• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I've been calling for playable goons for years
Plus all the fans of the goon from kirby, you know what one i'm talkin' about - he has a spear or something sometimes.
I can't remember his name, but those fans clearly want goons/ kirby goons too.

:troll:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:4pacman:How do people still believe in Verg when all he's done is make vague comments, makes these immediate switcheroos, throws a lot of "I guess"es, and for gods sake the man's track record is hella shady. I can smell that BS from two blocks away. I will gladly suck up all the tears of Simonboys once it's debunked.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ashley is appearing on WarioWare Gold advertisements in Japan:

4chan thread about it

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE
Another laughable fake 4chan leak
>Vergeben here.
>You probably know me as the person who leaked that Snake and Ridley were going to be revealed for Super Smash Bros Ultimate pre-E3 2018 along with the fact that every past Smash Bros character would return
> I've also revealed the existence of Devil Ma Cry 5 and the Resident Evil 2 remake along with leaking a Switch port of Dragon Ball FighterZ, the existence of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as DLC fighters for Injustice 2
>Here's what I know regarding Smash Bros Ultimate. Take it with a grain of salt:
> Simon Belmont is definitely in the game. Nintendo will be revealing him in a future direct leading up to the Dec. 7th release.
> Minecraft will be receiving representation in some form. Also held off for a future direct.
> More Echo Fighters will be revealed. One of them is a Donkey Kong rep.
>There will be an unexpected character that absolutely nobody will see coming much like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt in the previous Smash Bros game for 3DS/Wii U
>Master/Crazy Orders from For Wii U returns.
>All Star and Classic modes play about the same as they did in For 3DS/Wii U
>Fountain of Dreams from Melee will return as a revamped stage in Ultimate.
>There will be a stage based on Arms.
>Ultimate much like Smash Bros for 3DS remembers the last alt costume you used the next time you play.
>Young Link's final smash has him turn into Fierce Deity Link. It functions much like how Wario's Final Smash now functions.
>DLC isn't being considered at the moment, but may be a possibility after the games been out for a while.

Vergeben confirms that this isn't him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not just idles and taunts. It's the way she performs the same actions.

Daisy swings her golf club with one arm, while Peach keeps proper form.

When Peach hides behind Toad, she shows concern/fear, while Daisy doesn't give two ****s, lol.

That's what I'm talking about. Mechanically the moves are still identical, but care is given to reframe them to suit her personality. Dixie would get the same.
Dixie as an Echo would not be able to perform anything from her debut that set her apart from Diddy, or even control like she does in comparison to Diddy in the game since they'd be sharing all the basic attributes here.
And with all the attention to detail Sakurai has given both DK and Diddy when it came to their DKC roots, making Dixie for all intents and purposes a Diddy skin with some tweaked animations is rather egregious.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

4chan thread about it

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE
>Vergeben here.
>You probably know me as the person who leaked that Snake and Ridley were going to be revealed for Super Smash Bros Ultimate pre-E3 2018 along with the fact that every past Smash Bros character would return
> I've also revealed the existence of Devil Ma Cry 5 and the Resident Evil 2 remake along with leaking a Switch port of Dragon Ball FighterZ, the existence of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as DLC fighters for Injustice 2
>Here's what I know regarding Smash Bros Ultimate. Take it with a grain of salt:
> Simon Belmont is definitely in the game. Nintendo will be revealing him in a future direct leading up to the Dec. 7th release.
> Minecraft will be receiving representation in some form. Also held off for a future direct.
>There will be an unexpected character that absolutely nobody will see coming much like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt in the previous Smash Bros game for 3DS/Wii U
>Ultimate much like Smash Bros for 3DS remembers the last alt costume you used the next time you play.
>Young Link's final smash has him turn into Fierce Deity Link. It functions much like how Wario's Final Smash now functions.
>DLC isn't being considered at the moment, but may be a possibility after the games been out for a while.
Smashley?

Classic mode being like it was on Wii U breaks my spirits.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Smashley?

Classic mode being like it was on Wii U breaks my spirits.
I don't understand why everyone s***s on Wii U classic mode. I liked it perfectly fine.

I remember playing it with my friend when the game came out and it was hype AF when a Peach got blown the f*** out by Metal Peach. That will always be one of my best Smash Bros. memories.

What about Cryogonal? It's flat and works with the ice theme of Avalugg.
Magnezone and three Magnemite or bust.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Dixie as an Echo would not be able to perform anything from her debut that set her apart from Diddy, or even control like she does in comparison to Diddy in the game since they'd be sharing all the basic attributes here.
And with all the attention to detail Sakurai has given both DK and Diddy when it came to their DKC roots, making Dixie for all intents and purposes a Diddy skin with some tweaked animations is rather egregious.
I ain't saying it's ideal, but I am saying I'd accept it. At this point I'd take Dixie Kong as a Captain Falcon clone.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't understand why everyone s***s on Wii U classic mode. I liked it perfectly fine.

I remember playing it with my friend when the game came out and it was hype AF when a Peach got blown the f*** out by Metal Peach. That will always be one of my best Smash Bros. memories.

Magnezone and three Magnemite or bust.
It was better when it felt like you were invading a game world... fought star fox characters on a star fox stage etc.
Just kept progressing through dominating game world after game world.

Wii U was just a random mess of anything goes with no structure.

Shroob

Sup?

4chan thread about it

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE
>Vergeben here.

Vergeben confirms that this isn't him.
Of all the Assist Trophies that could be upgraded to playable, Ashley would be one that I'd really want.

I know WarioWare isn't a major series, but goddamn Ashley is a hella popular character in Japan..........for fairly obvious reasons.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ashley is probably a newer design of the character, so I could see them doing merch for the new warioware gold title coming next month.
Would be interesting if she became playable though

Shroob

Sup?
Granted, I still think she'll be an Assist Trophy.

WarioWare getting a 2nd character over other series would be pretty odd in my eyes, especially since Ashley would more likely than not be in solely due to Japanese fan demand.

......that, and she was an Assist Trophy in 4, so for all we know, she could potentially still be one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But hey, if Mac can get a promotion, there's hope.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Granted, I still think she'll be an Assist Trophy.

WarioWare getting a 2nd character over other series would be pretty odd in my eyes, especially since Ashley would more likely than not be in solely due to Japanese fan demand.

......that, and she was an Assist Trophy in 4, so for all we know, she could potentially still be one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Series representation isn't really the point. Metroid had 2 characters for forever, and Kid Icarus has 3 even though they've had one game in 20 years. If Ashley is playable, it's because Sakurai felt like she'd be fun and that she's significant enough as herself to be playable. She wouldn't be getting in because Warioware needs more representatives, and that really goes for any character. Elma wouldn't be because Xenoblade needs more representatives, and Bowser Jr. didn't get in because Mario needed more representatives.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'm pretty sure Roy's sound effects were just the punch/kick sounds rather than the sword sounds.
I'm fairly certain that Roy's standard hit sfx in Smash 4 were not present on any other character. They also don't sound like punches at all tbh. His sword swing and hit both had very distinct sounds. And they felt really good. In Ultimate, his sword sounds really generic. It kinda sounds like Smash 4 Ike's sword tbh.

Shroob

Sup?
Series representation isn't really the point. Metroid had 2 characters for forever, and Kid Icarus has 3 even though they've had one game in 20 years. If Ashley is playable, it's because Sakurai felt like she'd be fun and that she's significant enough as herself to be playable. She wouldn't be getting in because Warioware needs more representatives, and that really goes for any character. Elma wouldn't be because Xenoblade needs more representatives, and Bowser Jr. didn't get in because Mario needed more representatives.
The thing I think though is that Ashley isn't any more important than any non-Wario WarioWare character, so if she did get de-AT'd and made playable, she'd get in through fan-demand exclusively.

There aren't a lot of characters in Smash that aren't key players in their franchise, that's why you don't see characters like Tingle, Skull Kid or Midna for Zelda(For now at least).

Ashley is hella popular in Japan, but if she gets in, it'll be more due to "Eastern fan demand" I feel.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I ain't saying it's ideal, but I am saying I'd accept it. At this point I'd take Dixie Kong as a Captain Falcon clone.
I'm also Ok of receiving Dixie as a Echo if K.Rool is playable.
At least echo characters receive their unique taunts. I may still play that guitar riff,even if after some not-hype Diddy stuff.

About Ashley:
I don' want Ashkey but I don't dislike her either. Buuut... if she makes in, we must receive a move where you turn your oponent into a spoon.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
You guys are taking the concept of echo character way too far. Now that the word "clone" has a cute euphemism you jump right into thinking "who will be the next echo fighter? Oh my! X could be an echo!" Didn't you hate clones back in 2014? Said Lucina and Dark Pit were lazy and "slot thieves?" The theme was bring back everyone, which unfortunately means Lucina and Dark Pit. Sakurai and the Smash team read all of your hate spam back in 2014-2015, so he gave it the brand to soften the backlash. Lucina and Dark Pit still look like they were coded in 2 minutes and not playtested at all. And you want MORE of this characters coded in 2 minutes? Make up your mind.

Also "slots." There is no such thing as slots nor slot thieves. The CSS portraits adjust in size as you unlock characters. The game could have 87 characters and still be organized.
1529288677921-502460926.jpg

Even the 3DS that has "limited slot space" found a way around it.

Also "rep." Smash Bros is not a senate, it is a fighting game. If no Pokemon is interesting enough to include for Sakurai then we won't have one, it is not an obligation they add one for Gen 7 because we gotta shoehorn a Pokemon. Same goes for the other series. Sometimes monetary circumstances sorround a character (hi Corn) but it is not Sakurai's obligation to include "new reps" for series. Like the comment I made about Zelda. If no one seems interesting enough there is no reason to bother because "lol Zelda."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Being so desperate for a character to take them as a clone is pretty depressing, to me anyway. If I had the choice, I'd rather wait and suffer until they could get the respect they deserve, not some shallow copy/paste. Maybe Sakurai thinks in the same light? I can't decipher that madman. :grin:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I personally don't find any shame in getting your character in as a clone. They got in. The foot is in the door for them and now? They have the potential to grow as a fighter in later games.

Just because they're an echo fighter or clone character doesn't mean they always WILL be.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just because they're an echo fighter or clone character doesn't mean they always WILL be.
:ganondorfmelee: Quite a :ganondorf: heavy claim :4ganondorf: that is.

They coined the term Echo because they're literally just clones of the character with ever so slight subtle differences. It's clear they keep their intentions to just be only clones.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You guys are taking the concept of echo character way too far. Now that the word "clone" has a cute euphemism you jump right into thinking "who will be the next echo fighter? Oh my! X could be an echo!" Didn't you hate clones back in 2014? Said Lucina and Dark Pit were lazy and "slot thieves?" The theme was bring back everyone, which unfortunately means Lucina and Dark Pit. Sakurai and the Smash team read all of your hate spam back in 2014-2015, so he gave it the brand to soften the backlash. Lucina and Dark Pit still look like they were coded in 2 minutes and not playtested at all. And you want MORE of this characters coded in 2 minutes? Make up your mind.

Also "slots." There is no such thing as slots nor slot thieves. The CSS portraits adjust in size as you unlock characters. The game could have 87 characters and still be organized.
View attachment 148790

Also "rep." Smash Bros is not a senate, it is a fighting game. If no Pokemon is interesting enough to include for Sakurai then we won't have one, it is not an obligation they add one for Gen 7 because we gotta shoehorn a Pokemon. Same goes for the other series. Sometimes monetary circumstances sorround a character (hi Corn) but it is not Sakurai's obligation to include "new reps" for series. Like the comment I made about Zelda. If no one seems interesting enough there is no reason to bother because "lol Zelda."
Every character returned, now no-one cares if there are clones because "Every character is here", so they can't say "Well, Lucina got in but Mewtwo didn't?!"

etc.

People hate clones when there's a notion that a clone got work over a character that they like didn't, now that everyone's back, and every character from here on out will be new, there's really no reason to hate.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I personally don't find any shame in getting your character in as a clone. They got in. The foot is in the door for them and now? They have the potential to grow as a fighter in later games.

Unless the character you desperately want can never be more than a clone of another character...

*cough*Boshi*cough*

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Ah, yeah, that's true.

http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/shuno_sakurai This is the more specific interview, where it's a translation of. Google Translate isn't great, but it conveys the same message. PushDustIn PushDustIn Could you help translate this particular article for everyone?

Just found that, heh. I made sure to look at the original.

Yeah, the mech part is clearly irrelevant, as he cared about the rifle. This doesn't mean it was meant to be for Inkling, though.
It was done ages ago.

Here it is.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm also Ok of receiving Dixie as a Echo if K.Rool is playable.
I don’t want King K. Rool at the expense of an unique Dixie Kong.

I want an unique Dixie Kong. I want Dixie to spin with her hair, whip enemies with her hair, float with her hair, grab and throw enemies with her hair.

I don’t want a Diddy echo who acts like Dixie via taunts and idle animations.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

View attachment 148790

This dude knows what's up.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Goddammit.

Don't know what this means for Simon in Smash (I will ask him about that), but it means that the Castlevania series is still in limbo.
I'm in the minority saying this, but I always thought the Simon part of the leak was fake. The Minecraft part is apparently from a different source which also told him about Jump Force and combined with the fact that we know Sakurai has played Minecraft, I'm going to buy into the Minecraft content part of the Vergeben leak.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm in the minority saying this, but I always thought the Simon part of the leak was fake. The Minecraft part is apparently from a different source which also told him about Jump Force and combined with the fact that we know Sakurai has played Minecraft, I'm going to buy into the Minecraft content part of the Vergeben leak.
I don't like to believe any leakers that just say things from "sources". I have no qualms with Steve or the Joestars Belmonts, but I like to see cold hard proof like the ESRB 3DS leak. :upsidedown:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

View attachment 148790

The real question is whether there's any modern Pokemon that fit the bill to what he's looking for? Is there already enough Pokemon in the roster, or will get get one of the popular ones that are heavily marketed for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (presumably) like Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Mimikyu. I'm looking at the Rate Their Chances thread and it's a hotly debated topic of which of those three Pokemon is likely, if we get a new Pokemon at all. The truth is, no one outside of a limited circle know for sure yet what Sakurai's going to decide, all we can do is hope our educated guesses are on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom