there even is a slot for one.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don't forget that, I don't think SMRPG even came out in Europe!
Daisy could inflict the "Flower" status while putting people to sleep instead of generating peaches. The music used could be a sped up version of Daisy's theme from Mario Land.
Expanding on this, Peach's music for the Peach Blossom is a hugely sped-up version of "The Sky/Warp Zone" from Mario Bros. I can imagine Daisy using this in her version if she had it. The song that plays every time Daisy/Fake!Daisy shows up in Super Mario Land, usually before being cut off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom