• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I found this while researching Resident Evil and Smash:

Now I am pretty sure Leon is the most popular. I could be wrong, but that is what I am feeling at the moment. I think I will make an analysis for the character soon. This is probably one of the most interesting characters I could ever analyze in Smash.
I’m hoping people changed their minds about this, cause Jill and Claire >
Palutena already explained why Chrom can't be Ike's Echo Fighter :pView attachment 149838
That whole guidance was just Chrom getting roasted by two fellow top tier waifus
The ironic part is that Chrom actually does. He gets Aether in Awakening and uses a high jump with a spinning somersault landing in one of the cutscenes.
Always wondered if that was just a lack of research by the Treehouse team or an error that existed in the Japanese version too.
Or it’s just Palutena making a mistake like she usually does before somebody corrects her
People who feel Sakurai owes them a character because of some arbitrary reason should like, cease. :4charizard:
Sakurai owes me Viridi cause she’s adorable
Nah personally I'll be plenty happy if we get at least one of Zelda's vast array of unique characters as playable, regardless of who it is.
And that one Zelda newcomer (if not Impa or Tingle) should be...Linkle
I pretty much expect him to come back to the next DKC game, especially as there already has been plenty of things indicating we're getting a new title for the Switch
There has been?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given that both the CEO of Retro Studios as well as the Retro Studios accout backed a twitter campaign to bring back K. Rool, I pretty much expect him to come back to the next DKC game, especially as there already has been plenty of things indicating we're getting a new title for the Switch. It's not a matter of if, but when he comes back as far as I'm concerned.
On that note, the latest DKC being on Switch makes sense, since TF was largely a port and not THE console's big DKC title. Plus I noticed that one main entry by Retro has shown up per system generation since the Wii, so far, so the pattern might be there.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Honestly, at this point we're just going to have to agree to disagree. It's getting stale and both sides clearly won't give up.

I fixed my mistake but I also know I never did any of the accusations made towards me but, whatever.

Like I said, could care less if they get a newcomer, as I see the roster as already great. I just don't believe for a second that the situations for those characters favor either. They're relatively in the same boat as these ome-offs won't appear again in the series which is common knowledge so they may as well be defunct by default, which is also looking to be the case for K. Rool: A defunct, retired villain at this point.

The likes of Ghirahim or Zant fit this to a T and yet the former remains my most wanted Zelda newcomer out of bias. Come to think of it though... we haven't seen his Assist yet either, huh? I'd laugh if he ends up a Shiek clone instead of Impa.

KMDP

Smash Legend
so, because random subject changing is fun, anyone have random pipe dream characters that make literally no sense and have about zero chance of making it in but want them anyway?
Cuphead, and Monika. Fight me memers, zero irony/sarcasm was in that statement
Monika is always best girl, but in all honesty, you really can't make a moveset for anyone else, but the intellectual complexity that went into that game is mind blowing
I have a pipe dream character that I'll be making a Stock Icon for tomorrow. (It's not one that I want necessarily, but they are one I don't see happening, even though they got their start on a Nintendo system and still have games coming out)
No it's not Shantae. :laugh:
But I don't want to say who it is 'cause it'll ruin the surprise on the Newcomer Stock Icons thread.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, at this point we're just going to have to agree to disagree. It's getting stale and both sides clearly won't give up.

I fixed my mistake but I also know I never did any of the accusations made towards me but, whatever.

Like I said, could care less if they get a newcomer, as I see the roster as already great. I just don't believe for a second that the situations for those characters favor either. They're relatively in the same boat as these ome-offs won't appear again in the series which is common knowledge so they may as well be defunct by default, which is also looking to be the case for K. Rool: A defunct, retired villain at this point.

The likes of Ghirahim or Zant fit this to a T and yet the former remains my most wanted Zelda newcomer out of bias. Come to think of it though... we haven't seen his Assist yet either, huh? I'd laugh if he ends up a Shiek clone instead of Impa.
No we did see Ghirahim at the Treehouse footage

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I was just watching the Japanese version of the Everyone is Here! Trailer, and I gotta say, I think the "Everyone is Here" was presented more impactfully than it was in English.
The sfx they used definitely hit a lot harder, but I guess it wouldn't have worked as well in English.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't know, it makes a lot more sense tha people who think Zelda's the only franchise to exist. If you don't like the franchise that's fine but you're surprisingly hostile about it
So I hate the Zelda series just because I think the choices of Zelda newcomers are very weak and people are only begging for them because they feel the need to fill an imaginary quota.

Look I've been there since the Brawl days and people are always fickle about this subject, constantly switching to a new character whenever a new character shows up, and that fickleness is what ultimately bites them in the ass. There's no point in including a newcomer if fans don't actually care about these random one-shot characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
so, because random subject changing is fun, anyone have random pipe dream characters that make literally no sense and have about zero chance of making it in but want them anyway?
Cuphead, and Monika. Fight me memers, zero irony/sarcasm was in that statement
Monika is always best girl, but in all honesty, you really can't make a moveset for anyone else, but the intellectual complexity that went into that game is mind blowing
Yup. My signature will probably have Lyn on it forever.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was just watching the Japanese version of the Everyone is Here! Trailer, and I gotta say, I think the "Everyone is Here" was presented more impactfully than it was in English.
The sfx they used definitely hit a lot harder, but I guess it wouldn't have worked as well in English.
全員参戦
It means something like "Complete Participation".

Less catchy than "Everyone is here". To be honest.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Oh well.

Sucks but, I'll get over it.

I'm not expecting any Champions due to exactly what hapoened with Midna/Zant and Impa/Ghirahim last game. They not only have competition amongst each other, but are the flavor-of-the-month characters from the newest game which is a fad that never worked and has only gotten characters as Assists at best.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So I hate the Zelda series just because I think the choices of Zelda newcomers are very weak and people are only begging for them because they feel the need to fill an imaginary quota.

Look I've been there since the Brawl days and people are always fickle about this subject, constantly switching to a new character whenever a new character shows up, and that fickleness is what ultimately bites them in the ***. There's no point in including a newcomer if fans don't actually care about these random one-shot characters.
You clearly had something against the franchise in Smash judging by that behaviour of "Zelda fans think Zelda is the only franchise in existence". And fans DO care, wasn't Midna's popularity so high Aonuma planned on using her again? And Ghirahim'sincredibly well-liked for being the only good thing to come out of Skyward Sword.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This Zelda talk is boring and frustrating, here's a REAL debate:

Untitled.png
VS
Untitled.png

Mach Rider, the super ripped guy who's actually ZSS before ZSS VS Excitebiker, he's a guy on a bike and he's excited.
Both are similar, and both have their people who want either/or as a fighter. But which one is the better representative of biker gangs?

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
And Ghirahim'sincredibly well-liked for being the only good thing to come out of Skyward Sword.
No love for the dungeons or sky birds (at least as a concept)? Skyward Sword actually reignited my love of the series after a replay of Twilight Princess killed it for a while (nothing against TP, I just don't care for it personally after replaying it).

As for Mach Rider vs Excitebike, Mach Rider 100%. I have less familiarity with him, so it'll give me an excuse to try his game. Excitebike is hard for me to imagine as a playable character.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You clearly had something against the franchise in Smash judging by that behaviour of "Zelda fans think Zelda is the only franchise in existence". And fans DO care, wasn't Midna's popularity so high Aonuma planned on using her again? And Ghirahim'sincredibly well-liked for being the only good thing to come out of Skyward Sword.
Gwen remember our convseration about not making things bigger than they are?

You're doing it again.

Moreover, Skyward Sword was awesome. Shut up with that malarky.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This Zelda talk is boring and frustrating, here's a REAL debate:

VS

Mach Rider, the super ripped guy who's actually ZSS before ZSS VS Excitebiker, he's a guy on a bike and he's excited.
Both are similar, and both have their people who want either/or as a fighter. But which one is the better representative of biker gangs?
Easy. Mach Rider. Dude/Woman rides an actual motorcycle and uses guns.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
全員参戦
It means something like "Complete Participation".

Less catchy than "Everyone is here". To be honest.
It may not be as catchy, but the sound effects for the symbols were better.
In the Jp trailer they're hard slams, but in English they were more like weird clicks.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No love for the dungeons or sky birds (at least as a concept)? Skyward Sword actually reignited my love of the series after a replay of Twilight Princess killed it for a while (nothing against TP, I just don't care for it personally after replaying it).
I think Skyward Sword had amazing ideas and was well and truly original in many of its aspects.

It just suffered heavily from Nintendo style hand-holding, to the point where I love the game and would recommend it to anyone, but would never EEEEEVER play it again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nope for the dungeons, yes for the concept of birds
Gwen remember our convseration about not making things bigger than they are?

You're doing it again.

Moreover, Skyward Sword was awesome. Shut up with that malarky.
Swamp, you don't use that kind of wording for something you like or are ok with, trust me, I too know how to be petty as hell about things I dislike

ALSO NO SKYWARD SWORD MORE LIKE SNOREEEEEEEE! Cool that you could enjoy it though
It may not be as catchy, but the sound effects for the symbols were better.
In the Jp trailer they're hard slams, but in English they were more like weird clicks.
See the clicks reminded me of the old 3D Sonic games loading boss titles

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Skyward Sword provided quite a good amount of things.

Groose, Ghirahim who was actually intimidating and had a quirky, yet cocky personality, pure as heck Zelda who you really do feel the need to protect from how precious she is, establishing the series' lore, a small hubworld with a setting of you being a knight-in-training who was actually prone to harassment and bullying from your peers, a nice artstyle and aesthetic, controls that made you feel involved (I do realize the fatal flaw of this kind of design too; it was just a nice concept that personally worked for me), and quite possibly one of the more unique desert areas we've had with a really interesting gimmick as well as the ancient temple with the undead thing underground.

It had its flaws, but overall, I'd say it was enjoyable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If they did they wouldn't quickly abandon them for the next hot fad. That's a blatant sign of apathy.
Or, hear me out, they still enjoy them but realize their window of opportunity closed, so they don't pretend they're still likely.

Not that hard of a conclusion to come to.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, if we're having a Zelda debate...

I love the grittier Zeldas. Ocarina was great, I loved Majora, and Twilight Princess was one of my favorite games ever. I never played Skyward since I was so salty that they made him right-handed, but I mostly got over it in time for the Elder Scrolls: Hyrule, which was loads of fun.

I'm not so much a fan of the toon versions, but Wind Waker had one of the best soundtracks.

If they did they wouldn't quickly abandon them for the next hot fad. That's a blatant sign of apathy.
...really? I'm still seeing ridiculous support for characters like Midna, and she's 12 years old at this point. I get that not everyone likes Zelda, but that's patently false.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Who is this "they" you speak of?
Because all I see is an imaginary strawman that you've seemingly created from an amalgam of random different users wanting recent Zelda characters.

This, of course, is ignoring the Zelda fans who've supported older characters since the release of their original games.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
As someone who's Zelda experience begins and ends with A Link Between Worlds, I thought Zelda's redesign was neat when it was revealed. I otherwise don't have strong feelings concerning newcomers and their individual likelihoods for appearing.

Shroob

Sup?
Can we all just agree that at the very least, now that Metroid got a new character, DK's been in dire need of at least 1 more new character since Brawl?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Can we all just agree that at the very least, now that Metroid got a new character, DK's been in dire need of at least 1 more new character since Brawl?
That is heavily opinionated. DK doesn't "need" a new character any more than any other franchise.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I actually haven't played Skyward Sword. Heard it has its flaws, but what game doesn't?

Out of all the Zelda games, Breath of the Wild has got to be my favorite. The world, gameplay, visuals, music, story, characters, and more were so damn good. Link's new outfit took some time to get used to, but it's grown on me. Really upset though that Zelda's design in Smash Ultimate wasn't based on her Breath of the Wild design, or that Ganondorf didn't get an original design.

Out of the traditional style Zelda games though, Twilight Princess is my favorite. Second favorite Zelda game overall. I loved the werewolf dynamic, the bosses and their dungeons were fun and memorable, and Midna was such a fun character. Shame she didn't make it as playable in Smash.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Skyward Sword provided quite a good amount of things.

Groose, Ghirahim who was actually intimidating and had a quirky, yet cocky personality, pure as heck Zelda who you really do feel the need to protect from how precious she is, establishing the series' lore, a small hubworld with a setting of you being a knight-in-training who was actually prone to harassment and bullying from your peers, a nice artstyle and aesthetic, controls that made you feel involved (I do realize the fatal flaw of this kind of design too; it was just a nice concept that personally worked for me), and quite possibly one of the more unique desert areas we've had with a really interesting gimmick as well as the ancient temple with the undead thing underground.

It had its flaws, but overall, I'd say it was enjoyable.
The boat-desert part of Skyward Sword is genuinely one of the coolest ideas for a desert area I've ever seen.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
DK is very parched, to say the least. It would be more favorable for one more character, even if an Echo Fighter or Clone.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Or, hear me out, they still enjoy them but realize their window of opportunity closed, so they don't pretend they're still likely.

Not that hard of a conclusion to come to.
Yet to this day people are still pushing for miscellaneous characters like Geno, Isaac, and King K. Rool despite similarly having their "opportunity closed".

People will defy odds just for the sake of getting characters they actually want. When they don't want a character they'll quickly abandon it, which is what you see with a lot of Zelda characters.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't care if we get Dixie, K. Rool, or Wrinkly Kong at this point. I just want someone else in my favorite platforming series (and please 1 non-jungle DK stage).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I honestly don't consider BotW that great of a game.
I consider it to be amazing.

It has stories of rivalries, sisterhood and friendship, family, shakes up the formula of the series, provides a voice acting element to the storytelling for the first time. It's the closest thing to Ocarina we've gotten in terms of doing so much to shake Zelda to it's core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom