• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Then I suppose this tickles your fancy? You might want to ignore Simon though, that was something my friend Alex13art did due to his likeness to be included
I thInk this looks fine. I actually prefer the ordering like this instead of by series. Its hard to explain why, but I think it relates to significance. Characters from series with a lot of reps seem less important when they're all clumped together with their peers. Almost makes us lose sight of the value that their inclusion once had. Putting them in order of introduction reminds us a bit more of the impact they had on release, and gives an impression how far we've come since. The characters feel more significant on their own merits when ordered like this, instead of being there because thats where Mario or Link is. Hard to explain but the roster feels...larger, and more important like this.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Several people have pointed out that one of the few stages we haven't seen yet is :pirateship:

Could there be another Pirate Ship on the horizon...? Or is it even being saved in case K.Rool pulls a Ridley and gets one of his most famous alternate looks as an alt costume...?
That looks like the wind waker pirate ship stage:
StagePirateShip.jpg

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been think about Octolings critically lately. As of right now, I do believe Octolings have a 50/50 shot of getting in. Their fan-popularity within Splatoon 1 could get them in as echo fighters. But, I would not be surprised if they ended up being unlockable alternate costumes and that every echo character is purely based on the ballot popularity. We will have to see what happens.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
That looks like the wind waker pirate ship stage:
View attachment 148483
It is, and it's one of the few stages that we haven't seen for Smash Ultimate yet. SmashWiki has 79 returning stages so far, but there are only a couple which are still missing. Pirate Ship did come back for Sm4sh, so I don't know if it'd be cut - especially since that's Tink's only real stage that matches his design.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
How do you guys feel about Tingle?

I only bring him up because he's missing as an Assist Trophy and missing from all shots of Great Bay, INCLUDING the shot of Melee's Great Bay.

And while it's entirely possible to "kill" Tingle in Melee via popping him over water, why would they do such a niche thing every single shot of the stage? It appears quite a lot in the trailer and Tingle is missing in every one of them.

Tingle recently appeared in Hyrule Warriors, first as DLC, and then as a regular character in the ports. They were hesitant to add him due to backlash against him before, but he was welcomed into Hyrule Warriors with no fuss, so the hate against him seems to have cooled since the early 2000s.
No, please no...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The embargo actually lifts Wednesday.

Two Castlevania games are rumored at the moment. A new game, and a compilation, both multiplatform. I guess we'll see.
Really? Well at least we have a deadline... Ok I'm going with, if it's not Castlevania games then Simon is probably not it, or more likely he could be in but Vergeben's sources were inncorrect.

I'll definitely be taking him off my prediction roster though.

ALSO can someone explain why Shiek comes before Zelda? That one just doesn't make sense to me and will bother me forever if this is the CSS we get :/

Last edited:

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
I really hope Tingle doesn't get in as a playable character. I don't even hate the guy, but I don't want him in Smash, either.

It's possible that his Assist Trophy hasn't been completed yet or just isn't in the E3 build of the game. We can say the same about many other missing ATs for the time being.
Yea, but why isn't he in any footage of Great Bay? He was kinda a big part of that stage as one of it's few gimmicks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
1 meta ridley might not be in the demo but ridley still has an impressiv amount of colours, his meta form might be like marios wedding and builder outfit, so yeah, not neccesary a reason to assume that since i believe samus has it straight replaced
2 this IS the black phazon suit from prime 1, its just not the REAL version since this suit is based on other m, and in general her palet swaps are fked up to some degree because of that
Phazon_Suit_rip.png
IMG_20180615_010820.jpg

Sorry, but no. The colours are wrong and the other suits match the colours of what it's supposed to reference. Fusion suit has a blue visor, dark suit has an orange visor, gravity has a blue visor and although Light is wrong, Light's visor is the same colour as the suit so the yellow is 'lighted up' to stop the design from blurring in with itself

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It is, and it's one of the few stages that we haven't seen for Smash Ultimate yet. SmashWiki has 79 returning stages so far, but there are only a couple which are still missing. Pirate Ship did come back for Sm4sh, so I don't know if it'd be cut - especially since that's Tink's only real stage that matches his design.
And its my favorite stage in Brawl and Smash4 along with Delfino and Luigis Mansion, so here's hoping.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Oh, boy, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. For anyone without prior knowledge of the series' newcomer order, this just looks disorganized.
Ordering by series but having it be by smash series introuction makes the most sense, it's just confusing to put them in by characters number introduction but knowing sakurai and the weird choice that was smash 4's roster I wouldn't put it past him

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash Ultimate has 18 female characters now counting alts and putting the two Zeldas and Samus forms together and leaving out:4jigglypuff:just in case
:4bayonetta::4corrinf::4lucina::4miif::4palutena::4peach:Daisy:4pikachu:(female one):4robinf::rosalina::4samus::4villagerf::4wiifit::4zelda::4wendy:Inkling:popo:(Nana):pt:(Female)

I only bring him up because he's missing as an Assist Trophy and missing from all shots of Great Bay, INCLUDING the shot of Melee's Great Bay.

And while it's entirely possible to "kill" Tingle in Melee via popping him over water, why would they do such a niche thing every single shot of the stage? It appears quite a lot in the trailer and Tingle is missing in every one of them.

Tingle recently appeared in Hyrule Warriors, first as DLC, and then as a regular character in the ports. They were hesitant to add him due to backlash against him before, but he was welcomed into Hyrule Warriors with no fuss, so the hate against him seems to have cooled since the early 2000s.
I forgot how awesome this stage looked
Is still very bizarre for me to live in a world where everyone talks about Ridley being in smash like is not a big deal.
Weird yet satisfying

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I really hope Tingle doesn't get in as a playable character. I don't even hate the guy, but I don't want him in Smash, either.

It's possible that his Assist Trophy hasn't been completed yet or just isn't in the E3 build of the game. We can say the same about many other missing ATs for the time being.
We can say the same thing about the other at's but it's notable that Ashley and Isabelle are extremely popular characters so you'd think they'd put them in the e3 build and let us see them early, and shadow and dark samus are heavily speculated to be echo fighters and are also popular, Sonic even got a new assist in knuckles.

Could be argued that tingle was instead just low priority but you'd think those guys would be there.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Really? Well at least we have a deadline... Ok I'm going with, if it's not Castlevania games then Simon is probably not it, or more likely he could be in but Vergeben's sources were inncorrect.

I'll definitely be taking him off my prediction roster though.

ALSO can someone explain why Shiek comes before Zelda? That one just doesn't make sense to me and will bother me forever if this is the CSS we get :/
tbh I kinda like that sheik comes first since her design matches link's while Zelda's doesn't

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yea, but why isn't he in any footage of Great Bay? He was kinda a big part of that stage as one of it's few gimmicks.
Could be a removed element altogether. Being an Assist or Playable Character could potentially warrant that.

Returning Stages aren't always 100% perfect recreations of the original. No way to tell for sure why he isn't here just yet.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The biggest difference between the direction of this game compared to every other sequel is that this is the first time Sakurai went out of his way to prioritize bringing back every single previously playable characters since even in Melee Ness was planned to be replaced. So this is something worth noting.

Also, recently, I've been slightly more positive on Geno's chance. I still don't really think he's likely now as much as I now actually think he may have a shot since stuff I thought improbable have already happened.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People said that going from boss to stage hazard was humiliating for Ridley, but going from assist trophy to just a stage feature is even worse because come on, Tingle isn't really a hazard.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unless you’re Temple
Speaking of Temple, I wish we get that unreleased version of the song from Melee, I liked the choir of it a lot more than what we actually got in the end.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking of Temple, I wish we get that unreleased version of the song from Melee, I liked the choir of it a lot more than what we actually got in the end.
Maybe they’ll add all three Temple songs in this game

D

Deleted member

Tingle's on my wish list, so I'm really hoping for him. I love stupid joke characters like Tingle and Waluigi, so getting at least of one 'em playable would be nice and make me pretty happy. :)

As far as his actual chances go, I honestly don't know. We don't know who all of the ATs are yet, so I honestly think we're just gonna have to sit tight until the inevitable Nov. Direct that'll focus on Smash and lay out what we can expect from the game after seeing the reveal at E3.

Speaking of that, what does everyone here think about the odds of getting Smash stuff in the next Direct? For me personally, I think news is gonna be pretty slim pickings until October/November. While I do think the next Direct will probably be around August/September, I don't really see the point in talking about Smash more until we're closer to release, especially when the release is actually pretty dang close (hard to believe we're already half-way through the year!) and we got a huge news blowout at E3.

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
I have been think about Octolings critically lately. As of right now, I do believe Octolings have a 50/50 shot of getting in. Their fan-popularity within Splatoon 1 could get them in as echo fighters. But, I would not be surprised if they ended up being unlockable alternate costumes and that every echo character is purely based on the ballot popularity. We will have to see what happens.
Here's the thing about Splatoon's playable Octolings: they were revealed in early 2018 and were just released this week. Even with concept art, that's way too recent to ever be considered for the base roster, which was likely decided in 2016. Splatoon 2 itself was too new to have any influence on the series' Smash representation, so I highly doubt we will see Splatoon 2 content - the Octolings - in the base roster. DLC is quite possible. Octolings within Splatoon 1 were a generic female-only enemy in the single-player campaign, and I can't really see them earning a spot in the roster based off of that.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I know this is a joke but I honestly didn't understand any of it.
These were things many people didn’t think was going to happen pre-E3. If it weren’t for the Vergeben leak people probably wouldn’t think of Ridley as a newcomer. People thought that Smash 5 was going to get cuts, and no one got cut.

Now people are analyzing something Sakurai said and low ball their expectations when it comes to newcomers. Now I can defenitley see there being less newcomers than last time, but to only get 5-7 newcomers for this game is pretty ridiculous. Sakurai is a hard working man, and would try to add as much content as possible, this goes for newcomers, so I expect something a little higher, like 10 more. Still less than normal but enough to statisfy fans. (12 newcomers).

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Here's the thing about Splatoon's playable Octolings: they were revealed in early 2018 and were just released this week. Even with concept art, that's way too recent to ever be considered for the base roster, which was likely decided in 2016. Splatoon 2 itself was too new to have any influence on the series' Smash representation, so I highly doubt we will see Splatoon 2 content - the Octolings - in the base roster. DLC is quite possible. Octolings within Splatoon 1 were a generic female-only enemy in the single-player campaign, and I can't really see them earning a spot in the roster based off of that.
Octolings have been around since the start of splatoon though and they've been planned to be playable for a long time, I could definitely see them communicating with splatoon's devs and gotten them in. I mean roy got in before his game came out so it's certainly possible

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The inclusion of Octolings as a last-minute clone addition wouldn't be any stranger than Roy in Melee. Keep in mind clones like Lucina and Dark Pit are easier to implement than even the clones in Melee.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Could be a removed element altogether. Being an Assist or Playable Character could potentially warrant that.

Returning Stages aren't always 100% perfect recreations of the original. No way to tell for sure why he isn't here just yet.
Didn't someone say they saw Knuckles in the Green Hill stage despite being an Assist Trophy now?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Octolings were extremely popular when Splatoon 1 released for Sakurai to consider them for Echo Fighter viability in the 2016 project plan. I doubt the Splatoon 2 Octoling DLC will have any effect on their inclusion.

Troykv

Smash Master

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Oh, boy, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. For anyone without prior knowledge of the series' newcomer order, this just looks disorganized.
Is this better? ;)
Ultimate.png

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
People who expect more than 8 remaining newcomers are too optimistic imo.
We got snake, new moveset wolf, ivysaur, squirtle, redesigned ganon, redesigned zelda, Pichu, young pink, and ice climbers. That’s at least 4 newcomers of effort in my opinion, with most having unique movesets.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Didn't someone say they saw Knuckles in the Green Hill stage despite being an Assist Trophy now?
Hm? Well, that's interesting.......

Dunno why he isn't showing up now in any form yet. Seems like he'd be fine appearing as either in that case. I still kinda doubt he's playable, too, but if he is, then I'll be disappointed. Not enough to ruin my excitement for this game (with all the kinds of characters we have gotten so far), but it'll be a let down regardless.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We got snake, new moveset wolf, ivysaur, squirtle, redesigned ganon, redesigned zelda, Pichu, young pink, and ice climbers. That’s at least 4 newcomers of effort in my opinion, with most having unique movesets.
I only had two people I really wanted, which was Snake back and Wah. I got one but lost the other, I'm pretty content and don't mind if there's more or less. :061: People are always going to be restless until there's new fresh characters, no matter where they come from. I played From Whom The Frog Bells Toll recently, it's a pretty fun game and I wouldn't mind seeing Sable come back as his own character. But since Sukapon and Takamaru got hit, I'm more to believe he's back at the assist ring.

D

Deleted member

I'm not too worried about the amount of newcomers mainly because I think DLC is gonna be pretty decent this go around. I honestly could see it be like Splatoon 2 with updates coming well after launch, especially if the game sells well.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Zelda and Ganondorf didn't even changed that much. Ike and Mr. Game & Watch also got a lot of visual changes. But I agree, too much work put into veterans.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not too worried about the amount of newcomers mainly because I think DLC is gonna be pretty decent this go around. I honestly could see it be like Splatoon 2 with updates coming well after launch, especially if the game sells well.
Subspace Emissary Part 2 as DLC

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

It’s probably because the stage hazards were turned off so Tingle didn’t show up on Great Bay.

But I hope we get Tingle as a playable character. He’s grown on me and I like the guy.

Maybe the original Tingle from Majora’s Mask might show up on Great Bay.

Maybe Toon Tingle from The Wind Waker still shows up as an Assist Trophy.

Maybe the Tingle from the Tingle spin-off games might get in as a playable fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom