• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Real talk about echo fighters: I don't expect that many, and I think they'll just stick with relevant popular requests.
My ideas as to to possible echo fighters that might happen:

Mario series:
Dry Bowser (Bowser)

DK series:
Funky Kong (DK)
Dixie Kong (I much rather see her as an unique fighter or a semi-clone at the very least) (Diddy Kong)

The Legend of Zelda:
Impa (Sheik)

Metroid:
Dark Samus (Samus)

Kirby:
Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)

Fire Emblem:
Chrom (Ike)

Animal Crossing:
Isabelle (Villager) (I am not sure if this is workable, might be clone material)

Kid Icarus:
Medusa (Palutena) (I am not sure if this is workable, she does not have legs like Palutena does).

Splatoon:
Octoling (Inkling)

Sonic:
Shadow (It seems obvious)

Street Fighter:
Ken (Ryu) (he seems made for this role, although I think he fits better as a clone).

Any other obvious ones?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Vergebon has been wrong about every single leak he's posted (of which there's been many) with the exception of his very first, Battletoads in Killer Instinct, which I'm not even convinced was a leak and not just a lucky guess. He's been caught editing posts to make his leaks more correct, and he's also very commonly piggybacked on other leaks. The very few times he has been right about characters in other fighting games, it was always popular, heavily requested veterans or newcomers, and always came bundled with a bunch of characters that didn't make it in. He's proven time and again he's not to be trusted, and "leaking" the two most popular cut veterans and the single most requested newcomer isn't enough to make me suddenly think he's finally got actual sources.

I've said before E3, and I'll say it again. There's a better chance Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake and Simon are all in the game coincidentally than there is he has any actual insider knowledge.

The only thing that will make me reconsider the leak is if Symphony of the Night gets bundled into a compilation release some time within the next few months. Given the size of the game, it feels much more in-character for Konami to just release the standalone game on digital stores again than bundle it with a bunch of other games. It's easily the least believable part of his leak and thus the part most likely to "prove" it. That or a Minecraft stage, I guess. Simon alone with not cut it for me.
Credit where credit is due, he got Jump Force and some SC6 stuff (Groh) right. Not that it changes much since most of his leaks are wrong, but I think it should still be said.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I actually realize that... Sakurai could have been trolling us.
Think about it, everytime a new smash is made, they have to remade everything from zero, that means they have to make mario, link, DK... all over again.
But this time, this is kinda half port, this means they already had all the characters from smash4 and some stages already made, they had time enough to even add silly small details.
The only real characters that they had to remade from zero are the old veterans and some stages.
What I'm trying to say is... the difference between this smash and others is that they already have stuff made from the last smash game that they ported, so Sakurai could totally add a lot of characters, unless of course he made the biggest craziest story mode ever.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I wish we had nothing from Minecraft and just got Banjo-Kazooie. But MS acts like Banjo is dead so i’m not sure... some people may want him but please keep Steve away if Banjo is also a choice :(
agreed, but i definitely see microsoft playing hardball on this one IF banjo gets a shot at all there would almost certainly be things microsoft would want out of the deal and advertising minecraft in smash seems like something they'd go for.

i'm not holding my breath for banjo-kazooie now unless i see that minecraft stage, but they are still one of my most wanted newcomers next to geno and littlemac (who i already got last time yay!) those have always been my three most wanted smash characters.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Vergebon has been wrong about every single leak he's posted (of which there's been many) with the exception of his very first, Battletoads in Killer Instinct, which I'm not even convinced was a leak and not just a lucky guess. He's been caught editing posts to make his leaks more correct, and he's also very commonly piggybacked on other leaks. The very few times he has been right about characters in other fighting games, it was always popular, heavily requested veterans or newcomers, and always came bundled with a bunch of characters that didn't make it in. He's proven time and again he's not to be trusted, and "leaking" the two most popular cut veterans and the single most requested newcomer isn't enough to make me suddenly think he's finally got actual sources.

I've said before E3, and I'll say it again. There's a better chance Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake and Simon are all in the game coincidentally than there is he has any actual insider knowledge.

The only thing that will make me reconsider the leak is if Symphony of the Night gets bundled into a compilation release some time within the next few months. Given the size of the game, it feels much more in-character for Konami to just release the standalone game on digital stores again than bundle it with a bunch of other games. It's easily the least believable part of his leak and thus the part most likely to "prove" it. That or a Minecraft stage, I guess. Simon alone with not cut it for me.
Didn't he get TMNT in Injustice 2 and something about Soul Calibur VI right?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Mario series:
Dry Bowser (Bowser)

DK series:
Funky Kong (DK)
Dixie Kong (I much rather see her as an unique fighter or a semi-clone at the very least) (Diddy Kong)

The Legend of Zelda:
Impa (Sheik)

Metroid:
Dark Samus (Samus)

Kirby:

Fire Emblem:
Chrom (Ike)

Animal Crossing:
Isabelle (Villager) (I am not sure if this is workable, might be clone material)

Kid Icarus:
Medusa (Palutena) (I am not sure if this is workable, she does not have legs like Palutena does).

Splatoon:
Octoling (Inkling)

Sonic:

Street Fighter:
Ken (Ryu) (he seems made for this role, although I think he fits better as a clone).

Any other obvious ones?
I'd go with something a little more realistic for Yoshi than who I really want:
Yarn Yoshi

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Nah dude. Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright any day of the week. Monster Hunter is Capcom's most prominent series behind Megaman and Street Fighter, and Phoenix is a staple of Nintendo systems.

Though it'd be funny to actually have "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" on the cover.
Don't forget Okami HD is coming out for the Switch, later this year who knows that relevancy could bring Amaterasu to Smash.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
thats what i had heard as well and TMNT seems... unguessable. wii fit trainer level unguessable. which is where most of my faith in him was coming from and of course hes only as good as his sources...

now im not so sure about him, much more back and forth on how legit i beleive his multiple sources are anyway.

either way though i still think simon is very likely, leak or no leak hes probably the most likely third party newcomer.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I completey meant TMNT in Injustice, not Battletoads in KI, lol. I don't play either game and it's 3 AM my time. Soul Calibur, tho, he got far more wrong than he did right. Claimed it would be on Switch and have Link again. That's a huge discrepancy and shows he was just wildly guessing.

Credit where credit is due, he got Jump Force
People keep saying this. Someone link me.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Mario series:
Dry Bowser (Bowser)

DK series:
Funky Kong (DK)

The Legend of Zelda:
Impa (Sheik)

Metroid:
Dark Samus (Samus)

Kirby:

Fire Emblem:
Chrom (Ike)

Animal Crossing:

Kid Icarus:

Splatoon:
Octoling (Inkling)

Sonic:

Street Fighter:

Any other obvious ones?
Galacta Knight color scheme is one of meta knights costumes so im doubtful on that one, for instance Ike has lost his Chrom alt costume (in the demo anyway) and it appears diddy does not have his dixie kong colored costume (at least we havent seen it anywhere yet) so they seem more likely to be "echo fighters", posibly even saved for DLC or something but there seems reasoning behind removing those alts...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Everyone seems to dismiss Impa as a Echo Fighter, and yes while that does seem logical, there's also a lot of reasons why it wouldn't happen.

For example, Link seems to have his trainee knight outfit from Hyrule Warriors as one of his alternative costumes. That might hint towards a Hyrule Warriors newcomer, and Impa fits that bill better than any other that's not a one-off (Lana, Cia and Linkle). Other popular choices as Midna and Ghirahim have returned as Assist Trophies (not sure if Skull Kid is there however, with Young Link returning, he seems a little more likely as well).

Plus Impa's body proportions are hugely different from Sheik's. She's taller, more skinny, and has far longer arms. Not exactly the same situation as Marth / Lucina, Pit / Dark Pit and Peach / Daisy where all their physical atributes are all extremely similar if not the same.

With popular demand of Dixie, and semi-clones still being a trope of Smash, I could see Impa and Dixie included as semi-clones honestly. With Metroid getting it's unlikely newcomer, I seriously doubt DKC and Zelda will be lacking behind. Especially since the franchises are hugely critically acclaimed and praised, plus offer a lot of newcomer potential in general. Dixie might simply miss the boat if K.Rool wins the ballot however, but am more certain than ever that Impa is gonna join the roster.

I'd be 100% satisfied with her as a Echo Fighter however, but I just felt like stating my opinion on the matter.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I completey meant TMNT in Injustice, not Battletoads in KI, lol. I don't play either game and it's 3 AM my time. Soul Calibur, tho, he got far more wrong than he did right. Claimed it would be on Switch and have Link again. That's a huge discrepancy and shows he was just wildly guessing.

People keep saying this. Someone link me.
http://is2.4chan.org/v/1528440328616.png

It was a nightmare to find, but there it is, specifically in the bottom right. And for what its worth, you can't edit PM's on GameFAQs. He also name-dropped the guy he was PMing on GameFAQs for verification, including their Reddit name.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Everyone seems to dismiss Impa as a Echo Fighter, and yes while that does seem logical, there's also a lot of reasons why it wouldn't happen.

For example, Link seems to have his trainee knight outfit from Hyrule Warriors as one of his alternative costumes. That might hint towards a Hyrule Warriors newcomer, and Impa fits that bill better than any other that's not a one-off (Lana, Cia and Linkle). Other popular choices as Midna and Ghirahim have returned as Assist Trophies (not sure if Skull Kid is there however, with Young Link returning, he seems a little more likely as well).

Plus Impa's body proportions are hugely different from Sheik's. She's taller, more skinny, and has far longer arms. Not exactly the same situation as Marth / Lucina, Pit / Dark Pit and Peach / Daisy where all their physical atributes are all extremely similar if not the same.

With popular demand of Dixie, and semi-clones still being a trope of Smash, I could see Impa and Dixie included as semi-clones honestly. With Metroid getting it's unlikely newcomer, I seriously doubt DKC and Zelda will be lacking behind. Especially since the franchises are hugely critically acclaimed and praised, plus offer a lot of newcomer potential in general. Dixie might simply miss the boat if K.Rool wins the ballot however, but am more certain than ever that Impa is gonna join the roster.

I'd be 100% satisfied with her as a Echo Fighter however, but I just felt like stating my opinion on the matter.

i think her repping skyward sword (as none of our zelda characters do that yet) is more likely than hyrule warriors. We seem to have a grab bag of zelda games repped amongst the series right now so that feels fitting to me, Though I also think the zelda series got a lot of love this time around already and im unsure if Impa, echo fighter or not, will happen because of that.

shes a tough one for me to guess at, could see it happening but could also very reasonably see it not happening. kinda hinges on how many more chaarcter we actually get and if echo fighters are thrown around or if we only get like one more for the base roster.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
One more question
Do you think Square Enix will consider putting KH3 on the switch? If I had to decide I'd def do it, switch sales are amazing and they just keep getting better with all the 3rd party support.
I did hear that KH3 will eventually come to the Switch after it comes to Xbox one and the PS4 but it'll be a while before we get that which could potentially give Square Enix a chance to release 1.5, 2.5, and 2.8 to the switch

Okay so guys.

Guys we need to talk about Zelda.

She is so... FUN.

I got to play more Smash today (The line was INSANELY fast, I think there's a very good chance I'll get to play a LOT more tomorrow) and tried Zelda first. I have never liked Zelda as a fighter, she's just been so boring and basic and bad.

...I enjoyed her so much that I played her for all 4 of my remaining matches.

I don't know WHAT it is, but she just has so much more OOMPH to everything she does and it is incredible. And the Phantom?! You can set it up wherever, even in mid air, and it will lunge forward quickly and attack after a certain point, and hits pretty hard. I threw someone into it as it lunged forward and nailed it, it was SO satisfying.

And Din's Fire doesn't put you in free fall anymore and everything she does just has so much more ENERGY and expressiveness to it!

I'm floored, of all the veterans we have I never thought Zelda would be the biggest draw to me. I dunno if she's GREAT, but she is better, absolutely no doubt there. I am very much looking forward to playing her more.

...Also, the most hilarious thing happened. We ended up on New Pork after picking random, and of course Lucas's good friend the Chimera is back. But I ended up getting the Squid Sisters when pulling an assist, and the CHIMERA LITERALLY PROWLED AROUND IN FRONT OF THEM THE ENTIRE TIME, and there was VERY little room to move since we were on the bottom part of New Pork, so all three of the guys I was playing with got chomp'd. I barely managed to dance around him. But we all got a good laugh.
One look at Zelda and I knew she would become my new favorite character, with her positive expression on her face and attitude, it actually feels like she wants to be in Smash as opposed to before where she seemed disinterested in everything, and just wanted to go read a book or something I was actually hoping someone would talk about her so thank you.

Also did she feel faster to you, anything to note about her frame rate, and did her moves have less start-up or end lag than before?

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wait, I just noticed that they are doing a "Fighter of the day".
but there are only 65 fighters right now.
If they want to keep the fighter of the day until game release, they had to add a lot of characters.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If they want to keep the fighter of the day until game release, they had to add a lot of characters.
They can always repeat fighters however. Nothing is stopping them.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
They're not going to do a new fighter each day. They'll probably randomly pick a character from the current roster for each day, or go in order of appearance.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
http://is2.4chan.org/v/1528440328616.png

It was a nightmare to find, but there it is, specifically in the bottom right. And for what its worth, you can't edit PM's on GameFAQs. He also name-dropped the guy he was PMing on GameFAQs for verification, including their Reddit name.
Ah, so a bunch of stuff piggybacking on previous rumors/leaks (Just Cause 4), stuff that directly contradicts things Vergeben himself had already leaked (Xenoverse 3 is not in production, CyberConnect2's new game being completely different from the last one he said they were making) and even the thing he got right was still only partially right (Jump Force not being PS4 exclusive). So basic Verg M.O.

Thanks for tracking this down, though.

Zeox

Smash Champion
They're not going to do a new fighter each day. They'll probably randomly pick a character from the current roster for each day, or go in order of appearance.
I know that, what I'm saying is that they would get out of characters, they can pick one day mario, next day olimar, next day a new character, next day donkey kong... etc.
but even then, with clones and 5-10 new characters more, they would still need a lot of days to fill it.
They can always repeat fighters however. Nothing is stopping them.
Showing the same fighter 2 or even 3 times is kinda repetitive, but yeah they could do that.

Shroob

Sup?
I know that, what I'm saying is that they would get out of characters, they can pick one day mario, next day olimar, next day a new character, next day donkey kong... etc.
but even then, with clones and 5-10 new characters more, they would still need a lot of days to fill it.

Showing the same fighter 2 or even 3 times is kinda repetitive, but yeah they could do that.
iirc, it's been a long time, but they did the same thing for the Dojo back in Brawl. where you'd have a character reveal, moves reveal, and final smash reveal seperated.
They can drag out 66 characters for a looooooooong time if they want to.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Rumor going around:

"Konami is inviting press to a closed door presentation of a currently unannounced game later today. "

Could add to simons chances...pacman was announced "behind closed doors" after all...

no good source for this rumor though, just talk on 4chan and such.

Zeox

Smash Champion
If we're getting another Zelda, I think I'd rather have Toon Zelda, though I'm not really against Hilda as an echo fighter, would make up for her receiving the cold shoulder in Hyrule Warriors..
The thing with Echo fighters is that they are pretty much the same, but their animations are a little different.
Toon Zelda would make her hitbox smaller, which i believe it would count as a different character.

Shroob

Sup?
I just realized the most OBVIOUS echo character that hasn't been mentioned (or I didn't saw it):

View attachment 148297
It honestly wouldn't surprise me, considering Zelda's sudden design change.

But at the same time, eh...?

The thing that's always struck me about Zelda-characters in Smash is that they focus on the core characters, characters who will always be relevant to the series(Link, Ganon, Zelda, and a younger Link).

This is probably why characters like Tingle, Midna, etc have never been playable.... which is basically what Hilda is, a one-off alter-ego of Zelda.

I 'could' see it happening, since Zelda's new design is ALBW inspired, but it'd be really odd, ngl.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing with Echo fighters is that they are pretty much the same, but their animations are a little different.
Toon Zelda would make her hitbox smaller, which i believe it would count as a different character.
Wait, isn't that what clones and semi clones have usually been? I think the likes of Dark Pit and Lucina have different properties in their moves though.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
i think her repping skyward sword (as none of our zelda characters do that yet) is more likely than hyrule warriors. We seem to have a grab bag of zelda games repped amongst the series right now so that feels fitting to me, Though I also think the zelda series got a lot of love this time around already and im unsure if Impa, echo fighter or not, will happen because of that.

shes a tough one for me to guess at, could see it happening but could also very reasonably see it not happening. kinda hinges on how many more chaarcter we actually get and if echo fighters are thrown around or if we only get like one more for the base roster.
I also really think Skyward Sword Impa is the most likely Impa variation right now. And lots of it might have to do with a possible Skyward Sword HD for Switch. IF she's in, and IF that game ever gets to be (which I think it will) I expect Impa to be revealed around that point. Or some other reveal concerning Zelda. Cause I do think it's strange that outside of Hyrule Warriors Switch, no new Zelda game has surfaced since Breath of the Wild.

Anyway, Impa is quite a lot more likely now. I won't complain if she's a Echo, but there's easy potential for way more.

Also unrelated question, how heavy is Ridley?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Rumor going around:

"Konami is inviting press to a closed door presentation of a currently unannounced game later today. "

Could add to simons chances...pacman was announced "behind closed doors" after all...

no good source for this rumor though, just talk on 4chan and such.
What was the source of said quote? As in terms of a 4chan thread.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Even though Impa and Dixie deserve better, there's more than enough similarities that could warrant them being Echo Fighters. It could happen.

That being said, I don't think Sakurai is gonna go overboard with the clones. Seeing how we already have three Links and a slightly less cloney Ganondorf, I think Zelda is the franchise that's least likely to get a clone now. If we're getting someone new, it'll be a unique character.

Shroob

Sup?
When it comes to Echoes, if you want to categorize Hilda as one, she'd be closer to Dark Pit on the "Echo Spectrum" than to Lucina or Daisy.

Daisy and Lucina have actual differences in not only animations, but just general appearance. Daisy doesn't really 'look' like Peach, and Lucina has enough to tell her apart from Marth.

Hilda is literally "Let's look up emo Zelda on Deviantart", like how Dark Pit is to Pit.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but when it comes to Echoes, I'd much prefer the Daisy or Lucinas over the Dark Pits(Effectively Recolors).

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wait, isn't that what clones and semi clones have usually been? I think the likes of Dark Pit and Lucina have different properties in their moves though.
Daisy is pretty much Peach but with different animations for her attacks, same hitbox, similar movesets.
Pretty sure Dark Pit and Pit share the same hitbox,
When it comes to Echoes, if you want to categorize Hilda as one, she'd be closer to Dark Pit on the "Echo Spectrum" than to Lucina or Daisy.

Daisy and Lucina have actual differences in not only animations, but just general appearance. Daisy doesn't really 'look' like Peach, and Lucina has enough to tell her apart from Marth.

Hilda is literally "Let's look up emo Zelda on Deviantart", like how Dark Pit is to Pit.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but when it comes to Echoes, I'd much prefer the Daisy or Lucinas over the Dark Pits(Effectively Recolors).
But she is not a recolor, she is as different form zelda that Daisy is from Peach.
Different artstyle, way of dress, and even face in general.
She is not just Zelda with dark hair.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Mario series:
Dry Bowser (Bowser)

DK series:
Funky Kong (DK)

The Legend of Zelda:
Impa (Sheik)

Metroid:
Dark Samus (Samus)

Kirby:

Fire Emblem:
Chrom (Ike)

Animal Crossing:

Kid Icarus:

Splatoon:
Octoling (Inkling)

Sonic:

Street Fighter:

Any other obvious ones?
Meta Knight already has a Galacta Knight skin so he's deconfirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom