• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Imagine Pauline singing "A Secret Course", "DK Rap", "Ashley's Theme", "Lost in Thoughts All Alone", "Open Your Heart", "Live and Learn", "Calling to the Night", "Heaven's Divide", "Sins of the Father" or any number of vocal songs that have been in Smash?
Geez, I'd feel bad for her VA not gonna lie. :4pacman:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I wonder if Pacman will still smile when he drowns.

"Gee, it so is boring around here." Sorry, I just had to do that.
My boy, this peace is what all true speculators strive FOR.
You know, with the New Donk City stage having Pauline in the back and singing "Jump Up, Super Star"...

What if she sings all the songs available for the stage, and that's the stage's gimmick?

Imagine Pauline singing "A Secret Course", "DK Rap", "Ashley's Theme", "Lost in Thoughts All Alone", "Open Your Heart", "Live and Learn", "Calling to the Night", "Heaven's Divide", "Sins of the Father" or any number of vocal songs that have been in Smash?

And with that thought, I'm going to head to bed. It's 2 AM where I live.
Pauline singing the DK Rap is an incredible mental image.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You DARE to get me to apologize?! YOU MUST DIE!!!

Nah, not really, but you should know I was quoting Ganon in that game, kind of.
Good enough, cause even when changed a little bit that line is still memeworthy
Hey, c'mon. Without the CDi games, we wouldn't have "MAI BOI"

And a world without "MAI BOI" is a world I can't live in.
True...we must always be grateful for such a beautiful line
You know, with the New Donk City stage having Pauline in the back and singing "Jump Up, Super Star"...

What if she sings all the songs available for the stage, and that's the stage's gimmick?

And with that thought, I'm going to head to bed. It's 2 AM where I live.
I’d just keep her singing Mario music on the New Donk City stage, though that would be perfect on every other stage to have atleast one song remixed by Pauline

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wonder if Pacman will still smile when he drowns.

My boy, this peace is what all true speculators strive FOR.
I just wonder what Ganon's up to.

But yeah, on topic, I would love to see Pauline sing any of those songs KMDP listed.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean again. The game has been in development since early 2016. I'm sure there's still a ton of content we haven't seen yet.

Enchess

Smash Lord
You know what would be better than Pauline singing DK Rap though? Her singing an extended DK Rap that introduces every character in Smash Ultimate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why the hell would you want Pauline to sing the DK Rap?
Richard Yearwood, who voiced DK in the DKC TV show, is still alive and well. :4dk:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
heavy.. but aerially agile? he uses the side b grab anywhere near the edge and that's a stock, I'm scared, and I feel justified
From what I've heard he can't combo off side b. I don't know why that would be a stock.

Keep in mind though things change. I'm excited for Ridley but I'm not really intimidated by him based on what I've seen and heard, which is very little but still.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know what would be better than Pauline singing DK Rap though? Her singing an extended DK Rap that introduces every character in Smash Ultimate.
Aw, that'd be awesome! I just wonder how long the rap would be.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Here's the tweet that BlondeLombax is linking too:

Also, if this is true....... then holy ****. THAT's a shock. Maybe some of my dreams aren't just dreams after all....
Oh this just sounds like generic reaching. I dislike these 'leaks' which amount to "OMG u guyz u wll be totez hypd!" since hype is different for each person. Unless that means we're getting a playable Dovahkiin, I can't see anything topping Squirtle returning.

But I am curious as to what else could be inbound. We still know nothing of the single player modes, and there are still more characters left to reveal. Is this meant to imply another Subspace?

All I know is that this All-Star mode is going to be AWESOME!

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
And it also got a remake.

The start of the franchise essentially getting a reimagining is cool and all, but again, "redefining the genre" is a pretty bold claim for a game that provided little to back-up said claim. ESPECIALLY if it's just Zelda 1, but in HD with a new coat of paint layered over it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Richard Yearwood, who voiced DK in the DKC TV show, is still alive and well. :4dk:
I'd love to hear him sing a song in Smash Ultimate. He did have a great singing voice, yes. So why not?

Enchess

Smash Lord
Aw, that'd be awesome! I just wonder how long the rap would be.
Can we really call it "Ultimate" if the new DK Rap isn't at least 2 hrs long? She can introduce the assist trophies and pokeball pokemon too if she has to to reach that length.

Untouch

Smash Master

Also, if this is true....... then holy ****. THAT's a shock. Maybe some of my dreams aren't just dreams after all....
Well they've showed no single player stuff yet.
Also "apparently".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And it also got a remake.

The start of the franchise essentially getting a reimagining is cool and all, but again, "redefining the genre" is a pretty bold claim for a game that provided little to back-up said claim.
oh lmao BotW didn't redefine anything for gaming, it took **** from all the big games like Todd Howard Shilling V, Aonuma even said so lol

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Can we really call it "Ultimate" if the new DK Rap isn't at least 2 hrs long? She can introduce the assist trophies and pokeball pokemon too if she has to to reach that length.
Heh heh! I'd love to hear her sing about Waluigi in the case of Assist Trophies. I wonder what she'd say about him?

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
That's why I edited, since I wasn't sure. Rare definitely had no involvement with ED, that much is certain.
I remember there was that kickstarter for a spiritual successor to ED, Shadow of the Eternals. IDK if it was because Nintendo owned some of the rights or if Silicon Knights even existed still, but in any case the kickstarter flopped. A real shame, ED is one of my favorite horror games.

Does the game have any kind of fan base in Japan? I hate the feeling that it's asking too much to even get a trophy to represent this GCN gem.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No one claimed BoTW redefined gaming. It redefined Zelda.

Like no other recent game did. You can try to take that away from it, but you'd just be lying to yourself.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm aware. Blatant pandering and appealing to nostalgia does not a masterpiece make.
I think it was less pandering and more revisiting the original design document. Zelda was meant to be the open counterpart to Mario but became railroaded as things went on.

That and doing the Nintendo thing of jumping on trains just as/after they left the platform. Like how they thought online gaming was a fad.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

All Star is going to be quite the marathon...this is going to be insane.

And if there is a Story mode......dear lord....

D

Deleted member

Titanic stage confirmed!!!

Also Jack is a new character with a bad recovery, especially with the new swimming mechanics!!! :chuckle:
There will be also a new Assist Trophy, the Rapping Dog:

PARTY TIME! PARTY TIME!

Also, since we are talking about Zelda newcomers, i could see Skull Kid actually making it in if only because Majora's Mask 3D helping him a little. He was always a fan-favorite that originated from a Cult Classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I want to hear DK shout "BANANA SLAMMA" every time he uses his forward air.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
No one claimed BoTW redefined gaming. It redefined Zelda.

Like no other recent game did. You can try to take that away from it, but you'd just be lying to yourself.
Any game can garner the title of "redefined" when that essentially means to make it different.

Skyward Sword as a whole redefined Zelda by purely having the most immersive controls as well as introducing stamina. To argue against that, at least in concept, is kidding yourself.

In truth, there's no definitive way to play these games. Zelda, like Mario, constantly evolves and innovates. Such a claim like that, by virtue, implies a coherent setting and lack of creativity and freedom involved with the project. Remember New Super Mario Bros.? That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I was bored enough to search through the /v/ archive for Smash leaks I might've missed. Found a couple. Two of them may/may not be serious though

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421634019/more-smash-info
12 x 6 character select screen, though not sure if it'll be completely filled out.
> you start with a 6 x 2 character select screen
> digital (fake) shop to 'buy' characters, stages and costumes with 'coins'. You earn coins with every game mode (à la Arms probably).
> game updates bring more costumes to the shop.
> 'tourney mode' option unlocks everything but defaults to off on restart
> pause screen is a 'photo mode', enhancing the graphics and allowing several filters (à la Mario Odyssey I guess)
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421426667/smash-leaks
Settling the score here, some of you have already figured it out, but here's the scoop.
Waluigi is in. His moveset isn't entirely sports based. His theme is 'Wacky' but not like a joke character.
I'm not revealing much in the interest of still keeping things as a surprise.
Here's some background information. Waluigi wasn't seen during any of the gameplay at E3, this is intentional. This all leads into the next direct.
Remember when he got KO'd in the assist trophy trailer?

>Direct pulls a 'one more thing' and goes on about a new fighter in smash.
>Cut to scene 1, object is flying through the sky, ala team rocket.
>Second cut is a zoomed in shot on Delfino Plaza, with an increasingly louder "Waaa" in the distance
>loud thud, and glass breaking can be heard. Waluigi's hat falls on screen. Camera then slowly zooms out and reveals a broken assist trophy
>Waluigi's feet seen kicking and stomping the assist trophy.
>picks up hat
>zooms out to putting hat on
>WALUIGI REVEAL

Source: I am the dad who works at Nintendo.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421575884/heres-your-smash-ultimate-roster
This one both seems like a wishlist and is too good to be true.
Newcomers: Geno, Ashley, K. Rool, Incineroar, Bandana Dee, Elma, Isaac, Wonder Red, Lip, Chorus Men
Echoes: Dark Samus, Dixie Kong(?), Chrom, Black Shadow, Shadow

Also, a question, but I'm thinking about compiling a count of how many times characters are mentioned in 4chan text leaks. Would you guys be interested in seeing something like that?

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I hate the feeling that it's asking too much to even get a trophy to represent this GCN gem.
I hope we get an ED trophy. I'm not really attached to the series personally (just want horror rep), but I know it feels good to see a trophy and know Nintendo hasn't forgotten about a game you love. It may sting not to get the character you want in Smash, but it stings so much more to not even get a trophy.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That just gatekeeping. You're not the one who decides who really wants something.

There are tons of characters I've wanted but don't regularly bring up because their odds are so low that hoping for them is fruitless. It doesn't mean I want them any less. Hell, Chrom is the biggest example for me. Because at the end of the day, this thread is about speculation more than wish listing. Half the time when something is brought up here that isn't seen as likely, it gets little to no response. The other half of the time, it lasts a little while before someone comes in saying something along the lines of "why are we wasting our time discussing this?" because they're too focused on what's likely.

People realize certain characters have more volatile odds. It's a now or never thing. So if they pass their age of relevance, they don't bring them up because no one is willing to discuss them. It doesn't make them any less of fans than people actively campaigning while pretending it'll make a difference.
So people lose interest in characters just because a bunch of nobody forum members that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about say "no."

That only highlights my point that these people don't care about these characters if they quickly abandon them like that. Like for example people have being saying that type of stuff for King K. Rool and Isaac, but that isn't stopping people from trying to support them anyway. That shows people actually cares about these characters if they're willing to defy actual expectations just for the sake of wanting something. Genuine support like that will never die.

Untouch

Smash Master
I was bored enough to search through the /v/ archive for Smash leaks I might've missed. Found a couple. Two of them may/may not be serious though

12 x 6 character select screen, though not sure if it'll be completely filled out.
> digital (fake) shop to 'buy' characters, stages and costumes with 'coins'. You earn coins with every game mode (à la Arms probably).
> pause screen is a 'photo mode', enhancing the graphics and allowing several filters (à la Mario Odyssey I guess)
Settling the score here, some of you have already figured it out, but here's the scoop.
Waluigi is in. His moveset isn't entirely sports based. His theme is 'Wacky' but not like a joke character.
Here's some background information. Waluigi wasn't seen during any of the gameplay at E3, this is intentional. This all leads into the next direct.

>Second cut is a zoomed in shot on Delfino Plaza, with an increasingly louder "Waaa" in the distance
>loud thud, and glass breaking can be heard. Waluigi's hat falls on screen. Camera then slowly zooms out and reveals a broken assist trophy
>picks up hat
>WALUIGI REVEAL

Newcomers: Geno, Ashley, K. Rool, Incineroar, Bandana Dee, Elma, Isaac, Wonder Red, Lip, Chorus Men

Also, a question, but I'm thinking about compiling a count of how many times characters are mentioned in 4chan text leaks. Would you guys be interested in seeing something like that?
Regarding the first one, sakurai sounded like he didn't want characters to be purchasable like you'd buy cars in racing games.
Rest are dumb unbelievable leaks.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So people lose interest in characters just because a bunch of nobody forum members that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about say "no."

That only highlights my point that these people don't care about these characters if they quickly abandon them like that. Like for example people have being saying that type of stuff for King K. Rool and Isaac, but that isn't stopping people from trying to support them anyway. That shows people actually cares about these characters if they're willing to defy actual expectations just for the sake of wanting something. Genuine support like that will never die.
People don't lose interest, they become less optimistic and think it's not going to happen, god.

Er.... Midna's support group here has been surprisingly large then since 4 and I've only seen a single person say "I want Isaac in the new Smash game" and he's a friend from a different site entirely. Before you inevitably go "Then you aren't looking in the right places" reminder that this also works against you.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

>picks up hat
>WALUIGI REVEAL

I like stats so yea I would be interested lol.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I'll see what happens...

Here's hoping to see some of the modes soon.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

So I'd get my 4 of my Top 5 most wanted (Ridley, K Rool, Isaac, Elma), unique 1st party characters I'd be thrilled to play as (Ashley, Bandana Dee, Lip, Chorus Men), pretty good echo choices, and some of the only third parties that won't annoy me (Wonder Red and Geno). The only downside for me is Incineroar and Shadow seem kinda lame...

Yeah, I'm definitely not that lucky....

I'd find that count interesting. When the Simon 'leak' happened and everyone took it as fact because of Ridley, I was confused because nearly every fake leak I saw pre-E3 included Ridley. It seemed like an extremely common guess, not a bold one. It'd be nice to have data of how bold predictions actually are to compare seemingly real leaks to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom