• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Please Skull Kid! It's now or never!!!!

I can't believe he's actually getting viewed as one of the most likely Zelda newcomers!

A Halloween reveal would be perfect I think. Also Young Link vs Skull Kid on Great Bay
Amazing what desyncing the big 3 (Link, Zelda & Ganondorf) can do to perceptions.

Skull Kid is one of the characters on the MIA list, along with Ashley, Isabelle, Gardevoir and Shadow the Hedgehog that gives us all hope for them. King K. Rool is technically there by he never had any Smash appearances before.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I knew Takamaru was going to be an Assist Trophy.
I feel bad for his supporters though.

Honestly Skull Kid is a good choice compared to all of the Zelda newcomers that are good. We did not see a Skull Kid Assist Trophy being used at least, so that is a good sign.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I used to be Team Skull Kid but now I’m Team Impa. And I was Team Toon Zelda even before those two.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I used to be Team Skull Kid but now I’m Team Impa. And I was Team Toon Zelda even before those two.
I've always been Team Vaati, but I'm also lowkey Team Lana (not because I particularly like the character, I just think she has moveset potential, I mean I do like her, but not as much as other, more noteworthy characters from the Zelda series).

I might explain my reasoning later.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well good luck to all teams. Who knows, with Echos we may get multiple new Zelda characters.

I'll be over here on Team Hilda.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Ya know, I'm already dreading the July drought.

Back in Brawl and Smash4 days, it was managable because every night had a chance of being something new that we had never seen before, and we were always on edge as to what we'd see next.

Now? We're pretty much set for the next month since Julys almost never get Directs, so everything's gonna be rehashed.

:sadsheep:
Just a reminder to everyone that Robin/Lucina's trailer dropped in July of 2014. Who knows? We could get a character reveal stream.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
That's simple; the trailers were made quite a bit beforehand and the final edition just changed the number.

Kind of funny when these silly things happen. Heck, Olimar's page says "Olimer" in the background.
That means sheik retainers her invincibility on her vanish since greninja move didn't damage her. The real question is what build the e3 demo was on.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You knows, even with all this incoming new content, I am more excited about getting more Street Fighter and Final Fantasy content. While they are my favorite third party franchises featured in Smash, I had little hope for their inclusion prior. Like F Tier wishlist material. For two third party franchises, they got very little in the way in content compared to Bayonetta. I am holding out that we get a Chun-li and Sephiroth Assist Trophies. A Phoenix Down item would be broken but awesome. and trophies! Yes, please more trophies! M Bison, Akima, Cammy, Guile, Sagat, Dhalsim, the broken down car in the bonus stage! Tifa, Barret, Aerith, the summons, Zack, Vincent, Midgard, Chocobos, cross dressing Cloud are all high on my list of desires content. Oh and not having One Wined Angel; both original and AC is purely criminal.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just jumped to the last page. Did anything happen for Skull Kid? Or is just because of his AT?
Nope, just a natural end result of random conversation.

You knows, even with all this incoming new content, I am more excited about getting more Street Fighter and Final Fantasy content. While they are my favorite third party franchises featured in Smash, I had little hope for their inclusion prior. Like F Tier wishlist material. For two third party franchises, they got very little in the way in content compared to Bayonetta. I am holding out that we get a Chun-li and Sephiroth Assist Trophies. A Phoenix Down item would be broken but awesome. and trophies! Yes, please more trophies! M Bison, Akima, Cammy, Guile, Sagat, Dhalsim, the broken down car in the bonus stage! Tifa, Barret, Aerith, the summons, Zack, Vincent, Midgard, Chocobos, cross dressing Cloud are all high on my list of desires content. Oh and not having One Wined Angel; both original and AC is purely criminal.
Might we expect
BREAK THE CAR
as a new Classic mode minigame?
I imagine (read: hope) that for Final Fantasy we get Sephiroth as a fighter, with Tifa and Aerith as assist trophies (I'd like Cloud's girlfirend Tifa to be a fighter too, but I'm more realistic than that. XD) EDIT: also, Zack as an alt for Cloud.

Expounding on Tifa and Aerith assist trophies; Tifa could replace the Little Mac Assist Trophy from Brawl, while Aerith could do what she does in Dissidia 012 (either heal you, stun the enemy, or give you temporary status buffs).

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm surprised Tetra doesn't get more mentions. She was probably the most promoted character in Legends and even showed up in Mario Maker out of the blue.

Imagine if we get both Skull Kid and Tetra with Impa as an Echo!!!!

watch us get nothing else for the series aside from what's already shown

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm surprised Tetra doesn't get more mentions. She was probably the most promoted character in Legends and even showed up in Mario Maker out of the blue.

I just want Zelda to get something at this point, our lineup is literally 3 Link's, 2 Zelda's and Ganondorf and I'm tired lmao

KMDP

Smash Legend

The issue with Tetra is... they don't really have a lot to pull from for moveset purpose (besides HWL/HW:DE, which might not be enough) I can picture her as an Assist Trophy, showing up and calling for a broadside (which would take the form of an "airstrike", kind of like Snake's new Final Smash, just not specifically targeted to one location).

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I am absolutely team any new unique Zelda character, but I am defintely also team Tetra & team Urbosa. Love my sassy badass ladies.

I'm also team realistically Impa will probably be an echo and the only Zelda newcomer
The issue with Tetra is... they don't really have a lot to pull from for moveset purpose (besides HWL/HW:DE, which might not be enough) I can picture her as an Assist Trophy, showing up and calling for a broadside (which would take the form of an "airstrike", kind of like Snake's new Final Smash, just not specifically targeted to one location).
So multiple things because I love Terta.

1. They did that with Sheik and just based her around ninjas, could do the same with Tetra and pirates.
2. Tetra had a whole Moveset pulled out of nowhere for Hyrule Warriors (Pistol?! Yes please!) and so they could pull from that. Even if not it's an example that it can be done for her.
3. This is the issue for every Zelda character at this point. If Impa didn't have the asheik echo possibility there would be nothing to pull for her either. Secondary Zelda characters just don't do a lot of fighting.

Anyway I just love characters like Tetra, Urbosa and Skull Kid and I think just because they aren't shown fighting much doesn't mean a move set can't be made for them. Hope I gave you some ideas for Tetra and maybe you could make a stock icon for her ;) lol

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
"Zelda needs a new rep, it only have 3 links, 2 zeldas and a ganondorf, and there hasn't been a new rep since a long time"
Meanwhile, F-Zero fans...
captain_falcon_by_lillaura6789.jpg

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nope, just a natural end result of random conversation.

Might we expect
BREAK THE CAR
as a new Classic mode minigame?
I imagine (read: hope) that for Final Fantasy we get Sephiroth as a fighter, with Tifa and Aerith as assist trophies (I'd like Cloud's girlfirend Tifa to be a fighter too, but I'm more realistic than that. XD) EDIT: also, Zack as an alt for Cloud.

Expounding on Tifa and Aerith assist trophies; Tifa could replace the Little Mac Assist Trophy from Brawl, while Aerith could do what she does in Dissidia 012 (either heal you, stun the enemy, or give you temporary status buffs).
A second FF7 rep is a stretch; even in casual speculation discussion. Sephiroth would be fun but I would just recommend playing Dissidia in that case. I really do want cross-dressing Cloud though. Knock out one of his palette swaps and put it in there.

KMDP

Smash Legend
"Zelda needs a new rep, it only have 3 links, 2 zeldas and a ganondorf, and there hasn't been a new rep since a long time"
Meanwhile, F-Zero fans...
View attachment 149782
The best thing to do would be to have Black Shadow and have him play like Melee/Brawl Ganondorf, then people who like the way Clone Ganondorf plays have someone to move to who at least makes more sense than a character from a different franchise.
A second FF7 rep is a stretch; even in casual speculation discussion. Sephiroth would be fun but I would just recommend playing Dissidia in that case. I really do want cross-dressing Cloud though. Knock out one of his palette swaps and put it in there.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm under absolutely no illusions that Sephiroth is highly unlikely. He's just probably the most likely second FF7 rep (with Tifa, then Vincent coming after, everyone else is really, really unlikely).
Barring Sephiroth, I can only see Sora (should Disney grace Square Enix with the permission to grant Sakurai the permission to use him), DQVIII Hero (maybe, DQVIII did rerelease for 3DS recently) and Crono as other Square characters.
Not having played SMRPG, I don't have any real connection to Geno, and little to no passion for him.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Amazing what desyncing the big 3 (Link, Zelda & Ganondorf) can do to perceptions.

Skull Kid is one of the characters on the MIA list, along with Ashley, Isabelle, Gardevoir and Shadow the Hedgehog that gives us all hope for them. King K. Rool is technically there by he never had any Smash appearances before.
I'm hoping for all those Assist Trophies/pokeball especially the last three.
Don't forget Kat & Ana I think they'll make a good Ice Climbers echo.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I will always be Team Urbosa:
Just gonna put myself on Team Revali or Team Skull Kid, either or.
Thank goodness! I thought Champion supporters were extinct.

Anyway, I'm confident that these guys are still in the running. I'm genuinely surprised people continue to underestimate these guys after all four managed to avoid Zelda's moveset, the BotW stage, and (so far) Assist Trophies. Feels like people only have faith in Impa and Skull Kid, and this is technically their fourth chance to get in Smash.

Zeox

Smash Champion
You should probably be asking for a new game before asking for more characters :troll:
Then I guess before asking for Impa, Toon Zelda and Skull Kid you should ask for a main zelda game where they are relevant again.
Wait, no, I'm wrong, Impa is still relevant, she was in breath of the wild
Impa_(Breath_of_the_Wild).jpg

Old Impa confirmed for smash.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Mei Ling: *Gasp* It's even more adorable than I imagined!

Snake: This thing? It looks like it's just a smaller Pikachu, what's the big deal?

Mei Ling: That's because it's exactly that, Snake, a baby Pikachu! Pichu is the pre-evolved form of Pikachu. It can't store electricity well in its body, unlike Pikachu, so if it's startled, it can end up shocking itself.

Snake: That's kind of... sad. It's like I were to always blow myself up every time I used a grenade.

Mei Ling: Oh, and one last thing, Snake?

Snake: ...don't even bother, I've already told you NO! For the last time, I'm here to fight, not capture a mutant baby rat for you!

Mei Ling: ...fine.

Snake: ...look, I'm sorry, we'll talk after this battle.

KMDP

Smash Legend
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Mei Ling: *Gasp* It's even more adorable than I imagined!

Snake: This thing? It looks like it's just a smaller Pikachu, what's the big deal?

Mei Ling: That's because it's exactly that, Snake, a baby Pikachu! Pichu is the pre-evolved form of Pikachu. It can't store electricity well in its body, unlike Pikachu, so if it's startled, it can end up shocking itself.

Snake: That's kind of... sad. It's like I were to always blow myself up every time I used a grenade.

Mei Ling: Oh, and one last thing, Snake?

Snake: ...don't even bother, I've already told you NO! For the last time, I'm here to fight, not capture a mutant baby rat for you!

Mei Ling: ...fine.

Snake: ...look, I'm sorry, we'll talk after this battle.
I fully expect your Donkey Kong codec to have:
Otacon: Watch out Snake; he's bigger, faster and stronger too!
Snake: Well, he's definitely bigger than me, I'll give him that...

Don't let me down, now. ;)

Alternatively:
Snake: ...I've fought bigger.

Also:
Otacon: He's only the first member of the DK crew.
Snake: There are more of these guys!?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Then I guess before asking for Impa, Toon Zelda and Skull Kid you should ask for a main zelda game where they are relevant again.
Wait, no, I'm wrong, Impa is still relevant, she was in breath of the wild
View attachment 149783

Old Impa confirmed for smash.
Wind Waker HD came out in 2013, Majora's Mask 3D came out in 2015, Skyward Sword came out in 2011. Hyrule Warriors came out in 2014/2016/2017 sooooooooo...

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Street fighter is getting more content, it already has a new music remix on the site. I have a feeling FF content will be barebones again.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I fully expect your Donkey Kong codec to have:
Otacon: Watch out Snake; he's bigger, stronger and faster too!
Snake: Well, he's definitely bigger than me, I'll give him that...

Don't let me down, now. ;)

Alternatively:
Snake: ...I've fought bigger.

Also:
Otacon: He's only the first member of the DK crew.
Snake: There are more of these guys!?
You Ruined it!!!!!

It goes "he's Bigger, Faster and Stronger too" not bigger, stronger and faster

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think if I were to rank remaining potential Zelda characters for Smash, I'd go

Skull Kid >>>>>> Impa > Tetra > Urbosa > Revali > Daruk > Vaati > Toon characters > probably others Mipha > even more > Lana > Linkle

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wind Waker HD came out in 2013, Majora's Mask 3D came out in 2015, Skyward Sword came out in 2011. Hyrule Warriors came out in 2014/2016/2017 sooooooooo...
Remake of an old game, Remake of an old Game, Impa was a super old woman in Skyward Sword, and Hyrule warriors are spin-off games that have the same weight as the Smash games.
Wind Waker will not be relevant again unless they also remake the games from the ds, which they will not, Majora's Mask will never be relevant again, Impa could be, but she has been an old woman more times than a warrior.
In fact, same with Metroid, when Sakurai decided to add Ridley, it was before Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4 were being made, so for the time, Ridley and Metroid were irrelevant.
Just because a franchise or a character is irrelevant, that should not be the reason why they could not be in this smash game, after all, this is smash ultimate, where sakurai is trying to please all the fans, so having a F-Zero character is as possible as having skull kid.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Speaking of the Champions, they could definitely all be Assist Trophies.

Mipha acts like a Heart Container, healing you fully (alternatively, she could also give you an extra point/stock to make it closer to the games, but that might be broken).
Revali grants you a temporary buff, either allowing you to jump higher or giving you an extra jump.
Daruk grants you a temporary buff too, making your Shield unbreakable until the effect wears off.
Urbosa casts Urbosa's fury, stunning everyone in range.

They could use the Magic activation animations from Breath of the Wild (e.g. Mipha and Revali twirling around you).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom