• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Good lord people, we have SIX MONTHS before release, do you HONESTLY think we aren't going to get a tasty serving of newcomers within that time frame? I can understand being disappointed by not seeing anyone besides Woomy and Barney, but we have SO much time, don't go getting critical of the roster yet.

Also needless to say I screamed like a girl.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

R.O.B.'s down throw apparently now buries opponents. This is probably the only one I have ever seen that can do that.
Smash 4 Lucas dthrow buries opponents as part of the animation, but they are launched out before the throw finishes, so, that does make R.O.B.’s new Dthrow effect unique. I wonder if that’s a buff or a nerf, though (RIP Beep-Boop...)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Apparently a GameFAQs user by the name of loz18 leaked highly accurate details about Smash Bros. Ultimate yesterday. I don't know if this was brought to everyone's attention, but I compiled important things he said.
If you want to see what he said for yourself, start from post #67 here.
All characters from past game make a comeback. Roster is 60+ characters not counting newcomers beside Inklings.
Ganondorfs standard model is Ocarina of Time and looks noticeably thinner. His upsmash changed from kick to a sword attack. Mario’s alternate costume include Cappy. Wavedashing is present. Gameplay feels heavier, not floaty at all. Inklings UpB is SuperJump, DownB is bomb attack, DownSmash is TriSlosher on both sides, B attack is Tentatek spray with ink. Ink gets depleted and you have to hold B to recharge. When powershielding a physical attack the characters parry.
Multiple airdodges still in game. Demo includes around 12 characters with Snake, Bayonetta and Ryu.
When you first play the demo, it automatically directs you to select a stage first, then the characters.
Demo has around 10-12 characters. Geno is not in the demo but we don’t know about newcomers. Some higher up people already played with unannounced characters.

Current demo doesn’t even have a full name. Just the same Super Smash Bros. Splash screen we’ve seen so far. There’s no menu, as soon as you press A it’ll launch you to select a stage and then the characters.

My biggest take away from it is that it absolutely “feels” different from Smash 4. A cool effect is when Inklings use B to shoot ink, it splatters part of the stage as well as the enemy character which wears off after some seconds. Tried to test if it has any effect on speed but doesn’t seem like it.
She has that Wii U Link vibe. Realistic movement, cartoony look. There is an alternate costume for BotW Zelda.
To summarize:
  • Wavedashing IS BACK
  • "Higher up people have played with unannounced characters," meaning that besides Ridley, there are at least 2 newcomers (Simon may/may not be included in this).
  • Zelda has a BOTW alt.
Not much, but everything he said is correct. He likely had access to the demo early alongside a small amount of insider information.

Last edited:

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
Palutena seems to have had her neutral b replaced with one of her custom moves.
https://youtu.be/0yD_B4ZkdME?t=6s
They didn't show any of her other custom specials so it is safe to say that it has been replaced.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Apparently a GameFAQs user by the name of loz18 leaked highly accurate details about Smash Bros. Ultimate yesterday. I don't know if this was brought to everyone's attention, but I compiled important things he said.
To summarize:
  • Wavedashing IS BACK
  • "Higher up people have played with unannounced characters," meaning that besides Ridley, there are at least 2 newcomers (Simon may/may not be included in this).
  • Zelda has a BOTW alt.
Not much, but everything he said is correct. He likely had access to the demo early alongside a small amount of insider information.
He... He mentioned Geno...

AAAAAA

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Enjoy your gigantic crow anti-Ridley guys.

Bomberman is an assist trophy though. God it hurts lol.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
R.O.B.'s down throw apparently now buries opponents. This is probably the only one I have ever seen that can do that.
Giga Bowser's d-throw can bury fighters in Brawl and Smash 3DS / Wii U, but only to those who were caught in the crossfire; the grabbed target doesn't get buried.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
This Smash looks absolutely phenomenal, it is the ultimate fanservice Smash game I have always dreamed of. It honestly feels like I'm dreaming right now, it is that surreal. I can without a doubt say if this is to be the final Smash title, the game Sakurai closes the franchise with, I would be satisfied. This is a fantastic finale and ultimate tribute to the series.

As I have been inactive on SmashBoards for quite some time, ever since 2015 to be exact, when the character DLC train for Smash 4 ended. I have been waiting to return to this forum for character speculation for the new upcoming Smash. But with Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I feel it has finally has fulfilled my dream for the ideal Smash title, and thus, leaves me little to no reason to be a part of speculation discussions here anymore. Nearly every single character I wanted are now in the roster, I have very few characters left I still want in Smash at this point (and they are characters with very little chances anyway, such as Lip and Takamaru) I know some of you might be a bit concerned that there aren't gonna be many newcomers this time around. But for me personally, this is the closest there is to the Smash game I have always wanted.

It has been a really great ride, I really enjoyed my time on here during the Brawl speculation era and Smash 4 speculation era. But I can now finally take my leave satisfied. I wish all of you the best of luck moving forward, and hopefully you'll see your character wishes come to fruition one day, whenever there is a new Smash title!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why should Dr. Mario be an echo fighter? I'm pretty sure you have to copy ALL of the moves to be an echo fighter.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So uh...

...are we just gonna ignore Dr. Mario isn't considered an Echo Fighter?
I imagine much like Pichu and Young Link he's seen as too different to be viewed as one. Echo fighters are essentially just glorified alternate costumes with some minor animation and attack tweaks with no actually different moves

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I might order this by series later, but these seem to be all the confirmed stages bar a few that are very similar or only appear on the site that I listed at the bottom. Forgive me if I made a mistake, I've been up for 18 hours, and holy crap there are a lot of past stages. :p

1. Battlefield
  2. Final Destination
  3. Dreamland 64
  4. Saffron City 64
  5. Yoshi's Island 64
  6. Kongo Jungle/Falls
  7. Yoshi's Story
  8. Peach's Castle Melee
  9. Temple
  10. Fourside
  11. Onett
  12. Big Blue
  13. Mushroom Kingdom 2
  14. Great Bay
  15. Corneria
  16. Luigi's Mansion
  17. Mario Circuit (Brawl)
  18. 75m
  19. Spear Pillar
  20. Bridge of Eldin
  21. Skyworld
  22. Shadow Moses Island
  23. Castle Siege
  24. The Summit
  25. Frigate Orpheon
  26. Lylat Cruise
  27. Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1
  28. WarioWare, Inc
  29. Distant Planet
  30. Green Hill Zone
  31. 3D Land
  32. Spirit Train
  33. Unova Pokemon League
  34. Prism Tower
  35. Magicant
  36. Arena Ferox
  37. Tortimer Island
  38. Boxing Ring
  39. Gaur Plain
  40. Balloon Fight
  41. Living Room
  42. Find Mii
  43. Tomodachi Life
  44. Wily Castle
  45. Suzaku Castle
  46. Midgar
  47. Umbra Clock Tower
  48. Skyloft
  49. Mario Circuit 8
  50. Colosseum
  51. Kalos Pokemon League
  52. Mario Galaxy
  53. Wii Fit Studio
  54. Mushroom Kingdom U
  55. Great Cave Offensive
  56. Wrecking Crew
  57. Pilotwings
  58. Town & City
  59. New Donk City
  60. Great Plateau Temple
  61. Moray Towers
  62. Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  63. Pac-Land
  64. Pictochat 1/2
  65. Pokemon Stadium 1/2
  66. Flat Zone 2/X

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
I know that it's probably been talked to death, but I am unbelievably excited for directional airdodges and the return of wavedashing. Seriously, that made my whole E3 presentation; I'm hyped for the faster, more technical gameplay we've been missing :) .

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said there won't be that many new characters. I'm scared

I hope Dixie Kong at least turns into an Echo Fighter. I think this might have actually increased her chances a bit so that's good.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Wait a moment, now that I think about it.

They combined Palutena's Reflect and Counter into one move.

Does this mean Custom Moves are not back? Because they didn't talk about them.
I hope they are not back, would be a waste of time.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I know that it's probably been talked to death, but I am unbelievably excited for directional airdodges and the return of wavedashing. Seriously, that made my whole E3 presentation; I'm hyped for the faster, more technical gameplay we've been missing :) .
Was wavedashing confirmed?

Because if it wasn't, I'm sure that air dodging to the ground will give you landing lag.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
So regular link had remotely detonated bombs now, I assume Tink and Yink don't. So what separates Tink and Yink from each other gameplay wise?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I imagine much like Pichu and Young Link he's seen as too different to be viewed as one. Echo fighters are essentially just glorified alternate costumes with some minor animation and attack tweaks with no actually different moves
In the case of Lucina, her status as an echo fighter would seem strange when you consider that her sword is more balanced than Marth's sword.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sakurai said there won't be that many new characters. I'm scared

I hope Dixie Kong at least turns into an Echo Fighter. I think this might have actually increased her chances a bit so that's good.
He also said there wouldn't be that many DLC characters, and we still got seven of them.

I wouldn't expect a massive amount, but I could see us getting four or five more.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Was wavedashing confirmed?

Because if it wasn't, I'm sure that air dodging to the ground will give you landing lag.
Wavedashing isn't confirmed, but was leaked by someone who's gotten everything right so far (see my earlier post about loz18), so I'd say that it's in.

Wow, did they really drop the ball on Zelda's design. Just.... wow
Bruh Zelda's design is amazing. Just.... wow

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What do you mean..? She's A Link Between Worlds Zelda. Still a recent game, and an incredible one at that. I like it more than BotW personally. I'm in love with the new-look Zelda. Sorry if you're disappointed with it, though.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I for one am really happy with it. The fact that they chose to represent different zelda games with each character is great, and I also just like this design

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Look at the website. Ridley is number 65 but they say 66 characters. Looks like Simon Belmont reveal is soon.
Check that again it says Pokemon trainer is one and that Echo fighters are counted separately. There are three echo fighters (Daisy, Lucina and Dark Pit)
So 65 - 2 Pokemon (They are counted in that 65 total) = 63 + 3 Echo Characters (They aren't included in that 65 total) = 66. Check the site if you think I am wrong.

Guys, Nintendo spent half of their E3 on this game. They aren't making silly mistakes on their website like including a photo of a newcomer or slipping how many characters are in the game. Still hoping for another reveal at the invitational but I am totally happy with just Ridley for now!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Is it me or is Villager's pocket WAY FASTER than in Smash 4?

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be best to take what Sakurai said at face value. We really shouldn't expect too many newcomers, and that's okay. I think three or four more is reasonable, considering the amount of time and effort it likely took to build a Smash Bros. roster with every single previous character. This is still the greatest Smash line up we've ever had, regardless of the number of newcomers.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Krystal's an AT this time around, which while disapppointing, Is a step up from the last 2 Smash games. It also fills me with a desire to push for her inclusion as a playable newcomer even harder for the next Smash Bros game.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Good lord people, we have SIX MONTHS before release, do you HONESTLY think we aren't going to get a tasty serving of newcomers within that time frame? I can understand being disappointed by not seeing anyone besides Woomy and Barney, but we have SO much time, don't go getting critical of the roster yet.

Also needless to say I screamed like a girl.
The two characters I wanted most are AT's. While I'm not critical of the roster (cause yay Wolf at least), or mad at all who got in, I am pretty sure that there are no newcomers that they could possibly show off that could grab my attention now. The only characters I want now that could have even the slightest chance are Shantae, Sora, Amaterasu, Lycanroc, Gardevoir, and Zeraora and they're not looking likely due to the limited cast of newcomers were getting.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Man, its gonna take a long time to unlock all the characters if the starting roster is the original 12.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Man, I did not believe when someone told me 5mash had every smash character available. When I saw the stuff though, I was shocked.

This is a good year for Smash fans.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
In the case of Lucina, her status as an echo fighter would seem strange when you consider that her sword is more balanced than Marth's sword.
But it's not like she has any different attacks, it's just that the properties on her attacks have changed, she still ultimately has the same attacks as and plays a whole lot like marth

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I JUST WATCHED THE E3 TRAILER FOR SMASH ULTIMATE AND OH MY GOD!!!! THANK YOU DADDY SAKURAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom