• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What's even stranger is that some Super Mario Bros. BGM tracks are used in certain Yoshi's Island stages. For an example, Woolly World has three BGM choices that are NOT from the Yoshi's Island series.
That's not a problem tbvh. Mario/DK/Yoshi are close series, no matter the arguments and share the same universe, it doesn't feel out of place y'know-
It would be like putting Megaman X music in the Megaman Stage, No one would see a Problem here

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
This, his first quote was in regard to a baseless rumor about his inclusion. Defintely reads as we weren't thinking about it, but if we tried he might be a little different. He even asks if that would be ok. His response regarding smash 4 defintely sounded like a positive stance against his inclusion.
Right, and now this leads me to my 2nd question: Has Sakurai ever kept true to his word regarding characters that couldn't work in Smash? As far as I know, the major ones were Pac-man, Villager, and Miis, and Sakurai went back on what he said about them and included them in Smash 4.
Basically what I'm getting at is: Ridley's chances might not be that bad if he was never rejected twice. All we need now is for Sakurai to go back on his word like usual. Hopefully Ridley won't be the sole exception

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
And yet we have no trouble in speculating whether or not a FE16 or Gen 8 Pokémon would get in Smash.
I personally do. Don't argue I'm inconsistent when you don't know my positions - it's bad debating technique.

I'm not denying that a character's history shouldn't be taken into account when making the roster, but only looking at the number of video games a character appears in is a pretty stupid thing to consider when deciding characters.
If that is the case, then why are recurring characters the ones that most regularly make it into Smash Bros.?

Skull Kid only appeared in one Zelda game, but I can assure you that he and the game he debuted in is far more iconic to Zelda than Impa and her several minor supporting roles. Quality before quantity.
How can you assure me that Skull Kid is more iconic?

You don't have an objective standard that you're using. It's obviously not number of games appeared in or sales of said games. It's certainly not recent appearances. What's your standard?

Further, I can assure you that Impa was more of an icon during the time of Smash 5's roster finalization than any of the champions. Why? Well, simply, their game had not even released yet. No one could have known them because the game wasn't out yet.

I'll admit, the Champions haven't shown themselves of being capable of achieving that same iconicness
Then you'll understand why I consider the champions to be as likely as Ghirahim was in Smash 4.
but the fact that their game of origin was so impactful and well-received since its first reveal at E3 2016 makes me think they're just as worthy as any other Zelda character, one-offs or not.
The champions weren't part of the E3 demo. Sakurai couldn't have known who would be most well received because they weren't publically known yet. Your entire argument hinges upon the impact of Breath of the Wild, but Breath of the Wild had no impact at the point Sakurai was considering characters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
No one will ever convince me Yoshi isn't a unique series like Donkey Kong and Wario.
The problem for me is that, unlike Wario and Donkey Kong, the Yoshi series doesn't really have any standout characters that aren't Mario enemies. Kamek and Shy Guy are neat, but ultimately are Mario characters. You can't say the same for Ashley or Mona, and Dixie or K. Rool.

If Yoshi starts having an unique character not originating from Mario or highly present in Mario, then sure why not if they are interesting in terms of personality and movepool.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I hate to be that guy, but Super Dragon is actually based on the abilities Yoshi can get after swallowing shells in Super Mario World.
Ah, right. Which is also an ability from- what else- him in a Mario game.

So even more representation to his Mario side.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The problem for me is that, unlike Wario and Donkey Kong, the Yoshi series doesn't really have any standout characters that aren't Mario enemies. Kamek and Shy Guy are neat, but ultimately are Mario characters. You can't say the same for Ashley or Mona, and Dixie or K. Rool.

If Yoshi starts having an unique character not originating from Mario or highly present in Mario, then sure why not if they are interesting in terms of personality and movepool.
When was this an argument about Yoshi needing more representation?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's not a problem tbvh. Mario/DK/Yoshi are close series, no matter the arguments and share the same universe, it doesn't feel out of place y'know-
It would be like putting Megaman X music in the Megaman Stage, No one would see a Problem here
Considering that Yoshi has strong ties to the Super Mario Bros. series, his stages have every right to use some of the Super Mario Bros. BGM tracks.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Haven't logged on in ages. Forgot my password too, heh. Just wanted to chime in and say Wario and DK feel like much more their own thing than Yoshi. Yoshi's series is more closely tied into Mario's by directly having enemies and such that are from the series. It's still it's own thing, but I wouldn't put it on the same level of independence as WarioWare or DKC.

I mean, Yoshi does have it's own logo so Sakurai seems to consider Yoshi a..well, Yoshi rep, but it's much more tied in to Mario than the other series brought up.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shy Guy didn't originate in a Yoshi game like Kamek did, so it's understandable to associate one way more with Mario.

Kamek debuted in Yoshi's Island as well. While Magikoopas first existed in Super Mario World, the specific Magikoopa that became a proper character did not.

So yeah, Kamek is pretty much a Yoshi character first, and pretty much one of the two main villains of the Yoshi series. Baby Bowser(who doesn't actually show up in other Mario platforms beyond Yoshi, which one of his few other regular Mario appearances being in an RPG where Kamek is his caretaker, as the norm).

One interesting thing is that Kammy is Bowser's main Magikoopa in the Paper Mario series... for the first two games, anyway. I can't remember if she appears in Super, but Kamek takes over in Sticker Star. I forget if he was in Color Splash.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Look, I'm a fellow EarthBound fan too, but you're being a little unreasonable if you say that getting a newcomer from all the games I listed wouldn't be enough to make you excited for Smash.

I'd love to get a third EarthBound rep, but the chances of that happening are incredibly low. If I can't get a newcomer for that series, then the best thing for me to do is to find other franchises I'd like to get more representation in Smash. For me, I want more DK and Metroid.
I'm sorry if we disagree, but my opinion stands. This isn't specifically about EarthBound; my discontent comes from the fact that I do not like the characters added in that roster, period. In general, it's pretty hard to be excited for something you dislike. In this case, however, it is especially so because I'm not the type who gets excited if a series I like expands its representation with characters I could do without. Finally, it's not unreasonable for one to react negatively to a personally undesirable roster; in fact, I'd say it's to be expected. This is a game of preferences, and everyone is entitled to their own choices. I would accept that roster if it was official, and I would be happy for the people who supported those characters, but I would not be pleased with it.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Shy Guy didn't originate in a Yoshi game like Kamek did, so it's understandable to associate one way more with Mario.

Kamek debuted in Yoshi's Island as well. While Magikoopas first existed in Super Mario World, the specific Magikoopa that became a proper character did not.

So yeah, Kamek is pretty much a Yoshi character first, and pretty much one of the two main villains of the Yoshi series. Baby Bowser(who doesn't actually show up in other Mario platforms beyond Yoshi, which one of his few other regular Mario appearances being in an RPG where Kamek is his caretaker, as the norm).

One interesting thing is that Kammy is Bowser's main Magikoopa in the Paper Mario series... for the first two games, anyway. I can't remember if she appears in Super, but Kamek takes over in Sticker Star. I forget if he was in Color Splash.
Yeah she wasn't in Super at all. Kamek did appear in Color Splash as well, just not quite as prominently. He/She mostly just showed up randomly during battles to do so trickery.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Idgaf how many Mario games Kamek, Baby Mario, Ukiki, Naval Piranha, Poochy, etc. appear in. They debuted in Yoshi games, which makes them Yoshi characters at heart, and as such they need the proper symbol.

I can understand why Kamek and Baby Mario's trophies are categorized in the Mario series in Smash 4, I just heavily disagree with it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah she wasn't in Super at all. Kamek did appear in Color Splash as well, just not quite as prominently.
Ah. Yeah, it'd be neat if he got in Smash, that said. With a Kammy costume. Maybe 8 of each of them with various colors. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green? The typical ones.

...I'm trying to remember if there were other proper Magikoopa colors. >.< I mean, we aren't talking about Wizzrobes.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Ah. Yeah, it'd be neat if he got in Smash, that said. With a Kammy costume. Maybe 8 of each of them with various colors. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green? The typical ones.

...I'm trying to remember if there were other proper Magikoopa colors. >.< I mean, we aren't talking about Wizzrobes.
how about Psycho Kamek from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga?

Burruni

Smash Hero
So. Sticking to the "hopeful" estimate based on known/estimated development cycle and factors leading to my theory for "17 newcomers + Wolf and Icies returning." In these last few days before we get dumped with news. I wanna break down my feelings/thoughts about the major characters across the various series... that I know of, at least.
Saturday: N64 Additions
Sunday: Melee + Brawl Additions
Monday: Smash 4 + New Series additions.
Tuesday: "Open" and "Filled" Roster ideas.
Without other pleasantries, I'll get to work.
:4mario:
Mario as a series got a significant bump between Brawl and Smash 4 and the series might see no newcomers again. However, there are 4 major avenues if we do see it.
1) Captain Toad: Toads in general have been a decently supported fighter since Melee's japanese-only fan survey. Captain Toad in particular has been a specific entity to embody everything the species have been known for as well as his own feats in his various small appearances and own budget-title. However, I don't see him becoming a fighter. As is well known as it rears its head when the character is oft brought up; he is unable to jump in-game because of his backpack combined with Toad's lower-than-average jumping power as defined in SMB2 and 3D World. Because of this, his often helper-npc role in Mario's mainline titles, and Sakurai's claim to want to seek proper character representation in regards of their series when they appear in Smash, I feel he is more befitting an Assist Trophy role but am open to being proven wrong.

2) Pauline: Big push in popularity out of Odyssey, Mario's original damsel in distress has always been a background character for the series. Appearing in the Mario vs Donkey Kong spinoff, she has yet to even break out into the main Mario group games like Tennis, Party, or Kart. Her largely non-direct role in the series and small impact within it makes me feel that in spite of a surge; we'll see her merely as a background element for an eventual New Donk City stage similar to K.K. Slider in Smashville and Town & City.

3) Paper Mario: It's complicated. He's possible but due to the lack of an identity in how he functions between Sticker Star and Color Splash tiptoeing around similar-ish systems but don't wholly align don't sit well in how I feel this character would be viewed to have a set fighting style and such. There's also very evident clamoring in his fanbase for the age of Partners but again adhering to Sakurai's claim for being "honest" to character design when he can, he just doesn't seem right for the jump currently. If Paper Mario 6 cements a sticker/paint system, I might turn on him for DLC or a sequel

4) Party/Karty/Sports: I'm lumping this together because these kinds of Mario spinoffs are a big part of the series and have two characters tied into them. Daisy, who I generally see as less likely due to not having great means to keep herself distinct from Peach for whom she's always set up as the partner, and Waluigi, who visually clearly has something distinct, has the general underdog demeanor and "weirdness" that has kept him with an oddly passionate fanbase, push by even Charles Martinet for greater roles, a history of using mechanical tools and explosives to cheat his way to victory, and a popularity Sakurai has teased about... it's an outside chance, but I feel like one worth noting.

:4link:
I'm just going to be blunt. I don't see a Zelda newcomer. The champions all fall into the trope of "fairly significant character in one game that likely won't be seen again" that Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim fell into and have become Assist Trophies for. Especially with things like Daruk's protection and Revali's gale probably being mixed into Link's new moveset. Outside of them, it's just like Smash 4.... but worse. Wizpig Ganon hasn't been in a game since Link Between Worlds, and Impa's best push is from HW and from that Linkle might shine better.

:4pikachu:
With Gen 8 pushed back officially to 2019, and the roster likely being determined in mid 2016, we're looking at an Alolan addition with all likelihood. And there are basically 3 camps.

1) Decidueye: Grass starter. Pushed up decently via Pokken and such. Archer + bird person for uniqueness. Kinda has the credentials one would expect but we have been duped before like with expecting Zoroark.

2) Mimikyu: An option people don't really note. One of the bigger non-starter, non-legendary pokemon out of the region given its anime relevance of Jessie's ace and the first pokemon to actually take down Ash and Co. in a fair fight, only "standard" alolan Pokemon to be given a unique Z-move, and even had an entire song made for it in the pre-release play up and Sun and Moon. A cloth-clad trickster that I wouldn't count out.

3) Lycanroc: It's a dog with earth/rock powers and is being played up in the show as Ace's ace. Not too much more to say but I'd expect at least them to be a big Pokeball summon if nothing else.

:4kirby:
Bandana Dee. What it comes down to because Marx only has his post-launch addition of Star Allies to cling to and that's too new for the roster's probable cut off. B. Dee's design starts back from Super Star, but starting from its Remake HAL has been making him a sizable star of recent titles and set up as the 4th big player to the series. Playable as the 4th character in RtDL and the on-launch Star Allies dream friends. Sole playable sidekick in Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale. NPC helper in Triple Deluxe and Robobot while the King and Knight were boss fights and got a sub mode dedicated to them (DDD Drum Dash in TD and Meta Knightmare in PR). Small body, big spear, and the general tools of a Waddle Dee similar to one'd claim for Toad kind for Captain Toad. Not a hype powerhouse, but a rising star kind of character that had a good case for Smash 4 and has only gotten better since.

:4yoshi:
I expect no newcomer. Yoshi is a series that has not evolved much since the SNES era much to credit its simple but solid gameplay that's so heavilly rooted to mainline Mario for its cast. The only other recurring characters are the Babies, forms of Bowser, and Kamek who... is just a magikoopa.

:4dk:
Donkey Kong as a series has been very vocally pushed for being "sleighted" in its representation and due to strong circumstances of the series with the Returns games and in general the Smash Ballot, two newcomers wouldn't be a shock.

Dixie: Planned in some capacity for Brawl, the third playable Kong, and one that has stuck around a lot as a playable gal. Another simple character that kinda shouldn't need explanation at this point.

K. Rool: You can't be here long without hearing his name cried. A character with just about every credential marked off the list.... except a recent role. But with the ballot, and nod to his support with the surprise Mii costume, I wouldn't count the croc out yet.

With the fact DK is at two characters still, anything past these two possible additions is being too wild in my opinion. Cranky or Funky just aren't on the same level of them in series and really don't hold shots to get in before them.

:4fox:
Wolf coming back is about the best the series has to push. The only games to come after Command have been two rehashes of 64. This severely hurts Krystal as the loosely popular "4th member" as fans often put her and Slippy's the only other remotely tangible factor due to being made the face of Star Fox Guard but would be an extreme outside shot to say the last.

:4samus:
I know I'm gonna grab heat for this one but I do not expect any additions to the roster this time either. Ridley has Word of God against him (and one of very few characters Sakurai has ever talked about why they WEREN'T included... and was given that treatment twice). Every argument against him has been said already and I feel I'm being too lengthy already. Sylux is pretty much the only other notable option and he's waiting for the drop of Prime 4 to be truly relevant again.

:4falcon::4ness:
Get a new game and then we'll talk.

That wraps up the first 10 added series.
Prepare for another read tomorrow.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
99% is a ridiculously exaggerated number. They have very healthy amounts of content referring more to the Mario side of their characters, like the aforementioned stages, several of their music tracks being listed under the Mario series, even down to their trophies. In fact, Yoshi has next to NO trophy representation in Smash 4 or Brawl, and the few ones he does have are still also classified as Mario characters in several instances, such as Shy/Fly Guys (Who do not originate from Yoshi's Island. Fly Guys did, sure, but let's not even GO into where Shy Guy stands as a Mario character) and Baby Mario (Who is Mario). Meanwhile, Yoshi is involved in SEVERAL of the trophies from the Mario side of things (Yoshi Kid, Mario Kart, etc.) Yoshi's Final Smash does not reference anything from his own game. Nothing from Mario's either, sure, but that's not the point I'm making here.

So what is this absurd 99% ratio you're talking about? Because his stages, music and trophies also go both ways.
You took that 99% thing a little too seriously.

There is a such thing as a spin-off series assuming aspects from the other series to the point where they are considered separate. Shy Guys for example. They may have minor roles in the Mario spin-offs these days but there more prominent roles are forever going to be in Yoshi games from here on out (and yes, I am going to go there with Shy Guys). I also consider it a double standard when elements that originate from Yoshi games come into Mario (like Bandits, Mousers and Grinders) and people will associate them with Mario. If you want to consider Yoshi not separate enough from Mario because it borrowed elements from Mario then it should work the other way around. My point is that what makes a Yoshi game distinct from say Luigi's Mansion and Captain Toad is style and aesthetic. He can borrow whatever he wants as long as his aesthetic is put on to it. THAT'S what makes Yoshi separate.
Doesn't change the fact that they still have the Mario emblem over them. Or is Sakurai suddenly misrepresenting Yoshi in Smash now?
Actually yes, and people other than me have had fits over it. I bet you're one of those people who think his placement on Smash 4's CSS is strange

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Watch I’m gonna “leak some info guys”

-Vergeben is right
-Ashley
-K Rool
-Bandana Dee
-Captain Toad
-Elma
-Isabelle
-Chorus Kids
-Mimikyu
-Excitebiker
-Nikki
-Isaac
-Takamaru
-Dixie
-Wolf
-Rayman
-Crash
-There is no FE newcomer

See anyone can make a text leak. While Vergeben has credit, until e3 all text leaks are not convincing.

Watch I am right lol. If this whole prediction is right I’ll change my avatar to a picture of one of the most hated characters in gaming.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I believe there's a white one too.

AKA straight up White Mage Kamek, haha.

...I wonder if the White Mage robes were why Psycho Kamek was replaced with Dr. Toadley in the remake. I mean, they did remove Geno... Who knows.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Speaking of Wario. I honestly feel Ashley is a pretty strong contender for a new character. Despite not having a game since the last Smash, she remained relevant through the Badge Arcade and grew even more in popularity. I recall Sakurai acknowledging her growth in popularity in an interview after Smash 4 came out. Japan loves her, and she has a fanbase in the states too. I certainly like her a lot, and I don't think anyone would complain about her getting in. She's shown enough to have a moveset. My dream character is Ridley but my most realistic want is Ashley.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Yoshi does not need more representation but I would certainly be happy if Kamek gets in. He has so much potential.
I think Poochy would be a fun addition as well. He certainly has less moveset potential than Kamek, but he would at least be one of the cutest characters on the roster, which has to count for something, right? Also he's had a bit of a boost in relevancy with his inclusion in Woolly World (with an accompanying amiibo) and Mario Odyssey.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Gotta have a White Mage design. :p

I believe there's a white one too.

AKA straight up White Mage Kamek, haha.

...I wonder if the White Mage robes were why Psycho Kamek was replaced with Dr. Toadley in the remake. I mean, they did remove Geno... Who knows.
Well, Squeenix probably said no. Plain and simple. A remake is different from a VC release. They get credit either way, but it's easier to say no to a remake because it's modifying the original design of the game. If they don't want the cameo there, it's their call. For just a re-release, saying "remake it or no dice" is kind of fruitless when they'll get their share of credit anyway.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You took that 99% thing a little too seriously.

There is a such thing as a spin-off series assuming aspects from the other series to the point where they are considered separate. Shy Guys for example. They may have minor roles in the Mario spin-offs these days but there more prominent roles are forever going to be in Yoshi games from here on out (and yes, I am going to go there with Shy Guys). I also consider it a double standard when elements that originate from Yoshi games come into Mario (like Bandits, Mousers and Grinders) and people will associate them with Mario. If you want to consider Yoshi not separate enough from Mario because it borrowed elements from Mario then it should work the other way around. My point is that what makes a Yoshi game distinct from say Luigi's Mansion and Captain Toad is style and aesthetic. He can borrow whatever he wants as long as his aesthetic is put on to it. THAT'S what makes Yoshi separate.

Actually yes, and people other than me have had fits over it. I bet you're one of those people who think his placement on Smash 4's CSS is strange
No, I think his placement in Smash 4 is just fine. Right in there with his fellow Mario characters. :troll:
What about any of that is literally worth having a fit over? This is where I feel the bias coming in. And to be blunt, I don't really care what your 'perspective' of Yoshi's representation in Smash is, what matters is what is already there, and what's there is a healthy balance between his Mario side and Yoshi side, which again, is the entire point I've been trying to make this past hour.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I think Poochy would be a fun addition as well. He certainly has less moveset potential than Kamek, but he would at least be one of the cutest characters on the roster, which has to count for something, right? Also he's had a bit of a boost in relevancy with his inclusion in Woolly World (with an accompanying amiibo) and Mario Odyssey.
Why not add both, since considering Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, Sakurai has no problem adding more than one rep to a series. :p

Add Baby Mario too while you're at it.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So. Sticking to the "hopeful" estimate based on known/estimated development cycle and factors leading to my theory for "17 newcomers + Wolf and Icies returning." In these last few days before we get dumped with news. I wanna break down my feelings/thoughts about the major characters across the various series... that I know of, at least.
Saturday: N64 Additions
Sunday: Melee + Brawl Additions
Monday: Smash 4 + New Series additions.
Tuesday: "Open" and "Filled" Roster ideas.
Without other pleasantries, I'll get to work.
:4mario:
Mario as a series got a significant bump between Brawl and Smash 4 and the series might see no newcomers again. However, there are 4 major avenues if we do see it.
1) Captain Toad: Toads in general have been a decently supported fighter since Melee's japanese-only fan survey. Captain Toad in particular has been a specific entity to embody everything the species have been known for as well as his own feats in his various small appearances and own budget-title. However, I don't see him becoming a fighter. As is well known as it rears its head when the character is oft brought up; he is unable to jump in-game because of his backpack combined with Toad's lower-than-average jumping power as defined in SMB2 and 3D World. Because of this, his often helper-npc role in Mario's mainline titles, and Sakurai's claim to want to seek proper character representation in regards of their series when they appear in Smash, I feel he is more befitting an Assist Trophy role but am open to being proven wrong.

2) Pauline: Big push in popularity out of Odyssey, Mario's original damsel in distress has always been a background character for the series. Appearing in the Mario vs Donkey Kong spinoff, she has yet to even break out into the main Mario group games like Tennis, Party, or Kart. Her largely non-direct role in the series and small impact within it makes me feel that in spite of a surge; we'll see her merely as a background element for an eventual New Donk City stage similar to K.K. Slider in Smashville and Town & City.

3) Paper Mario: It's complicated. He's possible but due to the lack of an identity in how he functions between Sticker Star and Color Splash tiptoeing around similar-ish systems but don't wholly align don't sit well in how I feel this character would be viewed to have a set fighting style and such. There's also very evident clamoring in his fanbase for the age of Partners but again adhering to Sakurai's claim for being "honest" to character design when he can, he just doesn't seem right for the jump currently. If Paper Mario 6 cements a sticker/paint system, I might turn on him for DLC or a sequel

4) Party/Karty/Sports: I'm lumping this together because these kinds of Mario spinoffs are a big part of the series and have two characters tied into them. Daisy, who I generally see as less likely due to not having great means to keep herself distinct from Peach for whom she's always set up as the partner, and Waluigi, who visually clearly has something distinct, has the general underdog demeanor and "weirdness" that has kept him with an oddly passionate fanbase, push by even Charles Martinet for greater roles, a history of using mechanical tools and explosives to cheat his way to victory, and a popularity Sakurai has teased about... it's an outside chance, but I feel like one worth noting.

:4link:
I'm just going to be blunt. I don't see a Zelda newcomer. The champions all fall into the trope of "fairly significant character in one game that likely won't be seen again" that Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim fell into and have become Assist Trophies for. Especially with things like Daruk's protection and Revali's gale probably being mixed into Link's new moveset. Outside of them, it's just like Smash 4.... but worse. Wizpig Ganon hasn't been in a game since Link Between Worlds, and Impa's best push is from HW and from that Linkle might shine better.

:4pikachu:
With Gen 8 pushed back officially to 2019, and the roster likely being determined in mid 2016, we're looking at an Alolan addition with all likelihood. And there are basically 3 camps.

1) Decidueye: Grass starter. Pushed up decently via Pokken and such. Archer + bird person for uniqueness. Kinda has the credentials one would expect but we have been duped before like with expecting Zoroark.

2) Mimikyu: An option people don't really note. One of the bigger non-starter, non-legendary pokemon out of the region given its anime relevance of Jessie's ace and the first pokemon to actually take down Ash and Co. in a fair fight, only "standard" alolan Pokemon to be given a unique Z-move, and even had an entire song made for it in the pre-release play up and Sun and Moon. A cloth-clad trickster that I wouldn't count out.

3) Lycanroc: It's a dog with earth/rock powers and is being played up in the show as Ace's ace. Not too much more to say but I'd expect at least them to be a big Pokeball summon if nothing else.

:4kirby:
Bandana Dee. What it comes down to because Marx only has his post-launch addition of Star Allies to cling to and that's too new for the roster's probable cut off. B. Dee's design starts back from Super Star, but starting from its Remake HAL has been making him a sizable star of recent titles and set up as the 4th big player to the series. Playable as the 4th character in RtDL and the on-launch Star Allies dream friends. Sole playable sidekick in Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale. NPC helper in Triple Deluxe and Robobot while the King and Knight were boss fights and got a sub mode dedicated to them (DDD Drum Dash in TD and Meta Knightmare in PR). Small body, big spear, and the general tools of a Waddle Dee similar to one'd claim for Toad kind for Captain Toad. Not a hype powerhouse, but a rising star kind of character that had a good case for Smash 4 and has only gotten better since.

:4yoshi:
I expect no newcomer. Yoshi is a series that has not evolved much since the SNES era much to credit its simple but solid gameplay that's so heavilly rooted to mainline Mario for its cast. The only other recurring characters are the Babies, forms of Bowser, and Kamek who... is just a magikoopa.

:4dk:
Donkey Kong as a series has been very vocally pushed for being "sleighted" in its representation and due to strong circumstances of the series with the Returns games and in general the Smash Ballot, two newcomers wouldn't be a shock.

Dixie: Planned in some capacity for Brawl, the third playable Kong, and one that has stuck around a lot as a playable gal. Another simple character that kinda shouldn't need explanation at this point.

K. Rool: You can't be here long without hearing his name cried. A character with just about every credential marked off the list.... except a recent role. But with the ballot, and nod to his support with the surprise Mii costume, I wouldn't count the croc out yet.

With the fact DK is at two characters still, anything past these two possible additions is being too wild in my opinion. Cranky or Funky just aren't on the same level of them in series and really don't hold shots to get in before them.

:4fox:
Wolf coming back is about the best the series has to push. The only games to come after Command have been two rehashes of 64. This severely hurts Krystal as the loosely popular "4th member" as fans often put her and Slippy's the only other remotely tangible factor due to being made the face of Star Fox Guard but would be an extreme outside shot to say the last.

:4samus:
I know I'm gonna grab heat for this one but I do not expect any additions to the roster this time either. Ridley has Word of God against him (and one of very few characters Sakurai has ever talked about why they WEREN'T included... and was given that treatment twice). Every argument against him has been said already and I feel I'm being too lengthy already. Sylux is pretty much the only other notable option and he's waiting for the drop of Prime 4 to be truly relevant again.

:4falcon::4ness:
Get a new game and then we'll talk.

That wraps up the first 10 added series.
Prepare for another read tomorrow.
On your reasoning for Samus
I wondered a few posts up whether Ridley was rejected twice. Based on what I remember, that interview with Sakurai during Brawl took place after its release, and when the interviewer asked Sakurai on how he felt about Ridley as a playable character, his wording made it sound like he didn't know playable Ridley was in such high demand. Base on that, I don't think Ridley had faced two rejections. Sakurai only became aware of how popular he is after Brawl's release.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Smash is supposed to be a celebration. I think it makes sense to acknowledge where characters came from. Yoshi represents his series, but that doesn't mean Sakurai should ignore his Mario origins. Same with Wario. He's considered a WarioWare representative but he still has an alt costume for his classic look. I don't think it's that big a deal. Unless this is an argument used when deciding characters and whether you should lump them in with Mario. Even then, I don't think it's a big deal.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sakurai's gonna drop a wtf bomb or more rather a wft bomb and boom Hatsune Miku suddenly in Smash.
Community goes into red alert, threads getting locked left right and center.
All kinds of weird character threads happen.
Half the users under 24 hour bans.
Half the mods quit.
Site crashes, days later... chaos.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Smash is supposed to be a celebration. I think it makes sense to acknowledge where characters came from. Yoshi represents his series, but that doesn't mean Sakurai should ignore his Mario origins. Same with Wario. He's considered a WarioWare representative but he still has an alt costume for his classic look. I don't think it's that big a deal. Unless this is an argument used when deciding characters and whether you should lump them in with Mario. Even then, I don't think it's a big deal.
All I've been trying to say this entire argument is that the likes of Yoshi, Wario, etc. are just as much new Mario characters in Smash as they are newcomers for their respective series in Smash. Even with their respective game series certainly doing enough to separate themselves from the main "Mario Universe", they still celebrate both their Mario sides and the sides from their own series.

Wario is Wario in Smash to me. Not "Wario from WarioWare", just Wario. Yoshi is not "Yoshi from the Yoshi series" to me, he's just Yoshi. They're the same characters no matter what side you look at them from. Both sides of the spectrum cross each other MORE than enough times for them to be considered primary characters on both ends.

So when people say "Brawl didn't have any Mario newcomers", I say "Yes it did, they got Wario."am I wrong for saying that just because their series logo is different from the rest of the Mario cast?

Cured post
Delete this immediately. :bobomb:

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
i instantly regret logging on now

Regardless.
Fingers crossed for Medusa, Fossil Fighter or a Dangaronpa rep

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
No, I think his placement in Smash 4 is just fine. Right in there with his fellow Mario characters. :troll:
What about any of that is literally worth having a fit over? This is where I feel the bias coming in. And to be blunt, I don't really care what your 'perspective' of Yoshi's representation in Smash is, what matters is what is already there, and what's there is a healthy balance between his Mario side and Yoshi side, which again, is the entire point I've been trying to make this past hour.
The problem with perspectives like that is that it undermines Yoshi's importance to gaming as a whole, such as how people view power-ups, the collectathon elements of platformers and the connection between gameplay and story (I'm talking about the baby mechanic).

Burruni

Smash Hero
On your reasoning for Samus
I wondered a few posts up whether Ridley was rejected twice. Based on what I remember, that interview with Sakurai during Brawl took place after its release, and when the interviewer asked Sakurai on how he felt about Ridley as a playable character, his wording made it sound like he didn't know playable Ridley was in such high demand. Base on that, I don't think Ridley had faced two rejections. Sakurai only became aware of how popular he is after Brawl's release.
Well, I can expand here while I didn't in the main post.
Going off your point, Sakurai's main comment back in Brawl ended with a joke along the lines of "Maybe we could get it to work, but he'd probably be slow. Would that be alright?" with a slight chuckle.
This then only doubles down on the big thing said when Sakurai shot down Ridley officially in the post smash 4 interview. He said Ridley wasn't made into a playable character because he fits better as a boss. That trying to cram Ridley into a fighter compromises Ridley's identity as a character. Ridley, in Metroid, has only been comparable to Samus in Metroid 1 where it is barely Ridley and the 2D appearances in Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion, where the sprite has the Space Pirate's body all but folded into itself possibly due to limitations. Any time Ridley has been in full force (Prime 1, Prime 3, Other M, Samus Returns, and if you wish to count it Smash) he has been this large, dominant monster of a creature. His strong Xenomorphic inspirations give him this long, lanky body with a massive but thin tail to be used as a jabbing tool. Sakurai states that Ridley being brought down to a fighter level would make him too small, or limit his freedom of movement such as flight, and other bits of what Ridley represents in Metroid. Unlike Miis, Villager, and technically Pac-man, who were shot down after brawl for "Not being enough of characters to have material to work with," "being too peaceful," and "couldn't envision having a pizza fight," made it into Smash 4 due to things outside of those original reasons. Miis used their earlier problem to be revised into create-a-fighter due to being blank slates. Pac-Man's actual 3D full body got used instead of just the waka waka pizza form. Villager himself Sakurai commented on early into Smash 4's hype train got chosen because of being such an out-of-place fighter alongside Wii Fit Trainer. Restructured faults made INTO their identities. I can't see the same thing being spun for Sakurai making Ridley playable especially with the small window between titles and nothing in Metroid helping Ridley's case either.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The problem with perspectives like that is that it undermines Yoshi's importance to gaming as a whole, such as how people view power-ups, the collectathon elements of platformers and the connection between gameplay and story (I'm talking about the baby mechanic).
Correction, it undermines YOUR perspective of Yoshi as a whole in gaming.

Yoshi is one of my favorite characters period. I do not see Yoshi as black and white as you do. Yoshi is Yoshi, he is the same Yoshi in both the Mario series and the Yoshi series, AND the Smash series. (Well not literally the same Yoshi all the time since they're a species, but you get what I mean.)

He's a Mario character with some gosh darn amazing games under his belt. Is it not enough for people to be content with that?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
i instantly regret logging on now

Regardless.
Fingers crossed for Medusa, Fossil Fighter or a Dangaronpa rep
Danganronpa? I love the game series (cept for the 3 anime) but literally what does that have to do Nintendo?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
This must've been an immeasurable effort to compile the entire history of this leaky leaky series in a concise write-up, but I have to say it turned out great! Very well done! :)
It was originally a LOT longer... But we had to cut it down to make it flow better, and to make it manageable for time. I might be able to post the entire list I made on SG sometime in the future.

Forrest Lee was able to consolidate the list I made and update it to a better sounding video, so he deserves a lot of the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom