• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Hm, yeah. I saw that, but...I wasn't sure if that was intentionally made specific on Tanabe's part, or if it was the translation.

However, after looking into it, I think Tanabe is fluent in English, sooooo...that's probably pretty darn intentional lol.

...I haven't confirmed that, though, if anyone knows better than me.
Sylux’s Smash trophy uses it instead of he, so they’re certainly ambiguous

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm aware but those aren't usually universally accepted iirc. Wait it's still June so....

SYLUX IS NON BINARY AND THEY ARE VALID
Gender pronouns are confusing. But I wonder, do we have any characters who don't have a gender? Like, does R.O.B. only a "he" by localization?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Alright, considering Vergeben is right once again about at least 6 more characters to be revealed, this is my bet:

-A pokemon from Alola
-King K.Rool
-Dixie Kong
-Funky Kong as Donkey's Echo figher.
-Simon Belmont
-Elma
-Rayman
-Someone from Rhythm Heaven

DLC: Banjo, Someone from ARMS, someone from Xenoblades 2, any of the above options.

I was thinking about adding Isabelle as an echo fighter or Ashley from Wario Ware, but I think they are staying ATs. Just because they weren't shown in any video doesn't mean they are no longer there, keep in mind there are above 50 ATs.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So I noticed the Smash Blog on the official site has a Character of the Day. If they showcase one character every day that means they will run out of characters at some point right? Which means they will HAVE to show someone new after all the old characters are shown. The Character of the Day could be a countdown to a new reveal!
Someone earlier mentioned they could do something similar to the dog days, where they would have multiple character pages usually dedicated to other things like moves and final smashes. Especially since these aren't very detailed updates I could see us getting another one on how Daisy differs from Peach or some specifics on Ridley & Inkling moves.

Basically there's no reason they can't reuse characters to get more in depth. I'm just glad so far these are all informative posts rather than just here's a pretty/funny picture.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I really hope that Kraid is added to SSB Ultimate. Metroid needs more reps, and Kraid would be perfect. It's an absolute sin that he's only a stage hazard, and he'd fit perfectly as a fighter instead. People say that he's to big, but that's a silly excuse. He can just be down-sized.
Anthony >

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
People who expect more than 8 remaining newcomers are too optimistic imo.
We got snake, new moveset wolf, ivysaur, squirtle, redesigned ganon, redesigned zelda, Pichu, young pink, and ice climbers. That’s at least 4 newcomers of effort in my opinion, with most having unique movesets.
wolf still has the same moveset

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Meh. I'd prefer one of the hunters as a new Metroid rep like Sylux or [bootleg Glacius from Killer Instinct].
Sylux is pretty cool. But what about Weavil? He's bootleg Fulgore and that's sick as hell.

I don't think the Hunters are super likely or anything, but they ARE cool. I hope more than Sylux gets the chance to show up in other games.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sylux is pretty cool. But what about Weavil? He's bootleg Fulgore and that's sick as hell.

I don't think the Hunters are super likely or anything, but they ARE cool. I hope more than Sylux gets the chance to show up in other games.
People are all about "muh unique" and stuff, and we don't have any "unique" Ice-based characters like Rundas that isn't the Ice Climbers but they aren't a fully utilized ice type of moveset if that makes sense?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Even though I am disappointed that Toad and Meowth still aren’t playable fighters in Smash Ultimate, today I went to my local GameStop and pre-ordered it. I also bought Kirby Star Allies and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Edition while I was there. Oh, and I also bought an Alolan Meowth in a Great Ball for less than $6 at Toys R Us.

I was always going to buy Smash no matter what happens with the roster. I guess I will have my Duck Hunt Dog get me through this. I still can’t believe Duck Hunt Dog actually got in... so I guess I know how Ridley and/or Daisy fans are feeling right now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Guys, we just got Ridley. Let's savor his inclusion in Smash before we go back to Sakurai and whine for more Metroid reps.
you're right, we should complain about how Super Macho Man and Doc Louis aren't in Smash yet.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
People are all about "muh unique" and stuff, and we don't have any "unique" Ice-based characters like Rundas that isn't the Ice Climbers but they aren't a fully utilized ice type of moveset if that makes sense?
Fully utilized ice moveset: Every special and smash freezes, then you wait to be killed until you are 300%
Dunno, sounds like fighting against Ice Climbers to me

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I was always going to buy Smash no matter what happens with the roster. I guess I will have my Duck Hunt Dog get me through this. I still can’t believe Duck Hunt Dog actually got in... so I guess I know how Ridley and/or Daisy fans are feeling right now.
Did you see that Duck Hunt can potentially act out of his up/cancel it early with an action, sort of like Olimar's flying Pikmin? That's a great buff if it winds up being the case.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Guys, we just got Ridley. Let's savor his inclusion in Smash before we go back to Sakurai and whine for more Metroid reps.
I'm more than fine with Ridley, I'm talking about how the other Hunters being really cool looking dudes. Besides, this entry isn't getting many new characters, but it doesn't mean we can't think up of ideas for some "out-there" choices.

Sure. But Noxus(the ice dude) would only get like 3 or 4 ice moves from his one gun. I don't know who else could have the freezing gimmick though.

Cause I would think taking one Hunter, and then giving them all the weapons in the multiplayer mode would make up for all the specials/smashes/throws.

Sylux has the most potential with gimmicks of electric mines and health stealing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The clear solution for a third Metroid rep is the Federation Force soldier. :p

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Characters aside, I'd still be pretty happy if we got either Phendrana Drifts or Planet Aether from Prime 2. If I had to be more specific about the Metroid Prime 2 stage, Sanctuary Fortress is really unique looking not just for Smash but Metroid in general.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
ALSO can someone explain why Shiek comes before Zelda? That one just doesn't make sense to me and will bother me forever if this is the CSS we get :/
I think it’s because Sakurai added Sheik first and then decided to give her a transformation move and that’s why Zelda came in second.

Probably explains why Sheik is always better than Zelda in Smash... Sakurai saw Sheik as a ninja so he gave her ninja moves and then had to make up something for Zelda.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Sylux has the most potential with gimmicks of electric mines and health stealing.
If gimmicks = potential, then let me remind you:
Nintendo Power March '06 said:
"A former Space Pirate severely wounded by Samus in a scuffle on Brinstar, Weavel will remain associated with the Pirates as long as it's convenient. As a result of the injury Weavel sustained, the hunter can separate its torso from its lower body, which becomes a stationary turret."
HalfTurret.jpg

blackghost

Smash Champion
nintendo has successfully run the best rebranding campaign i've ever seen.
He already had a lot of explosives already.
snake had his mines taken away because in causal play ffa that cannot be fun to play.
almost everything about smash ultimate is about quality of life: presentation, characters, stages, movesets, animations. the smallest things have been refined. snake using a landmine that couldnt be seen easily in FFA just is annoying. i know its the main reason i hated him as a kid.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it’s because Sakurai added Sheik first and then decided to give her a transformation move and that’s why Zelda came in second.

Probably explains why Sheik is always better than Zelda in Smash... Sakurai saw Sheik as a ninja so he gave her ninja moves and then had to make up something for Zelda.
Wait, do you have a source for this?

I know that the transformation bit was essential to having both characters added, but Sheik got added first? I get her being shown off first explains the number, but wait, what?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
*Sakurai adds Ridley* "Thanks, Sakurai!"

*Sakurai adds Kraid* "METROID BIAS!"

i'm aware this is a total joke but it needs to be said:

Ridley being "to big" was a meme after sakurai said thats why he couldnt include him, yes ridley is big but... ya know what im not gonna get into that we are past that now... point being ridley being large isnt exactly his defining trait.

Now kraid on the other hand legitimately has a "fake" kraid thats tiny in super metroid to trick you right before you fight the real kraid and hes bigger than your tv screen. his whole gimmick IS how gigantic he is, this was huge in the snes days to have a sprite bigger than the screen it was a mind blowing visual at the time. he was small in the nes game but legit his claim to fame was being this gigantic sprite in super metroid so it would legitimately go against a defining part of the character.

ok wow i need to stop cause i know where this "shrink the character to fit them in smash" conversation goes haha. im happy ridley made it and i dont want to be on the opposite side of the table with kraid lets leave it at that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom