• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whababa

Smash Cadet
So we all know wavedashing isnt in but this doesnt concern me tbh as we are able to cancel our dashes and skids, and though that might not encompass all applications of wavedashing I think its a good compromise cause this can define Ultimate and avoid it turning into melee 2.0 while still solving issues people had.

Perfect pivoting is also simplified by cancelling a turnaround skid, which I believe we are calling RGR now? Overall, Im pretty content though the launch physics are wonky but im sure thats because its not finished.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Characters I predict?

Ehh… Not so sure now. Even with a smaller list of newcomers, I'm still pretty confident we're getting a Zelda and Xenoblade newcomer, but I can't say for certain who that would be. I feel like Pokémon will get either Lycanroc, Mimikyu, or Incineroar, but now that we have nine Pokémon reps, I'm acknowledging the possibility of not getting anyone.
I'm honestly not to certain about a Zelda rep. Tingle would be an odd choice, (Unless they wanna appeal to home Market, i guess.) Midna was disconfirmed.
Skull Kids pretty old at this point. And i don't know who else it could be.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I think if they gave Waluigi attributes revolving around his engineering prowess from Mario Party 3, combined with elements pulled from the various sports games Waluigi has appeared in, it would suit his moveset perfectly. Throw in a spike with his feet.

Oh well.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I don't dislike clones besides ganondorf in melee (and thats just because it ruined him for the rest of the series) anymore because I grew to fully understand they are low effort and dont take away from anything unless a character with potential is made a clone

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly not to certain about a Zelda rep. Tingle would be an odd choice, (Unless they wanna appeal to home Market, i guess.) Midna was disconfirmed.
Skull Kids pretty old at this point. And i don't know who else it could be.
Pig ganon is the big one, trident, magic, tennis, teleports.

Next the other races, zora, gorons, rito, etc, the best bet was child link with masks.

The issue is there isn't a consistent character of a race that appears in multiple games, into Hyrule warriors (love princess Ruto in that)

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Looks like Bayonetta was bugged in the Smash Ultimate demo: (warning: strong language)
FREE JUMPS
That’s why Sakurai was frowning when he saw MKLeo do that combo. Bayo got FOUR jumps.

Forget buffed, the witch is actually broken.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I am happy all the characters from Smash 64 to SSB4 are in this game (yes really) but I just wish that the remaining characters I wanted would join in the fun with everyone and I am sure others feel the same way with their favorite remaining characters..

The theme of Smash Ultimate is "everyone is here" and yet not everyone I wanted are in the game... and not everyone other people wanted are in the game.

It stings for me and for them to see that our favorite characters are still not in Smash with everyone... especially when Smash Ultimate could potentially be the last Smash game.

At least long-time fans of Ridley and Daisy will finally have some fun with them battling with and against everyone in Smash.
Saying that the theme of "Everyone is Here!" Is flawed because everyone you and other people don't want is a flawed way of thinking.

That's not what that means. The point is that every previously playable Smash character is in this game. They made that clear. No need to look into it any more than that.

With the kind of expectations that the Smash fan base has, the kind of Smash game you're talking about will never come to fruition. Thinking that it will - or even could - is self destructive at best.
This is a question for everyone, does anyone actually love the echo concept?

You're not the first person to say this (sorry not picking on you, just the most recent person to say it) and I haven't seen a single person say they were excited about it. Most Daisy fans are dissapointed she's a clone, but happy she's at least in.

We're just discussing them because they are now part of speculation (and I don't mean clones are part of speculation, but these near identical clones with offical names now are). I guess I appreciate Sakurai being transparent with the concept, but I defintely don't love it. (Hell, once again one of the biggest conversations that comes up about echoes is Dixie and everyone HATES that idea).

Maybe I'm just missing where everyone is excited about them...
I definitely do. As somebody who hates the way Marth plays, getting Lucina was like getting a breath of fresh air in a familiar place.

I'm finally able to use Marth's moveset without hating it. And it feels really good. Dark Pit has always been harder for me to justify, since only three of his moves hold different attributes, so I'm hoping that he gets changed an it more in this installment so that he's more like Lucina.

On a minor level, DP's Electroshock Arm is more satisfying than Pit's Upperdash Arm, IMO. I hope that Daisy is differentiated from Peach enough that she feels more fun to play. I've never liked Peach's moveset, but Daisy might be able to be the gateway into her that gets me interested in it. Plus, Echoes don't take much effort as stated by Sakurai, so that means that they don't take up any other character's Dev time. Which means that I have no reason to be upset about them being included.

Iridium

Smash Hero

This is a nice example of where logic can unintentionally be thrown out the window.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, I'm not expecting something to be more hype inducing than Ridley; I'm just expecting anything xDU.

BTW, Which characters do you predict?
The only character I'd bet money on right now is Bandana Dee tbh, it just feels like something that is going to happen, he's got everything going for him, good thing cause he's freaking adorable and I want him as well

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm 80 percent sure of Geno, King K. Rool, Ashley, Isabelle, Elma (the action figure he bought is for her I'm betting).

Dixie Kong and Shadow will be echo fighters. If not Shadow as Sonic's Echo. It'll be Tails to be able to do the ''ultimate" showdown of Mario vs Sonic vs Luigi vs Tails.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
That’s why Sakurai was frowning when he saw MKLeo do that combo. Bayo got FOUR jumps.

Forget buffed, the witch is actually broken.
I'm grateful this is going to be fixed, and that this didn't make it to live. That would have been a catastrophe if it wasn't caught.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but today's fighter on the blog is Daisy, as some predicted. I didn't really expect Simon to be revealed today but I was a little hopeful. I wonder if they're actually going to go through with a fighter a day and what they are going to do when they run out.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
What's sheik's final smash?
I don't have the video on hand, but a Greninja like quick strike, with a glowing Sheikah eye in the background. Pretty neat and fits her way better than Light arrows.
I like the concept since it lets us have more characters that people want, Shadow for example would be cool and make perfect sense but it makes me nervous, characters like Dixie deserve better than being a glorified alternate costume and the idea of them possibly reducing her to that makes me sad as heck, and knowing she'd be stuck that way the rest of her life as a smash character would be even sadder
This, I hate how giving it a name traps characters to be this version forever, such as Dixie, or Lucina who I was hoping to get some changes to make her more of a mix between Marth and Ike. Of course I was chastising others for thinking about Smash 6 already so it's probably not something to worry about right now.

Also...I still don't see why Pokemon having 3 veterans added means we can't have a new one. Like if there's a new Pokemon Sakurai wants to add (which I bet there is) I doubt he would be like oh shucks I already added three veterans from past games, guess I can't add any new Pokemon this game. Unless there's been a time where that's why he didn't add a character, I don't see it happening.

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
The only character I'd bet money on right now is Bandana Dee tbh, it just feels like something that is going to happen, he's got everything going for him, good thing cause he's freaking adorable and I want him as well
The only character I’m 99% sure is getting in is Dark Samus.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
meanwhile, i'm over here feeling like the chosen prophet. no cuts and all of my newcomer predictions managed to survive the e3 massacre. really looking forward to this game..
Your signature didn't age well.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but today's fighter on the blog is Daisy, as some predicted. I didn't really expect Simon to be revealed today but I was a little hopeful. I wonder if they're actually going to go through with a fighter a day and what they are going to do when they run out.
Well, given that they only revealed a little about the character, I'm guessing that they'll repeat characters and reveal different things. For example, today they talked about Daisy's personality. Maybe next time she shows up, they'll talk about her moveset, or maybe her character origins or something. Given that they already have 68 characters to talk about, they'd only need to talk about each character 2-3 times in order to make it 6 months. And that's not even accounting for potential new characters that will be released along the way.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Dark Samus was such a cool assist trophy though. And her losing the abilities she had their by becoming an Echo Fighter would be lame.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Betting on: Bandana Dee, Mimikyu, Ashley.

I wanted Ice Climbers, Ridley, and Daisy. Come on Sakurai spoil me more.:chuckle:

EDIT: And Pichu! I was like yo actually they could make Pichu in Smash Switch and because of rage his silly gimmick might actually be decent! I'm spoiled af.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There was a game explain video where they spoke to Bill Trinen about that and he said "They had plans"...so idk what that means. But if they do 1 for every week day it could last till late August, early September and then maybe there will be a new direct with a new reveal? Probably not lol.

Also is anyone else having trouble looking at the Smash site on mobile? Especially the blog, I don't see any updates :/

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What if Plusle is an echo of Pichu, but Minun is an echo of Plusle, who is an echo of himself?
I dead now
But then Palutena points out that Chrom "doesn't even have an Aether recovery like Ike does". :V
Do you think Sakurai would make a liar out of his waifu goddess?
To make room for his waifu goddess and five sons...he’d never lie

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Betting on: Chrom, Elma, Bandana Dee, Chorus Kids, Rayman, DK Rep (either Dixie as an Echo or Semi-Clone or K. Rool, maybe both).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom