• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I just realized, nobody has really considered how we could potentially get another Pokémon Trainer in Smash Ultimate for a Pokémon newcomer instead of just an individual fighter again. So I propose the idea of an Alolan Pokémon Trainer with Rowlet, Brionne, and Incineroar. With Rowlet and Incineroar being pushed instead of Decidueye by GameFreak, it can definitely be a good compromise for everyone, I feel. Thoughts?
I feel like there will be no more new pokemon characters, with the return of pichu and pokemon trainer that makes 9 pokemons.
That's a lot.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just realized, nobody has really considered how we could potentially get another Pokémon Trainer in Smash Ultimate for a Pokémon newcomer instead of just an individual fighter again. So I propose the idea of an Alolan Pokémon Trainer with Rowlet, Brionne, and Incineroar. With Rowlet and Incineroar being pushed instead of Decidueye by GameFreak, it can definitely be a good compromise for everyone, I feel. Thoughts?
Good concept, but bad way to spend development time. That's essentially three more Pokemon newcomers, and that feels a little excessive.

A single Pokemon is still our best bet. Might not be the best compromise, but it's the only way we can get a Pokemon newcomer without stealing development time away from other potential characters.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I doubt it. Creating 3 new fighters for 1 fighter is too much work. With the smaller amount of newcomers this game is getting I doubt Sakurai would choose to spend time doing that.

Also I don't think there will be a Pokemon newcomer. Pokemon has now moved back to Kanto with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. Pokemon trainer currently represents the newest games with his model being updated to be similar to the ones used in Let's Go and his final smash Triple Finish uses the same text as in Let's Go.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like I've said before, I'm predicting it will be the Mega Eggdozer. I'm 95% positive...
Yoshi's Final Smash could still be Super Dragon though, but it would likely operate in a different manner than in Brawl and Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Meta Knight already has a Galacta Knight skin so he's deconfirmed.
As unlikely as it is to see Galacta Knight as a playable character, I don't think that a palette that references Galacta Knight means that he's completely out of the running.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I don't get why people think Dixie will be an echo. Her hair acts nothing like Diddy's jetpack and Dixie would never jump on someones face.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don't get why people think Dixie will be an echo. Her hair acts nothing like Diddy's jetpack and Dixie would never jump on someones face.
I don't really know enough about DK country to really give my input, i've only played a bit of the first DK Country

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also I don't think there will be a Pokemon newcomer. Pokemon has now moved back to Kanto with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. Pokemon trainer currently represents the newest games with his model being updated to be similar to the ones used in Let's Go and his final smash Triple Finish uses the same text as in Let's Go.
No one should even be banking on Let's Go to be intentionally pushed in Smash. If anything, the disconfirmation of Eevee and the boatload of new Alolan Pokemon should tell us that Gen VII is the Gen being pushed in SSBU.

My knowledge on Pokemon is limited to which ones furries found popular a year ago.

I'm not even joking...
Let me guess. Gardevoir, Lopunny, Lucario, Zoroark, and Braixen?

...Eh, that makes sense I guess.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
No one should even be banking on Let's Go to be intentionally pushed in Smash. If anything, the disconfirmation of Eevee and the boatload of new Alolan Pokemon should tell us that Gen VII is the Gen being pushed in SSBU.

Let me guess. Gardevoir, Lopunny, Lucario, Zoroark, and Braixen?

...Eh, that makes sense I guess.
My knowledge is limited to every gen except gen 4 and 5 for some reason.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
People saying Dixie will be an echo clearly have no idea what an echo fighter is.

At worst, she'll be like Lucas or Falco. She'll have some similar moves because of her similar build, but (a) she has a lot to work with and (b) doesn't have things Diddy has that would work for her moves (Tail, Jetpack, etc.). I know that hasn't stopped Sakurai before with some characters, but she literally can't use any tail moves. That alone would NOT make her an echo fighter.

If I were to guess, worst case her side, down, and neutral special would be the same (just with the bubblegum popgun instead of peanuts).

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Might want to lower your expectations a bit. Ridley getting in Smash was a miracle by itself.
I agree with the "let's not expect every fan roster to come true", but I'm defintely feeling King K. Rool a lot more than I was before. This game is feeling very fanservicey (all veterans and probably all stages, Sakurai said fan outcry is why he reconsidered Ridley, Splatoon, although obvious, was also a huge fan pick and also Daisy).

My current conspiracy is with the emphasis on echo fighters and how they are marketing them rather than just putting them in, I'm thinking King K Rool is possible with a Dixie echo (I know it's not ideal).

When creating prediction rosters I always felt 2 DK reps was impossible but I think I found something that might work...or maybe not lol
People saying Dixie will be an echo clearly have no idea what an echo fighter is.

At worst, she'll be like Lucas or Falco. She'll have some similar moves because of her similar build, but (a) she has a lot to work with and (b) doesn't have things Diddy has that would work for her moves (Tail, Jetpack, etc.). I know that hasn't stopped Sakurai before with some characters, but she literally can't use any tail moves. That alone would NOT make her an echo fighter.

If I were to guess, worst case her side, down, and neutral special would be the same (just with the bubblegum popgun instead of peanuts).
I've heard Diddy had his tail attacks removed, need to go check.

Well if Dixie doesn't get in as an echo then I think her chances drop because I think King K. Rool might be possible...the one downside I see for him is how Nintendo feels about the character, seeing as he hasn't been in a game for a while.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Similar build to Diddy and supposedly he no longer uses his tail for attacks. I don't think Dixie should be an echo, but I can see why Sakurai might go that way. The only time she was considered was as his tag team partner in Brawl so mechanically they might have been very similar. I'd say Dixie would need a different Up-B, Neutral B, and Final Smash which would make her more of a semi-clone/echo.

And sadly the "they wouldn't do that!" statement does not really matter. Ganondorf, Koopalings, Dark Pit, Rosalina, etc. are prime examples.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So...

This video has more dislikes than Bayonetta.

Why?
I don't know... most people think bust are more important than legs? That being said I think there more odd reasons than just that.

Unfortunate how Smash Ultimate still has those unnecessary tweaks though. I aware those tweaks will happen though, but eh, it is what it is.

And yes, for those who supports those tweaks and censorships, congrats... I guess, but the like/dislikes still shows you guys are in the minority...

Short answer? Breast reduction.
Which something I think it's unnecessary to do but I also don't really care that much.
They moved her boobs to make room for ridley
Or more space to fit the game into the Switch cartridge.
On another subject, has anyone ever gotten a cute vibe while looking at the artwork for Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina?
I only got cute vibe from Inklings and Nana.

Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina I got gorgeous vibe.
They nerfed her boobs, but what people aren't paying attention to is they buffed her legs..a lot.
Which is more important for competitive players lol.
Snake’s video also has a lot of dislikes too for some reason
Some expect him getting MGS V look I guess.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don't know... most people think bust are more important than legs? That being said I think there more odd reasons than just that.

Unfortunate how Smash Ultimate still has those unnecessary tweaks though. I aware those tweaks will happen though, but eh, it is what it is.

And yes, for those who supports those tweaks and censorships, congrats... I guess, but the like/dislikes still shows you guys are in the minority...

Which something I think it's unnecessary to do but I also don't really care that much.

Or more space to fit the game into the Switch cartridge.

Which is more important for competitive players lol.

Some expect him getting MGS V look I guess.
What the crap have i started.

Might want to lower your expectations a bit. Ridley getting in Smash was a miracle by itself.
Agreed, doesn't mean Shrek and Goku are gonna get in the game.
Ok, all jokes aside, yeah, doesn't mean every fan roster gonna come true. I can't see characters like Buzzwole joining the roster.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I agree with the "let's not expect every fan roster to come true", but I'm defintely feeling King K. Rool a lot more than I was before. This game is feeling very fanservicey (all veterans and probably all stages, Sakurai said fan outcry is why he reconsidered Ridley, Splatoon, although obvious, was also a huge fan pick and also Daisy).

My current conspiracy is with the emphasis on echo fighters and how they are marketing them rather than just putting them in, I'm thinking King K Rool is possible with a Dixie echo (I know it's not ideal).

When creating prediction rosters I always felt 2 DK reps was impossible but I think I found something that might work...or maybe not lol
Maybe we could get two DK reps, but I'm still not comfortable saying K. Rool is likely. As popular as he is, he's not really as iconic as the current three newcomers, and his lack of relevancy is still a glaring issue.

Perhaps I'm being a pessimist, but I don't think people should just assume, "Oh, this must be a fanservice game! We're definitely getting K. Rool and Bandana Dee now!"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I guess one of the reasons why I've gotten the cute vibe from Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina, is due to the way their eyes are shaped. In past installments, Zelda looked too serious to ever feel cute.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Actually, Diddy's final smash may change to another DK64 move: the guitar shockwaves. Final smashes that let you move are getting removed, after all? If Diddy gets that as a final smash, then Dixie can get a slightly altered version of it...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess one of the reasons why I've gotten the cute vibe from Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina, is due to the way their eyes are shaped. In past installments, Zelda looked too serious to ever feel cute.
And I'm glad for that. Never was too fond on how they tend to give Zelda such a bland character (TP Zelda being the worst offender with her lack of emotions to anything going on) as if she doesn't even want to be here or something. So I'm glad that they finally gave her a more expressive personality this time around, and based off my favourite Zelda design from A Link to the Past/Between Worlds no less which I always thought was the best design for her.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Maybe we could get two DK reps, but I'm still not comfortable saying K. Rool is likely. As popular as he is, he's not really as iconic as the current three newcomers, and his lack of relevancy is still a glaring issue.

Perhaps I'm being a pessimist, but I don't think people should just assume, "Oh, this must be a fanservice game! We're definitely getting K. Rool and Bandana Dee now!"
Yea that's a good point. I feel it's an easy mistake to say Ridley and King K. Rool were on the same level, but they never were. If it weren't for Sakurai denying Ridley in the past, Ridley would have been way more likely (just as popular, very relevant, recent games etc etc). King K. Rool gets no real love from Nintendo and I wonder if that would effect his chances.

A Kirby character on the other hand...while it isn't a good idea to assume anything, Kirby characters have been heavily requested in Japan and Bandana Dee is more simialr to Ridley in the relevance and Nintendo spotlight sense.

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I'll happily take being in the minority over being associated with people crying about boobs getting shrunk :p

In regards to the tail moves, based on Diddy's fighter video he's got a new jab combo that doesn't use his tail. I'm pretty sure that's the only move that does use his tail, no?

?????????????

Smash Master
Hey...

I’ve seen a couple posts about “what if Sakurai tries to add characters he wanted to add in the past,” such as Chorus Kids.

What about Toon Zelda...?

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Fox Echo: Slippy
Falco Echo: Peppy

Then we have the whole Star Fox crew. :grin:
Aren't you forgetting someone ;)

I legitimately would be totally down for 2 or 3 more Fire Emblem characters.
Me too seeing how Lyn is outta the picture (insert delusional hope of DLC saving her), I'm rooting for Celica, and Micaiah, more than ever to make it in (best of luck to their fans as well) as Edelgard from the game, if she comes I hope she uses a lance.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hey...

I’ve seen a couple posts about “what if Sakurai tries to add characters he wanted to add in the past,” such as Chorus Kids.

I think if we were to get Toon Zelda I'd be miffed it wasn't Tetra, but I guess an echo fighter would be a lot easier. Really would rather SS Impa though if it's gunna be an echo, we already have the toon series represented.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey...

I can see her, Dixie and whoever the planned Rythm Heaven character was happening this time around if Sakurai wants to go back and revive some lost character concepts. They might be the only proper clones/semi clone newcomers though rather than echo fighters due to the additional differences they have over a traditional alt costume like characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've stayed quiet about them long enough. Time for me to bring the Champions up again.

So now that E3 is almost over, do you feel more or less confident about their chances? I think you could make a case for both sides. On one hand, BotW isn't the focus like we thought it would be, so that might open the door to older Zelda characters. On the other hand, they're not part of a moveset like a lot of people thought they would be. Plus, we've seen over 30 of the 50 or so Assist Trophies, and none of the Champions were seen.

Personally, I think this helps their chances. In addition to the things I already said, the fact that none of the four even made a cameo on the BotW stage makes me think that there might be something more in store for them.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
What the crap have i started.
You start... what?

Oh yeah, don't forget Pichu.

I mean it's nice to see Zelda having a new look which looks more anime like. Ganondorf on the other hand seems to be going back to his original.
So I can see why some are disappointed that only Zelda characters seems to have a huge make over.
I'll happily take being in the minority over being associated with people crying about boobs getting shrunk :p
Those people aren't crying, just your imagination, they are just disappointed. It's ok to disagree with them but better not treat them like some kind of a man child.

Just to let you know unnecessary censorship like this in video games are never a good thing. Unless Smash Ultimate is indeed rated E10+...

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I've stayed quiet about them long enough. Time for me to bring the Champions up again.

So now that E3 is almost over, do you feel more or less confident about their chances? I think you could make a case for both sides. On one hand, BotW isn't the focus like we thought it would be, so that might open the door to older Zelda characters. On the other hand, they're not part of a moveset like a lot of people thought they would be. Plus, we've seen over 30 of the 50 or so Assist Trophies, and none of the Champions were seen.

Personally, I think this helps their chances. In addition to the things I already said, the fact that none of the four even made a cameo on the BotW stage makes me think that there might be something more in store for them.
Less confident. Everything from BOTW is stuff that was in the BOTW demo. I don't think the Smash team had access to the Champions.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Those people aren't crying, just your imagination, they are just disappointed. It's ok to disagree with them but better not treat them like some kind of a man child.

Just to let you know unnecessary censorship like this in video games are never a good thing. Unless Smash Ultimate is indeed rated E10+...
Actually I think I am going to treat them that way. Looking over the fighter videos, ZSS and Snake have a similar amount of likes as everyone else, they just have an absurd amount of dislikes. Nobody else has that kind of ratio, which means a bunch of people were so upset that they specifically sought out those two UNLISTED videos just to slap a dislike on there. That level of outrage over a character getting designed in a way that is more accurate to who she is is pathetic.

Although I do take it back, I'm not in the minority. Search for Samus on Twitter and you'll find legions of people praising the redesign, far more then the amount that are disliking this video. Which makes sense really, only silly people that are outraged over these changes would go to such lengths over something like this.

Last edited:

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
Honestly I think the change to ZSS's model is a good one, her old chest made her look kinda goofy in some poses and this seems a lot more natural and fitting overal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom