• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
This seems pretty easy.

:ultsnake::ultbayonetta::ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultkirby:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
There's screenshots of the new one?
There's informed speculation that Final Destination was initially seen in one of the screenshots of the Ice Climbers online + On the blog today they posted four screenshots of the black hole item, two of which are on what we're all speculating to be Final Destination.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Something important to note is that smashboards banned Ridley threads during the tail end of brawl speculation due to vitriol on both sides. In addition, the smash 4 Ridley thread was full of disagreements and conflicts until it was closed shortly before the Wii U version came out. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened to waluigi this time due to the events unfolding.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Honestly, at least they showed us Waluigi is an assist trophy right away instead of making us twiddle our thumbs over it for however long until we eventually found out. This is especially considering how much speculation has gone on over other characters that also haven't been confirmed for AT like Shadow.

This also goes for Lyn and Bomberman and whoever else. Also this isn't really about the guy wilding out at Sakurai or whatever I just noticed y'all were talking about Waluigi. Any kind of backlash happening right now would've just been amplified if they'd held onto that info.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Ah, gotcha.
I completely agree with that.

Decidueye is the character I need in order for this game to live up to its title, but I'd still buy the game even if he's not in.
That is, unless a certain Pikachu imposter gets in.
You would actually not buy the game because Mimikyu got in? Dude....I like you but thats just sad.

EDIT: Apparently I got Greninja'd like six or seven times so feel free to ignore. :(

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Which, reason you should be exploding against, opened the door to all types of new shenanigans.
Let's distill this to something very simple:

1) Imagine your favourite character who is not yet confirmed.

2) I now hate that character and will do obscene things if they are announced.

3) Congratulations! Your character shouldn't get in!

If this sounds ridiculous to you, good. Because it is and it's functionally no different to excluding Daisy on the basis that it's going to set off some insane Waluigi fan with a tenuous grasp on common decency.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Can we stop talking about Waluigi please? I mean, I can't stop anyone from doing so, but this is getting a bit too close to hostile for my liking. I'm pretty sure they intentionally showed Waluigi as an assist right away to not string fans along. Waluigi isn't worth arguing over.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
You would actually not buy the game because Mimikyu got in? Dude....I like you but thats just sad.
I’ve actually had someone tell me if porky was playable they wouldn’t buy the game because they have a massive fear of spiders and they don’t want to trigger an anxiety attack fighting him. I personally don’t see it but I guess I can understand? Maybe they are just afraid of dolls.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
usually Sakurai handles popular characters' deconfirmations a bit more carefully than showing the character getting beaten up.
Is this really an issue? It's like these characters have cults that won't let their personal god be blasphemed.
I like Waddle Dee, but I'd much rather see him get eaten alive by Kirby as an assist trophy than just find out he's not in because I unlocked all the characters and he's not one of them. It's a fighting game, if you don't want your sacred cow to be brutalized, then don't ask from them to be included in the first place.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Seriously, did you need to add to an already gibberish pattern? As if the last responses I got didn't already make the point.
Well, unlike you, I don't get alerts on my screen for every time you get replied to. Apologies for calling out a rather inane post that other people also wanted to call out.

You might be the first person I've seen here who's openly salty about a character's entry while also trying to play the neutral party card.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I’ve actually had someone tell me if porky was playable they wouldn’t buy the game because they have a massive fear of spiders and they don’t want to trigger an anxiety attack fighting him. I personally don’t see it but I guess I can understand? Maybe they are just afraid of dolls.
Thats definately not why he doesn't want Mimikyu. Pretty sure he said something about its fans a while back but I'm not going 1501 pages back to find out.

Anyway, if he were afraid of dolls aren't mannaquins basically the same thing? Wii Fit looks like a mannaquin.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

Go at it
Already posted in Nintenzone but why not.

:ultshulk::ultzelda::ultinkling::ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud:

Would NEVER expect to have Pokemon Trainer and Zelda on this list but oh my God they were so fun to play.

:ultmegaman::ultpichu: and :ultyounglink: are VERY close seconds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can we stop talking about Waluigi please? I mean, I can't stop anyone from doing so, but this is getting a bit too close to hostile for my liking. I'm pretty sure they intentionally showed Waluigi as an assist right away to not string fans along. Waluigi isn't worth arguing over.
Honestly, no character is really worth arguing over. I mean, the games are for fun, y'know? I think we all just gotta remember to not take it all too seriously.

Supporting a character you like is fun, but I feel some people definitely take it too far and make it too personal nowadays...

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Something important to note is that smashboards banned Ridley threads during the tail end of brawl speculation due to vitriol on both sides. In addition, the smash 4 Ridley thread was full of disagreements and conflicts until it was closed shortly before the Wii U version came out. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened to waluigi this time due to the events unfolding.
I don't think Ridley fans went this far. But perhaps I am forgetful.

But if they did, I doubt he'd be playable. For this scenario, I don't see Waluigi ever becoming playable.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Looks like with Waluigi, Nintendo has a popular character on their hands.

There are worse problems.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

But if they did, I doubt he'd be playable. For this scenario, I don't see Waluigi ever becoming playable.
They definitely went that far. I was there.

Ridley fans as a whole mellowed out since then though. Chill group of people.

On another note, I'm ridiculously excited to play as Ivysaur again.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

I don’t remember circumstances where they tweeted Sakurai 9/11 memes to the point of being blocked, but they were definitely pretty upset. I remember many angry comments on articles after Sakurai said he was too big.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ugh, all this “justice for Waluigi” crap makes me want to vomit.

I love Waluigi. Ever since I was a kid, he’s been one of my favorite Mario characters. I’ve wanted him in Smash since Brawl, and yeah, I was disappointed when he showed up as an Assist Trophy yet again.

But people are taking this whole thing so terribly far. At the end of the day, it’s one single character; the harassment is unwarranted and disgusting. Poor Sakurai is putting his all into Smash, and this is what he gets in return. Blegh, this whole situation is the worst.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It looks like Nintendo asked the top players for advices and feedback during E3, so the game can be more competitive.

That's awesome.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am very excited to play as Ivysaur again too! I always wanted to see Ivysaur and Duck Hunt together and now they will in Smash Ultimate!

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Do we have any semblance of how much time a stage took to make in previous installments? A comment by Sakurai or anything like that. I'm trying to guess a number of new stages in Ultimate but I just have no idea how long stages take. iirc I read somewhere that some stages had imported textures from the source game, something about there being extra TP textures in Bridge of Eldin back in Brawl.

I'm really curious about the stages in this game now. Would it be possible to reach one hundred stages?

D

Deleted member

Go at it
Oooh, only 5? This is gonna be hard...

Well, here goes! (The Ultimate smilies don't work for me, so I'm just gonna use the Wii U ones): Inkling, :4wario2:, :4ganondorf:, :4lucas:, :4luigi:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I do remember when little mac got deconfirmed as an assist trophy. it was hard. it hurt. but i buckled down and hope for geno... which also didnt happen...

anyway point being i think we've all had a character we want not make it, probly best to try and spread your want list to multiple characters and be realistic about a character you wants chances, and even then if the chance looks very high be prepared for the worst and if you already love smash enough to be here and supporting a character then im sure you can still find some joy in the game with whatever the roster turns out to be.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Link's alternate costumes have already been shown off.

WHY do they keep making the Fierce Deity one GREEN?

I know that MM had it kinda teal in game but that ended up looking right in the psychedelic boss room. That one looks best in pure white, like HW did it.

But the others do look pretty good, especially the Dark Link one. I would totally be up for a whole DLC Link and Zelda costume set for more options.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
i still feel so vindicated after how i essentially came up in here daily to mope about wanting them back

i love my precious babies squirtle and ivysaur. such sweet cinnamon rolls. i will protect them with my life.

charizard who? oh him. yeah after he ditched my babies we don't talk about him anymore

Troykv

Smash Master
I love how Bomberman fans who had the sting of their third party pick being relegated to an assist are being more mature than the people who support a character that has been the poster boy assist trophy since Brawl's days.

Like I absolutely support Waluigi but chill out. My group of friends can vouge for how insanely disappointed I was for Lyn to be an assist again, it really friggin hurt, but I moved on and still have SO much to be excited for with this game. Grow up, people.
And Bomberman has a role in the game, which in incredible in their own rights despite don't being the ideal scenario.

I would like to see more of Micaiah in Smash Bros.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
It looks like Nintendo asked the top players for advices and feedback during E3, so the game can be more competitive.

That's awesome.
Allegedly, smash 4 and melee players are trying to work together to send unified feedback on universal changes that should happen to the game for its competitive scene to have an increased chance of making an impact. Zero and Armada both mentioned this in videos.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
:ultshulk::ultridley::ultzss::ultike::ultpokemontrainer:
I’m very late to this.

Shulk: Xenoblade Chronicles is by far my favorite video game, so Shulk is my eternal main. I’m really excited for the QOL update to the Monado Arts since I couldn’t stand how they operated in Smash 4. Jump, Shield and Smash still aren’t named Cyclone, Armour, and Enchant, so I guess the inaccurate and made up names are permanent. I wish Sharla, Melia, and Reyn could show up in his Final Smash, but Fiora being there is great. So that I don’t end this on nitpicking, I’m just happy he’s back in the game and at the very least has gotten some attention.

Ridley: Other than Melia and Fiora, he was by far my most wanted newcomer (and certainly my most wanted realistic newcomer). I’ve only played Prime 1 and Samus Returns, but I love Metroid’s lore. Ridley is an amazing villain with fantastic boss fights and a great design. I’ve wanted to play as him since I first saw him in Brawl, and I can’t wait to get my wish. He looks better than I ever hoped.

Zero Suit Samus: I absolutely love her play style, and she’s certainly my most played character in Smash 4. I was hoping that Samus would get an overhaul, but until that happens, I’ll be playing as Zamus.

Ike: Fire Emblem is my third favorite series, and Ike is my favorite Smash character from it. I’ve yet to play his games due to their insane price, but I’m hoping for a remake even if it isn’t likely to happen until after a few other remakes. He looks so much better in Ultimate than in the past, and I’m absolutely excited to use him. Having a beam in his neutral B is a nice touch.

Pokémon Trainer: Pokémon is not only my second favorite series but the first one I really ever played. It’s the reason I got Melee (first grade me really wanted to play as Pikachu). Having a Pokémon Trainer in Smash is such a cool idea, and it’s amazing that Sakurai was able to get it to work. I debated between choosing him and Pikachu, but his variety just edges Pikachu out. I really wanted to love playing as him in Brawl, but the Stamina mechanic sucked. With it gone, I have zero excuses not to use him. I want to learn how to play as all three, so I‘m a little worried that I won’t use Ivysaur as much with Squirtle being the fastest and Charizard being the strongest.

It’s funny how I kept to all of my mains from past games. Sorry Pikachu, you’re still my number six.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Basically every time I play in any Smash, I pick Random, as I enjoy playing as literally everyone, but if I had to pick 5 that I just enjoy playing as the most (or know I will enjoy, like I know I'll love Ridley), I would pick...

:ultbowser: It was so cool being able to actually control a Bowser in Melee. First time I did that in a game. Favorite Nintendo character tied with Samus.
:ultridley: Always wanted Ridley and finally got him, and he looks super fun to me. I like them villains.
:ultmewtwo: I was hyped unlocking Mewtwo in Melee, and I love how he plays. He really feels powerful nowdays.
:ultpokemontrainer: Probably cheating since he is three characters, but I loved all the three Mons in Brawl, and they look so nice and updated now. Squirtle surfs!
:ultcorrin: Very close between a lot of characters, but Corrin is still very new to me and plays very nice I feel. Plus, male Corrin is such a attractive pretty boy, haha.

I could probably replace any pick with a LOT of characters, but these are at least some of my most favorites.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Is this really an issue? It's like these characters have cults that won't let their personal god be blasphemed.
I like Waddle Dee, but I'd much rather see him get eaten alive by Kirby as an assist trophy than just find out he's not in because I unlocked all the characters and he's not one of them. It's a fighting game, if you don't want your sacred cow to be brutalized, then don't ask from them to be included in the first place.
Honestly, no character is really worth arguing over. I mean, the games are for fun, y'know? I think we all just gotta remember to not take it all too seriously.

Supporting a character you like is fun, but I feel some people definitely take it too far and make it too personal nowadays...
THIS. It's a video game. Video game characters. FICTIONAL.

Waluigi got de-confirmed in a sequence where he's KO'd. SO? If all Waluigi got in the direct was a picture of his face photo-shopped on a dog turd with the caption "lol not a chance", there'd still be no reason to get angry about this. Some other fan doesn't like your character? Big whop. It's a for-fun video game.

These are not real people with feelings and futures, they're pixels and data. Show a little decorum.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yep, and in all the videos I saw, Ivysaur didn't recover...
But didn't they confirm you can switch Pokemon while airborne now? Switch to Charizard, fly back.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Do we have any semblance of how much time a stage took to make in previous installments? A comment by Sakurai or anything like that. I'm trying to guess a number of new stages in Ultimate but I just have no idea how long stages take. iirc I read somewhere that some stages had imported textures from the source game, something about there being extra TP textures in Bridge of Eldin back in Brawl.

I'm really curious about the stages in this game now. Would it be possible to reach one hundred stages?
I don’t think anything has been talked about, but if they import stages from the source...awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom