• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is how I pretty much meant it.

Metal Sonic based on the roles he has played over the years in various forms just seems like a bigger pull for an echo. Though Shadow is beloved for better or worse, so I'm not sure what to say. Objectively he is a good choice regardless of history.
Yeah, but either way, I say Metal Sonic is cooler. I like him a lot more, and though Shadow is more likely, I’d prefer Metal Sonic as an echo of Sonic over Shadow.

Troykv

Smash Master
Aren't you forgetting someone ;)

Me too seeing how Lyn is outta the picture (insert delusional hope of DLC saving her), I'm rooting for Celica, and Micaiah, more than ever to make it in (best of luck to their fans as well) as Edelgard from the game, if she comes I hope she uses a lance.
Yes please! I want to see Micaiah in the game <3

Pakky

Smash Hero
There's only so many ways people can say "Those are dumb", promptly followed by "No they're not".

Though for the record those shoes are still really really stupid
Ascetically they're alright but just like with her bust size I'm not going to attack or defend it.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I mean does realism matter when you’re a 20 year old woman fighting a space dragon in super heels?
I feel like you're attempting to argue a completely different point than the one I make. I don't believe for a second the size of a video game characters chest matters here (though, for the record, I do prefer the new model). I just don't think a breast reduction counts as censorship in any reasonable context, regardless of the reasons. She's wearing the exact same clothes and doing the exact same things.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah though he's kind in the "bad" half with the majority "bad" 3D games.

Important nonetheless but, eh.
The bad is represented by edge (guns, damn, clone, moody...fits the bill)
I really do not want Shadow in Smash as a fighter. Wanna-be tsundere.

I still think he is an AT considering we have only seen half the cast for that role, though.
Sonic having two AT characters to make room for Tails confirmed
Shadow is the 2nd most popular Sonic character
And The edgiest
woah...4 Kirby characters finally/possibly gonna become a thing...All I’ll need is a 4th Kid Icarus character to have a Sakurai War

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The bad is represented by edge (guns, damn, clone, moody...fits the bill)

Sonic having two AT characters to make room for Tails confirmed

And The edgiest

woah...4 Kirby characters finally/possibly gonna become a thing...All I’ll need is a 4th Kid Icarus character to have a Sakurai War
yeah this is actually pretty huge news and i hope someone datamines further.

guessing that daisy is in smash and deconfirming waluigi in smash 2 MONTH AGO based on amiibo data is pretty solid evidence this holds water.

Id say now waddle dee is extremely likely if his amiibo data also holds multiple entries like the smash amiibos and daisys amiibo, like this is actually nearly confirmation.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
My echo character predictions:
Isabelle
Dark Samus
Funky Kong
Medusa
Chrob
Shadow
Ms Pac-Man
Ken

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Question: Why are so many people convinced Geno is one of the most likely newcomers now? Over Waluigi? OVER TOAD? I mean I know we got Ridley but he's a long running recurring character that's owned by Nintendo, he's been in almost every single Metroid game AND cameoed in every single Smash. Geno is a one off character from a 20 year old spinoff game with no direct sequel, nobody outside of Smash speculation and SMRPG fans would even onow who he is. I think the Mii costume is perfect and will likely return, and I think that's the best case scenario. I'm not trying to generate salt but the idea that he's suddenly the Mario frontrunner in a game with limited newcomers is... weird.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He may be, but even as a Sonic fan myself, I say he is overrated, no offense to Shadow fans. I just never understood why he is that popular aside from maybe edginess. He just isn’t that good to me. Just okay.
It also should be noted that the Shadow the Hedgehog game received bad reception to the point where it's ranked among the worst games in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Ironically, it's nowhere near as bad as the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wouldn't that guy be talking about THIS waddle dee amiibo?

81Klx1rHnbL._SY445_.jpg

Specially if is called "Waddle Dee" and not "Bandana Dee"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
yeah this is actually pretty huge news and i hope someone datamines further.

guessing that daisy is in smash and deconfirming waluigi in smash 2 MONTH AGO based on amiibo data is pretty solid evidence this holds water.

Id say now waddle dee is extremely likely if his amiibo data also holds multiple entries like the smash amiibos and daisys amiibo, like this is actually nearly confirmation.
Makes you wonder if the Waddle will be similar to/exactly the Bandana kind or he’d use whatever the Waddles can do

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I've stayed quiet about them long enough. Time for me to bring the Champions up again.

So now that E3 is almost over, do you feel more or less confident about their chances? I think you could make a case for both sides. On one hand, BotW isn't the focus like we thought it would be, so that might open the door to older Zelda characters. On the other hand, they're not part of a moveset like a lot of people thought they would be. Plus, we've seen over 30 of the 50 or so Assist Trophies, and none of the Champions were seen.

Personally, I think this helps their chances. In addition to the things I already said, the fact that none of the four even made a cameo on the BotW stage makes me think that there might be something more in store for them.
I'm sorry to say, but I took Mipha off my prediction. The game is not focused on BOTW as I thought, and thus a new Zelda character doesn't need to be from BOTW at all. Plus with evho characters I'm more expecting one of those for the series.

The onllllly redemming factor for the Champions is the lack of their appearance so far, and the fact that other popular characters have returned as assists (Midna). But skull kid and tingle are still missing so the champions still have serious competition. Readlly don't see any of them as likely now.

Very interesting! Hm...

ALSO can we stop with talking about the Zero Suit Samus model. It's super demeaning to focus solely on that change of her character. Like....seriously it's been multiple pages, I don't care how you think she looks and what your preferences are. It's super rude to any women here or anyone who cares about that. If anything I'd rather talk about how ****ing ridiculous it she still has ****ing high heels on.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This is interesting. Skye Bennett said she getting some work done outside of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Could it potentially be Smash?

https://twitter.com/skyedevabennett/status/1006845104823382016
Very interesting. I keep going back and forth on Elma and Rex, but it seems like both characters might be in.

I am not sure I quite understand the logic of the data-mining, but this is very interesting.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Question: Why are so many people convinced Geno is one of the most likely newcomers now? Over Waluigi? OVER TOAD?
Because both were deconfirmed. Waluigi through Assist Trophies and Toad though being more prominent in Peach's moveset.

I mean I know we got Ridley but he's a long running recurring character that's owned by Nintendo, he's been in almost every single Metroid game AND cameoed in every single Smash. Geno is a one off character from a 20 year old spinoff game with no direct sequel, nobody outside of Smash speculation and SMRPG fans would even onow who he is. I think the Mii costume is perfect and will likely return, and I think that's the best case scenario. I'm not trying to generate salt but the idea that he's suddenly the Mario frontrunner in a game with limited newcomers is... weird.
In my mind, the only characters who are arguably more likely than Geno at this point are Captain Toad (he's visually dinstinct enough to be counted as different than Toad in the case of speculation) and Paper Mario.

But calling him the frontrunner is definitely an exaggeration.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why are so many people convinced Geno is one of the most likely newcomers now? Over Waluigi? OVER TOAD?
Because Geno is the only characters that WE KNOW was considered for both Brawl and Smash 4 from Sakurai's own words.
And with him bringing back EVERYONE and playing his Yugioh card "Ridley The forbidden one", people think he will probably go out of his way to please fan and try things he wanted to achieve before, Geno being one of those things.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I feel like you're attempting to argue a completely different point than the one I make. I don't believe for a second the size of a video game characters chest matters here (though, for the record, I do prefer the new model). I just don't think a breast reduction counts as censorship in any reasonable context, regardless of the reasons. She's wearing the exact same clothes and doing the exact same things.
I apologize then

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Wouldn't that guy be talking about THIS waddle dee amiibo?

View attachment 148315

Specially if is called "Waddle Dee" and not "Bandana Dee"

yes if im undestanding it correctly some amiibo had placeholders for "future" amiibos with the same name/character (in the way mario/wedding mario/smash mario all function as the same amiibo) and smash amiibos that had multiple amiibos worked this way.

daisy had that same kind of data and waluig did not so this poster assumed she may have a future smash amiibo planned and waluigi did not....well here we are with daisy in and waluigi deconfirmed thats a pretty crazy prediction based on some actual evidence.

what other characters amiibo data was similar to daisy where the character only had one amiibo out but data for future amiibo?

waddle dee.

Pakky

Smash Hero
yes if im undestanding it correctly some amiibo had placeholders for "future" amiibos with the same name/character (in the way mario/wedding mario/smash mario all function as the same amiibo) and smash amiibos that had multiple amiibos worked this way.

daisy had that same kind of data and waluig did not so this poster assumed she may have a future smash amiibo planned and waluigi did not....well here we are with daisy in and waluigi deconfirmed thats a pretty crazy prediction based on some actual evidence.

what other characters amiibo data was similar to daisy where the character only had one amiibo out but data for future amiibo?

waddle dee.
Welp all I REALLY need is Rool and I'm set.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think snake is going to be the only gunner we're going to get (minus Samus and Mii but they don't really count). I think Nintendo would sooner take Skyrim dude before Doom guy in smash.

What about Banjo and Kazooie, their a much more likely Microsoft rep aren't they?
Microsoft seems to want nothing to do with Banjo Kazooie. BK's 20th anniversary is coming up in just a few weeks and at E3 Microsoft had... nothing. Master Cheif would be the mascot that they want to promote with the upcoming Halo Infinite and Halo's sheer popularity and significance. Also, while Banjo Kazooie would please most of us here as hardcore Nintendo fans, Master Cheif would reach a much, much broader age and overall demographic range. Banjo Kazooie would mostly excite people who had an N64, while Master Cheif would get most everyone between a 3rd grader and a 30-year-old even more hyped than BK.

Zeox

Smash Champion

waddle dee.
Alright, I finally get it, but I wouldn't call it a comfirmation, you never know, on one hand, I can totally see Bandana dee in smash at this point, but on the other, it could be new star allies amiibos or just a mistake in the code.
Remember Shovel Knight, an amiibo doesn't confirms the character.
But, with this info, I will say that his chance has increased a lot, specially with dedede not using more waddle dees.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Microsoft seems to want nothing to do with Banjo Kazooie. BK's 20th anniversary is coming up in just a few weeks and at E3 Microsoft had... nothing. Master Cheif would be the mascot that they want to promote with the upcoming Halo Infinite and Halo's sheer popularity and significance. Also, while Banjo Kazooie would please most of us here as hardcore Nintendo fans, Master Cheif would reach a much, much broader age and overall demographic range. Banjo Kazooie would mostly excite people who had an N64, while Master Cheif would get most everyone between a 3rd grader and a 30-year-old even more hyped than BK.
And yet they're gonna remake Battletoads.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Geno has a chance because of sakurai bias (and popularity).

On Zero Suit Samus, I would like the shoes better if they Didn't look to tacked on.
samus.png

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Alright, I finally get it, but I wouldn't call it a comfirmation, you never know, on one hand, I can totally see Bandana dee in smash at this point, but on the other, it could be new star allies amiibos or just a mistake in the code.
Remember Shovel Knight, an amiibo doesn't confirms the character.
But, with this info, I will say that his chance has increased a lot, specially with dedede not using more waddle dees.
true but it confirms that there were no plans for a further waluigi amiibos and yet there were plans for future daisy amiibos... we now know daisy is getting a smash amiibo and the other character who had an amiibo out but data for future amiibos is waddle dee.

it does only confirm waddle dee is getting another future amiibo but i think its a prtty safe bet that like daisy his amiibo is for smash.

if nothing else id say this puts waddle dee in the lead for the most likely next newcomer.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Because both were deconfirmed. Waluigi through Assist Trophies and Toad though being more prominent in Peach's moveset. In my mind, the only characters who are arguably more likely than Geno at this point are Captain Toad (he's visually dinstinct enough to be counted as different than Toad in the case of speculation) and Paper Mario. But calling him the frontrunner is definitely an exaggeration.
Tbh I don’t think there’s a Mario frontrunner right now. Captain Toad/Paper Mario/Geno are the only huge choices left now that Daisy has hit the big time and Waluigi got double disrespected, and it doesn’t seem to me like one is more anticipated than the other (between those three...there’s probably a big difference when others like Goomba and Lawful are added)
Master Chief has literally nothing to do with Nintendo outside of a cancelled DS game. As fun of an idea as it’d be for him to join, Banjo Kazooie makes way more sense as a Rare/Microsoft rep (even Steve makes more sense than the Chief); besides, Microsoft already wants BK to join Smash so why wouldn’t that be taken to advantage

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You're just proving their point.
And yet I'm not.

When was the last time Battletoads got a game? 1994.

That means the last time they got a game, Banjo-Kazooie didn't even exist yet.

If Microsoft's goal was to only use stuff that's already relevant and popular, that Battletoads game would be going against that very philosophy and wouldn't be made in the first place. Instead, we'd just get more Killer Instinct DLC because that **** works.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
If not Shadow, I think Classic Sonic would be great as an echo fighter.
while i llike the idea of classic sonic a lot.. i think that shadow is way more likely exclusive due to proportions.
When you whine about censorship for a slight reduction in bust size, I have no problem calling it crying.

On The BotW Champions.
I never thought thay had/have a chance in the first place.
  • I find them lacking in moveset potential.
  • They're a group of four with about equal importance and comparable popularity. It's no clear frontrunner.
  • He didn't add earlier one-offs and they mostly had better potential and wasn't competing with characters from their own game.
I like the new ZSS, although the jet heels still feel way off (mostly considering that is the only place samus got that tech if maybe instead of a "gun" she had an arm gun, like boba fett, or deadshot to execute whips and shots, both things would feel more natural, in fact it could be her grapple beam withouth the suit, and altered for more whiplike skills)

regarding the champions, yeah, feels that its chances arent the best now, but i disgress that they lack moveset potential. Mipha is already interesting just by the fact that sh could easily inherit BOTW lances moveset, that coupled with high mobility water attack, an ice mobility impairing projectile, and a subdued healing mechanic, certainly could end in a very interesting mid distance fighter.

And Urbosa could the sword and shield in a interesting fashion, use a variety of multi inputs attack with some tight armor frames tossed inbetween, have her attacks move her along it victims (basically, everytime she attacks she steps) to give it a dancer feel, and finally a couple of chargeable electrical AoEs tho spice things up.

Regarding captain toad, i dont think that his chances are affected by toads in the princesses moveset. still, i dont think his chances are high either...

I feel that we wont have more than 6 completely new newcomers (including Ridley and Inklings) and i really hope that development time goes to stuff like adventure mode, or better singleplayer stuff.. as for predictions.

I think that the newcomers will be:
Inklings
Ridley
Ashley
Either Dixie Kong, or King Krool with dixie as an echo.
Simon Belmont.
A popular western 3rd party character (Rayman, Crash, Steve)

inkling and ridley are well... confirmed.
there is a high chance that dk gets some love too, and depends of the ballot results.
Ashley feels like she could easily pull off a "Japanese Ridley" as being super requested in japan, or something like that.
Simon belmont would be a Retro pick, a retired gaming icon and somewhat a left field pick. plus Castlevania was integral to teh development of platformers back in the "formative" days.
Rayman, Crash or Steve... all have their pros, all are somewhat iconic. Rayman probably being the less iconic, but ubisoftxnintendo, Crash, although unlikely since its boost in popularity is recent, and steve... is steve.

another fighter we may be sleeping on is Isabelle.

I Don't think that this game will have very WTF characters, or retro picks (unless you consider Simon belmont both)

As for want, i think my more wanted list would be:

Simon Belmont
Ridley (yaaaay)
Lycanrock/Mimikyu
Solaire of Astoria/ Dark souls rep.
Dixie Kong.
Inklings.
(with honorable mention Ashley, she could be a very interesting character)

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

waddle dee.
So going by this, technically wouldn't all other characters who aren't like Dee or Daisy be deconfirmed? Like since for example since Toad didn't have future amiibo data, would it be safe to conclude that CT wouldn't be playable?

Roberk

Smash Champion
And yet they're gonna remake Battletoads.
How is this relevant? Yeah sure, they are remaking Battletoads. How does that discredit Master Cheif and Halo being so massive? And them not doing anything with Banjo Kazooie? I was directly comparing Banjo Kazooie's chances to Master Cheif's stances, Battletoads getting a remake while BK still gets nothing doesn't change much. Putting some focus on older stuff doesn't change the massive focus they'd want to put into their prime mascot, Master Cheif.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
true but it confirms that there were no plans for a further waluigi amiibos and yet there were plans for future daisy amiibos... we now know daisy is getting a smash amiibo and the other character who had an amiibo out but data for future amiibos is waddle dee.

it does only confirm waddle dee is getting another future amiibo but i think its a prtty safe bet that like daisy his amiibo is for smash.

if nothing else id say this puts waddle dee in the lead for the most likely next newcomer.
Maybe this Mr. Saturn would actually be the placeholder for bandana dee? it would totally fit
ddd.php.png

monadoboy

Smash Lord
And yet I'm not.

When was the last time Battletoads got a game? 1994.

That means the last time they got a game, Banjo-Kazooie didn't even exist yet.

If Microsoft's goal was to only use stuff that's already relevant and popular, that Battletoads game would be going against that very philosophy and wouldn't be made in the first place. Instead, we'd just get more Killer Instinct DLC because that **** works.
Wasn't battletoads a massive meme a while ago?
Edit: Sheesh, that was eleven years ago, disregard this.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I definitely lost faith in getting a Champion once it was shown Breath of the Wild only inspired Link and Sheik's designs.

I don't think we'll be getting too many more newcomers. I see, at most, five more newcomers and three more echoes. That'd give us seven full newcomers, three new echoes, and ten in total.

I'm thinking Captain Toad, Decidueye, Simon Belmont, Dixie Kong, and Isabelle. For Echoes, I could see...lots of people, really. Glass Joe could be neat.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This speculation period really is going to feel like an epilogue to a long, great story. With this game being an ultimate reunion of all previously playable characters, the inclusion of the hit new Nintendo star of this decade and the recent reveal of a character who has the biggest impact on Smash speculation and anticipation for years, the roster we have now really feels like a satisfying conclusion to an era for me. It truly is satisfying.

That being said, if there is one potential newcomer I'm feeling more and more confident on as time goes on, it is King K. Rool. I feel more and more like he is going to happen.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How is this relevant? Yeah sure, they are remaking Battletoads. How does that discredit Master Cheif and Halo being so massive? And them not doing anything with Banjo Kazooie? I was directly comparing Banjo Kazooie's chances to Master Cheif's stances, Battletoads getting a remake while BK still gets nothing doesn't change much. Putting some focus on older stuff doesn't change the massive focus they'd want to put into their prime mascot, Master Cheif.
It's not relevant to why Halo is successful, but it does counter the point that Banjo got shafted simply because Master Chief is bigger and more popular.

After all, if they only cared about Halo, why revive an IP that hasn't seen a single game in over 20 years?

There's more to Banjo not getting anything that just "he's not as big as Master Chief", especially considering the fact that they're made by two different companies (343 Industries for Halo, Rare for Banjo/Battletoads)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom