• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Waluigi is a much bigger "all-star" than K. Rool, let's not kid ourselves. Being a frequent face in the Mario spin off titles makes him a lot more familiar to people than a villain who was written out of his own series a decade ago.

But in general "all-star" is a meaningless buzzword, so eh.
Toad, who has had playable roles in the mainline series since 1988 (30 years ago), and was the main protagonist of multiple spinoff titles (Wario's Woods and Captain Toad), still has not made it in, yet Toad fans are not spamming Sakurai with garbage despite many of them wanting to see Toad in Smash Bros. when a large portion of Waluigi's fanbase were still in diapers. Toad fans had to watch newer characters introduced to the series get in over him, and yet they simply agreed to trooper on. Their reaction to Toad still being a part of Peach's special (and Daisy's). "Oh well. At least they are now portraying Toad as a fighter instead of a flailing baby. Hopefully, Captain Toad can at least make it." These people have been waiting as long as Ridley fans have, so I understand their frustration, and I commend them for still holding on hope despite all the demoralization they have faced over the years.

Also, being well-known and from the Mario series is not an accomplishment. Basically, the only Mario characters that are not well known are those that originated from the RPGs or were one-off enemies.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am late to the party, but I am disgusted by those who trolled Sakurai about Waluigi on his social media, especially with things such as that pathetic 9/11 joke. Who the heck would think of a joke as bad as that? Plus, what they did was really immature and uncool. They are even making other Waluigi fans who are good look bad. They seriously need to grow up.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
So, off topic questions. Have we seen all the alts for Link yet? I know we have his default Champion outfit and the Hero of the Wild outfit, what what of the other six? There just going to be three recolors of one, and three more for the other, or are we going to see other outfits from Breath of the Wild? I'd love to see these:

Link's alternate costumes have already been shown off.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I honestly can't fathom not buying Ultimate based on any character inclusion/exclusion. I mean, there's so many good characters already in the game! I'd have loved Waluigi as a silly, "cheating" fighter, but life goes on. I hate pretty much everything about Bayonetta, but she's earned her spot on the roster. Life moves on. Goku would bother me on many levels, but I'd still play the game, and maybe even learn to enjoy him. There's more than enough fantastic content to enjoy! :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Toad, who has had playable roles in the mainline series since 1988 (30 years ago), and was the main protagonist multiple spinoff titles (Wario's Woods and Captain Toad), still has not made it in, yet Toad fans are not spamming Sakurai with garbage despite many of them wanting to see Toad in Smash Bros. when a large portion of Waluigi's fanbase were still in diapers. Toad fans had to watch newer characters introduced to the series get in over him, and yet they simply agreed to trooper on. Their reaction to Toad still being a part of Peach's special (and Daisy's). "Oh well. At least they are now portraying Toad as a fighter instead of a flailing baby. Hopefully, Captain Toad can at least make it." These people have been waiting as long as Ridley fans have, so I understand their frustration, and I commend them for still holding on hope despite all the demoralization they have faced over the years.

Also, being well-known and from the Mario series is not an accomplishment. Basically, the only Mario characters that are not well known are those that originated from the RPGs or were one-off enemies.
Ironic that you're bringing up Ridley fans when they did the same thing you're vilifying Waluigi fans for doing (and arguably to a worse degree) after the Pyrosphere incident. Death threats, temper tantrums, accusing other characters of snubbing theirs, the whole nine yards.

And that popularity still makes him an all-star. I'll stand by that.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Link's alternate costumes have already been shown off.

Ah, damn. At least it's four of each, rather than seven based off the Champion tunic, and four based off the Tunic of the Wild.

A shame, but it was a bit of a longshot anyways.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I've already said it enough, the man apologized. Give it a rest. :drsad: It was just one guy, not millions of Waluigi fans attacking Sakurai. One heckin' guy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I honestly can't fathom not buying Ultimate based on any character inclusion/exclusion. I mean, there's so many good characters already in the game! I'd have loved Waluigi as a silly, "cheating" fighter, but life goes on. I hate pretty much everything about Bayonetta, but she's earned her spot on the roster. Life moves on. Goku would bother me on many levels, but I'd still play the game, and maybe even learn to enjoy him. There's more than enough fantastic content to enjoy! :)
Same. I just pre-ordered Smash Ultimate over the weekend despite my disappointment for Toad and Meowth still not playable fighters.

Toad at least has Captain Toad as Plan B.

Poor Meowth has nothing. Not even a vocal fan base like Ridley’s or memes like Waluigi’s. But I will persist. Meowth’s Pay Day will come.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So, off topic questions. Have we seen all the alts for Link yet? I know we have his default Champion outfit and the Hero of the Wild outfit, what what of the other six? There just going to be three recolors of one, and three more for the other, or are we going to see other outfits from Breath of the Wild? I'd love to see these:

Unfortunately it looks like we are just getting the champions tunic and traditional green tunic with recolors. Super dissapointing but I guess it would be a lot of work to have all these different options.

Also people need to stop pointing to "All of a characters alts have been shown" as evidence for anything. The fact that Ridley's Meta alt is missing is proof that some characters may not have all of their alts in this early build. Anything is still possible.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ah, damn. At least it's four of each, rather than seven based off the Champion tunic, and four based off the Tunic of the Wild.

I actually think Link got the best recolors out of anybody. I can actually tell what each one is referencing, and they have very clear distinctions among them. So many recolors are either vague references at best or wayyyyy too similar to one another. *cough*CLOUD*cough*

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's possible that extra Alts might be a new unlockable. Time will tell.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
Pick 5? Piece of cake. :4falco:

:ultwolf::ultpichu::ultluigi::ultridley::ultinkling:
Man, I really like these new stock icons.

There's gonna be so many Woomy's in this game. Debating maining Inklings just for the Woomy.
One question, though... Do we have Ngyes for the Inkling Boys?

So, it's confirmed that Meta Knight will have a Galacta Knight costume.

I'm sorry for the people who don't know and keep hoping for him as an echo fighter.
Wonder if we'll get more echo deconfirmed with the next new costumes reveals.
Even though I was hoping for Galacta Knight to be a playable character, I don't mind this at all. That costume might make me consider using Meta Knight a little more often.

D

Deleted member

Waluigi is a much bigger "all-star" than K. Rool, let's not kid ourselves. Being a frequent face in the Mario spin off titles makes him a lot more familiar to people than a villain who was written out of his own series a decade ago.

But in general "all-star" is a meaningless buzzword, so eh.
In which he does nothing of importance. King K. Rool at least has major roles in each game he appears in. They may have been a decade ago but the fact that he's still around along with Sakurai making a Mii Costume is a testament to how much appeal he has as a character. If Waluigi disappeared for a decade, could you say the same thing?

Also, please source where K. Rool fans made death threats towards Sakurai.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ironic that you're bringing up Ridley fans when they did the same thing you're vilifying Waluigi fans for doing (and arguably to a worse degree) after the Pyrosphere incident. Death threats, temper tantrums, accusing other characters of snubbing theirs, the whole nine yards.

And that popularity still makes him an all-star. I'll stand by that.
I called out the Ridley fans when they were making convoluted theories about the Pyrosphere shadow after the April Smash 4 Direct. I got dogpiled for it despite my seniority within the Ridley fanbase. I told them they were better off cheering on Bagan instead of believing Ridley was going to to be playable in Smash 4 Wii U (and this was after Smash 4 3DS was released), and that Bagan's work would at least provide a model to those neutrally aligned about Ridley to show the character could be re-sized and work within Smash Bros. Funny enough, Bagan's work actually was consistently used as proof that Ridley was workable within Smash Bros., while all those pushing the convoluted conspiracy theories were proven wrong (there were still idiots pushing Ridley was a link up bonus character up until Sakurai flat out came out and said he felt re-sizing Ridley would be against the character).

The people who are most often popular within a fanboy mob is the one who says the things people wish and want to be true. I do not like sugar coating things. I will say where and when hope can be inspired, but I also like to temper expectations and also point out where they are "chasing shadows". Sometimes my words crack like a whip, other times it can be soothing ointment. Regardless, I will call things as I see them, and right now the Waluigi fanbase needs to chill out. I might sound harsh, but maybe I might have been irked due to the character in question (who for most of the time I worked with speculation was seen as something of a joke). Times have changed I guess.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Regardless, I will call things as I see them, and right now the Waluigi fanbase needs to chill out.
It's literally just ONE guy who was essentially disowned by his own community until he apologized. :substitute:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
:ultdaisy::ultdaisy::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultdaisy:

Did I do it right?

UserKev

Smash Champion
This is why I feel like Daisy shouldn't have been included even tho I'm not opposed to the character. Just, She's literal fuel to the hate of Waluigi's de-confirmation.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593

True, but at least we still got some nice references. Fierce Diety Link, TP Link and SS Link (in his casual clothes) seem to be referenced.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I called out the Ridley fans when they were making convoluted theories about the Pyrosphere shadow after the April Smash 4 Direct. I got dogpiled for it despite my seniority within the Ridley fanbase. I told them they were better off cheering on Bagan instead of believing Ridley was going to to be playable in Smash 4 Wii U (and this was after Smash 4 3DS was released), and that Bagan's work would at least provide a model to those neutrally aligned about Ridley to show the character could be re-sized and work within Smash Bros. Funny enough, Bagan's work actually was consistently used as proof that Ridley was workable within Smash Bros., while all those pushing the convoluted conspiracy theories were proven wrong (there were still idiots pushing Ridley was a link up bonus character up until Sakurai flat out came out and said he felt re-sizing Ridley would be against the character).

The people who are most often popular within a fanboy mob is the one who says the things people wish and want to be true. I do not like sugar coating things. I will say where and when hope can be inspired, but I also like to temper expectations and also point out where they are "chasing shadows". Sometimes my words crack like a whip, other times it can be soothing ointment. Regardless, I will call things as I see them, and right now the Waluigi fanbase needs to chill out. I might sound harsh, but maybe I might have been irked due to the character in question (who for most of the time I worked with speculation was seen as something of a joke). Times have changed I guess.
My point, however, is that (and do correct me if I'm wrong) you're painting the entire Waluigi fanbase in broad strokes, similar to how someone may have painted Ridley's despite you being proof of the contrary. I swear, it's always the purple characters. :p

In which he does nothing of importance. King K. Rool at least has major roles in each game he appears in. They may have been a decade ago but the fact that he's still around along with Sakurai making a Mii Costume is a testament to how much appeal he has as a character. If Waluigi disappeared for a decade, could you say the same thing?

Also, please source where K. Rool fans made death threats towards Sakurai.
It doesn't matter if he does "nothing of importance." Characters don't get into Smash based on in-universe feats. That's ridiculous. Sans Captain Toad, all of the mandatory-tier important Mario characters are in, but Waluigi is proof that there are still popular characters left.

Folks like Takamaru got Mii costumes as well, and yet he was still relegated to an Assist this time around despite his popularity. I don't see what makes this relevant.

A decade? It took him being missing from a single game for people to be upset. His omission from Mario Kart 7, the subsequent outrage, and then him being confirmed practically immediately for Mario Kart 8 is pretty telling.

And I don't keep links to Twitter posts and YouTube comments made four years ago by internet trolls. But believe me, after Bayo got in there were definitely death threats pointed Sakurai's way on Twitter claiming the ballot was rigged and K. Rool was "the real winner."

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This is why I feel like Daisy shouldn't have been included even tho I'm not opposed to the character. Just, She's literal fuel to the hate of Waluigi's de-confirmation.
That is the stupidest reason for excluding a character I have ever read and I've hung out on these boards for years.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why Daisy's inclusion upsets so many Waluigi fans. Daisy was both created first and an easy echo fighter, her inclusion was in no way a guarantee of Waluigi's inclusion nor is it the reason he's not in. They're completely unrelated

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I think it's because they are both considered spin off only characters and they are both fan favorites. It just so happens one managed to enter while the other didn't.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So Daisy should have been deconfirmed just to make Waluigi fans feel less salty about Waluigi being an Assist Trophy again? How would that help Daisy fans?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don't understand why Daisy's inclusion upsets so many Waluigi fans. Daisy was both created first and an easy echo fighter, her inclusion was in no way a guarantee of Waluigi's inclusion nor is it the reason he's not in. They're completely unrelated
I honestly argue her inclusion as an echo fighter made it easier for Waluigi to be a fighter, as unique fighters they shared similar Movesets (repping Mario Spin off games). Of course it just happened that Waluigi was disconfirmed shortly after.

Daisy being an echo fighter bodes well for Waluigi's chances in the future...that is unless Smash gets totally rebooted lol.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If that's actually the case, Waluigi fans need to grow the hell up.

Seriously. Is there anything more childish than the argument of "but why did SHE get in? I'm supposed to be the special one!!"?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I honestly argue her inclusion as an echo fighter made it easier for Waluigi to be a fighter, as unique fighters they shared similar Movesets (repping Mario Spin off games). Of course it just happened that Waluigi was disconfirmed shortly after.

Daisy being an echo fighter bodes well for Waluigi's chances in the future...that is unless Smash gets totally rebooted lol.
I do think that Smash is getting totally rebooted with the next game. I don't know how they can follow up this game otherwise.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Well, at least Toad and Waluigi are running out of competitors for Mario Rep in Smash 6.

Wario in Brawl.
Rosalina and Bowser Jr. in SSB4.
Daisy in Ultimate.

Of course they still have to face Geno and Paper Mario and each other.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
ONE PERS I give up. :dizzy: This'll never fade away no matter how many times I drill it in.
I wasn't referring to the Twitter thing you were talking about. I don't even know what that is.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
ONE PERS I give up. :dizzy: This'll never fade away no matter how many times I drill it in.
Don't worry I heard you, people need to stop roping everyone in a fanbase together.

I don't think everyone is still lingering over that one person though, and just the general Waluigi fan dissapointment recently. Seriously I didn't expect so many videos, articles, posts, pictures upset over his disconfirmation (is that the right word?). Haven't seen that much dissapointment from any other fanbase who got their character disconfirmed with the direct/E3.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I backed waluigi but he wasnt a necessity to me by any means in fact to me the mario newcomers ive always wanted was between toad and geno, geno being a personal want and toad being the missing piece of the mario roster. last time i was indifferent to rosalina and surprised by bowser jr as im a huge koopalings fan but counted them off as impossible and probly more like stage hazard material but sakurai made it work and if i had thought they were possible the way they are, they'd have been a top mario want for me.

now regarding waluigi like i said i always backed him buuut it was more like "a mario sports/spin off rep would be cool" and then the choice came down to waluigi or daisy and i thought waluigi was the better choice. but now that we got daisy im by no means mad about it, totally happy with her i just backed the wrong horse here thinking a unique moveset was in order and waluigi fit THAT bill better. now that daisy is an echo its even more likely waluigi next time (if there is a next time) could be a unique fighter with a spinoff based moveset as daisy is an echo and sort of out of the running for that.

as far as a negative waluigi fanbase harassing sakurai right now, some people need to grow up.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think Sakurai anticipated Waluigi being so popular, I think you can see it in just how casually he's deconfirmed, usually Sakurai handles popular characters' deconfirmations a bit more carefully than showing the character getting beaten up. His popularity is a very recent thing, he's always been brought up of course, but I've only seen it boom like this since Ultimate's initial reveal back in March, before then he was never considered as one of the frontrunners, not even amongst Mario characters. Take Sakurai's "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll be a fighter" comment when he deconfirmed Waluigi for Smash 4, it wasn't a big deal back then, but if he had said that now there'd be mass outrage.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
That is the stupidest reason for excluding a character I have ever read and I've hung out on these boards for years.
Which, reason you should be exploding against, opened the door to all types of new shenanigans.
So Daisy should have been deconfirmed just to make Waluigi fans feel less salty about Waluigi being an Assist Trophy again? How would that help Daisy fans?
Yes. All in fair game, bud. Both Daisy and Waluigi should have been assist trophies.
If that's actually the case, Waluigi fans need to grow the hell up.

Seriously. Is there anything more childish than the argument of "but why did SHE get in? I'm supposed to be the special one!!"?
Seriously, did you need to add to an already gibberish pattern? As if the last responses I got didn't already make the point.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I love how Bomberman fans who had the sting of their third party pick being relegated to an assist are being more mature than the people who support a character that has been the poster boy assist trophy since Brawl's days.

Like I absolutely support Waluigi but chill out. My group of friends can vouge for how insanely disappointed I was for Lyn to be an assist again, it really friggin hurt, but I moved on and still have SO much to be excited for with this game. Grow up, people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom