• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sheesh, that thread hurts to read. That leak was wild. Even when the videos were posted people keep saying "Project M/Mod."

"LOL so fake I could die." -RIP some SmashBoards user.
That’s why I don’t dismiss leaks if they look fairly legit.

I read that thread for epic lolz. It was one of my more defining moments here in Smashboards.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh so E3 actually starts this Saturday, but Nintendo's stuff will be showcased next Tuesday? I was about to ask if E3 started on the latter.
The E3 floorshow proper starts 9am PST 12 June. Nintendo's just the sole good boy who waits for Christmas instead of sneaking things out early.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I have a summer class next Tuesday at 12 pm. If the Nintendo presentation starts around that time, I pray to God that when I check the forums to see everyone's post-reaction, there better be a lot of "Ridley is playable!" comments.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sheesh, that thread hurts to read. That leak was wild. Even when the videos were posted people keep saying "Project M/Mod."

u
"Dr. Mario over Mewtwo..."

I'm glad more people know how adding characters work these days.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have a summer class next Tuesday at 12 pm. If the Nintendo presentation starts around that time, I pray to God that when I check the forums to see everyone's post-reaction, there better be a lot of "Ridley is playable!" comments.
What you do is go to Nintendo's E3 site and then watch the presentation as soon as you come home.

Besides, if Ridley is playable the news will be SO BIG that even these shiny new boards will come Bandicooting down.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why the countdown still follows EDT settings is beyond me, because E3 is located at California, which uses PDT settings. Do people really expect the Smash Bros. tournament to begin at 9 AM EDT?
You kidding? Who wouldn't want to participate in an intense Smash tournament at six in the morning?

But seriously, I need to be careful with these PDT times. Can't tell you how many times I counted down the minutes until a Direct started only to realize I was three hours early. It's frustrating, but I guess it's better than being three hours late.

u
"Dr. Mario over Mewtwo..."

I'm glad more people know how adding characters work these days.
In their defense, adding Dr. Mario over Mewtwo must have felt like a middle finger from Sakurai. I can definitely understand why so many people couldn't accept that.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I might be able to share the link to you if you. Once it's uploaded to YouTube, you could find a youtube down load site you trust, something along the lines of keepvid.

I know the struggles of trying to go in unspoiled, especially since I'm in the same timezone as you
Last year, iirc, Nintendo's E3 site had the main presentation be the first thing you see.

Even though I didn't get to watch it live, I was still able to watch it without anything being spoiled.

Hopefully the site layout is similar this year.
Yeah can you or somebody here send me the youtube link? I want to download it and watch it on the train.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
So what do you think the odds are of Olimar getting his maximum number of Pikmin available increased again? I feel like (not sure if this was confirmed to be the case) the 3DS limitations played a rol on this matter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So what do you think the odds are of Olimar getting his maximum number of Pikmin available increased again? I feel like (not sure if this was confirmed to be the case) the 3DS limitations played a rol on this matter.
They might give him more but then again, Olimar was kinda broken in Brawl. Wouldn't be suprised if he has to manage with three or four.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It would co-incide with another recovery rework to be sure but I'd like to see an increase.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I 100% believe this Vergeban leak now tbh. I know I should be skeptical, but there’s too many coincidences for me to ignore it.

Send help.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The ESRB leak that happened prior to Smash 4’s release was largely seen as fake until proven legit. I should know - I wrote the Smashboards news article about it. Got private messages calling me a fraud and peddling fake news. I was told I should be ashamed of myself for spreading fake leaks. Things like Shulk’s render, Dr Mario’s pose, placing of characters on the select screen, line width, and Wario’s render were what people thought made it fake.

Found it

https://smashboards.com/threads/potential-leaked-roster-surfaces.364880/
See, this is why I thanked those who compiled the Vergeben rumors up to this point. Either you helped shed light on a leak for the game, or you helped add fire to the fun speculation. People get way too upset about rumors and speculation, it's just a game.

Like sure I'll be dissapointed if this goes no where and Ridley doesn't get in, but like, I have real life problems lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It could happen, but I don't think there's a huge push for it. Since Olimar has Flying Pikmin instead of Pikmin Chain, there's not much that would require Olimar to need more than three.

I 100% believe this Vergeban leak now tbh. I know I should be skeptical, but there’s too many coincidences for me to ignore it.

Send help.
I'm still skeptical. Honestly, it doesn't feel like there's been many things that gave him more validity aside from the imgur leak (which is likely fake) and the vague Konami thing that happened yesterday.

Zeox

Smash Champion

people saying that the roster looks disappointing.
Maybe this is why people don't trust any leak that doesn't disappoint them.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not sure about it getting reverted to 6 as it did present some balancing issues, but maybe it'd get upped to 4. I do think some of the changes made because of the 3DS' limitations could be reverted, Dedede's Final Smash for example.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Good morning

How then vergeben thing going more creditable or no difference right now

Still not holding my breath for it but now start to fit the bill since castlevania collection could be made on the switch which gives the simonmpart more creditbility

This could be the gemusatu of smash switch basicly
(He got everything correct but that was until some change of plans for the game he didn't know about happened.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It took a while but I found my "Chopped Liver" list. This'll come in handy in the run-up.

Behold the Smash Bros "Chopped Liver" line-up, characters that counter popular arguments but get ignored constantly

"No Puzzle game characters have been playable yet" :4drmario:
"Only Japanese characters can be in Smash" :4diddy:
"Characters that only appeared in one game of a big series have no chance" :4sheik:
"[X] is too peaceful for Smash" :4villager:,:4wiifit:,:4zelda:,:4peach:
"This character has no Japanese fanbase and is thus impossible" :4littlemac:
"Their game gives them nothing to work with for a moveset" :4falcon:
"Would be a clone and clones don't happen anymore" :4darkpit::4lucina:
"[pre-DLC] Only characters strongly associated with Nintendo can get in" :snake:

Any I missed?

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I'm still skeptical. Honestly, it doesn't feel like there's been many things that gave him more validity aside from the imgur leak (which is likely fake) and the vague Konami thing that happened yesterday.
I never believed the imgur leak to begin with tbh, I refer to:

- Simon Belmont (an odd choice) and now other leaks indicate Castlevania returning
- Ridley (a choice that makes anything look fake), where no one with leaking merit has denied this, or even even tried to refute it. Plus, all the way back to early Restera teasing have sorta pushed him alongside at a nice speed.
- I 100% believed Snake wouldn’t return, but with the Konami stuff mentioned, it looks like Snake fans will rejoice again.

I know his track record is shaky, but to me there don’t seem to be lucky guesses or coincidences.

But I could be wrong..

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about it getting reverted to 6 as it did present some balancing issues, but maybe it'd get upped to 4. I do think some of the changes made because of the 3DS' limitations could be reverted, Dedede's Final Smash for example.
Waddle Dee Army was pretty garbage though, you could easily survive it, and it mostly just pushed opponents off the stage with little bits of damage on them if they touch the Waddle Dees.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Waddle Dee Army was pretty garbage though, you could easily survive it, and it mostly just pushed opponents off the stage with little bits of damage on them if they touch the Waddle Dees.
Don't you mean the BIG GAY DANCE

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, but it's a lot more unique than yet another "Hit opponent and deal 40% damage" Final Smash, of which we got a ton of in Smash 4. Waddle Dee Army just fits Dedede so much better, and it could always be buffed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Killing power is irrelevant. What mattered was the dance.

It was taken from us too soon.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think we need to stop connecting the imgur "leak" and Vergeben. They were never truly related and correct me if I'm wrong Vergeben even later said that there was false information in it.

It was ok to spot similarities before but now that Vergeben has actual new information backing it up to make it seem legitimate, the imgur "leak" has nothing still. I only mention this because I've seen a couple lurkers, new accounts etc. come in here excited about the imgur "leak" after the Vergeben news, such as saying this confirms King K. Rool despite the fact that it absolutely does not :/. This is the kind of stuff we need to be careful with rumors, connecting dots that don't have any connections at all.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think Olimar should have his number of pikmin increased at least by one, in order to have a maximum of 4. But I guess Daddy Sakurai knows best.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It could happen, but I don't think there's a huge push for it. Since Olimar has Flying Pikmin instead of Pikmin Chain, there's not much that would require Olimar to need more than three.
I would love for Olimar to have 6 Pikmin and the Pikmin Chain (Up+B) again and for Alph to be a clone of Olimar but with only 3 Pikmin and he only have Rock Pikmin and Flying Pikmin (Up+B). This way Alph can be a clone of Olimar and still have a different play style.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I think Olimar should have his number of pikmin increased at least by one, in order to have a maximum of 4. But I guess Daddy Sakurai knows best.
I still think that the best solution to make Olimar viable is to reduce the number of Pikmin species, by creating a new Pikmin rep to share the races with.
Olimar sticks to the original Red, Yellow and Blue, while another character from the series (like Alph or Louie, but anyone really) gets Purple, White and Rock.
So you make Olimar a more rounded character with simpler moves while the other is a more "situational" kind of character.

Some people would object by saying that's just making another clone character, but I firmly believe that this kind of Pikmin rep would be closer to what Ganondorf is to Captain Falcon than what Lucina is to Marth.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think we need to stop connecting the imgur "leak" and Vergeben. They were never truly related and correct me if I'm wrong Vergeben even later said that there was false information in it.

It was ok to spot similarities before but now that Vergeben has actual new information backing it up to make it seem legitimate, the imgur "leak" has nothing still. I only mention this because I've seen a couple lurkers, new accounts etc. come in here excited about the imgur "leak" after the Vergeben news, such as saying this confirms King K. Rool despite the fact that it absolutely does not :/. This is the kind of stuff we need to be careful with rumors, connecting dots that don't have any connections at all.
Trust me, I agree. It's just that I've seen a lot of people say Vergeben got more credibility when this random and highly unlikely imgur leak mentioned Snake.

Does a rumor really get more credibility if another rumor mentions the same character but gets debunked later on?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The imugar leak is just piggybacking vergeben leak easily

Plus the masked man who works for square enix confirmed that geno or/and sora is a lie

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Leaks aside, are there characters you support not because you like the character but what he or she and the franchise could bring to Smash?

For me personally:
  1. Goku: reaction videos from DBZ fans and butthurt rage quits by smash purists.
  2. Goku from Yuyuki: trollilololololos from smash fans and butt hurt ragequits from DBZ fans
  3. Scorpion from Mortal Kombat: for the movie theme song and to see Kirby dressed as a undead ninja and yell “GET OVER HERE!!!” as the copy ability followed by a blood splattering uppercut.
  4. Black Shadow: to get Ganondorf’s moveset so Ganondorf can his own based-on-canon moveset.
  5. Chrono: I do like the character but mostly for that music.
  6. Monster Hunter/Felyne: purely for trophies of the monsters found in the game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Leaks aside, are there characters you support not because you like the character but what he or she and the franchise could bring to Smash?

For me personally:
  1. Goku: reaction videos from DBZ fans and butthurt rage quits by smash purists.
  2. Goku from Yuyuki: trollilololololos from smash fans and butt hurt ragequits from DBZ fans
  3. Scorpion from Mortal Kombat: for the movie theme song and to see Kirby dressed as a undead ninja and yell “GET OVER HERE!!!” as the copy ability followed by a blood splattering uppercut.
  4. Black Shadow: to get Ganondorf’s moveset so Ganondorf can his own based-on-canon moveset.
  5. Chrono: I do like the character but mostly for that music.
  6. Monster Hunter/Felyne: purely for trophies of the monsters found in the game.
Plot twist: We'll get Ganondorf and Black Shadow at the same time and both are Captain Falcon clones. Everyone is happy.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You kidding? Who wouldn't want to participate in an intense Smash tournament at six in the morning?

But seriously, I need to be careful with these PDT times. Can't tell you how many times I counted down the minutes until a Direct started only to realize I was three hours early. It's frustrating, but I guess it's better than being three hours late.
The countdown wouldn't be much of a problem if E3 was located at an east coast city, such as New York. Unfortunately, no matter where you're located, your work schedule can potentially prevent you from viewing the live broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom