• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
But it's not like she has any different attacks, it's just that the properties on her attacks have changed, she still ultimately has the same attacks as and plays a whole lot like marth
Do we really have to have the tipper vs balanced sword gameplay argument right as the new Smash has been revealed? Give it a break, Lucina is fine as a clone because the balanced blade provides a different style of gameplay to Marth's moveset.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
When I heard that wavedashing was supposedly in, I actually almost cried in joy. When it was deconfirmed, my heart sank. I thought I couldn't get dissapointed anymore. I shielded myself emotionally, and just.... this. I think Sakurai should honestly consider just letting Wavedashing be in instead of stubbornly clinging to his olf-fashioned mindset.
Jesus man it's just a glitch from a 2001 video game, calm down.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Just because Toad the species is in Peach and Daisy's playstyle it doesn't rule out Captain Toad.

He's still a possibility.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So wavedashing is out then? Dang. Ah well Luigi would have been a monster with it anyway. This game is amazing otherwise.

I remember saying Directional inputs for Monado would be a great idea. Daisy is in....every veteran. PICHU ISN'T AN ECHO OF PIKACHU! I might die from excitement. Hopefully this isn't everything though. Not that I'm complaining but we have six months. My hype will fall off somewhat by the time December arrives.

It looks like every stage may be back too, though I still haven't seen a few.

EDIT: Also, calling it now. Little Mac is going to be a monster. Directional Airdash that snaps ledge AND can Up Special after his Side Special? Oml.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not gonna lie, seeing the only character who I genuinely did not want to see in the roster relegated to the role of Assist Trophy yet again brought me a great feeling of schadenfreude and vindication. :demon:
Beyond that, holy ****, do these stages look good! Seeing the likes of Great Bay, Princess Peach's Castle, Spear Pillar, and Fourside all returning and remastered in HD just makes me so happy, and I'd be elated to see Poke Floats and Fountain of Dreams join the ranks of the forgotten stages making a comeback. Now here's hoping that at least one of my most wanted newcomers gets in, as I'm not expecting very many more newcomers in the base roster and what we have so far looks pretty good already.

blackghost

Smash Champion
people cancry about wavedashing not being there and choose to ignore the skill mechanic of the perfect block. its third strike parry. it looks very skill based.

rex and pyra would warrant their own trailer in a month or so. as would springman i think.

honestly of all charcters to clone peach is a good choice. highly technical and changing a few of her mechanics could be a very different character.

did anyone else notice th eblast zone indicator? game shows you how close you are to dying with a diagram in the corner.

also bayo got buffed and its hilarious.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Apparently, Cloud loses Limit after 15 seconds, according to Tweek (well, he says he loses it at least).

Here:

Zelda also apparently is not left in freefall after Din's Fire.

Last edited:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Yo Little Mac is no longer helpless after using side B, praise Sakurai.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Time for the Illuminati conspiration of the days.
In the Characters Introduction video, only a little short amount of characters doesn't show their Final Smash, usually those characters are the one who previously had long Final Smash that will need to be changed for the new "quick Final Smash" take from this game, like Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, captain falcon... However, there one oddities to this, and it's Robin, no news about his Final Smash with Chrom, yet it wasn't a long Final Smash since it was like Cloud's or Ike's one who are still in the game.

So, my illuminaty conspiracy let me believe that, Chrom might get in the game, as an Echoes or as his own characters and Robin might get a new Final Smash...

Lemme believe that my most wanted first party might get in....

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So, here's some food for thought.

Smash Ultimate was clearly planned from the start to bring back everyone, for better or worse. So any newcomers they chose would've been picked with knowledge in mind that every veteran would be back.

Knowing that...who becomes a more interesting option for a Pokémon newcomer? Another fighter with plant powers next to Ivysaur? Or Smash's first earthbender?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Splatoon devs sharing new information about the game post tournement.
Likely also to be an announcement to smash?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Just waiting here for changes to Mewtwo and Wolf.

EDIT: Wait, is Wolf even available in the invitational? I know Mewtwo was but not sure about Wolf.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Smash Ultimate was clearly planned from the start to bring back everyone, for better or worse. So any newcomers they chose would've been picked with knowledge in mind that every veteran would be back.

Knowing that...who becomes a more interesting option for a Pokémon newcomer? Another fighter with plant powers next to Ivysaur? Or Smash's first earthbender?
Gimme Mimikyu, I want to see a trailer of it scaring the heck out of Pikachu, Pichu and the Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Wait, really? That's a bingo point for me, I called her not getting nerfed lol.
she got the universal buff of movement speed everyone got and her witchtime has an AoE. its in the video on the new smahsbros website. one character triggers her witch time and a different chacter is slowed that is near her.
i havent seen her do back to back abk tho yet.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Can someone hit me up with the tournament time? Nintendo's E3 website is bugging out for me.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I think we won't get another Pokemon tbh

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
So guess being a solo Zard won’t be possible anymore.
It's still kinda possible as long as you don't hit the "change pokemon" button. The Pokemon won't have the stamina mechanic anymore so you can play as the 'Zard for as long as you want.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I still can’t get over how bittersweet this roster is turning out to be, every veteran comes back with major upgrades, Ridley finally gets in, but at the cost of very few newcomers and so many popular requested characters already being deconfirmed right off the bat. (Waluigi, Takamaru, Lyn, Bomberman, Krystal etc)

Honestly, this damages a lot characters’ chances, so the newcomer list will be even tighter then it already was.

Speaking of which...I need change my signature now...

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I did not consider Ridley capable of coming as a newcomer because he had been in the previous versions as a boss at Super Smash Bros. Brawl and as a Stage Boss at Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

All I can say for sure is that stupid "we need a grass, fire, and water starter to complete thew trio" thing can die a tragic death. Not that I think Decidueye has less of a chance for it I'm just glad I don't have to read that argument anymore. Decidueye may actually have a better chance than he did before, because of Libre. Clearly that is influenced by Pokken more than gen 6 because Libre was popularized in Pokken. So that means Sakurai at least noticed that game.

Yo Little Mac is no longer helpless after using side B, praise Sakurai.
Apparently, Cloud loses Limit after 15 seconds, according to Tweek (well, he says he loses it at least).

Here:

Zelda also apparently is not left in freefall after Din's Fire.
Praise the ground Sakurai walks on, for he is too great for this world.

Also Pichu Side-Tilt stuns......so that's a thing.

Gimme Mimikyu, I want to see a trailer of it scaring the heck out of Pikachu, Pichu and the Pokemon Trainer.
Who wants to take bets on a Halloween reveal for either Decidueye or Mimikyu?

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So for my actual thoughts on this whole event:

It's amazing. Ultimate is already shaping up to be my favorite game in the franchise simply because all characters have returned (Pichu... I will finally main you again...) The newcomers they announced were great! It's cool to see Ridley finally make it in, and he looks fun to play as. I'm also happy we finally have Daisy (who I wasn't expecting at all, was wagering an AT role) as a Peach clone (which I actually don't mind considering I like playing as Peach anyway). And by goly, these stages look amazing!

Best part of the whole thing though his how much detail went into explaining the characters and their changes. Dr. Mario ain't even a clone anymore (screw yall who thought he should be an alt MWAHAHAHA!), Zelda and Ganondorf look like they're stronger now, I like how Mario now has Cappy, and my boi Dedede can inhale and spit out Gordos! From what little I've seen, Jigglypuff also seems to have been buffed, and Pokemon Trainer looks like he's fixed, thanks to the removal of stamina (and maybe type effectiveness? I don't remember if that was touched on).

Overall, fantastic presentation and definitely worth the wait. Gonna be buying this game, like, day 0 just like Super Mario Odyssey.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel bad for the Smashboards moderators.

''You mean we have to create 60 plus character threads?! Are you kidding me? In a day?!"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
lets see, it pretty cool that all the veteran are returning though there are some i would prefer didnt

im a little disappointed that its more of a focus on older stuff

and daisy can get lost

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Mac will rise up to top tier by not having the For Glory meme dumped on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom