• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Man, its gonna take a long time to unlock all the characters if the starting roster is the original 12.
They said that they switched up the process of unlocking characters. Hopefully they do something like a gauntlet of unlockable characters if you've unlocked multiple characters at once.

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
I think this game is going to emphasize DLC alot more than Smash 4. I'm expecting a total of around 13-14 newcomers period, but now I'm only thinking we're going to get around 5-6 more in the base game, with the rest as DLC.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So uh...

...are we just gonna ignore Dr. Mario isn't considered an Echo Fighter?
Dr. Mario doesn't count as one, since his attacks receive a 1.12x damage boost, and he's slower than Mario as well. There are no mobility differences between Pit and Dark Pit, along with Marth and Lucina.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Check that again it says Pokemon trainer is one and that Echo fighters are counted separately. There are three echo fighters (Daisy, Lucina and Dark Pit)
So 65 - 2 Pokemon (They are counted in that 65 total) = 63 + 3 Echo Characters (They aren't included in that 65 total) = 66. Check the site if you think I am wrong.

Guys, Nintendo spent half of their E3 on this game. They aren't making silly mistakes on their website like including a photo of a newcomer or slipping how many characters are in the game. Still hoping for another reveal at the invitational but I am totally happy with just Ridley for now!
No, I just looked and it adds up to one missing despite what you said. Everyone is accounted for, echo (counting as same number with e right after) or part of a transformation character (Pokemon Trainer), etc and totals 65.

To reiterate, I understand where you're trying to go but it's obviously not how the fighter page itself is counting the fighters. Ridley is 65, there is no 66 listed beside him.

Last edited:

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
I hope that I am not drunk but from the treehouse footage I can see that Marth's lag on his aerials (especially dair) has been reduced.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I hope that I am not drunk but from the treehouse footage I can see that Marth's lag on his aerials (especially dair) has been reduced.
That seems to be the case for a lot of characters. For example, Jigglypuff's Up-Air looks like it can now pretty reliably combo into rest, which is a godsend.

D

Deleted member

Well...shoot. I was wrong about Ridley, lol. I'm happy I was wrong, though! I adore Metroid, so Ridley is 100% hype for me! So excited to play as him and the Inklings! :D

I do wonder what this means for Simon, though...

There's a lot I wanna talk about with all the info we got, but I'll probably save that for another post. For now, I'll just say that this is shaping up to be the best Smash yet in my book, and I absolutely love the theme of the game, as it's pretty similar to what I wanted; the focus being on retooling and improving the characters we already have, with the bonus of everyone in the series coming back! It's insane, ha ha!

So, SO happy with how this is shaping up. This game plus Tales of Vesperia: DE have saved what would have been a really disappointing E3 for me.

Now, how many days away is December 7th...

JakeZSR

Smash Rookie
Apparently a GameFAQs user by the name of loz18 leaked highly accurate details about Smash Bros. Ultimate yesterday. I don't know if this was brought to everyone's attention, but I compiled important things he said.
If you want to see what he said for yourself, start from post #67 here.
To summarize:
  • Wavedashing IS BACK
  • "Higher up people have played with unannounced characters," meaning that besides Ridley, there are at least 2 newcomers (Simon may/may not be included in this).
  • Zelda has a BOTW alt.
Not much, but everything he said is correct. He likely had access to the demo early alongside a small amount of insider information.
According to a few people who've tried out the game, wave dashing is not back. Instead there is some form a of "windup". Apparently wave landing is also possible but has a ton of lag on landing.

Sources:
https://twitter.com/PG_SamuraiPanda/status/1006622730404311040
https://twitter.com/tafokints/status/1006618505741922304

Hopefully this isn't true and wavedashing is possible, but it's hard to say for certain until more people get their hands on the game.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Important early notes about mechanics from tafo:
https://twitter.com/tafokints/status/1006619233189416960
https://twitter.com/tafokints/status/1006618505741922304
https://twitter.com/tafokints/statu...o/iframe/twitter.min.html#1006620040383197184
https://twitter.com/tafokints/status/1006623163227107328
Wavedashing is a no, Wavelanding is possible but has lag, Gravity is altogether more heavy and it's easier to string combos than in smash 4. Dash Dancing is ok but not great, DACUS is still gone.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Sheriff deconfirmed. A popular retro pick.

So no Takamaru or Sheriff huh. Hanafuda it is then :p

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
They said that they switched up the process of unlocking characters. Hopefully they do something like a gauntlet of unlockable characters if you've unlocked multiple characters at once.
Yeah, they said unlocking characters would be fairly quick if I remember correctly. I'll probably use Yoshi or Fox to unlock the characters until I get to Mewtwo. (Unless Mewtwo is a starter. Oh how wish...)

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Dead meme, but someone had to do this at some point...

Marvel: "Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history"
Nintendo: "SHUT UP AND OPEN YOUR EYES"

1528833417230.png

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Not going to lie I was losing it throughought the entire thing. Now that I've regained my sanity, I can say this wasn't at all what I was expecting. I thought Nintendo was gonna say, "Here's a new fighter, stay tuned!" No. Instead we got every single veteran and loads of new content! Holy moly. xD

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think Pac's U-Tilt got changed to a straight punch instead of the weird headbang thing.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me, did they say DIRECTIONAL AIR DODGING?! Does this mean Wavedashing?!

Edit: Pardon me. I read above and found that wavedashing is a no. However, this is still really cool.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I notice Duster is the only Mother 2 & 3 party member not shown in the trailer. I think he'll be a new assist trophy.

Also I love how the Zelda character's designs are diversified now instead of just going for the latest game.

And I'm glad to see an Earthbound character in the demo and boxart.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
"Smash Bros. Ultimate"

Boy, they weren't kidding.

I am SO STOKED about this! Squirtle! Ridley! So many returning stages! They really went out of their way for the fans here, and it shows!

Now, to somehow wait until the 7th of December...middle of exams.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't understand the panic over wavedashing, it's like I can hear all of Melee players smashing a big "nut" button. :072:

blackghost

Smash Champion
the game is straight up faster than 4.
also bayo recovery frames were adjusted i think. its hard to be sure.
ridely is in looks great.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Man, its gonna take a long time to unlock all the characters if the starting roster is the original 12.
Sakurai said that they would make it more dynamic, plus some people are guessing that the base character and their echoes version are unlocked at the same time, so that would make the process faster.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai said that they would make it more dynamic, plus some people are guessing that the base character and their echoes version are unlocked at the same time, so that would make the process faster.
So would that mean you'd have to fight two characters in a row, a 1v2 with you getting two stocks, or just them tagging along?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What is Sheik's design from? Inspired by? It's neat for sure.
Looks a bit to me like the Twilight Princess version we've had in Smash. Would make sense if each Zelda character is a different game: Link - BotW, Zelda - ALBW, Dorf - OoT, YL - OoT/MM, TL - WW. That leaves nobody with TP.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Blown away by what we got, truly smash bros ultimate I'm in shock everyone is back! game looks fantastic and I have tons to say but I cant type it all now.

I am curious whos been deconfirmed as assist trophies, ive seen a few but i keep hearing about more so i guess im just waiting until all this info is compiled somewhere by the end of this.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Rewatching the Smash portion of the Direct, I just saw Pokemon Trainer can switch Pokemon midair now :love: I'm in love. this character is by all means an improvement of his previous iteration. I'm blown away.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
View attachment 147855So, this is Ganondorf. Very interesting how Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are all based off of different games, shattering even more continuity. He looks like a serious threat though.
Sakurai plz nerf 'dorf. It's time for him to become a threat

Guys Tingle seems to be absent from the Great Bay stage, and we haven't seen him as an Assist Trophy. Could it be?View attachment 147856 Is it possible that he's playable?
I swear to God if that ever happens you're going to be the first person I'm kicking ass onto

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Blown away by what we got, truly smash bros ultimate I'm in shock everyone is back! game looks fantastic and I have tons to say but I cant type it all now.

I am curious whos been deconfirmed as assist trophies, ive seen a few but i keep hearing about more so i guess im just waiting until all this info is compiled somewhere by the end of this.
So far, it's Bomberman, Waluigi, and Midna.

Love the way there handling this. Also, I'm surprised they made Ridley's size work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom