• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
While this is technically true. Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises now, it's fanbase is rabid and intensely waiting the next proper installment, and Isabelle has maintained a presence in not only it's advertistment, but also Nintendo as a whole's advertisment, however a majority of people have written her off as not happening because ''she's cute I don't wanna hurt her" or ''she's not a fighter."

Which are both invalid reasons considering half the roster is cute and half of them you would never actually want to hurt.
Also, the fact that we haven't even seen an Animal Crossing Assist Trophy should cause concern for Isabelle fans, IMO at least.

I'm holding off judgment on Assist Trophies until we get more information, because the E3 build didn't even have half of the purported "50+" in it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
He most certainly did know some of, if not all, of what he was going to do in that proposal, because to even hire a crew you're going to need to know how many people to hire, what the budget is like, etc, etc.
Of course he had to know some of it. I'm just saying we shouldn't just assume that Sakurai made all his final decisions at the initial proposal.

It was the "first" proposal. Why would he require any more if he knew precisely what he was gonna do. If they just do proposals for ****s and giggles by all means say so. I'm not a businessman so I wouldn't know. Seems like it would be a waste of time to get everyone together just to regurgitate the same information though.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I feel like, for Smash 4 at least, the Ballot was more a publicity stunt/suggestions box for Nintendo.
I don't think it's any coincidence Ashley got a significant marketing push right after the ballot. This is not a comment on her viability for Smash, simply an observation that I think Nintendo has likely been using the data from the ballot for a lot more than just picking Smash characters.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Honestly Sakurai should just come out with a trailer that reveals Dixie, K.Rool, Cranky and a Funky Echo in one go.

I'm a huge fan of the Donkey Kong series so this would be ideal, and also Smashboards would have another less thing to complain about.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I Genuinly don't Kid Icarus would have gotten a revival hadn't Sakurai done it himself. Earthbound, Fire Emblem and some old stuff might have gotten more attention. But Where is the Ice Climbers revival? Duck Hunt? more little mac? Smash might be able to revive characters but it hasn't really shown that it revives franchises.
It's not lack of Smash appearance that stops Rool from being in DK games, it's because the developer don't want to use him.
yeah im not necessarily saying every character that gets in smash gets their own, or gets back into their own, series again. But what i am saying is that smash preserves them and their legacy whether or not they get anything new outside of smash they are forever a part of smash and their impact on nintendo and gaming is preserved and acknowledged and their fanbase can continue to grow.

This can revive a series or get the character back in somewhere (Amiibos gave mario maker costumes and such) it doesnt necessarily need to be anything more than having them in smash but somehow getting in smash seems to be the bar that the character is still alive and recognized.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well technically Medusa isn’t the villain with the most appearances in the 3 game series (unless you’re specifically counting the amount of times she’s been shown in the game and not how many games she’s been in. Otherwise she’d be tied with many of the original KI villains, including Pandora).
Number of games she shows up in, actually. At least no one is asking for Orcos.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly Sakurai should just come out with a trailer that reveals Dixie, K.Rool, Cranky and a Funky Echo in one go.

I'm a huge fan of the Donkey Kong series so this would be ideal, and also Smashboards would have another less thing to complain about.
And then the Lanky fans attack him on Twitter.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Speak for yourself, I'd be drowning in salt that day.:laugh:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Ridley and K. Rool aren't the same though for a number of reasons with the biggest being that Ridley has been around since the first game and has been in all the major outings and remakes except Prime: Echoes. K. Rool hasn't had a role in a non-spin off game since DK64 which is almost two decades now. Ridley has been a glaring omission since Melee while K. Rool's last peak of relevance was around the release of Brawl. I'm not saying it won't happen but if K. Rool gets in, it's overwhelmingly going to be because of fan demand because he hasn't been a DK series icon in a long, long time.
Yes, they are now the same. K. Rool is not some forgotten villain. He is and will always be the big bad of most DK games. Even if he weren't, it wouldn't hurt his chances one bit.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also, note to everyone. "Famicom-era" characters and "suprise" characters are not a pattern Smash fans just came up with.

We know Sakurai goes out of his way to include them because of what we've been told in interviews.
Yeah, but with the whole "don't expect too many newcomers" comment, people are getting tinfoil over if he'll break his own patterns or not.
I'm up for any surprise, really. I'm still going for Urban Champ as a rep for all of the sports NES games or Captain Rainbow since his game is based off of the "nobodys" made out of retro games that never returned from the abyss of obscurity. :upsidedown:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
And then the Lanky fans attack him on Twitter.
The worst part is this has a genuine chance of happening. People seem to throw all sense of moral decency and common sense out the window if they're "doing it for the meme." The Waluigi """outrage""" is totally fabricated if you ask me.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm ready to be surprised; I can trust in Sakurai's decisions.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Also, note to everyone. "Famicom-era" characters and "suprise" characters are not a pattern Smash fans just came up with.

We know Sakurai goes out of his way to include them because of what we've been told in interviews.
yeah i also think to deny sakurai being aware of the series, console generations, company, and time periods hes represented by adding a character from them is to deny that sakurai is a human being who's just as capable of noticing what everyone else who looks at smash notices.

like obviously sakurai is aware when he gives one series more reps than another or that game and watch is "old" that duck hunt and ice climbers dont have any new games, that shulk and wii fit trainer are from a more modern era, that snake and sonic are from non-nintendo companies etc... sakurai isnt some computer machine that just spits out gaming characters for a roster he is aware of what hes doing just like we are aware of recognizing it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

All I'd be needing at that point would be Tiny, Lanky and Chunky though.:p

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

KMDP

Smash Legend
Of course he had to know some of it. I'm just saying we shouldn't just assume that Sakurai made all his final decisions at the initial proposal.

It was the "first" proposal. Why would he require any more if he knew precisely what he was gonna do. If they just do proposals for ****s and giggles by all means say so. I'm not a businessman so I wouldn't know. Seems like it would be a waste of time to get everyone together just to regurgitate the same information though.
Well, a game designer probably makes the first proposal, then the higher ups say "you can't do this", "could you do something like this instead/as well?", then they go away and make changes. Not to mention coming up with new things during 2nd+ drafts.
Only if we get the reckless safety guy from the Wii first.
Reckless Safety Guy with a DS adaptor as a whip. Best alternative to Simon Belmont.

Shroob

Sup?
Yes, they are now the same. K. Rool is not some forgotten villain. He is and will always be the big bad of most DK games. Even if he weren't, it wouldn't hurt his chances one bit.
I think Fatman basically just explained WHY K.Rool is indeed a forgotten villain.

Us diehard fans remember him, but he's an absolute nobody in the general gaming scene who hasn't been in a game proper in 10+ years at this point.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Us diehard fans remember him, but he's an absolute nobody in the general gaming scene who hasn't been in a game proper in 10+ years at this point.
I was gonna call you out and say Mario Super Sluggers but that game turned 10 just THREE days ago :facepalm:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
The worst part is this has a genuine chance of happening. People seem to throw all sense of moral decency and common sense out the window if they're "doing it for the meme." The Waluigi """outrage""" is totally fabricated if you ask me.
Hey hey! I've genuinely wanted him since Brawl. What you talkin' about? Us fans have been around for years. Don't sleep on the WAA because he sudden;ly became cool to the rest of you!~

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Hey hey! I've genuinelt wanted him since Brawl. What you talkin' about? Us fans have been around for years. Don't sleep on the WAA because he sudden;t became cool to the rest of you!~
I'm not denying Waluigi has genuine fans, I'm saying people "outraged" to the point of harassing Sakurai on twitter aren't real fans of anything. Ridley used to be the posterboy of "NEVER EVER IN SMASH LOL" but now that he and every cut fighter are in, people need to find a new thing to meme about and Waluigi fits the bill.
In Brawl it was Mewtwo and Roy. In Smash 4 it was Chrom and Snake, and this time it's Waluigi. People are just bandwagoning and being hyper obnoxious about it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't really have a want for characters now. I wanted Mac back (:b:) and Waluigi (:urg:), and both got answered fairly quickly. Now I'm just here for the ride.

for all people who think that K.ROOL dont deserve it and say L "" K. Rool hasn't had a role in a non-spin off game since DK64 "
do you know that DKC COUNTRY return and tropical freeze came loong looong time after n64 game?
K.ROOl was in spinooff dk games too and he only skip the 2 last games... my bet is that nintendo know that we need K.ROOL in smash and in the new DK COUNTRY .

irrevelant mean nothing... if he got in the lastest dk country adventure ....he is revelant again.
he only 1 new game to be revelant .... little mac needed 1 wii game and now we got nothing but he still a strong nintendo character.
Dude are you speaking Kong, I actually can't understand what you're saying? :confused:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I fail to see why K. Rool would be ignored for being old when DK and Diddy get many moves from DK64, including their final smashes.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I don't think there is a specific timeframe for it. As far as Nintendo seems to be concerned, retro, generally refers to the NES generation of games. At least if the NES remix, Mario Maker, Pushmo, the 8 bit Mario/Zelda easter eggs and even Smash are anything to go by. Any generations in between don't tend to get as much attention from them for the most part.

It's like It's their equivalent of Pokemon gen 1 that is going on with the Pokemon fandom or something.
Ridley and K. Rool aren't the same though for a number of reasons with the biggest being that Ridley has been around since the first game and has been in all the major outings and remakes except Prime: Echoes. K. Rool hasn't had a role in a non-spin off game since DK64 which is almost two decades now. Ridley has been a glaring omission since Melee while K. Rool's last peak of relevance was around the release of Brawl. I'm not saying it won't happen but if K. Rool gets in, it's overwhelmingly going to be because of fan demand because he hasn't been a DK series icon in a long, long time.
Who here was claiming they're in the same situation? Ridley's demand was high since the fake-out in Melee convinced fans they wanted him and Sakurai only ever acknowledged it last game with the infamous "too big" meme because he could not legitimately see how he'd work, but due to the god he is, he listened and managed to implement him.

K. Rool was just drawing his last breath in the games in Brawl after Diddy and support REALLY became huge last game and even more so now that the biggest newcomers are out of the way. He's now a deeply beloved, nostalgic villain to a good amount of the core DK fans, a fandom very much outspoken about their lack of newcomers. I do find it interesting how Sakurai notes the Brawl/Wii era characters as not having been in the games in a decade, which was a weird detail lots of people pointed out when the Melee characters exist. "It's only been two games" they say, but DK has only had two games since Sluggers featured the characters too. Hmm...

I know that's PURE fan speculation and conjecture there but, still...

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I don't really have a want for characters now. I wanted Mac back (:b:) and Waluigi (:urg:), and both got answered fairly quickly. Now I'm just here for the ride.
Mostly same here, gotten to the point where most of anyone I'd want in Smash are like dreams that would never likely even be possible but then the Echo Fighters statement happened and Shadow's seeming absence as an AT with Knuckles there now has made me get into the "I REALLY WANT THIS SINCE IT SEEMS PLAUSIBLE" camp again, but for Shadow The Freaking Hedgehog.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm pretty sure Little Mac's last game in the Wii one, the dude literally retired at his endgame. If we get a new Punch-Out!!, I'd be surprised if it was Mac coming back again and not the dude from the SNES game or something.
the super punch-out!! protagonist IS little mac despite being blonde and looking vastly different from our usual little mac.

I would however love a punch-out!! wii sequel where little mac is the doc louis coach character and every boxer your "up and coming rookie" has to fight is the trainee of one of macs old rivals. that would be sweet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Mostly same here, gotten to the point where most of anyone I'd want in Smash are like dreams that would never likely even be possible but then the Echo Fighters statement happened and Shadow's seeming absence as an AT with Knuckles there now has made me get into the "I REALLY WANT THIS SINCE IT SEEMS PLAUSIBLE" camp again, but for Shadow The Freaking Hedgehog.
Y'know, we never saw Devil as an AT. Maybe he's our new retro pick. :p

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I would love it if we got a Yoshi & Babies character, where the various baby characters would be with Yoshi as alternate costumes akin to Bowser Jr. And the two would fight together akin to Duck Hunt. Though I imagine it would be more of a clone of Yoshi than a fully original character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom