• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not looking forward to a playable Shadow as every week I play Smash and one of my friends is a dumb Sonic main who I hate dealing with so if I tell him to stop using Sonic he'd go "Ok" and switch to Shadow
I'm secretly hoping for Jeanne as an Echo fighter because of my friends who go ''God get off Bayonetta." Now? I just go to Rosalina.

But if Jeanne was in the game. It's over for them and they'd hate me.

D

Deleted member

I don't think I shared it in this thread, but I took the liberty of organizing the CSS based on the new numbering scheme. I don't hate it as much as I expected to. I kind of love the original 12 getting put all on one row.
The fact fighters are not organized by their series anymore triggers my OCD.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't think I shared it in this thread, but I took the liberty of organizing the CSS based on the new numbering scheme. I don't hate it as much as I expected to. I kind of love the original 12 getting put all on one row.
inb4 Sakurai and/or Nintendo decides to give Samus an Echo Fighter and moves Yoshi down 2 rows...

It's the Nintendo way

Shroob

Sup?
If I may say:

The top row looks good, but everything under it is a cluster you-know-what due to the Echoes being forced to be next to their originals, and especially it gets messy around the DLC to Smash Ultimate Part.

But that's just my opinion.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only ordering I'd accept other than by series is the roster being completed by the game they were included in.

So everyone from 64, then everyone from Melee, then every from Brawl, and everyone from Smash Wii U/3DS, and finally Ultimate's additions.

Including Echo Fighters. So Lucina and Dark Pit would be with the Wii U roster and Daisy with the Ultimate roster.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I always thought Corneria was supposed to be the remade version of Sector Z, since they're effectively the same stage, just Corneria is smaller.

But hell, if we can have :younglinkmelee: and :4tlink: together, may as well.
Size matters

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we've seen 30. Gamexplain lumped Xerneas into their video for some reason, and Xerneas is a Pokeball Pokemon. The true number is around 28-29 that we've seen.
I just watched that video, and they didn't lump Xerneas into the number of AT's. They simply summoned a Xerneas at the same time as they summoned Ghirahim, which is who they were discussing at that point in the video.

The true number is either 29 or 30, depending on what the heck that Earthbound Mushroom thing is.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I quite dislike the echoes being right next to their originals, I'd prefer them going where they belong chronologically, but I wanted a good look at what the exact order might be. It works right up until Dark Samus makes the cut and poor Jiggles gets shoved to row 2, lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not looking forward to a playable Shadow as every week I play Smash and one of my friends is a dumb Sonic main who I hate dealing with so if I tell him to stop using Sonic he'd go "Ok" and switch to Shadow
I'll admit, that's something that gets on my nerves with clones. I'm a Rosalina main who hates fighting against Marth, so imagine how thrilled I was when Lucina and Roy got added and my cousin decides to pick them both up.

...It's not terrible, but it still looks weird.

Plus, it's a total injustice to put Inklings and Ridley behind seven third-party characters.

Shroob

Sup?
The biggest problem is we've had 4(5) games where series are (mostly) organized to be together, so this new numbering method makes the CSS look completely dissholved.

It was always easy to find who you wanted to play as in the past since you knew that characters were organized by series, but this numbering method makes it a chore to find a certain character.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The biggest problem is we've had 4(5) games where series are (mostly) organized to be together, so this new numbering method makes the CSS look completely dissholved.

It was always easy to find who you wanted to play as in the past since you knew that characters were organized by series, but this numbering method makes it a chore to find a certain character.
It's not too bad for longtime fans. If you know who's from 64, Melee, etc. you can work your way through easily.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Like other people have been saying, it would be nice if there was an option to switch between series order and numbered order.

I made a thread almost a month ago involving what the CSS might be like. There were some interesting ideas, but nobody speculated that they would order it by entry into Smash

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Here's the upside to organizing it this way. Future DLC doesn't ruin it by getting stuck on to the end. Because that's where they belong anyway.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I don’t know if the new numbering scheme will affect the roster. Even the official site allows you to organize based on series as well.

What it may do is give an order to attack all-star if it’s not randomized.

Shroob

Sup?
It's not too bad for longtime fans. If you know who's from 64, Melee, etc. you can work your way through easily.
Sure, but you can't deny it looks really, really weird with everyone split up like that.

Every CSS before it was organized for an ease of instantly snapping to where the character that you wanted was. Now you have to take a moment to find the Brawl section, for example if you want to play Ike instead of just looking for the mostly Blue-Haired part of the roster.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I just enjoy the insider information. It shows us that Peach was the 13th fighter, the first confirmed for Melee. Then Bowser. This makes sense, as both were planned for 64. Sheik is 16 and Zelda is 17.Sheik was planned and revealed first, and later, Zelda was tied On

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
I don't see why Knuckles being an Assist Trophy has anything to do with Shadow being unable to be one.

Knuckles isn't using Chaos Control, he function completely differently than Shadow does.

Although it hasn't been done yet, 3rd Parties are allowed to have multiple Assist Trophies.

And no, no one at E3 was able to summon Waluigi afaik, which just proves that not all Assist Trophies were present in that build.
Why would there be two assist trophies for a 3rd party, now you just sound silly.

Shroob

Sup?
Why would there be two assist trophies for a 3rd party, now you just sound silly.
Why wouldn't there be? Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it's impossible.

We have two Capcom characters on the roster, and if the leak is true, we'll have two Konami characters as well, so how is 2 Sega assist trophies outlandish by any stretch of the imagination?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Like other people have been saying, it would be nice if there was an option to switch between series order and numbered order.

I made a thread almost a month ago involving what the CSS might be like. There were some interesting ideas, but nobody speculated that they would order it by entry into Smash
AHEM!

Based on Smash seniority!

Original 8
The 4 unlockables
Melee newcomers sorted by priority
Brawl newcomers sorted by reveal order
Smash 4 newcomers sorted by reveal order

It would be a mess for most but I like it.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
On Gamefaqs, there is a thread that says that there was a cut when Waluigi was summoned (During the presentation/trailer, I think?)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76719392

The creator is using a professional program, and while watching the presentation/trailer, he noticed there was a cut when Waluigi was summoned. I know he's a assist trophy, and I know that it should be taken with a grain of salt, but the cut there might mean that he is actually playable, or that perhaps Sakurai originally wanted him playable.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Here's my roster prediction. I think every newcomer will be highly requested characters

Wii U-3DS Roster.png

D

Deleted member

Here's a better question... if there can't be two Assist Trophues for a 3rd party, why would there be a second playable character? Considering the discussion is about Shadow's AT being absent possibly indicating at him being promoted to a playable character (Echo or otherwise), I figured this question would be relevant to this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
Remember, there's always the chance that they just remove an AT... and it doesn't mean anything.

My boy Isaac...

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Remember, there's always the chance that they just remove an AT... and it doesn't mean anything.

My boy Isaac...
Speaking of assist trophies, there is a topic here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76719392
Apparentely, the creator of this topic found a cut while using a program to watch the video, and the cut happens when Waluigi gets summoned. Perhaps he's not really an assist trophy but an playable character, or perhaps he was originally to be playable?

As in, at the point where there's Waluigi, there seemed to be a cut, as if that part was edited.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Speaking of assist trophies, there is a topic here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76719392
Apparentely, the creator of this topic found a cut while using a program to watch the video, and the cut happens when Waluigi gets summoned. Perhaps he's not really an assist trophy but an playable character, or perhaps he was originally to be playable?

As in, at the point where there's Waluigi, there seemed to be a cut, as if that part was edited.
No stop, Waluigi is dead. Accept it. Remember when in Smash 4 when Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere was a "cloud"? Look how that turned out for him.

Last edited:

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Why wouldn't there be? Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it's impossible.

We have two Capcom characters on the roster, and if the leak is true, we'll have two Konami characters as well, so how is 2 Sega assist trophies outlandish by any stretch of the imagination?
But we already have to Sega assist trophies.

Plus why would Sonic get two while others get only one?

What says there can’t be two ATs for a third party?
The fact that for the last two games we only gotten one for each 3rd party character.

Here's a better question... if there can't be two Assist Trophues for a 3rd party, why would there be a second playable character? Considering the discussion is about Shadow's AT being absent possibly indicating at him being promoted to a playable character (Echo or otherwise), I figured this question would be relevant to this discussion.
Echo Fighters are easy to make and there's no rule saying that a thrid party can't have an Echo, for all we know Ryu might get one in the form of Ken or Dan.

D

Deleted member

First off, don't spam.
Second, I wouldn't put too much stock in that.
I've already moved way past the second stage of grief.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
On Gamefaqs, there is a thread that says that there was a cut when Waluigi was summoned (During the presentation/trailer, I think?)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76719392

The creator is using a professional program, and while watching the presentation/trailer, he noticed there was a cut when Waluigi was summoned. I know he's a assist trophy, and I know that it should be taken with a grain of salt, but the cut there might mean that he is actually playable, or that perhaps Sakurai originally wanted him playable.

In other news, Ridley's shadow appears to be grabbing Pikachu. If that's the case, he's actually a playable character and not a stage boss.

Seriously my dude, stop reading so much into this. Sakurai is a jokester, but he's never falsely advertised a character like this. If Waluigi is being shown off as an AT, then it probably means he's an AT and nothing else.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But we already have to Sega assist trophies.

Plus why would Sonic get two while others get only one?

The fact that for the last two games we only gotten one for each 3rd party character.

Echo Fighters are easy to make and there's no rule saying that a thrid party can't have an Echo, for all we know Ryu might get one in the form of Ken or Dan.
Smash 4 was the first game to have two 3rd party characters from the same company on the roster at once.

Are you seriously valuing an Assist Trophy over an actual playable character?

Why does Capcom get two PLAYABLE characters over the rest?

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
No stop, Waluigi is dead. Accept it. Remember when Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere was a "cloud"? Look how that turned for him.
I'm not hoping for him, and I never liked hoping for Waluigi in the first place, But the fact that part was edit sounds strange. If you'd read the whole topic I think you'd understand, but I apologize for the spam message anyways.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Isaac, K. Rool, Geno, Dixie...

This is a good list. I still think Elma will be on it (‘cause of the mech gun), but let’s hope these newcomers make it in.
No sign of her in Xenoblade 2 dlc, just Shulk and Fiora. It kind of hurts her chances.

D

Deleted member

Right.
Now point me to where Sakurai said "there can only be one Assist Trophy per third party series".

Shroob

Sup?
No sign of her in Xenoblade 2 dlc, just Shulk and Fiora. It kind of hurts her chances.
I'm not sure how that hurts her at all.

The fact is that Rex and Phyrra are hella new, while Elma's game was in development(and released), during Ultimate's main workload stage.

I don't even like Elma, but even I have to admit that gives her a huge edge over Rex and Phyrra.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You'll all get used to the new CSS. If you know where a character debuted you'll know which area they're situated in.

I've always wanted it that way so I am beaming.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Her game was at the perfect time, and I can’t think of anyone else that Vifam mech could reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom