• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
MAN! I know It's been a few hours, but I still can't cool down after the MEGATON! I'm loving the visuals, the music, the levels, ALL the charatcers, RIDLEY! SNAKE! They weren't lying, this is the Ultimate one.

Did NOT expect Daisy, but congrats to that certain individual that loves Daisy. Interested in who else will become an echo fighter down the line.

RIP Takumaru, Waluigi and Bomber Man.

Watching the tournament for more gameplay and maybe some extra fighters. This is gonna be a truly special game! Nintendo won E3 imo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel bad for the Smashboards moderators.

''You mean we have to create 60 plus character threads?! Are you kidding me? In a day?!"
Actually, the main thread people are using already in the Vet and Newcomer sections are treated as the "main stickied thread". So other than Xivii making a crapload of forums... it's not that bad.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Absolutely hate how it was revealed while I was at work, so I couldn't talk about it right at the moment. "FOMO" is real.

Here's pretty much my reaction:
z5.png

Really hoping we'll get a Super Mario Land stage for Daisy, like Chai or Muda Kingdom. Not an 8-bit GameBoy styled stage, but with new graphics.

I also wonder if we'll get revamps of EVERY old stage, like how we got every old character back.

And will Snake have his codecs back, but now for all the new characters?

So goddamn wild.
I don't know if any E3 down the line will be able to top this. Not just because of Smash, but because of Kingdom Hearts III.

----

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Will other people be able to try out Smash Bros Ultimate other than the people who signed up for the invitational?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ridley can use his special moves without flying so the Steenee Leak is officially fake.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm split.

Half of me loves all the veterans coming back
The other half is thirsting for newcomers

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So, remember when somebody suggested that Shulk could have a type of Monado where you can switch the arts by pressing the button, and then holding in a direction, and some other people and I doubted that it was a good idea? Sorry for doubting you. Because that's exactly what they did, and it looks good.

Also, during the current Smash Tournament match, a weird map showed up on screen when Bayo was launched offscreen that showed everyone's positions on the map. Cool!

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
So what are y'all thinking: will Ridley be trash tier or just hard to learn like Rosalina?

Last edited by a moderator:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Time for the Illuminati conspiration of the days.
In the Characters Introduction video, only a little short amount of characters doesn't show their Final Smash, usually those characters are the one who previously had long Final Smash that will need to be changed for the new "quick Final Smash" take from this game, like Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, captain falcon... However, there one oddities to this, and it's Robin, no news about his Final Smash with Chrom, yet it wasn't a long Final Smash since it was like Cloud's or Ike's one who are still in the game.

So, my illuminaty conspiracy let me believe that, Chrom might get in the game, as an Echoes or as his own characters and Robin might get a new Final Smash...

Lemme believe that my most wanted first party might get in....
Good luck. May your heart be your guiding key.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So, remember when somebody suggested that Shulk could have a type of Monado where you can switch the arts by pressing the button, and then holding in a direction, and some other people and I doubted that it was a good idea? Sorry for doubting you. Because that's exactly what they did, and it looks good.

Also, during the current Smash Tournament match, a weird map showed up on screen when Bayo was launched offscreen that showed everyone's positions on the map. Cool!
Another guy suggested it. I was the guy who argued it was a good idea for like two pages. They actually did a way better job than what I thought of. Sakurai and his team deserve mad props.

I'm half expecting the transformations to be mapped to taunt like someone else suggested at this point. We know they return for at least Pokemon Trainer but I don't remember seeing Flare Blitz or Rock Smash yet.

Meanwhile Zelda has both Din's Fire and her summon but we don't know for sure if she can transform yet. If anybody can confirm that would be amazing.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So, here's some food for thought.

Smash Ultimate was clearly planned from the start to bring back everyone, for better or worse. So any newcomers they chose would've been picked with knowledge in mind that every veteran would be back.

Knowing that...who becomes a more interesting option for a Pokémon newcomer? Another fighter with plant powers next to Ivysaur? Or Smash's first earthbender?
Give me the earthbending wolf. (even though airbenders are the best) :)

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
Moved here: https://smashboards.com/threads/the-transition-new-mechanics-re-works-balance-changes-thread.455366/
Everything new from smashbros.com and bit from E3 (echo fighter=clone):
General
Air dodging from Melee (NOT brawl/4) with 2 big changes:
1. No freefall, however most likely can only be used once
2. (Presumably) Instead of landing diagonal airdodges sliding you, they probably halt momentum and have standard landing lag.
Seemingly floatier than 4 (though not certain)
Seems to be good for casuals (like Brawl) while still retaining competitive viability (like Melee), to deliver an experience that leans more towards both ends at once than Sm4sh.
Damage increased during 1v1s

Fighters
Mario (01)

- New Taunts (Cappy, Thumbs Up)
- New Alts (Mario Maker, Wedding)
DK (02)
- New Final Smash (Extremely long jab combo before finishing with a deadly punch)
- Charged Giant Punch now has the Power Hit animation (like KO Punch, zooms in with lines to indicate power while the background turns dark blue)
Link (03)
- Design Updated (now matches BoTW)
- Down B Sprite Updated (now a remote bomb)
- New Final Smash (ancient arrow from BoTW)
Samus (04)
- Can charge Charge Shot in the Air (courtesy of Murlough Murlough )
Yoshi (05)
- Egg Throw now bounces off the ground (courtesy of YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
- Grab animation significantly changed (courtesy of YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Kirby (06)
- Fully Charged Hammer now has the Power Hit Animation
- New Rock: Chest from BoTW
Fox (07)
N/A (but Krystal is either an assist or newcomer (probably the former))
Pikachu (08)
- New Nair (strikes a pose while charging self with electricity)
- Thunder makes Pikachu turn bright yellow when hit
- Volt Tackle (final smash) is now a fast combo, similar to the final smashes of Greninja, Ike, etc.
- New Alts: Pikachu Libre, Female Pokémon Trainer Pikachu
Luigi (09)
- Up-B sweetspot has the Power Hit Animation
- New Combo: DAir -> UTilt -> FTilt (or maybe even an Up-B, from the proximity)
Ness (10)
- New Grab: Holds onto opponents with PSI
- New Pummel: Charges opponents with PSI (a very slow pummel)
- PK Thunder Self-Hit hitbox now has the Power Hit Animation
- PK Starstorm: Projectiles move slowly however swarm the screen, and gets characters from EarthBound (don't know their names rip) that know PK Starstorm to help him cast it
Captain Falcon (11)
- Falcon Punch: Gained the Power Hit Animation, now has a MASSIVE vertical hitbox shaped like a pheonix
Jigglypuff (12)
- Rest: Gained the Power Hit Animation
- Puff Up: Now has an angry face when puffing up
Peach (13)
- Toad helps her when using her grab
- Not on website, but since Mario and Daisy have wedding alts, I'm guessing Peach does too
Daisy (13 Echo)
- Peach clone with minor animation differences:
- Uses Blue Toad
- Has daisies instead of hearts
Bowser (14)
- Down Tilt: Now trips
- Giga Bowser: Warps behind the stage, a crosshair appears, and when you press A, wherever it is you punch and screen KO anyone there (at any percent)
Ice Climbers (15)
- Belay: Now has a blue rope
- Nana: Now hops on the spot panicking when Popo is grabbed, no longer making Popo immune to grabs
Sheik (16)
- Not sure if this is in Smash 4, but Up-B has a fire effect
Zelda (17)
- Model is re-designed
- Down-B: Now shows the Phantom being assembled when charging
- Final Smash: Changed to Triforce of Wisdom (Pulls enemies into the Triforce of Wisdom, which then explodes into light)
- Din's Fire: No longer causes freefall
Dr. Mario (18)
-
New DAir: Thrusts legs down to spike the opponent
- Doctor Tornado: Now either has a bigger hitbox and/or more priority (which relates to damage)
- No longer a clone due to new moves
Pichu (19)
- New Move: Shocks an opponent, stunning them (could be neutral B, side B or down tilt)
- Final Smash: Identical to that of Pikachu
- No longer a clone due to new moves
- New Combo (maybe): USmash->Thunder (courtesy of Murlough Murlough )
Falco (20)
N/A
Marth (21)
- Dancing Blade: Now strikes much faster
- Shield Breaker: Can be angled, power hit animation if it hits a shield
Lucina (21 Echo)
Same as Marth
Young Link (22)
- New final smash, not shown
- No longer a clone due to link reworks
Ganondorf (23)
- Model updated to look like Melee
- Warlock Punch now has the power hit animation
- New FSmash: Swings a sword overhead in a broad, heavy, slow swing for massive damage
Mewtwo (24)
N/A
Roy (25)
- Charged Neutral B has the power hit animation and can be reversed before the attack
Mr. Game & Watch (26)
- All his attacks turn him into the characters from the game it's based on (Chef turns him into the chef, Judge turns him into the judge, etc.)
- Final Smash is now a command grab that carries foes into the blast zone
Meta Knight (27)
- DThrow is slower
- Shuttle Loop does almost no knockback on the second hit (just a happy thing for Sm4sh players)
Pit (28)
- New Final Smash: Stuns nearby foes, then Pit flies off on a chariot with winged horses and a crosshair appears. Wherever it is when A is pressed, Pit will charge through the enemy.
Dark Pit (28 Echo)
N/A
Zero Suit Samus (29)
- Can now infinitely wall jump with Flip Kick
Wario (30)
- Max Waft has Power Hit effect
- Dash Attack changed to Brawl F-Smash (courtesy of Murlough Murlough )
- Final Smash: Wario-Man is now a short animation of him beating up nearby foes before launching them.
Snake (31)
N/A (though I like his child-friendly grab)
Ike (32)
- Fully Charged Eruption shoots a massive column of blue flame and has the power hit animation
Pokémon Trainer (33-35)
- Zard is back on Trainer
- NO MORE TERRIBLE MECHANICS! YAY! No more stamina (solo mains are viable), no more type effectiveness
- Changing Pokémon makes you intangible, being a quick and useful dodge
- Female Trainer Alts (may or may not already be in)
- Probably new specials for Ivysaur (Up-Bs aren't tethers anymore)
Diddy Kong (36)
- New Taunt
Lucas (37)
- PK Starstorm updated to match that of Ness
Sonic (38)
- Super Sonic now matches Pikachu's final smash
- Knuckles is either an assist or newcomer (probably the former)
King Dedede (39)
- Can inhale and spit gordos (the gordos do NOT turn into stars)
Olimar (40)
N/A
Lucario (41)
N/A (however new combo: FAir->FAir->FAir)
R.O.B. (42)
- DThrow: Now buries
Toon Link (43)
N/A (New Combo: UTilt->DAir->Grab)
Wolf (44)
N/A
Villager (45)
N/A
Mega Man (46)
- 2 more characters in Final Smash
Wii Fit Trainer (47)
N/A
Rosalina (48)
- New NAir (courtesy of Murlough Murlough )
- I assume from Icies that Luma can't attack if Rosa is being grabbed
Little Mac (49)
- The buff EVERY Mac player was waiting for, Jolt no longer triggers helplessness (at least on the ground)
- KO punch now gives vertical momentum
- Can turn around before Straight Lunge
- Probably new Final Smash, as they changed EVERY SINGLE transformation Final Smash
Greninja (50)
N/A
Miis (51-53)
- New customs
Palutena (54)
- Has Explosive Custom Side Special from 4 (courtesy of Murlough Murlough )
-
Pac-Man (55)
- Hydrant: Hitting water will cancel the windbox
- Final Smash: No longer controlled by player, instead Pac-Man dashes across the screen
Robin (56)
-Elwind: Can be angled
Shulk (57)
- Monado Arts: After 1 cycle, shows a wheel with all 5 monado arts
Bowser Jr. (58)
- Not sure if this was in Smash 4, but FTilt (tongue) eats items
- Final Smash hits much faster
Duck Hunt (59)
N/A
Ryu (60)
N/A
Cloud (61)
- Cross Slash's slashes are now very thin
- Can only have a limit charge for 15 seconds before losing it (courtesy of Murlough Murlough , confirmed by Tweek)
Corrin (62)
N/A
Bayonetta (63)
- Can no longer get 2 after burner kicks (?)
- Grab is now magical, suspending opponents with black magic.
- Witch time duration modified, either based off countered attack's KB or damage (courtesy of Murlough Murlough )
Inklings (64)
- All alts are different models
- Most attacks give foes Ink (presumably slowing movement speed and/or increasing launch rates)
- Neutral? Special (or maybe it works like Megaman's pellets): Shoots a short stream of ink with the Splattershot
- Side? Special: Pulls out a Splat Roller and rolls over foes, burying them
- Final Smash: Pulls out the Sonic Boom (or whatever it's called) and blasts foes
Ridley (65)
-Neutral Special: Shoots a bouncing fireball. Charge to shoot tons at a time.
-Side Special: Dashes forward, grabbing nearby foes and dragging them along the ground for massive damage and knockback.
-Up Special: Flies in a given direction. Think a purple version of Pit's Up-B but with more startup.
-Down Special: Charges up (for maybe 20 frames?), before releasing his tail like a spear. Normally deals 1%, however has a sweetspot at the tip that deals 50%, triggers the powerful hit animation, and causes an opponent to fall over (as if they were impaled). 50% is enough to break any shield in 4, so be careful.
-Final Smash: Throws foes onto the side of a ship, then blows up the ship with a giant fiery death ray, KO'ing any on-board foes.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
So what are y'all thinking: will Ridley be trash tier or just hard to learn like Rosalina?
He'll be good if he keeps the ability to do 50% by sweet spotting his tail. Otherwise he might be bad, unless it's really hard to sweetspot his tail in which case he'll be like rosa.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In the Characters Introduction video, only a little short amount of characters doesn't show their Final Smash, usually those characters are the one who previously had long Final Smash that will need to be changed for the new "quick Final Smash" take from this game, like Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, captain falcon... However, there one oddities to this, and it's Robin, no news about his Final Smash with Chrom, yet it wasn't a long Final Smash since it was like Cloud's or Ike's one who are still in the game.

So, my illuminaty conspiracy let me believe that, Chrom might get in the game, as an Echoes or as his own characters and Robin might get a new Final Smash...

Honestly, I had the same thought. Thinking of echo characters is kinda hard, you need to think of a completely new character that still does exactly what another character does and could realistically share animations.

Speaking of echo characters, if Ken doesn't get in as one then what is Sakurai is doing. He's THE fighting game clone. It's also kinda weird that Alph is still a costume, he's the most obvious echo there is.

So, here's some food for thought.

Smash Ultimate was clearly planned from the start to bring back everyone, for better or worse. So any newcomers they chose would've been picked with knowledge in mind that every veteran would be back.

Knowing that...who becomes a more interesting option for a Pokémon newcomer? Another fighter with plant powers next to Ivysaur? Or Smash's first earthbender?
I kinda think Decidueye is out of the running now. Part of his appeal was always completing the trinity of fully evolved starters. But now that Pokemon Trainer is back together, there's no real point to that. I honestly think Rowlet stands a better chance of being a fighter than Decidueye at this point, but I still find Lycanroc the most likely of the Sun/Moon 'mons.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Love the people already whining that Ridley looks stupid and that Sakurai "should've stuck to his guns" and that Dark Samus would've been a better choice. Of course, none of these people are actually Metroid fans or wanted Ridley in the first place, but just be ****ing happy you degenerates. I love you guys but the greater Nintendo community can be real ****ing awful.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My question has not been answered. Where is it shown that Krystal is an assist trophy?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Love the people already whining that Ridley looks stupid and that Sakurai "should've stuck to his guns" and that Dark Samus would've been a better choice. Of course, none of these people are actually Metroid fans or wanted Ridley in the first place, but just be ****ing happy you degenerates. I love you guys but the greater Nintendo community can be real ****ing awful.
When people are complaining about Ridley.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My initial excitement has calmed down by now. I'm still beyond looking forward to this next Smash game, obviously, but I've calmed down considerably after the initial reveals and announcements hours earlier. :p Now to get into the deeper details of things.

Worth noting that Sakurai (at least via the translator) noted his hopes that fans aren't expecting too many newcomers this time, given that bringing every single veteran back was their top priority. I doubt Ridley and Inkling are our only newcomers, but DLC possibilities aside, I think that means not many more are left to be shown until release. How many exactly, we can't be sure yet.

Several characters have already been disconfirmed via Assist Trophies or a few other things. Unless I'm mistaken or missed something since I didn't stay to watch the after shows, there's been no signs of Isabelle or Bandana Dee yet. Same goes for any potential DK newcomers. They may still have a shot. I'm also still fully anticipating a Pokemon newcomer.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I'll be eating my helmet if this actually will end up true. Quite fascinating notion so far!

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Oh, and I forgot- I gotta really appreciate what Sakurai does here, bringing everyone back. Other fighting games cut characters like its going out of style (MvCI, Im looking at you!). It is a mega task that shows that Sakurai really does care about his works, and his fans.

Oh, and I saw in the gamepaly that you pick the level before the characters? I hope that is an E3 demo thing.

My question has not been answered. Where is it shown that Krystal is an assist trophy?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm optimistic that the seperate balancing between 1v1s and FFAs will mean that heavy weights won't struggle as much again. Too early to say anything about tiers, but it does look like he has a lot of good tools, it really depends on numbers and frames.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Krystal is an Assist Trophy
That was a poor "confirmation". We didn't see anything there, just her doing a quick move. One that looked like it could've just been a Neutral B.

Character trailers don't make anything clear and shouldn't be used.

Wait for the streams to show them being actually summoned first.

What actually disconfirmed her properly was the stream showing her as an AT.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Pokemon and Mario newcomers really took a hit from the deconfirms, didn't they?

Mario basically has Captain Toad, Geno, and Paper Mario left as feasibles, don't they?

and Pokemon is more than likely going to be Mimikyu or Decidueye.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That was a poor "confirmation". We didn't see anything there, just her doing a quick move. One that looked like it could've just been a Neutral B.

Character trailers don't make anything clear and shouldn't be used.

Wait for the streams to show them being actually summoned first.

What actually disconfirmed her properly was the stream showing her as an AT.
I saw Krystal in gameplay on Treehouse. She is an AT.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ganondorf (23)
- New FSmash: Swings the Sword of Sages overhead in a broad, heavy, slow swing for massive damage
That's not the Sword of Sages, that's the sword used by him in the GCN tech demo and his old melee win animation.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
This game earns the title "ultimate." Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Ice Climbers coming back.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I actually agree that Ridley looks stupid, haha. He really doesn't feel like the same character when scaled down like that.

Buuuuuuuuuut I say it's ****ing worth it. Metroid needed it's main antagonist, and his moveset looks like a ton of fun (grab>drag through floor <3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom