• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Daisy is pretty much Peach but with different animations for her attacks, same hitbox, similar movesets.
Pretty sure Dark Pit and Pit share the same hitbox,

But she is not a recolor, she is as different form zelda that Daisy is from Peach.
Different artstyle, way of dress, and even face in general.
She is not just Zelda with dark hair.
I mean, recolor Zelda and put her in Hilda's outfit, and they'd look the exact same, to me at least.

And my own bias here, but I'd like it if Zelda didn't get Hilda as an echo.

As I mentioned before, the Zelda roster has always focused on the actual 'important' characters in Zelda who will always re-appear in one form or another(Barring Sheik, but Sheik and Smash are basically tied to the hip), while Hilda will most likely never re-appear.

Honestly, if I were to ask for an Echo for the Zelda series, I'd want Impa, since Impa actually has history with the Zelda series, and isn't a one-and-done like Hilda.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Dark Samus is definetly an echo fighter. They removed Samus' Dark Samus alt while Link still his Fierce Deity alt and Dark Samus' assist trophy is nowhere in sight.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I mean, recolor Zelda and put her in Hilda's outfit, and they'd look the exact same, to me at least.

And my own bias here, but I'd like it if Zelda didn't get Hilda as an echo.

As I mentioned before, the Zelda roster has always focused on the actual 'important' characters in Zelda who will always re-appear in one form or another(Barring Sheik, but Sheik and Smash are basically tied to the hip), while Hilda will most likely never re-appear.

Honestly, if I were to ask for an Echo for Zelda, I'd want Impa, since Impa actually has history with the Zelda series, and isn't a one-and-done like Hilda.
That's fine, for me a Peach with Daisy colors is the exact same as Daisy herself.
But don't you dare to compare her with Dark pit which is just Pit with dark colors, her design and looks are actually different from Zelda, not much, but as much as Peach and Daisy.
I don't even want her, I'm just saying, for an echo character she would be an obvious choice if they want to add a character to make the number of characters bigger.

Shroob

Sup?
Dark Samus is definetly an echo fighter. They removed Samus' Dark Samus alt while Link still his Fierce Deity alt and Dark Samus' assist trophy is nowhere in sight.
To be fair, we've only seen like 20 out of 50+ assist trophies.

"We haven't seen them yet" is not a valid argument for a missing assist trophy when we haven't even seen half of the assist trophy cast yet.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
To be fair, we've only seen like 20 out of 50+ assist trophies.

"We haven't seen them yet" is not a valid argument for a missing assist trophy when we haven't even seen half of the assist trophy cast yet.
Still Samus' Dark Samus alt is gone while every other character retains their Smash 4 alts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Even though Impa and Dixie deserve better, there's more than enough similarities that could warrant them being Echo Fighters. It could happen.

That being said, I don't think Sakurai is gonna go overboard with the clones. Seeing how we already have three Links and a slightly less cloney Ganondorf, I think Zelda is the franchise that's least likely to get a clone now. If we're getting someone new, it'll be a unique character.
Skull Kid seems a possibility since they are adressing the core fanbase? But outside of him -who was a Assist Trophy last time dunno about now- there's really not much outside the Champions, and none of them are more important or popular significantly than the other. Urbosa could sort of serve as a Link Echo with lightning effects, but what else?

Impa could also easily be a semi-clone and it would be justified seeing as how much of Breath of the Wild is inspired by her role in Skyward Sword. The whole ancient technology was a thing in Skyward Sword for example, Impa and the Sheikah being the servants of Goddes Hylia too, the Sheikah Monks being eerily similar to Old Impa with their longevity and how they dissapear after fulfilling their role and their role being of guidance to the hero.

A Echo Fighter role would fit. And in Dixie's case it would be far harder because of her Helicopter Spin being her unique selling point. But if nothing else, I'd take it.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Why is Snake's butt the top trending story when you search Smash Bros Ultimate?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So, clones are okay now under the "Echo Fighters"-title? Haha well, at least they have some different attributes to them, so I guess it's cool to get some characters in who might not otherwise. I just hope Sakurai won't go overboard with adding just any character that might fit the bill.

I feel like Shadow for Sonic is a decent idea. And as much as I hate to say it: Dixie for Diddy. She could (and should) definitely be unique, but I dunno, I just have a gut feeling she'll become an Echo Fighter, seeing as Diddy apparently(?) doesn't have his tail move anymore (though it's too early to say, he could use it in other moves still). Oh, and Octoling for Inkling if they're thinking a bit forward, Splatoon is huge.

And Alph... but he appears to remain as a costume for Olimar. Crying.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So, clones are okay now under the "Echo Fighters"-title? Haha well, at least they have some different attributes to them, so I guess it's cool to get some characters in who might not otherwise. I just hope Sakurai won't go overboard with adding just any character that might fit the bill.

I feel like Shadow for Sonic is a decent idea. And as much as I hate to say it: Dixie for Diddy. She could (and should) definitely be unique, but I dunno, I just have a gut feeling she'll become an Echo Fighter, seeing as Diddy apparently(?) doesn't have his tail move anymore (though it's too early to say, he could use it in other moves still). Oh, and Octoling for Inkling if they're thinking a bit forward, Splatoon is huge.

i found the Alph thing strange too but i think they'd either have to add rock pikmin and make Alph MORE than an echo fighter OR if he was an echo fighter they'd struggle to give him small touches that make his personality different to olimars...not really seeing how they would in any meaningful way...

so i guess alph and the koopalings are just costumes and not echos but honestly at the end of the day whats the difference really?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Not true, mac is missing like half of his colors in the demo.
i think they just opted to cut having half his alts wireframe variants.

has anyone seen the metal box item? I havent seen it yet but have seen characters be "golden" and im curious about it, i may have just missed it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

has anyone seen the metal box item? I havent seen it yet but have seen characters be "golden" and im curious about it, i may have just missed it.
Yeah Metal Box is in, I think I saw it in the Treehouse but the Ridley social just linked a video showing off some more of his moves, the metal box and a victory screen

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Nothing at all confirms this. Mario doesn't have his Wario color in the demo, and we know Meta-Ridley is a thing, but Ridley doesn't have the option to use that alt in the demo either.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
To be fair, Ike only has 8 costumes, 4 of which are his swole version. Something had to get cut to make room for those.
That's true, honestly I wouldn't look at Alt costume too much, because having costume referencing characters never blocked them from appearing- Like Marth having Roy's costume in Smash 4-

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

If Dixie where to become a Echo Fighter of Diddy, how would her recovery work? Because the Helicoper Spin functions entirely differently from the Rocket Barrel Boost. Even IF they'd use similar mechanics with charging up and the like, Dixie wouldn't crash and explode on the ground if she aimed at the ground with that attack.

Dixie as a Echo Fighter doesn't really work.

Shroob

Sup?
If Dixie where to become a Echo Fighter of Diddy, how would her recovery work? Because the Helicoper Spin functions entirely differently from the Rocket Barrel Boost. Even IF they'd use similar mechanics with charging up and the like, Dixie wouldn't crash and explode on the ground if she aimed at the ground with that attack.

Dixie as a Echo Fighter doesn't really work.
If she were an echo, she'd just use the jetpack since the B moves don't change.

Which would suck, since her whole point is her ponytail.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
dixies tough, shes both the mot likely echo character but somewhat dissappointing if thats the case.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Since they won't be adding many newcomers, I hope if they'll all be from franchises with few or no fighters. Inkling and Ridley set high standards; they either bring a lot of new with them or are great accompaniment to what we already have. In comparison another Pokemon, Mario or Fire Emblem doesn't bring that much. Ironically I think older characters have a better chance than ever, since the likes of Ridley and K. Rool are much better additions than recently debuted characters in long running franchises when it comes to recognizability and star power.

Echo Fighters are a different story. Anyone with a body shape similar to another character or with good custom specials from 4 could probably get an Echo Fighter. Medusa for Palutena, Black Shadow for Falcon, Ken for Ryu, Ninten/Claus for Ness/Lucas, Shadow for Sonic. ...Dangerous Wiimote Strap Man for Wii Fit Trainer. Dole em out like candy.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
dixies tough, shes both the mot likely echo character but somewhat dissappointing if thats the case.
She'll be her own character. Dr Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Toon Link and Roy are "clones" yet they aren't considered echo fighters.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Since they won't be adding many newcomers, I hope if they'll all be from franchises with few or no fighters. Inkling and Ridley set high standards; they either bring a lot of new with them or are great accompaniment to what we already have. In comparison another Pokemon, Mario or Fire Emblem doesn't bring that much. Ironically I think older characters have a better chance than ever, since the likes of Ridley and K. Rool are much better additions than recently debuted characters in long running franchises when it comes to recognizability and star power.

Echo Fighters are a different story. Anyone with a body shape similar to another character or with good custom specials from 4 could probably get an Echo Fighter. Medusa for Palutena, Black Shadow for Falcon, Ken for Ryu, Ninten/Claus for Ness/Lucas, Shadow for Sonic. ...Dangerous Wiimote Strap Man for Wii Fit Trainer. Dole em out like candy.
I think with this being the "Ultimate" Smash Bros Sakurai is going to add mostly heavily requested characters. Ridley was first and I think King K. Rool and Geno are next.

Shroob

Sup?
As much as I'd love to jump on the K.Rool bandwagon for a DK Rep, Dixie really is the way to go, Echo or not.

She's been in the most recent games, and is just actually a somewhat iconic character to the frachise, while K.Rool's last claim to fame was the Mii-Costume that looked like he was skinned alive.

Maybe we'll get him, but unlike Ridley which had HUGE fan demand, I never see real fan demand for K.Rool outside of Smashboards. And his last 'real' appearance was what, Mario Sluggers? He's been basically forgotten by his own franchise.

To put it into perspective, Funky Kong is more iconic to Donkey Kong nowadays than K.Rool is.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255

Seeing as this is the ultimate smash, and they brought back the old ike model, I seriously doubt color schemes are getting cut.

Not to mention there's never been a pre release smash demo that included all colors. Its like this for every smash game demo.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
You are included in Smash Ultimate. But as an Echo fighter.

Which character are you based off of?
Sheik, cause Ninjas (or Ninja-escque characters) are the best.

Also Ninja vanish.

Marth is also another choice but no tipper... which automatically makes me Lucina I guess.
Robin.

Because I like to alternate between stabbing people and throwing books at them.
So your the judge, jury and executioner? Yikes!

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Let's hope K.Rool has a chance seeing how Sakurai is basically making the fandom happy.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
You know, the echo fighters would make perfect secret unlockables because they generally aren't big enough to carry hype on their own but would be nice surprises while unlocking characters. I would hope and expect them to hold most of them back for release and to show the brand new characters in the upcoming directs

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just a consideration, but what if there are more than 8 pallette swaps for certain characters this time around? Alt costumes probably not included...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
As much as I'd love to jump on the K.Rool bandwagon for a DK Rep, Dixie really is the way to go, Echo or not.

She's been in the most recent games, and is just actually a somewhat iconic character to the frachise, while K.Rool's last claim to fame was the Mii-Costume that looked like he was skinned alive.

Maybe we'll get him, but unlike Ridley which had HUGE fan demand, I never see real fan demand for K.Rool outside of Smashboards. And his last 'real' appearance was what, Mario Sluggers? He's been basically forgotten by his own franchise.
I mostly agree. But Bayonetta's ballot result shows there's a difference between vocal fan demand and silent fan demand (and that goes both ways, a lot of talk doesn't necessarily mean a lot of votes). It depends on if K. Rool's popularity was just as strong offline and outside of discussion boards. If he rivalled Bayonetta or Ridley in votes that would be enough to justify adding him.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So,

Who else is keeping hearing Smash Ultimate's main theme in their head non-stop since yesterday?
Sadly... I don't...

Don't get me wrong, the main theme sounds good but compare to Smash 4's it isn't that pumping for me.

Hope the final build can have of more rhythm going.

View attachment 148116

I don't if it has been posted yet, but see, you can also choose your alt like this, it's a neat touch !

By the way I'm loving the new CSS style and mechanics
A somewhat... unpopular opinion?

I don't like the character selection screen at this moment, not only it looks similar to Smash 4, it looks a bit fan made because there has been many fake character selection screen that has these sharp square tip.

But who knows, maybe the menu screen will be refined or I need to get used to it.
I am going with 5 newcomers and 3 echoes.

K. Rool - If we assume he is as popular as he is online, it would be odd to ignore him.

Belmont - Vergeben seems to have a solid source for this and we got Bomberman as an assist. I believe it enough.

Chorus Kids - if Sakurai is revisting old ideas, why not?

Elma - the toy and Xenoblade has done well recently. Move set potential unlimited.

Bandana Dee - got most the focus from the Kirby fanbase. I see it as a good possibility.

Echoes: Dixie, Chrom, and Impa. I heavily disagree with Dixie being one but it might turn out that way.
I'm fine with most of these choice besides Elma, I will pick Rex and Pyra. By looking Pokemon Trainer be able to switch Pokemon very easy, and Shulk changing Monado arts easily this time. It wouldn't be hard to implement the Blade system this time, and Rex and Pyra will definitely be way more unique than Elma.
Honestly, I haven't been this excited for a smash game since brawl.
Yeah me neither, because I didn't know Brawl back in the day because I didn't play much video games.
I didn't pay attention to E3
Considering Daisy is an echo fighter. I'm really prepared for another more unique Mario newcomer.

And with most options out? It seems it'd be between Captain Toad, Geno, and Paper Mario.

And with those three I don't really know who it'd be.
Actually... no, I don't want another Mario character regardless of it being unique or not.

We need more Nintendo characters that are either unfamiliar or from niche title, this is why I want Rex and Pyra.. or even Chrom, or even indie reps like Shovel Knight or Shantae.
Nintendo finally knows that legs are more important than bust lol.
From what I heard Inkling has absolutely nothing from Splatoon 2 so I'm saying no. Thank god though in the former's case
I still think it's possible for Splatoon 2 Inkling as new DLC alts or echos/clones.
Same with Rex whether you like him or not, since Sakurai has played the game and he likes it a lot and consider it a ground breaking game. For based game yes, I don't think Rex and Spring Man are possible, but I think for DLCs (Or even day one free DLC if we are lucky) they will definitely be the top choices.
Also Snake vs Cloud in the background of the Treehouse on the monitor.

That match up.

Two major Playstation 1 icons fighting.

Something Sony failed to do in Allstars Royale.

Crazy to see in Smash.
And what an era we live in lol.
Im not even gonna lie, Nintendo is doing a really awesome job, I have to give them props they are def making up for the ****ty Wii U era
Wii U era wasn't ****ty per say just disappointing...

What's odd how you have some people complain that it is way more better to buy Wii U now than Switch for Wii U ports lol.

Shroob

Sup?
I mostly agree. But Bayonetta's ballot result shows there's a difference between vocal fan demand and silent fan demand (and that goes both ways, a lot of talk doesn't necessarily mean a lot of votes). It depends on if K. Rool's popularity was just as strong offline and outside of discussion boards. If he rivalled Bayonetta or Ridley in votes that would be enough to justify adding him.
The thing is though, we'll never know the full truth of the ballot.

Not to tinfoil hat, but there's always been the belief that Bayo wasn't the most requested character, but was the one that made the most financial sense.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I noticed in Green Hill Silver still does the loop in the background however Tails and Knuckles are gone. We know Knuckles is an assist but where is Tails? Could he be an assist or maybe he is a newcomer? Just imagine Tails shows them who's Daddy!

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I just realized, nobody has really considered how we could potentially get another Pokémon Trainer in Smash Ultimate for a Pokémon newcomer instead of just an individual fighter again. So I propose the idea of an Alolan Pokémon Trainer with Rowlet, Brionne, and Incineroar. With Rowlet and Incineroar being pushed instead of Decidueye by GameFreak, it can definitely be a good compromise for everyone, I feel. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom