• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I still think Excite Biker is the retro front runner but the rifle thing does line up with Mach Rider.

See im thinking sakurai might sort of combine them actually...

have the character be "mach rider" but make excite bike references as mach rider is more of a fighter than an excite biker which makes for a much better moveset...

kind of how villager has balloon fighter for an up b i could see mach rider making excite bike noises or doing moves from it or having an alt costume that looks more like excite bike, that sort of thing.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious, what'd be wrong if that's how Pokemon were chosen? Granted it'd be heavily in G1's favor but aside from that I don't see a problem.
To me, that's a problem.
Long story short, I'm sick of Gen 1 pandering. Let's Go! was the final nail in the coffin.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Low key, no matter how unlikely it is, wouldn’t it be dope if rayquaza were playable (albeit scaled down and grounded like Ridley)? Arguably most famous gen 3 pokemon and a snake-like fighter. Would be the first Dragon type as well.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Xenoblade X was a commercial and financial success and was one of the biggest titles on the wii u, especially in 2015 when the project plan was made, 2015 was barren apart from that, mario maker, splatoon and fates, the rest of the releases were all just spin-offs like kirby and the rainbow paintbrush and triforce heroes. Elma's inclusion makes sense, the game was big, monolith are open to it, she has the moveset potential and the game essentially ends on sequel bait so the character is sure to have a future.
Why would Elma be prioritized over characters who scored high in the ballot if that was planned to be the source for Ultimate's newcomers rather than just being put into Smash 4 as DLC like Corrin when her game was still relevant?

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
To me, that's a problem.
Long story short, I'm sick of Gen 1 pandering. Let's Go! was the final nail in the coffin.
This. Not every Pokémon fan stopped growing up with gen 1. The six others feature wonderful critters which also have much to offer. Limiting oneself for an old generation because of some people stuck 20 years ago would be unfair to the other fans especially since the Pokémon Company caters to the Genwhunners already far too much.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I’m curious who everyone thinks are the most likely newcomers now given this new information on the project plan finalization.

I guess everyone guess 8-10 to keep up with the “Don’t expect many new challengers.”

Also, side question, who were popular ballot choices? Do we know for sure?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
To me, that's a problem.
Yeah. I don't need any more Gen 1 Pokemon playable. I'm completely fine with Let's Go's existence since Gen 8 is coming in 2019, but that's the main reason why.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
2015?

That is the year the only Wii U Kirby game was released, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

And it had Bandana Dee as Player 2.

Bandana Dee confirmed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
See im thinking sakurai might sort of combine them actually...

have the character be "mach rider" but make excite bike references as mach rider is more of a fighter than an excite biker which makes for a much better moveset...

kind of how villager has balloon fighter for an up b i could see mach rider making excite bike noises or doing moves from it or having an alt costume that looks more like excite bike, that sort of thing.
I love that kind of thing, like how the Duck Hunt duo represent Zapper games in general, with Wild Gunman directly being in one of their moves.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If we got another Pokemon and it was a gen 1 Pokemon I would be a bit salty. Give me some gen 3 representation. Too bad I know that's not happening.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Xenoblade Chronicles sold 161,000 units by the end of 2010 in Japan. What isn't mentioned is the Western sales.

"In a later interview, it was stated that [Xenoblade Chronicles] sold better in the West than in Japan." We can conclude from this that the game sold at least 400,000 copies worldwide, since it had sold 200,000 copies by the end of 2013. That's over three years, mind.

Xenoblade Chronicles X had sold 114,665 physical copies by the end of the year, which doesn't account for the 23,000 digital copies during May 2015. Together, that accounts for 137,665 copies by the end of 2015. This is not counting digital sales for June, July, August, September, October, November, or December.

In the west, it sold better than the original did. "Upon its release in the United Kingdom, the game managed to secure 28th place in the charts. Despite its modest position, the game's launch sales was 73% higher than its predecessor had been in the same region," and "In the UK charts, Xenoblade Chronicles debuted at #7, and reached #2 in the dedicated Wii charts despite stock shortages." "In France, the game sold over 40,000 physical copies after two weeks." "In the United States, the game sold over 200,000 physical copies during the month of December, nearly doubling the game's then-lifetime sales in Japan."

Considering all of this, Xenoblade Chronicles X had sold 377,665 copies in 8 months, not counting digital copies, UK sales, Canada sales, non-France EU sales, or South American sales, which the above figure does include. Odds are that the game had matched the original's lifetime sales in 8 months when one considers these.

"Monolith Soft posted financial results for the fiscal year ending march 2016. Total profits were 2.7 billion yen, an increase over the 1 billion yen reported for the last FY." This also means that the game continued to sell well after the NA release in December. At the very least, the game reached half a million by 2016, which beats out the original game.
I wasn't sure how much digital copies were accounted for and so I missed that. I will say I'm not sure how much of the western release of X will matter since it's so close to the finished project plan date.

Anyway my main point was never tied to sales and if for some reason I was the one who brought up sales I apologise. My point was the Shulk got in due to being the lead of a new predominant series that had existed for a couple years in Japan and had a huge push to get localized.

Looking at a smaller pool of newcomers like Sakurai said we should expect, I don't think a character who is arguably not even the protagonist will take priority over popular ballot picks. With this project plan date I defintely think the majority of focus will be on the ballot (although we honestly have to wait and see) and I really don't think Elma had that much of a push then, nor do I think Sakurai would think of another Xenoblade rep as a priority.

Either way I'm absolutely taking her off my most expected newcomers, but I could be wrong!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Why would Elma be prioritized over characters who scored high in the ballot if that was planned to be the source for Ultimate's newcomers rather than just being put into Smash 4 as DLC like Corrin when her game was still relevant?
but do we know if it's just going to be ballot characters though? Smash has always included fan favourites as well as characters that represent relevant games, I don't see why this game would really be any different tbh. I think you're setting your hopes a little high if you expect all the newcomers to be chosen just because of the ballot

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
tl;dr for this post:

Xenoblade Chronicles X had nearly matched Xenoblade Chronicles' lifetime sales in under a year, selling more than 377,665 copies in 8 months vs. Xenoblade Chronicles' 400,000 before 3D's release.
And this also doesn't take into account the Wii U's comparatively much smaller install base at the time of its release compared to that of the Wii. Granted, Xenoblade by design is for more "hardcore" gamers, but it should still be noted that the wii had broken 67 million in sales by the time XC1 released, while the Wii U hadn't gotten past 10 million by the time XCX released.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
2015?

That is the year the only Wii U Kirby game was released, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

And it had Bandana Dee as Player 2.

Bandana Dee confirmed.
Ryce was going into detail on ResetEra in how 2015 and planned 2016 titles likely could have played an impact on the smash roster in addition to the smash ballot. One of the most popular Nintendo titles in 2015 was the Rhythm Heaven megamix, and Ryce seems to think it’s likely going to be the next new franchise represented.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I love that kind of thing, like how the Duck Hunt duo represent Zapper games in general, with Wild Gunman directly being in one of their moves.

me too.

and its what im thinking will happen here, as excitebike is probably the most famous remaining unrepresented first party nintendo game from the NES but it makes for a lousy fighter in smash. take mach rider, someone sakurai already said he wanted to do, add a touch of excite bike to cover that and you have a really good retro rep.

blackghost

Smash Champion
If this new info is accurate id say elma has a pretty good shot now. Xeno x launched in dec 2015 and game dev started feb 2016. But if shes not in the base dlc seems very unlikely. Just the akward timing and dlc chatacters will either hit character and fan hype or feed from nostalgia.
Not sure on king k chances. Part of me thinks its vocal fans. Not even sure when his last game appearance was.
Also from a game design perspective its a fat alligator.... so yeah. I dont care hoe fast he is in the games (see bayo, sonic, ryu, or robin characters get adjusted in smash) on smash he will be another big slower heavy. Not seeing moveset potential.
But if he does get in i 3xpect to see all.these king k fans online and as a bayo player ill eat you alive. :p

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
If this new info is accurate id say elma has a pretty good shot now. Xeno x launched in dec 2015 and game dev started feb 2016. But if shes not in the base dlc seems very unlikely. Just the akward timing and dlc chatacters will either hit character and fan hype or feed from nostalgia.
Not sure on king k chances. Part of me thinks its vocal fans. Not even sure when his last game appearance was.
Also from a game design perspective its a fat alligator.... so yeah. I dont care hoe fast he is in the games (see bayo, sonic, ryu, or robin characters get adjusted in smash) on smash he will be another big slower heavy. Not seeing moveset potential.
But if he does get in i 3xpect to see all.these king k fans online and as a bayo player ill eat you alive. :p
That’s implying Bayonetta isn’t going to be nuked before launch :troll:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I wasn't sure how much digital copies were accounted for and so I missed that. I will say I'm not sure how much of the western release of X will matter since it's so close to the finished project plan date.

Anyway my main point was never tied to sales and if for some reason I was the one who brought up sales I apologise. My point was the Shulk got in due to being the lead of a new predominant series that had existed for a couple years in Japan and had a huge push to get localized.

Looking at a smaller pool of newcomers like Sakurai said we should expect, I don't think a character who is arguably not even the protagonist will take priority over popular ballot picks. With this project plan date I defintely think the majority of focus will be on the ballot (although we honestly have to wait and see) and I really don't think Elma had that much of a push then, nor do I think Sakurai would think of another Xenoblade rep as a priority.

Either way I'm absolutely taking her off my most expected newcomers, but I could be wrong!
My counterpoint is that, just as Marth was added as the lead of a new series that had existed for several years in Japan, it makes sense that Shulk is only the first of multiple newcomers we should expect to see from the Xenoblade franchise over time.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Lords above not yet another gen 1 Pokémon. We are nearing the Gen 1 overdose in these times.
It shouldnt matter what generation they are from as long as they are important to game freak. And as it stands, Meowth and Eevee are far more recognizable than any other pokemon in the series who are not in smash, and while Mew is not AS popular or marketed by gamefreak as the other two, it could still work as a clone of Mewtwo ala Link and Young Link.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
>_>

<_<

You know, I would love to see Geno in Smash, if this song get in, remix or original.
They are many great songs in SMRPG, don't get me wrong, but hearing this song in Smash Ultimate would be like...
tumblr_mqbkrbOFj21qidv6fo3_r1_500.gif

Perfection.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
My point is that the game's sales were comparable to the original Xenoblade Chronicles in Japan despite the game releasing on the underselling Wii U rather than the massively popular Wii.

If Sakurai was going to consider a new character for the Xenoblade franchise, it makes perfect sense to go for Elma, the protagonist of a game which just came out to good sales in Japan.
Except it doesn't make sense to go with Elma over anybody who scored high on the ballot considering Elma had no western popularity to speak of when the project plan was finished. It made sense to put her in as DLC for Smash 4 while her game was still relevant but she wasn't while Corrin who's game released at the same timeframe did.

Last edited:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
I won't be happy with Pokemon newcomers until Kricketune makes it in.

DELELELELEWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Speaking of memorable and iconic pokemon, that reminds me of a dumb concept of mine, it's obviously never happening but what about Togepi? Togepi is one of those extremely iconic pokemon and they notably aren't from Gen 1 (although their gen is covered by Pichu), they probably wouldn't make much sense by themselves since they aren't much of a fighter but I always thought a Togetic + Togepi duo character could work, as long as it's less of a Nana/Luma thing and Togepi's more like someone you'd have to protect than a actual fighter lol.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Then how are they chosen? From what I see, it's the important and highly marketed characters that are put in
The way I understand it, Pokemon are the only Nintendo property that's more decided by Nintendo than by Sakurai. I think his bosses give him options, such as with Greninja, but basically require that one of their new heavily market Pokemon makes the cut. At least, in Brawl and Smash4.

It's one reason why I really think one of the Sun/Moon starters will get in, particularly Decidueye. I'm not even really a huge fan of that Pokemon, I just think it's a smart bet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Does Snake's return also mean Gray Fox will be an AT again? Or will they give Raiden that type of treatment instead?

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Pokemon newcomers are typically from the newer generations.
They're added to promote the new games.
No, Sakurai explicitly explains how they look at which pokemons are currently the center of attention in the games, anime, and movies, hence Lucario's inclusion in Brawl. As it stands, Meowth is always relevant thanks to the anime, and Eevee is relevant thanks to Pokemon Let's Go. Granted, both have already been confirmed as pokeball pokemon, but you get what I mean.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It shouldnt matter what generation they are from as long as they are important to game freak. And as it stands, Meowth and Eevee are far more recognizable than any other pokemon in the series who are not in smash, and while Mew is not AS popular or marketed by gamefreak as the other two, it could still work as a clone of Mewtwo ala Link and Young Link.
Meowth and Eevee are both confirmed to be Poke Ball Pokemon. They aren't making it in.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To me, that's a problem.
Out of curiosity, what's the coffin in that analogy? Like, are you done with the series, orrrr...?

Honestly, they pander to gen1 because of people like me, who don't really play Pokemon anymore but have fond memories of it. I can name maybe ten pokemon past gen2, and they're almost entirely because of Smash.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

A man can dream.
A man can dream ...
... You know, that does bring up an interesting point. Are there any noticeable gaps in that massive piece of art? I know Ridley and Daisy didn't show up on it until after their reveals, of course.
Would they cram the remaining newcomers in with the rest of the crowd, or expand the picture?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Except it doesn't make sense to go with Elma over anybody who scored high on the ballot
What reason do you have to expect only ballot characters? You have no evidence that Sakurai would overlook new characters when deciding who to include.
especially since Elma had no western popularity when the project plan was finished. It made sense to put her in as DLC for Smash 4 while her game was still relevant but she wasn't while Corrin who's game released at the same timeframe did.
It would have made sense to include Elma then, but Corrin was from a series that had much more proven sales potential. Further, Corrin was a transforming dragon unit, something Sakurai wanted to represent.

Notably, having no popularity at the time would likely have been considered by Sakurai when looking at character choices. A character from a new game wouldn't be able to do well in the ballot because it wouldn't have a fanbase yet; therefore, Sakurai would have to make a judgement call to include some new characters that he believes will be popular.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, what's the coffin in that analogy? Like, are you done with the series, orrrr...?

Honestly, they pander to gen1 because of people like me, who don't really play Pokemon anymore but have fond memories of it. I can name maybe ten pokemon past gen2, and they're almost entirely because of Smash.
I stopped after gen 4. And honestly, the argument that it's bad that they are pandering to Gen 1 makes no sense when Gen 1 pokemon are the most popular, considering that was the peak of pokemon's popularity, sans Pokemon Go's release, which brought Pokemon back into the public eye

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

This is the problem honestly. How can the series progress if they are trying to please only the people who aren't in it anymore?

Sure referencing a little is nice but they are overdoing it as heck.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Low key, no matter how unlikely it is, wouldn’t it be dope if rayquaza were playable (albeit scaled down and grounded like Ridley)? Arguably most famous gen 3 pokemon and a snake-like fighter. Would be the first Dragon type as well.
L o w k e y, I would love to see an artistic representation of this. Proportionately, Rayquaza is so thin that to be shrunk down to that scale, it'd basically be a green hose.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Does Snake's return also mean Gray Fox will be an AT again? Or will they give Raiden that type of treatment instead?
I'd personally love to see Raiden as a playable fighter. I think he'd be a lot of fun.

But I'd settle for an Assist Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom