• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
All these silly arguments against Steve remind me of how a lot of Decidueye supports only wanted him to fill a "quota" by having a grass Pokemon.

Ugly artstyle really aren't an argument when we've had characters who were NES-exclusive and got the makeover to fit in with the rest of the cast.
Pit's huge updated redesign he got starting from Brawl is a very good example of this.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
What arguments against Steve really reminds my of is the arguments againt Miis
"I don't want to admit this character is a big deal. Ugly and I don't want him"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ugly artstyle really aren't an argument when we've had characters who were NES-exclusive and got the makeover to fit in with the rest of the cast.
Minecraft characters have to be shaped like rectangular blocks though, and that's something that can't be taken away, no matter how old the franchise might be.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes... but Minecraft isn't a NES game. The "ugly art style" was intentional and that's how it will look in Smash. It is not going to get a makeover like the NES-exclusive characters did.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I will grant you that, in terms of importance to minecraft itself, Steve isn't super high up there. But that's a different argument entirely.
That's more where I was going with that. I have no doubts about Minecraft's spread/popularity

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Minecraft characters have to be shaped like rectangular blocks though, and that's something that can't be taken away, no matter how old the franchise might be.
That's where the why Telltale Games handled things come in.

It's still as blocky as Minecraft, but the animation is much more fluid and would fit more in Smash than what the original game has.

Again, not really a Steve supporter, nor do I really want him. I'm just looking at things from a perspective that's as objective as I humanely can.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
All these silly arguments against Steve remind me of how a lot of Decidueye supports only wanted him to fill a "quota" by having a grass Pokemon.

There’s a rather large difference between NES era characters being updated and Minecraft; the NES characters were originally pixelated since that was just the best the console could do back then, while, on the other hand, the blocky and pixelated graphics of Minecraft are a significant part of its identity.

We already have blocky and pixelated stuff in Smash anyway though (PAC-MAN’s smashes and Bonus Fruit, Duck Hunt’s Wild Gunmen, the Sheriff and Color TV Game AT’s, the Boss Galaga item, the Baloon Fight and Duck Hunt stages, etc.) so it’s not like we don’t already have precedent that it would potentially fit in with.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We already have blocky and pixelated stuff in Smash anyway though (PAC-MAN’s smashes and Bonus Fruit, Duck Hunt’s Wild Gunmen, the Sheriff and Color TV Game AT’s, the Boss Galaga item, the Baloon Fight and Duck Hunt stages, etc.)
Hmm... what new blocky and pixelated stuff (other than Minecraft) could we get in Smash?

Maybe the Angry Sun from Super Mario Bros. 3 as Assist Trophy?
1529609504172.png

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I would place the current form of Pit in the “moveset inspiration” group

Waluigi obsession would drive people away before Minecraft, besides...Banjo Kazooie before both
I was thinking of that too XD. Instead of that (I feel the current pit is close enough) I'll specifically put Brawl Pit in making **** up.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Ok but what if they added Steve from minecraft, but you could customize a skin of Steve and draw your own skin?
Body Parts
is why i'm a little sceptical to them to do that

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Again, I get that Minecraft is major and build on creativity/customizing, but unless Steve is going to have a totally customizable skins, then that element is moot in Smash.
It's also important to remember that we already have the Mii Fighters, and their more diverse customization options.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I was thinking of that too XD. Instead of that (I feel the current pit is close enough) I'll specifically put Brawl Pit in making **** up.
Poor Brawl Pit, no longer as important, original and loved as Uprising/Smash 4/Ultimate Pit is

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Steve cannot get an "upgrade style" or whatever people are thinking. Minecraft was intentionally made to look like that and if you were to make a minecraft character "modern" then it wouldn't be minecraft at all lol. Steve

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I have always mained :ultpikachu: in the series. Not only do I love the character, but its fast paced move set has always fit perfectly with my playstyle.
I bet you're excited about Ultimate Pikachu, he looks soooooo awesome thus far (and scary to me because i've always had issues vs Pikachu)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wouldn't say that! That fresh start is what he needed to become those.
True, but Uprising took him to places he’d probably never see in Brawl alone

plus...we need more Smash characters who are illiterate

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I've been waiting for an Airship stage since Melee :< or something based on one of his castles, same for Ganondorf.
You know what's funny?
We've gotten 2 Ridley boss battle stages (Pyrosphere and Norfair..Ish?)
But no Bowser boss battle stages or Ganon boss battle stages

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Which retro do you think is gonna make it? Excitebike or Mach Rider?

Excitebike is the 9th best selling NES games and a launch title, and the temperature bar is a unique feature that could effect his special attacks. Mach Rider on the other hand probably has more move set potential and used to be a toy back in the 70's.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Regarding Microsoft characters-

Remember how many people were saying "Sakurai would NEVER work with Konami! Snake is never coming back." And then we got :ultsnake: ? I think we will soon get a response to "Sakurai would NEVER work with Microsoft! They are Nintendos sworn competitor."

So the next question becomes who then? The top 3 discussed are usually Steve (topic at hand), Banjo, and Chief. Going off of the information we have, the project plan was designed off the end of the Ballot. Banjo was a hot topic then, with the director of Xbox even commenting on them. I never saw a lot of support ever for Steve or Chief in the Ballot days, but there could certainly be a case of silent majority (which I doubt for at least Chief, there isnt much overlap between Halo fans and Nintendo players). Minecraft has gained a huge following in Japan, so maybe steve holds ground for DLC?

But until something substantial comes up, im inclined to believe that if we get Xbox characters, our most likely outcome will be playable Banjo with Minecraft side content and maybe Halo side content if were lucky. Maybe throw in Steve down the line for DLC if he isnt deconfirmed by then. I think if Banjo really was THAT highly requested on the ballot, his irrelevance wouldnt hurt his chances that badly. Your average kid today wont recognize Banjo, but theyre not gonna recognize :ultmegaman: :ultcloud: :ultsnake: either. And if relevance proves that much of an issue, then Steve is next in line for the kiddies sake. Chief could be a best of both worlds in appealing to older and younger fans, but I dont think the demand wasnt there in 2015, or is that much here now, either, sadly.

Tldr: Xbox? In my Smash Bros? Its more likely than you think

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
You know what's funny?
We've gotten 2 Ridley boss battle stages (Pyrosphere and Norfair..Ish?)
But no Bowser boss battle stages or Ganon boss battle stages
Still want the room in OoT with the big ol organ. If Ganondorf isn't being played as, you can see him playing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom