• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I remember SonicSmasher1 (And I think I remember Con0rrr too) I was here during that time and before, as well! :)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Any chance we’ll see Duon, Galleom, and Tabuu again? Since everyone is here.

Maybe even like an SSE Boss Rush as DLC?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't want Subspace but I do want several good single player options that I can replay several times and are executed well. Subspace was so big that it could fit 4 Ridley's in it. 2 big 4 me

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Even if we don't see a formal return to Subspace, which I'd love a lot, even just a Boss Battles mode featuring every boss fight in Smash Bros. history would be awesome. I'd love to face guys like Duon, Galleom, and Tabuu with new characters and old ones with souped-up toolkits. That said, by far the best option for me would be a massive, story-driven Adventure Mode like we saw in SSE; I always admired its ability to tell an engaging story featuring all of Nintendo's finest without so much as a single line of dialogue. Not getting my hopes up for Smash's singleplayer to ever be as great as that, though. I'm just hoping it's at least something I'll want to come back to after the first few times, that's all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am going to try to do my Ultimate Character Analysis Topic soon. All the veterans confirmed, plus a lot of potential newcomers being de-confirmed, and the lack of free time I have nowadays has made me think I should not do an analysis for every series for the sake of having an analysis for every series, but rather only series that has a reasonable chance of gaining a newcomer, either through a true newcomer slot or an echo fighter.

These are are the series I was still thinking of doing:
Super Mario (Captain Toad, Geno Paper Mario)
Donkey Kong (K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong)
The Legend of Zelda (Impa)
Metroid (Dark Samus, Sylux)
Kirby (Bandanna Dee)
Pokemon (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, 8th Gen Promotional Pokemon)
Fire Emblem (Chrom, Cellica, Three Houses Promotional Representative)
Wario (Ashley)
Kid Icarus (Medusa)
Animal Crossing (Isabelle, Tom Nook)
Xenoblade (Elma, Rex & Pyrra)
Splatoon (Octolings)
Newcomer Series (ARMS Represenative, Rhthym Heaven Represenative, Chibi Robo, Dillon, Isaac, Saki, Lip)
Retro (Balloon Fighter, Excite Biker, Mach Rider)
Third-Party (Simon Belmont, Rayman, Shadow, Ken, Jeanne)

As you may or may not tell, many of the contenders listed are those that are plausible for echo fighter inclusion. This list is not set in stone, but I think its pretty much who I will be writing up on. I can make a list on who is a true newcomer contender and who is an echo fighter contender for those that are curious.

One thing I find amusing is that I have traditionally called these comprehensive analyses "Ultimate", and now we have a Smash Bros. game were its name is Ultimate. So it will likely be called "The Ultimate Smash Bros. Ultimate Newcomer Analysis Topic".

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I didn't need to address general knockback. Video did it for me. And I wasn't arguing that point, so no point in bringing it up.
You follow that trend I keep seeing here of "I'm right, also let's not talk about this."
No, the video didn't address it, because I said it in response to the video. There's no clear thing that they're referring to that's actually the case. We've seen that both the angle and magnitude of knockback can very between fighters and clones.
Dr. Mario was just a bad example in some ways. But in another way, it was addressing why he isn't a costume as well, because his Megavitamins have different properties. Many keep thinking he should be an alt costume. So while it's a bad example for Echoes, it's a good explanation for other people.
They were asking about what makes a character an echo rather than what justifies them not being a costume. That's now what a good explanation is. The dair was the only part of the moveset discussion that was even clearly true, but that was already obvious.

Shroob

Sup?
Gonna try and be in the thread more now that E3 is over. I'll pop in every now and then. Who all here was from Smash 4 speculation that I'll remember?
Dunno, I stopped posting once the dlc for 4 ended since speculation was pretty done, but I was hella active around Megaman's reveal until Bayonetta.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
ChronoBound ChronoBound You should also look into Lip from Panel De Pon on the Retro, for the analyse. Just check out BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's analyse of her, and see that she could be just as likely as Excitebike Racer.

- - - -

Another thing for everyone else.
What do you guys think of the return of; Rainbow Cruise, Icicle Mountain, PokeFloats and Rumble Falls, for example?

Troykv

Smash Master
I am going to try to do my Ultimate Character Analysis Topic soon. All the veterans confirmed, plus a lot of potential newcomers being de-confirmed, and the lack of free time I have nowadays has made me think I should not do an analysis for every series for the sake of having an analysis for every series, but rather only series that has a reasonable chance of gaining a newcomer, either through a true newcomer slot or an echo fighter.

Kirby (Bandanna Dee)
Wario (Ashley)
Kid Icarus (Medusa)
Splatoon (Octolings)
Newcomer Series (ARMS Represenative, Rhthym Heaven Represenative, Chibi Robo, Dillon, Isaac, Saki, Lip)

As you may or may not tell, many of the contenders listed are those that are plausible for echo fighter inclusion. This list is not set in stone, but I think its pretty much who I will be writing up on. I can make a list on who is a true newcomer contender and who is an echo fighter contender for those that are curious.

One thing I find amusing is that I have traditionally called these comprehensive analyses "Ultimate", and now we have a Smash Bros. game were its name is Ultimate. So it will likely be called "The Ultimate Smash Bros. Ultimate Newcomer Analysis Topic".
Maybe you would use called this time "The Ultimate Definitive Smash Bros. Ultimate Analysis Topic" to be even more Ultimate :awesome:

Anyway, I'm interested in reading your opinions :D

Seeing you here remind me you had a bad time with the Tellius fans in the past, sorry Chrono.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
ChronoBound ChronoBound You should also look into Lip from Panel De Pon on the Retro, for the analyse. Just check out BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's analyse of her, and see that she could be just as likely as Excitebike Racer.

- - - -

What do you guys think of the return of; Rainbow Cruise, Icicle Mountain, PokeFloats and Rumble Falls, for example?
Considering that Big Blue is back, and Mushroomy Kingdom, scrolling stages are more likely than not (unfortunately)back.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Gonna try and be in the thread more now that E3 is over. I'll pop in every now and then. Who all here was from Smash 4 speculation that I'll remember?
I was here but I wasn't super active so you probably don't remember me

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

- - - -

I think they're all likely to return, we've got nearly every stage in smash bros history and with a game called ultimate with all veteran fighters returning I think the same should apply to the stages as well tbh, they're most of the way there anyway

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Never responded to me
There's something ironic about saying "notice me senpai" to someone with a Mimikyu avatar...
Because I wanted to be done with this after saying "actually there are people who agree with the Mii ruling." I probably should just say that specifically next time.

Lmao never realized but in the simplest terms Mimikyu can be described as "notoce me senpai the character." Thats actually great. (I'd put a laughing emoji here but my phone sucks. I dont know pretend this long message at the end is just a laughing emoji. Yay problem solved.):ultpokemontrainer:

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I've been around, speculating on Smashboards since Pre-Smash 4, but I was more into creating Icons for the Roster Maker back then. And I created the Professor Hector thread back then. This time I've done Doshin the Giant, and been quite more active on the speculative scene, so you might, or might not remember me.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd enjoy all of those returning (especially Rainbow Cruise). I always seemed to enjoy moving stages more than most. Shout-out to the funnest eye-sore this side of Brawl, Pac-Land :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Kirby (Bandanna Dee)
Wario (Ashley)
Kid Icarus (Medusa)
Splatoon (Octolings)

Interesting. Do I take it that you believe Nook is still possible despite being Villager's Final Smash still?

Also thoughts on the missing Tingle for when you do your Zelda series?

I look forward to this, you always had very good analysis that were a good read.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'd enjoy all of those returning (especially Rainbow Cruise). I always seemed to enjoy moving stages more than most. Shout-out to the funnest eye-sore this side of Brawl, Pac-Land :p
I would love most of them too, but considering Icicle Mountain, it was ugly, and did not feel like a stage, other than something they threw on quickly for the reimagined Ice Climbers, but with Summit being their ultimate stage in Brawl, I'd be rather curious to how they will re-create Icicle Montain if it comes back. I hope for it being similar to the sneak peek of Fourside. Being re-re-imagined to fit the Ice Climbers theme.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
Speaking of Doshin, do you guys think we'll have references to more obscure nintendo franchises with music, trophies, or heck, the return of stickers? I always loved finding out more of these small franchises like Card Hero.

D

Deleted member

This thread has turned into a bunch of sociopaths oh my gosh.

Two people did something wrong. Taking out anything Waluigi, screwing over an entire fanbase? Not only is it petty and rude. It's like the equivalent to a teacher punishing an entire classroom for the actions of one student.

Some of y'all shouldn't have kids.
Unfortunately in the real world, that happens a lot. Negative reinforcement is stronger than positive reinforcement. For example, I could check out the ratings of a pizza restaurant now and see that ten people gave it a great review but if even one person puts up the contrary argument describing his or her concern with the place, I may rethink my decision and go somewhere else to eat.

Most Waluigi fans are probably decent people but it takes only one case like this to give them a bad reputation. Good work takes a long time to achieve recognition but doing something bad can wash away all of that in other people's eyes.

Waluigi's fan base will be reeling from this controversy for a while. That's not to say that I agree with punishing the entire fan base for the actions of a few nor do I think Sakurai will do that but this is something that everyone, not just Waluigi fans, would be wise to keep in mind for the future.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm not exactly rooting for his inclusion, but I would like to see Mike Jones for 2 reasons. StarTropics is awesome and I want to play a character that has my first name.

Also I'm so desperate for Yoshi discussion I brought the topic around vore. Remember kids, don't be like me...

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Speaking of Doshin, do you guys think we'll have references to more obscure nintendo franchises with music, trophies, or heck, the return of stickers? I always loved finding out more of these small franchises like Card Hero.
If we are lucky, a trophy.
If we are really lucky, a music track and/or Assist Trophy.
If we are extremley lucky, a stage.
If Sakurai is Sakurai x2, a playable character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not exactly rooting for his inclusion, but I would like to see Mike Jones for 2 reasons. StarTropics is awesome and I want to play a character that has my first name.

Also I'm so desperate for Yoshi discussion I brought the topic around vore. Remember kids, don't be like me...
If there are any random NES era curveballs left at all, he would be the one.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Interesting. Do I take it that you believe Nook is still possible despite being Villager's Final Smash still?

Also thoughts on the missing Tingle for when you do your Zelda series?

I look forward to this, you always had very good analysis that were a good read.
I did not know Tom Nook was still part of the Villager's Final Smash. If that is so, strike him from the list I made, and Isabelle is now the only Animal Crossing contender.

As for Tingle, I feel he is a character that would need an unique moveset for inclusion and since Sakurai said there are going to be a limited amount of unique newcomers this time around, I think his chances are looking poor right now even though his Assist Trophy has not been spotted (has he been spotted in the Great Bay either?). I suppose he could be an echo fighter of Balloon Fighter if he managed to get in. Regardless, I will include an analysis of Tingle in the Zelda section, but it will not be under the contender section.

Maybe you would use called this time "The Ultimate Definitive Smash Bros. Ultimate Analysis Topic" to be even more Ultimate :awesome:

Anyway, I'm interested in reading your opinions :D

Seeing you here remind me you had a bad time with the Tellius fans in the past, sorry Chrono.
That was over ten years ago. You do not need to apologize to me or on anyone's behalf. I am glad that you are looking forward to it. This topic has been a tradition I have been doing for over ten years, and this is most likely the final time I will be doing it.

Lip is under the newcomer series section along with Isaac and Saki. All three of them could be considered to be retro characters at this point, but the last installments of their respective franchises (2007/2009/2016 for Panel de Pon, 2009 for Sin & Punishment, 2010 for Golden Sun) does not make their respective franchises retro just yet.

Shroob

Sup?
Was Lip's Stick in the demo speaking of which?

I remember that it wasn't in 4's E3 Demo either, and then one day just showed up as a PotD.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
Waluigi's fan base will be reeling from this controversy for a while. That's not to say that I agree with punishing the entire fan base for the actions of a few nor do I think Sakurai will do that but this is something that everyone, not just Waluigi fans, would be wise to keep in mind for the future.
Yeah, a lot of people right now are dismissing Sakurai and the team for some of the smallest things. Many are even mad characters like K. Rool aren't in yet, and therefore Sakurai hates that fanbase.

That's not even mentioning the stupid "Fire Emblem has too many characters" thing everyone is getting really mad over

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Was Lip's Stick in the demo speaking of which?

I remember that it wasn't in 4's E3 Demo either, and then one day just showed up as a PotD.
It was not. I haven't seen the flower effect at all so far either, actually.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Meeee! I went by iDOWN at the time. I ran the Miiverse daily pic thread and was a mod for a while.

D

Deleted member

Kirby (Bandanna Dee)
Wario (Ashley)
Kid Icarus (Medusa)
Splatoon (Octolings)

I would include the Champions since if we get anyone from Breath of the Wild, it'll be one of the four Champions.

If you are doing DLC, I would also consider adding Marx seeing as he has returned.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Lip is under the newcomer series section along with Isaac and Saki. All three of them could be considered to be retro characters at this point, but the last installments of their respective franchises (2007/2009/2016 for Panel de Pon, 2009 for Sin & Punishment, 2010 for Golden Sun) does not make their respective franchises retro just yet.
Hot damn, my apologize. I always think of Lip as a Retro, therefore, I did not see her 3 letter name at the end of the catagory above, haha.
I do understand how you think now. Thank's for clearing it up.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i was in the smash 4 social until i left (and then it died) so yo?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I find Pokemon discussion, Smash related or otherwise to be interesting, given my stance on the series. I'm not exactly but damn near close to being a 'genwunner'. Gen 4 is my favourite, then gen 1 and part of what I love about 4 is the evolutions certain gen 1 Pokemon got like Lickitung and Magneton. My top 4 favourite Pokemon are all from gen 1 :135::133::037::130:. The first time I put a Pokemon game down without beating it was White, only getting as far as the 6th gym. Eventually finished it to prepare for Black 2 but I didn't enjoy the former. Loved the latter. Got XY and ORAS and didn't enjoy any of them. Had my mom buy me Sun and didn't enjoy it so I've considered myself done with modern Pokemon. Only getting Let's Go Eevee because I can't see them screwing up a Kanto game.

To tie this into Smash, I've actually never been hyped for Pokemon newcomers despite it being my favourite game series as a kid. Was too young to be on forums like this, speculating when it came to Melee and Brawl coming out and with Sm4sh and this game, I just don't care for any of the 'new' Pokemon. I liked Pikachu in Brawl (and Lucario too when I first started since I got hit a lot and got to make use of aura) and I like Mewtwo in Sm4sh to a point plus Pichu is always fun to troll people with. Just an interesting difference in opinion to me since I see a lot of people complain about 'genwunners' when I label myself as a borderline one. Still think Decidueye is a boring choice though. The whole 'gotta complete the fire, water, grass' trio thing from before Ivy was confirmed seemed dumb to me, I feel people look at how popular Rowlet is and think that that helps Decidueye despite the fact we don't have Raichu, Wigglytuff, Venusaur or Blastoise as playable and the whole 'archer moveset' thing to me just screams one neutral special ala the Links and Pits or at best some projectile aerials or smash attacks like Megaman and Villager. Don't care for Mimikyu or Lycanroc.

Also, I was on my phone at working readin this thread and even after I cleared my cache, those SSBU icons still weren't popping up. They show up just fine on desktop but I have no idea what you guys were talking about with that Discord thing.

And I've mentioned it before but I'm happy to see Meta Knight get an updated Galacta Knight outfit. It was my most used MK outfit in Sm4sh and I can see myself using it a lot in SSBU too. Hoping his theme gets in this time. I'm also curious if MK's Dark Meta Knight outfit will geta similar treatment with a cracked mask, tattered wings and a silver sword. Ike could get a silver sword too if he keeps his Black Knight outfit to reference Alondite. PM did that. And actually, with the cracked mask thing in mind, I wonder if they'll ever go back to those plans they had for Brawl where MK's mask, Falcon's visor and Link's shield would take damage over time. We already have Mac's bandages so it'd be neat to see that further expanded upon.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Kirby (Bandanna Dee)
Wario (Ashley)
Kid Icarus (Medusa)
Splatoon (Octolings)

Hey long time not see.

If you want my thought, here is what I would say is relevant and not relevant
  • Mario - Probably worth your time as there is still enough to talk about
  • DK - Dixie and K Rool may warrent discussion but those are the only two worth bringing up
  • Zelda - I'd say yes but include the Champions as well. Interestingly, we haven't seen them as assist so there is a possibility one could happen
  • Metroid - Could probably skip now that Ridley is in
  • Kirby - Not really important unless you really want to talk about Bandana Dee
  • Pokemon - This one is odd as there is a lot you could discuss but its such an odd series. They could really go with anyone
  • Fire Emblem - I don't think it's worth it but if your a fan, go ahead. Heroes and Echoes does give you something to work with
  • Wario - Basically just Ashley
  • Kid Icarus - I say skip
  • Animal Crossing - Tom Nook is part of Villager's FS again so its just Isabelle unless you got some wild idea. Unless you want to go over that, skip
  • Xenoblade - Probably worth it but Rex is definitely the favorite.
  • Splatoon - Can skip
  • New Series - Worth it
  • Retro - I feel like if you are going to discuss it, it would have to be overarching. I don't think they'll add a retro character for the sake of doing it this time
  • Third Party - With the effort and money to bring back all the guest they may not even have a new one. Worth it, sort of
So, in summary, I say Mario, DK, Zelda, Pokemon, Xenoblade, New series, third parties and maybe Fire Emblem are worth it. The rest you can skip unless you have some burning desire to talk about it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To tie this into Smash, I've actually never been hyped for Pokemon newcomers despite it being my favourite game series as a kid. Was too young to be on forums like this, speculating when it came to Melee and Brawl coming out and with Sm4sh and this game, I just don't care for any of the 'new' Pokemon. I liked Pikachu in Brawl (and Lucario too when I first started since I got hit a lot and got to make use of aura) and I like Mewtwo in Sm4sh to a point plus Pichu is always fun to troll people with. Just an interesting difference in opinion to me since I see a lot of people complain about 'genwunners' when I label myself as a borderline one. Still think Decidueye is a boring choice though. The whole 'gotta complete the fire, water, grass' trio thing from before Ivy was confirmed seemed dumb to me, I feel people look at how popular Rowlet is and think that that helps Decidueye despite the fact we don't have Raichu, Wigglytuff, Venusaur or Blastoise as playable and the whole 'archer moveset' thing to me just screams one neutral special ala the Links and Pits or at best some projectile aerials or smash attacks like Megaman and Villager. Don't care for Mimikyu or Lycanroc.
I'm an active believer in Golisopod for a Pokemon slot, I love the guy too much. :p I don't see a thread for him either, so that can buy me a few hours until December 7th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom