• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Just noticed its weird they went from Mario_01 to Link_03 and skipped DK_02

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just noticed its weird they went from Mario_01 to Link_03 and skipped DK_02
To be fair Samus was the 2nd shown on the e3 character reel and DK was in the middle of the character change explanations.

There's no reason for them to go in order.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
That was never said. It's just a made up rule by the fanbase. Smash fans tend to do that a lot.

Preferably I would only want one per franchise because usually third parties have a bunch of great properties that it feels like a waste to use the same ip twice.
Agree, they shouldn't focus on one IP's characters, since I feel it would take away from the uniqueness of having said character in SSB among Nintendo characters if they are joined by a whole bunch of others. The only exception imo would be clones like Shadow, Jeane, or Ken.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I know I'm repeating myself, but this is K.Rool's issue.

Outside of DK64, he NEVER shows himself to the player until the very end of the game, which makes it hard for the player to identify him as "Oh, he's the guy I need to beat up."

The best villains in Smash always show up constantly to remind the player that "Hey, I'm your roadblock, I don't like you, your mom's smelly."

By constantly showing you the bad guy, it helps the player realize "Oh, this is who I need to beat up. This is my bad guy."

Even Ridley shows up super early in Super Metroid to help give you a motivation as to what you need to do.

K.Rool's issue is because he's never really been anything but "The shadowy mastermind behind it all that you see at the end", he's never really cemented himself in the general gamer's consciousness as "The DK villain."
A bit late on this, but I've seen this tossed around a bit and I'm not sure if it's true. Even ignoring DK64, it should be noted that DK did have a cartoon show where King K. Rool was a major character and antagonist. It ran for 40 episodes, and it did seem to be successful enough to get merchandise over in Japan.

So honestly, even if many kids didn't beat the DKC games, that doesn't mean they weren't familiar with him. Many kids could've easily grown up with the character through that medium and enjoyed him that way.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think K.Rool definitely has a chance this time. His popularity is evident and we have some form of evidence in the Mii costume that his popularity was notable enough to be acknowledged.

Still, while Ridley was put in due to fan demand...

We... don't actually know if Sakurai still wants characters to have recent appearances.

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley: are all characters who have recent appearances.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
No source. it simply hasn't happened yet and people are assuming.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Bayonneta don't really have any standout characters aside from their main protagonist.
Well you got the "Luigis"

:ultbayonetta: Jeanne

:ultpacman: Mrs. Pacman?

:ultmegaman: Protoman/Base/ Zero

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
It even has memes, and that certainly does help make things relevant and popular.

But I mean, it clearly didn't help poor Waluigi

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
With Echo characters, I really hope they give us substantial enough reasons to pick them vs their original. Like, with Marth and Lucina, that makes sense since the few differences they have change their play styles greatly. But then you look at Dark Pit who is barely any different than Pit. But I guess he initially gotten since all he really needs is a paint job. Unfortunately for Daisy, she seems to be leaning towards being like Dark Pit than she is to Lucina.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Alright, so here's a question that I have been wanting to ask:
When it comes to Ultimate's newcomers, what is the most important aspect to you? I am not talking specific characters, but rather, a specific characteristic that you have an interest in many of Ultimate's newcomers sharing.
Outside of having a unique moveset, I personally want to see more cartoony and visually distinctive characters make up Ultimate's newcomer lineup.
As much as I enjoyed Smash 4's newcomers, most of them were either humanoid or realistic. That's why newcomers such as Pac Man, Duck Hunt, Villager, Bowser Jr., and Greninja stood out to me. They had unique designs and were really expressive. I don't hate humanoid characters, but it didn't help that Mewtwo was the only non human character as DLC for Smash 4.
So far, I think Ultimate is off to great start with this, as the Inklings are very cartoony while Ridley has a unique aesthetic and is one of the few dragons in the game.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Agree, they shouldn't focus on one IP's characters, since I feel it would take away from the uniqueness of having said character in SSB among Nintendo characters if they are joined by a whole bunch of others. The only exception imo would be clones like Shadow, Jeane, or Ken.
There are arguments to be made for choosing, among Sonic characters, Shadow and Tails:
With Shadow, Sonic Adventure 2 was the first cross-platform Sonic game. With Sonic representing the Nintendo-Sega rivalry as a whole.
Tails is the Luigi to Sonic's Mario.

I think Ken is pretty likely to, considering he's the first and best known Fighting Game clone.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random idea, what if there's 4 brand new characters and outside of Inkling they're the #1 characters of each major region (Japan, Americas, Europe)?

If Ridley is USA's #1 then who'd be the JP and EU ones?

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
There are arguments to be made for choosing, among Sonic characters, Shadow and Tails:
With Shadow, Sonic Adventure 2 was the first cross-platform Sonic game. With Sonic representing the Nintendo-Sega rivalry as a whole.
Tails is the Luigi to Sonic's Mario.

I think Ken is pretty likely to, considering he's the first and best known Fighting Game clone.
Well, if any third party IP were to be an exception, no doubt it would be Sonic given his ties to Mario

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yes I did answer your question. Well, one of them. That being why do I feel he isn't a forgotten villain. You ask ANYONE who DK's big bad is, It's K Rool.
You are omitting the response that I believe is most likely.

"Uh...does he have one?"

He's recognized within his own series as a more recurring villain than any one-offs. That doesn't mean he's DK's Bowser so much as it means he's DK's Giygas.

Notable to his franchise? Sure. Notable to anyone who isn't specifically looking for a villain from the DK series? Eh...less so.
He's Iconic to the series and has appeared in most of his games. DKCR and TF are the only main DK games to omit him. So, no. He's far from a relic.
He hasn't been in a Donkey Kong Country game for 18 years. I am one of many people who grew up having never heard of him.
Further, he's the same in the sense that now he is the new "Never gonna be in Smash, suck it, fanboys!" which is such a fallacy.
I didn't say that he was never going to be in Smash. But his situation isn't the same as Ridley's was. That's false equivocation.

I mean, for pete's sake, why am I explaining this to a PAC MAN fan! You of all people should know anything can happen and my reasoning for the support i give.
What does about anything you said have to do with me being a Pac-Man fan? I assume you aren't comparing K. Rool's inclusion to Pac-Man's.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No source. it simply hasn't happened yet and people are assuming.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Bayonneta don't really have any standout characters aside from their main protagonist.
Zero and Tron Bonne beg to differ and Ms. Pac-Man was a pop culture icon before Namco started pretending that part of their history didn't happen (I blame Bandai). Bayonetta... yeah, she's the star.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Jeanne and Rodin stand out and have a pretty sizable fanbase in the Bayonetta fanbase.

Jeanne is pretty much as much of a main character of the Bayonetta series as Bayo herself.

Balder, Bayonetta's dad and the antagonist of Bayonetta, also has a fair amount of fans.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Random idea, what if there's 4 brand new characters and outside of Inkling they're the #1 characters of each major region (Japan, Americas, Europe)?

Japan: Magnemite

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

Honestly? Probably soneone like Ashley or a DragonQuest character for JP.

EU I honestly don't know. Didn't they give us Bayo already?

Shroob

Sup?
A bit late on this, but I've seen this tossed around a bit and I'm not sure if it's true. Even ignoring DK64, it should be noted that DK did have a cartoon show where King K. Rool was a major character and antagonist. It ran for 40 episodes, and it did seem to be successful enough to get merchandise over in Japan.

So honestly, even if many kids didn't beat the DKC games, that doesn't mean they weren't familiar with him. Many kids could've easily grown up with the character through that medium and enjoyed him that way.
Between you and me, I don't WANT to remember that the DKC cartoon existed.:drsad:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Preferably I would only want one per franchise because usually third parties have a bunch of great properties that it feels like a waste to use the same ip twice.
I would agree if it weren’t for the Sonic series having the most amount of Nintendo history and being the most deserving of extra reps for 3rd party series (even if it’s just one unique character)

Last edited:

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good to know then, my dreams of Wario and Shantae fighting Risky in Smash haven't died yet!

In all seriousness though, I do wonder how much time and resources would be needed to afford more than one rep for a single third-party series.

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno, that seems like a really small detail.

If you have multiple Charizards that are both the same shade of orange, in the heat of a match, you're not going to be looking at a small detail on their model to determine if they could swap to a different Pokemon at any second.

You'd almost have to keep them in X/Y form at all times, and even then, X is the one closest to regular Charizard's skeleton enough to be considered an 'echo' imo.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Japan: Ashley or Slime, I bet.

EU: If Bayonetta doesn't count, then maybe a Ubisoft character like Rayman? Sora? Lara Croft, perhaps?

Last edited:

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, that seems like a really small detail.

If you have multiple Charizards that are both the same shade of orange, in the heat of a match, you're not going to be looking at a small detail on their model to determine if they could swap to a different Pokemon at any second.

You'd almost have to keep them in X/Y form at all times, and even then, X is the one closest to regular Charizard's skeleton enough to be considered an 'echo' imo.
I guess they could make it a slightly different shade of orange if they wanted

I don't think having it always mega evolved would work out too well. It would make it seem like that character is stronger than regular Charizard

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Melee increased the roser by 12
Brawl by 15 newcomers.
Smash 4 by 19.

However, this time around, I expect 5-6 newcomers at best with 3-4 echos, and that's including the 3 confirmed already, given the development time has gone to making sure all the veterans return, and given that echos are being given this level of attention, it's safe to say Daisy won't be the last.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I honestly would find a new Sonic rep the most boring choice of all of them. Deserving maybe, but I dont necessarily think any Sonic character is ideal. I'd love someone like Raiden, or Black Mage, or Rodin, but Tails and Knuckles and Shadow etc. just seem so bland to me. Maybe it's because they are so similar to Sonic in their games? I dunno.

Shroob

Sup?
I guess they could make it a slightly different shade of orange if they wanted

I don't think having it always mega evolved would work out too well. It would make it seem like that character is stronger than regular Charizard
Honestly, that 'leak' seemed reasonable until "A second Charizard".

Now I'm just scratching my head. :drshrug:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I honestly would find a new Sonic rep the most boring choice of all of them. Deserving maybe, but I dont necessarily think any Sonic character is ideal. I'd love someone like Raiden, or Black Mage, or Rodin, but Tails and Knuckles and Shadow etc. just seem so bland to me. Maybe it's because they are so similar to Sonic in their games? I dunno.
Dr. Eggman strike your fancy?

Edit: In a mech, perhaps?

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Melee increased the roser by 12
Brawl by 15 newcomers.
Smash 4 by 19.

However, this time around, I expect 5-6 newcomers at best with 3-4 echos, and that's including the 3 confirmed already, given the development time has gone to making sure all the veterans return, and given that echos are being given this level of attention, it's safe to say Daisy won't be the last.
Actually it was 14 for Melee
18 for Brawl
17 for Smash 4
4 for Smash 4 DLC

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Can't wait for the first bit of news that isn't from E3 personally. Think we're in for a wait, mind.

I think its time to reveal the next character, Sakurai. Smashboarders are getting antsy with the spinning around in circles!
A character a month would be more than reasonable. Assuming we get at least 12, we could have a character every month and still have plenty of surprise unlockables.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sonic's friends are about as similar to him as Mario's friends are to him. Like Luigi has a lot of similarites to Mario but he's still his own individual with only things he can do.

The same rings true of Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom