• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I hope we get an ED trophy. I'm not really attached to the series personally (just want horror rep), but I know it feels good to see a trophy and know Nintendo hasn't forgotten about a game you love. It may sting not to get the character you want in Smash, but it stings so much more to not even get a trophy.
I was hoping it'd at least get a sticker in Brawl :(

The real shame is games like that exist in an awkward point in history that won't likely get recognized in smash. What I mean is that unless it's an NES era character/series, there isn't much chance of a retro property getting recognized. On top of that, games like ED and Geist are arguably "retro", despite the games possibly being older than some posters on this board.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I sure wish we had a plumber to patch up all these leaks. :ultmario:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was bored enough to search through the /v/ archive for Smash leaks I might've missed. Found a couple. Two of them may/may not be serious though

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421634019/more-smash-info
12 x 6 character select screen, though not sure if it'll be completely filled out.
> you start with a 6 x 2 character select screen
> digital (fake) shop to 'buy' characters, stages and costumes with 'coins'. You earn coins with every game mode (à la Arms probably).
> game updates bring more costumes to the shop.
> 'tourney mode' option unlocks everything but defaults to off on restart
> pause screen is a 'photo mode', enhancing the graphics and allowing several filters (à la Mario Odyssey I guess)
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421426667/smash-leaks
Settling the score here, some of you have already figured it out, but here's the scoop.
Waluigi is in. His moveset isn't entirely sports based. His theme is 'Wacky' but not like a joke character.
I'm not revealing much in the interest of still keeping things as a surprise.
Here's some background information. Waluigi wasn't seen during any of the gameplay at E3, this is intentional. This all leads into the next direct.
Remember when he got KO'd in the assist trophy trailer?

>Direct pulls a 'one more thing' and goes on about a new fighter in smash.
>Cut to scene 1, object is flying through the sky, ala team rocket.
>Second cut is a zoomed in shot on Delfino Plaza, with an increasingly louder "Waaa" in the distance
>loud thud, and glass breaking can be heard. Waluigi's hat falls on screen. Camera then slowly zooms out and reveals a broken assist trophy
>Waluigi's feet seen kicking and stomping the assist trophy.
>picks up hat
>zooms out to putting hat on
>WALUIGI REVEAL

Source: I am the dad who works at Nintendo.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421575884/heres-your-smash-ultimate-roster
This one both seems like a wishlist and is too good to be true.
Newcomers: Geno, Ashley, K. Rool, Incineroar, Bandana Dee, Elma, Isaac, Wonder Red, Lip, Chorus Men
Echoes: Dark Samus, Dixie Kong(?), Chrom, Black Shadow, Shadow

Also, a question, but I'm thinking about compiling a count of how many times characters are mentioned in 4chan text leaks. Would you guys be interested in seeing something like that?
Time for another rousing round of leak review
1: Very safe, seems extremely plausible!
2: Needs some more evidence, even if made up like an anniversary or a direct. No recent direct announcement to corroborate it either. Meh.
3: Way too fan-ficy. Trailers generally don't follow a storyline like this outside of Bowser Jr.'s taking place in the same valley where Megaman was announced. Absolutely unbelievable, especially after the assist trophy has already been seen.
4: Just another fan roster passed off as a leak. The most uninspired of them all.

blackghost

Smash Champion
this new leak seems way too much like waluigi conspiracy nonsense. so Nintendo intentionally misled its base by deconfriming a character only to confirm him later?? i've never seen a dev do this in a fighting game before let alone one that has a history of being rather straight with its consumers.
and that character confirm list is just "fan favorites" (read smash fan favorites).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So people lose interest in characters just because a bunch of nobody forum members that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about say "no."

That only highlights my point that these people don't care about these characters if they quickly abandon them like that. Like for example people have being saying that type of stuff for King K. Rool and Isaac, but that isn't stopping people from trying to support them anyway. That shows people actually cares about these characters if they're willing to defy actual expectations just for the sake of wanting something. Genuine support like that will never die.
Except they didn't lose interest. You're reading what you want to read instead of what's actually there.

My point is that your No True Scotsman bull is at odds with reality. If people as a whole don't see something as likely, it's not gonna get much discussion, so people don't bring it up. Everyone else seemingly understands it so I don't see what your deal is here.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sorry to just start up another conversation like this, but I was thinking about this earlier and figured it would be worth mentioning. Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers, we all know that by now. Thinking back though, Ultimate isn't the first Smash roster to have a limited selection of newcomers.

Melee added 8 original newcomers and 6 clone characters. A lot of people are saying that six more original newcomers seems like a fair amount, which I agree with, and it's making me think about this. The introduction of echo characters was likely a way to further normalize clone characters, and Melee's short development encouraged the use of clones to pad the roster instead of developing one entirely new character. I definitely expect a handful of additional echoes this time around, since the term was introduced and all.

I'm not saying we'll be seeing 6 echo characters, although I am saying Melee's newcomer lineup may be a pretty good basis for what we could expect moving forward. After all, Ultimate is shaping up to be all about the characters, and knowing we have a limited pool I think it's safe to say we may be seeing a similar approach? I'm kind of just rambling now but I figured this observation was worth sharing.

Enchess

Smash Lord
The game pauses and goes to NO CONTEST, only to return to the match a few seconds later :laugh:
I can't believe how quickly an ED AT skyrocketed to one of my most wanted features. What if in stock mode it gave everyone a random number of stocks on their stock display? Or during time mode it makes the timer jump increments and decrements by seemingly random amounts.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I was bored enough to search through the /v/ archive for Smash leaks I might've missed. Found a couple. Two of them may/may not be serious though

12 x 6 character select screen, though not sure if it'll be completely filled out.
> digital (fake) shop to 'buy' characters, stages and costumes with 'coins'. You earn coins with every game mode (à la Arms probably).
> pause screen is a 'photo mode', enhancing the graphics and allowing several filters (à la Mario Odyssey I guess)
Settling the score here, some of you have already figured it out, but here's the scoop.
Waluigi is in. His moveset isn't entirely sports based. His theme is 'Wacky' but not like a joke character.
Here's some background information. Waluigi wasn't seen during any of the gameplay at E3, this is intentional. This all leads into the next direct.

>Second cut is a zoomed in shot on Delfino Plaza, with an increasingly louder "Waaa" in the distance
>loud thud, and glass breaking can be heard. Waluigi's hat falls on screen. Camera then slowly zooms out and reveals a broken assist trophy
>picks up hat
>WALUIGI REVEAL

Newcomers: Geno, Ashley, K. Rool, Incineroar, Bandana Dee, Elma, Isaac, Wonder Red, Lip, Chorus Men

Also, a question, but I'm thinking about compiling a count of how many times characters are mentioned in 4chan text leaks. Would you guys be interested in seeing something like that?
In regards to the second leak, no way I am believing K. Rool will be revealed on July 1st, as much as I want him in. I don't believe the other leaks as well, Not even the fourth one, which seems made up and, as another user said, too good to be true.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Except they didn't lose interest. You're reading what you want to read instead of what's actually there.

My point is that your No True Scotsman bull is at odds with reality. If people as a whole don't see something as likely, it's not gonna get much discussion, so people don't bring it up. Everyone else seemingly understands it so I don't see what your deal is here.
Exactly this. Everyone has pipe dream nobody characters they secretly want, but they don't go out of their way to discuss the chances of those characters because they already know they won't appear. If you want to see specific characters discussed, just head on over to the wanted newcomer support threads.
(Or they have their obscure character wants hidden away at the bottom of their signature)

Seriously, "I want more Zelda characters like these ones I like" is not the same as "I want more Zelda characters just for the sake of more Zelda characters"

Last edited:

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I really, really want a sequel to Subspace Emissary in Ultimate. I know the development time has probably been too short for something on the same scale as the original SE, but I'm still holding out hope. tbh Subspace Emissary is my favourite part of Brawl and it's in high contention for my favourite thing in all Smash.

edit: Even if the execution may not have been the best, the idea was fantastic and a sequel would hopefully be able to greatly improve on it.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The only thing related to Smash on july 1st is CEO. And I doubt there will be a newcomer revealed there.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Exactly this. Everyone has pipe dream nobody characters they secretly want, but they don't go out of their way to discuss the chances of those characters because they already know they won't appear. If you want to see specific characters discussed, just head on over to the wanted newcomer support threads.
(Or they have their obscure character wants hidden away at the bottom of their signature)

Seriously, "I want more Zelda characters (usually followed with a suggestion)" is not the same as "I want more Zelda characters just to fill a quota"
My most wanted, Boshi, DESERVES to be in Smash for the following reasons:

His shades

Also when I googled for this image, I found a surprising amount of fat art of him. My soul is dead...

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why the hell would you want Pauline to sing the DK Rap?
Richard Yearwood, who voiced DK in the DKC TV show, is still alive and well. :4dk:
Imma need him to come back to voice DK as well as sing all the songs from the show and the DK Rap

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'd say 5%.

Newcomers were generally only revealed for SSB4 and up at E3 and Nintendo Directs. I 'd added a bit higher score since there was the oddballs like Pac-Man and Robin & Lucina.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd say 5%.

Newcomers were generally only revealed for SSB4 and up at E3 and Nintendo Directs. I 'd added a bit higher score since there was the oddballs like Pac-Man and Robin & Lucina.
I see then. Not doubting you, but what if this was one of the oddballs? Anyway, I feel it is too soon for a reveal by July first.

My most wanted, Boshi, DESERVES to be in Smash for the following reasons:

His shades

Also when I googled for this image, I found a surprising amount of fat art of him. My soul is dead...
Did you know, in Japan, Boshi was called Washi?

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman

>picks up hat
>WALUIGI REVEAL

The 2nd one will be shown of its real or not very soon

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh btw, I don't if this was brought up yet, but how awful do you think the UI of this game will be? Remember last time with that Menu Screen!!!
Brawl's menu was total kino, something similar to it would be great.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Because I don't listen to a bunch of rabid Nintendo fanboys who pretend they know what they're talking about when they clearly don't, and think they're the majority when in reality they're a minority desperately making up conspiracy theories over why "Daddy Sakurai" seemingly hates their guts.

That's why I ignore everything about "odds" posted on forums like these.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because I don't listen to a bunch of rabid Nintendo fanboys who pretend they know what they're talking about when they clearly don't, and think they're the majority when in reality they're a minority desperately making up conspiracy theories over why "Daddy Sakurai" seemingly hates their guts.

They wouldn't call him Daddy if they actually thought he did. :p I'm quite fond of saying daddy sakurai, guess you just had to be there.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Why the hell would you want Pauline to sing the DK Rap?
Richard Yearwood, who voiced DK in the DKC TV show, is still alive and well. :4dk:
Why not have them both sing it...
at the same time?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Projecting much?
Literally nobody here's been doing any conspiracy theories other than that one guy who suggested Waluigi was actually playable but manipulated footage is used to trick people. Then everyone went "lol no that's stupid you're stupid".

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I still feel like this might be the Smash game where we won't believe the complete roster because it's too good to be true. Every revealed detail has been ''What the fans want."

Inkling, Ridley, Daisy, almost all the stages returning so far, every prior character. Why would Sakurai stop the trend?

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, right now, my biggest fear is the 71 character roster(which means 7 left to reveal) comes true.

Mostly because of 2 reasons:

DLC is going to make it look VERY messy when added.

If it really is 6 rows of 12, which I assume the reason for would be to keep the original 12 together, that would instantly kill characters like Dark Samus or Funky as people included as echoes, since they'd be wanting to keep the OG12 together.

I just hope they go OVER 7 more so the roster isn't perfectly symmetrical. That way DLC can be added without butchering the symmetry.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I still feel like this might be the Smash game where we won't believe the complete roster because it's too good to be true. Every revealed detail has been ''What the fans want."

Inkling, Ridley, Daisy, almost all the stages returning so far, every prior character. Why would Sakurai stop the trend?
This reminds of how Ultimate leaked on 4chan a few weeks before E3 and had the newcomers, Bomberman and the name right yet was dismissed as fake. Tbf Ultimate is a **** name lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wasn't it confirmed the CSS is based on when they joined the series?
Yes, but the website allows you to rather sort them by series. It may be an option that they will give in the Settings.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
It saddens me how Sakurai seems to be against adding Kirby characters because he created the series. There are lots of characters I'd want in that seem unlikely because of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom