• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Since Ivysaur is in again.

Do we still need that precious grass starter rep?

Because that was half the reasoning I saw given for Decidueye.

I can also see this being why the Gen 7 rep if there is one will be Mimikyu.

It also gives Sakurai the chance to have three ''Pikachus" as well.

Shroob

Sup?
Mario got two new alt costumes to replace those colors, Mac got nerfed to 8 colors like everyone else and Ike got a new alt, like Mario, so he’s going to miss colors. Samus is closer to Mewtwo, DK or Ness. And guess what, none of them got new colors or any of their Smash 4 colors replaced. I don’t even think Fox did, and he even got a makeover!

There’s no reason to change Samus’ alt color. She didn’t get any new costumes or anything that would require the change. Her new color doesn’t reference anything, it’s just randomly a black and yellow suit replacing a costume that directly referenced a character from her series. Why change the color? What purpose would it serve to spend time creating a new color, when the previous one worked fine? Unless, for some reason, it suddenly did not work fine anymore.

3 is a pointless thing to say when we’re talking about clones. Neither of those would be clones.
Two of your arguments boil down to "This character would work as a clone" and "This character is popular", which, when it comes to Smash, are awful, awful points in favor, because Sakurai is frankly going to do what he wants. Ridley was popular since Melee, and it's only now that he gets into Smash through sheer fan demand.

And again, this is a DEMO, not the full game. We saw not even half of the assist trophies, and probably a fraction of the useable items. To jump the gun THIS much by saying "Oh, this Assist Trophy is missing, also this character got a color palette change" is just going a bit too far off the deep end for my brand of speculation, frankly.

If this were closer to the final build, I'd be more inclined to say "Sure, there's some merit here", but this demo didn't even have a fraction of the game's content in it.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
-Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
Despite what some might say they aren't interchangeable, semi-clones at worst but neither one can say be an echo of the other.

Springman

-Parry

- Rage (Lucario's rage system)

-Different base equipment

Ribbongirl

- High jumps

- Air dodges

- Different base equipment

So what you have are two vastly different approaches to the same concept.

-A ground-based damage sponge with a parry

and
-A flighty fighter with A LOT of range like more than Springman in terms of base equipment thanks to the Slapamander which is a whip hand guided by an already long arm.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I feel like the concept of Echo Fighters is their way to add characters into the game as playable that normally would not have made it, so they aren't last minute like Clones. They're technically the same thing but with a different mindset. I'm all for it. It may harm some characters who should be unique, but my way of seeing it is they wouldn't have been put in otherwise.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Despite what some might say they aren't interchangeable, semi-clones at worst but neither one can say be an echo of the other.

Springman

-Parry

- Rage (Lucario's rage system)

-Different base equipment

Ribbongirl

- High jumps

- Air dodges

- Different base equipment
Personally I’m more of an advocate for Ribbon Girl in Smash because her aerial focus in ARMS gives her a wildly different play style than our current boxing fighter has

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think some people are failing to recognize some things about Echo Fighters. Especially in regards to newfound support for characters.

These proposed Echo Fighters will have the exact same moveset as the character they are echoing, with a simple aesthetic change.

No Chaos Control for Shadow.

No three homing energy balls, or energy roots coming up from the ground for Dark Samus.

These Echo Fighter characters won’t have unique movesets, or even unique moves.

That’s the difference between Echo Fighters and Clones. Echo Fighters are a glorified alt costume, and Clones are a base with the potential for a few changes for moveset potential.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Has anyone brought up some of the new moves we've seen so far? Falco has a new rapid jab finisher, Ness has a new pummel and Up air, Sheik has a new pummel, Falcon has a new F Smash, Pikachu has a new nair, Tink has a new F Smash, Palutena has way faster tilts, Pac Man has a new up tilt and a faster grab, Ike has a new Up air, Samus grab is much quicker....I keep noticing all sorts of stuff. The animation tweaks are also really cool.

Since this is general discussion, move changes are fair game here right?
Looks like everything is quicker, specially aerials.

Like, Dedede and Ganondorf have very little landing lag in some videos.

Whababa

Smash Cadet
There’s no reason to change Samus’ alt color. She didn’t get any new costumes or anything that would require the change. Her new color doesn’t reference anything, it’s just randomly a black and yellow suit replacing a costume that directly referenced a character from her series. Why change the color? What purpose would it serve to spend time creating a new color, when the previous one worked fine? Unless, for some reason, it suddenly did not work fine anymore.

/QUOTE]
Has anyone brought up some of the new moves we've seen so far? Falco has a new rapid jab finisher, Ness has a new pummel and Up air, Sheik has a new pummel, Falcon has a new F Smash, Pikachu has a new nair, Tink has a new F Smash, Palutena has way faster tilts, Pac Man has a new up tilt and a faster grab, Ike has a new Up air, Samus grab is much quicker....I keep noticing all sorts of stuff. The animation tweaks are also really cool.

Since this is general discussion, move changes are fair game here right?
Little Mac doesnt go into freefall after his side special and his KO has a lot more vertical range, also im not sure if this is entirely true but his damage output seems slightly higher as well as his jumping ability.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
Two of your arguments boil down to "This character would work as a clone" and "This character is popular", which, when it comes to Smash, are awful, awful points in favor, because Sakurai is frankly going to do what he wants. Ridley was popular since Melee, and it's only now that he gets into Smash through sheer fan demand.

And again, this is a DEMO, not the full game. We saw not even half of the assist trophies, and probably a fraction of the useable items. To jump the gun THIS much by saying "Oh, this Assist Trophy is missing, also this character got a color palette change" is just going a bit too far off the deep end for my brand of speculation, frankly.

If this were closer to the final build, I'd be more inclined to say "Sure, there's some merit here", but this demo didn't even have a fraction of the game's content in it.
Why would they leave one specific alt of Samus’ that references one specific character that just a happens to work as a clone in a game that is highlighting clones with their own classification? Why would Samus Color #8 from Smash 4 not be in the demo, but DK, Mewtwo, Ness, Marth and Fox color #8 all be in the demo? And Samus color #8 doesn’t even reference anything from Metroid, so it’s not a case like Samus’ old brown skin being replaced with the Dark Suit.

That is an awful lot of coincidences. Coincidences that have happened before with Pit. Who had his black alt changed. Which was noticed in a demo of the game.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Decidueye was overall the most popular starter in Alola if the information I've seen is correct. He's also highly workable into the game due to his unique moves and design giving him an obvious set of specials and Final Smash. He's got a lot of unique potential and is also a fan favorite like Mimikyu, so if that was enough for Lucario and Greninja, it should be enough now. Just depends if Sakurai sees him the same way he saw those two.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Speaking of multiple Pikachu's.

I'm really surprised neither Pichu or Pikachu's fighter video has them standing side by side with the Alolan Raichu Pokeball.

Shroob

Sup?
Why would they leave one specific alt of Samus’ that references one specific character that just a happens to work as a clone in a game that is highlighting clones with their own classification? Why would Samus Color #8 from Smash 4 not be in the demo, but DK, Mewtwo, Ness, Marth and Fox color #8 all be in the demo? And Samus color #8 doesn’t even reference anything from Metroid, so it’s not a case like Samus’ old brown skin being replaced with the Dark Suit.

That is an awful lot of coincidences. Coincidences that have happened before with Pit. Who had his black alt changed. Which was noticed in a demo of the game.
Dunno.

I'm all for Dark Samus, but I'm not going to jump the gun over a demo build of the game.

A lot of **** can change in development, like how Chorus Kids were scrapped from Sm4sh, but Sneaky Spirit still appeared in Smash Run, which was still in the demo build.

If she gets revealed as an Echo, great. If she gets revealed as an Assist Trophy, I won't lose any sleep over it; it's too early to go all in on theories when we have a lot less info than we think we do regarding the characters and items.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Looks like everything is quicker, specially aerials.

Like, Dedede and Ganondorf have very little landing lag in some videos.
I've seen this too. Every single move seems sped up in a way, like everything auto cancels. Falco seems to have a faster blaster, dash attack and Phantasm too based on his trailer. He may be more viable this time.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I think some people are failing to recognize some things about Echo Fighters. Especially in regards to newfound support for characters.

These proposed Echo Fighters will have the exact same moveset as the character they are echoing, with a simple aesthetic change.

No three homing energy balls, or energy roots coming up from the ground for Dark Samus.

That’s the difference between Echo Fighters and Clones. Echo Fighters are a glorified alt costume, and Clones are a base with the potential for a few changes for moveset potential.
I think a lot of us do actually recognize that distinction, but we actually do want glorified alts for these characters. I mean, Dark Samus was literally an alt in Smash 4, what we’re saying is that with some minor changes to animations and attributes they could very easily be upgraded from that alt color status (obviously Sonic never had a Shadow Alt). Unlike, for instance, Alph, these characters are very different as people than their originals in terms of flair and style (and an argument could still be made for Alph as an Echo)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
For my fellow Mewtwo mains.

Is this instantaneous or am I dreaming?
It certainly looks a lot faster. Finally, Disable is a usable move! Bless the stars!
As for character's I'd bank on seeing in the roster, I'd be more than comfortable betting money on K. Rool, Geno and/or Bandanna Dee. The circumstances seem just right for the former two to get in, while the latter just has so much going for him that it's hard to imagine him missing out on the roster completely. Simon Belmont's close, but not quite a bet for me as the rationale I have for predicting him is based primarily on an as-of-yet unconfirmed leak.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

It's an event version of the game.
Not the final product.
Many variables exist for it not to be included.
One maybe it's on the low priority list for newcomers, once it's determined to be in or out for sure, they'll either add the character or the colors back in.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

I'm saying is if they do several more echo characters, those characters probably would not have been in the game in the first place. If a character you think is unique is an echo that's unfortunate, but I'd rather have them in in some way than not at all. They're the exact same thing as clones but with a different mindset. If there's a future game it also means they could be de-cloned if there's enough demand.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like the concept of Echo Fighters is their way to add characters into the game as playable that normally would not have made it, so they aren't last minute like Clones. They're technically the same thing but with a different mindset. I'm all for it. It may harm some characters who should be unique, but my way of seeing it is they wouldn't have been put in otherwise.
There's zero information towards when in development the echo fighters were added.

I think some people are failing to recognize some things about Echo Fighters.
Especially in regards to newfound support for characters.

Terminologically yes, but in reality Echo Fighters are just a subset of clone. They are the near-direct clone. Which is something that has been present in Smash on and off since the beginning.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/420503887

"Reveal 1: Picks up immediately where the last one completes. Samus divekicks towards Ridley but he grabs her and slams her against the ground. He drops her and prepares to impale her with his claw, but it's stopped by a whip. Reveal Simon. Tagline is, "Simon Belmont whips up a storm!"

Reveal 2: Pikachu fights other characters on a stage (I think it's the new Pokemon Stadium). Reveal Mimikyu hiding behind some stage terrain, watching the battle. He hears everyone cheering for Pikachu as it defeats its opponents. Pikachu walks by Mimikyu's hiding spot, he pulls him into the darkness, you hear some cartoon fighting, and then Mimikyu pops out. Reveal is first, "Pikachu shocks the competition!" before the music stops and "Mimikyu scares up some fun!" is slapped over it.

Reveal 3: I don't know much about how this one works out other than that my friend said that it features Ashley and Shadow, seemingly as friends. Comedic one that plays on them both being kind of dark and brooding.

Reveal 4: King K. Rool beating up DK, Diddy, and Ness. Funky Kong bi-plane fires at him, then Funky Kong surfs into battle and stands alongside his pals. Something along the lines of, "Funky Kong makes some waves!"

Reveal 5: This one starts with footage from the Smash Bros Ultimate reveal where they kill Waluigi. We instead follow him down the abyss until he lands unceremoniously in mud. Long story short, he tries to get back into Smash by writing his name down as Geno. He finally appears, dressed haphazardly as Geno, in a Forest Maze-esque stage where he surprises Luigi, Pikachu, and Villager by popping out along with the tagline, "Geno strings up his foes!" The real Geno appears and immediately defeats him, and once again the tagline appears. Waluigi sulks in the dirt, until Luigi pulls him up, dusts him off. Tagline finally says, "Waluigi inches over the finish line!"

Very interesting leak. I like the idea of a sequential story for newcomer trailers.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think a lot of us do actually recognize that distinction, but we actually do want glorified alts for these characters. I mean, Dark Samus was literally an alt in Smash 4, what we’re saying is that with some minor changes to animations and attributes they could very easily be upgraded from that alt color status (obviously Sonic never had a Shadow Alt). Unlike, for instance, Alph, these characters are very different as people than their originals in terms of flair and style (and an argument could still be made for Alph as an Echo)
I know. I just want people to realize it’s not like Dark Samus would play any different from Samus. It’s going to be all aesthitic changes. Nothing else. The moveset will be the same.

Whababa

Smash Cadet

"Reveal 1: Picks up immediately where the last one completes. Samus divekicks towards Ridley but he grabs her and slams her against the ground. He drops her and prepares to impale her with his claw, but it's stopped by a whip. Reveal Simon. Tagline is, "Simon Belmont whips up a storm!"

Reveal 2: Pikachu fights other characters on a stage (I think it's the new Pokemon Stadium). Reveal Mimikyu hiding behind some stage terrain, watching the battle. He hears everyone cheering for Pikachu as it defeats its opponents. Pikachu walks by Mimikyu's hiding spot, he pulls him into the darkness, you hear some cartoon fighting, and then Mimikyu pops out. Reveal is first, "Pikachu shocks the competition!" before the music stops and "Mimikyu scares up some fun!" is slapped over it.

Reveal 3: I don't know much about how this one works out other than that my friend said that it features Ashley and Shadow, seemingly as friends. Comedic one that plays on them both being kind of dark and brooding.

Reveal 4: King K. Rool beating up DK, Diddy, and Ness. Funky Kong bi-plane fires at him, then Funky Kong surfs into battle and stands alongside his pals. Something along the lines of, "Funky Kong makes some waves!"

Reveal 5: This one starts with footage from the Smash Bros Ultimate reveal where they kill Waluigi. We instead follow him down the abyss until he lands unceremoniously in mud. Long story short, he tries to get back into Smash by writing his name down as Geno. He finally appears, dressed haphazardly as Geno, in a Forest Maze-esque stage where he surprises Luigi, Pikachu, and Villager by popping out along with the tagline, "Geno strings up his foes!" The real Geno appears and immediately defeats him, and once again the tagline appears. Waluigi sulks in the dirt, until Luigi pulls him up, dusts him off. Tagline finally says, "Waluigi inches over the finish line!"

Very interesting leak. I like the idea of a sequential story for newcomer trailers.
Had hope until the last bit with geno and waluigi:cheep::halfsheep::emptysheep:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This one starts with footage from the Smash Bros Ultimate reveal where they kill Waluigi... Long story short, he tries to get back into Smash by writing his name down as Geno.
Aaaaaaand fake.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Like the idea, but it feels so detailed and so fake.

It's a nice fan fiction for the trailers though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

My reasoning for the strong possibility of Decidueye is that the game started development in early 2016 and rosters are one of the first things Sakurai knocks out before he starts actual programming. That said, it was probably another Lucario/Greninja situation where he was given concept art for a Pokemon and told to make a fighter based on that. Further more, concept art of the three final evolutions of the Alolan starters were leaked in April of that year so it's likely Sakurai had access to those documents too.

By this reasoning, he probably chose one of the three final Alolan starters: Decidueye, Inceniroar, or Primarina. If this is the case, I doubt Primarina because there was already two water types and I doubt Inceniroar because we already have a fully evolved fire starter. That leaves Decidueye who is significantly different from Ivysaur and already demonstrated as a fighter in Pokken. It's not a guarantee but it seems like a natural fit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember that the demo was missing alt colors. Dark Samus could still simply be a color, or still be an AT, or both.

Let's not jump the gun. It's not impossible for ones like Shadow and Dark Samus to become Echo Fighters, but we have a long time and little information to go on. Don't hype yourself up too much on the possibility.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
This is a question for everyone, does anyone actually love the echo concept?
I do. In a game about characters, extra characters are cool. Plus I get to play as my favorite character, Lucina. That's cool.

As a kid, I never really understood the concept of clones. They were just more cool characters to play as, and I never questioned why they fought like other guys in the roster. I'm starting to try and revive that childhood innocence in order to enjoy video games better, instead of overanalizing every little detail. I can do that later when the game's old.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Would love this but the last one gave it away. Unless Nintendo goes full meme mode that last one just..lol. Gave me a laugh though.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

Be honest, did you just post this just because it had a waluigi comeback in it?
(Although sequential newcomer reveals are a pretty neat idea).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

>"Waluigi inches over the finish line!"
Oh yeah, this one's done for.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

That was a nice try, but the Waluigi part at the end gave it away as a fake. No way I am believing this now.

Shroob

Sup?
Even though I know it'll probably never happen, I'd love to see a remake of the ending screen of Subspace, with all the characters on the cliff looking at the sunset, with Smash Ultimate's Roster instead.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Decidueye was overall the most popular starter in Alola if the information I've seen is correct. He's also highly workable into the game due to his unique moves and design giving him an obvious set of specials and Final Smash. He's got a lot of unique potential and is also a fan favorite like Mimikyu, so if that was enough for Lucario and Greninja, it should be enough now. Just depends if Sakurai sees him the same way he saw those two.
Look up the official Japanese gen 7 Pokemon popularity list. Decidueye isn't even on it. He might be top 10 in America but I haven't found anything official on that.

I honestly don't want him because he was in Pokken (If Mimikyu didn't exist I'd probably be rooting for either him or Incineroar, to be fair). It's a stupid reason but I'd feel cheated. Lycanroc I would at least be like "oh well thats fair I guess, he could use something." I don't expect Rowlet personally. Zeroara....just hasn't earned a spot in my opinion. I legitimately would prefer Decidueye over the yellow Lucario. I don't think I'll complain at all if Incineroar is in.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

The Shadow and Ashley part would of been cute.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Further killing it? He says that Raichu, Dillon, Phoenix Wright, and Dark Samus are secret newcomers.

And lol. No.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I keep seeing this argument of "Mimikyu can't be in because that would be 3 Pikachus", but isn't that kind of ridiculous considering we now have 3 Links? Especially when you realize Mimikyu would only kind of look like Pikachu and that's it, moveset-wise they'd have nothing in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom