• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
The thing is though, if they have a demo on the showfloor, they’ll basically have to show more than three newcomers.

The first Smash Wii U demo had 6 newcomers playable after being at two E3’s and having tons of direct time for reveals prior. This time they only have one direct’s worth of reveals to go off of, unless you count the gameplayless Inkling reveal. I’m guessing at least 5 newcomers will be revealed over the course of E3, unless they’re planning on Snake and the IC’s each carrying the weight of a newcomer.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Wait a second, I just had a crazy thought, and I'm not joking here.

We all reasonably assumed from the trailer that the characters under the logo are all really the characters. But what if they're not? What if they're some sort of clone a la a story mode thing? Like the clones in Subspace Emissary? What if the trailer starts and we see the inklings standing there and Mario just steps up and tugs on his cap and is like "HM!"?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
What happened to that leak about what the E3 setup would look like? Wasn't it going to be Smash-based with character props all over the place? Any news on that? I still have a picture of what the Battlefield stage apparently looks like this time around (a BotW ancient-tech esque circle). If it's right then we'll probably see Shulk/Bayonetta/Duck Hunt etc in the demo or at least footage.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wait a second, I just had a crazy thought, and I'm not joking here.

We all reasonably assumed from the trailer that the characters under the logo are all really the characters. But what if they're not? What if they're some sort of clone a la a story mode thing? Like the clones in Subspace Emissary? What if the trailer starts and we see the inklings standing there and Mario just steps up and tugs on his cap and is like "HM!"?
ezgif-2-14c92d894c.gif

I like where you're going with this. That'd be sure to catch attention real quick.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros switch invitational can't really be compared with the Smash bros Wii U one.

The WiiU invitational happened at E3 2014, 1 full year after the announcement of smash and also after a couple of newcomer trailers came out.

I feel like this time around everything will be rushed. More newcomers shown at E3, more frequent trailers, I mean the game IS releasing this year.

I just hope it still has at least 15 newcomers(Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 all had like 14-17)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is an interesting pre-Brawl poll tally I came across looking at old posts (over 11 years ago):
https://smashboards.com/threads/nin...er-voting-top-21-march-13.99139/#post-2218630

For those who do not want to click on the link:
I tallied all the the votes as of 3:00A.M. last night, and here are the results for the top contenders: (characters with 25 votes or more)

Sonic: 69
Ridley: 61
Diddy Kong: 43
Wolf: 35
King Dedede: 34
Krystal: 32
Ike: 32
Mega Man: 31
Geno: 28
Lucario: 27
Midna: 25

(NOTE: Some may of these may be 1-4 votes more than they should be, because I think I may have counted the votes of people who kept re-posting their lists, but they're pretty accurate for the most part)

Its amazing how Ridley was nearly up there with Sonic in terms of requests. He has been a massively requested character over 17 years now. Nearly every character on this list got confirmed in Brawl or Smash 4 with the exceptions of Ridley, Geno, Krystal, and Midna. I know such polls are not scientific but its an interesting time capsule, nevertheless.

As for those who wonder why K. Rool is not there, much like Dixie Kong now, most of the DK fanbase believed Diddy Kong should be prioritized over him and it was not until August 2007 where K. Rool was finally able to emerge from Diddy's shadow. I wonder if Dixie Kong will see a similar explosion in requests if K. Rool were to be confirmed.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Part of me feels that we might get something more than Ridley and Simon at E3. I just expect at least 3 newcomers to be shown, maybe more. Maybe they might get a bunch of vet reveals out of the way there.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
There will be 3. There was 3 at e3 2013 and 2014, this is their first time showing off the game and they need newcomers for the demo.
They’ll probably show off 5-6 newcomers for the E3 Smash demo. There is barely any information on Smash at this point, so they need to show in a substantial amount of newcomers for people to play as in the demo, not to mention that the game is most likely 90% done at this point, they already have most of the characters, stages, features, and mechanics all fully functioning.

Simon and Ridley won’t be enough for E3, no matter how crazy a Ridley reveal trailer will be, there are still a lot of people who want to see someone other than Ridley (and Simon).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Prediction - King K. Rool won't be at e3 but will be revealed at another date in a trailer alongside Dixie Kong.
Do you think we'll get two newcomers from the same franchise? If it wasn't for unpredictable Corrin, only second newcomers we got were Bowser Jr. and alt characters.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Do you think we'll get two newcomers from the same franchise? If it wasn't for unpredictable Corrin, only second newcomers we got were Bowser Jr. and alt characters.
absolutely possible, however which franchise could be this rich of character potential, my first guess would be automaticly either donkey kong or metroid
DK has k rool and dixie i guess? and metroid has ridley and because he is right now relevnt due to prime 4 and federation force and also in the franchise for a long time, sylux. other franchises would be hard to guess

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Yes I think we will and they will be Dixie and K. Rool. The DK characters in the Smash 4 roster were based on Returns not TF so Dixie will get in this time and King K. Rool is in too high demand to ignore.

Also there have been 2 or newcomers for a single franchise in every game:
In 64 Mario got Mario and Lugi and Pokemon got Pikcahu and Jiggypuff
In Melee Mario got Peach and Bowser, Zelda got Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf and Young Link, Pokemon got Mewtwo and Pichu and FE got Marth and Roy
In Brawl Pokemon got Pokemon trainer and Lucario and Kirby got Meta Knight and Dedede.
In Smash 4 Mario got Rosalina and Bowser Jr and FE got Robin, Lucina and Corrin.

osby

Smash Obsessed
absolutely possible, however which franchise could be this rich of character potential, my first guess would be automaticly either donkey kong or metroid
DK has k rool and dixie i guess? and metroid has ridley and because he is right now relevnt due to prime 4 and federation force and also in the franchise for a long time, sylux. other franchises would be hard to guess
Pokémon, maybe? I won't guess who but there's always that.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
They’ll probably show off 5-6 newcomers for the E3 Smash demo. There is barely any information on Smash at this point, so they need to show in a substantial amount of newcomers for people to play as in the demo, not to mention that the game is most likely 90% done at this point, they already have most of the characters, stages, features, and mechanics all fully functioning.

Simon and Ridley won’t be enough for E3, no matter how crazy a Ridley reveal trailer will be, there are still a lot of people who want to see someone other than Ridley (and Simon).
Also keep in mind that we got 3 the last few E3's but they revealed all the third party characters at E3's before smash 4, which i could see companies wanting nintendo to do and not have them say revealed at some random nintendo direct. we also have like no info on this game and it comes out this year so they need to really drop the newcomers now so the game isnt just playing smash 4 again, people are going to want to try out new characters, and if the vergeben leak is true that mean that ice climbers and snake are returning vets, while simon and ridely are newcomers so it could mean one more newcomer to fit the "3" newcomers at E3 pattern. i suppose there probably isnt any reason to assume due to "returning vets" kind of being newcomers that we'd need another but its worth noting, and i still say just given the time frame until this smash is released and the fact that people want new characters to play as on the show room floor AND that they will most likely show ALL third party characters at E3 rather than some future nintendo direct, they are going to have to drop several characters here.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Pokémon, maybe? I won't guess who but there's always that.
on first glance sure, on the other hand technicly you could put them all there, but they already have a very high fightercount, at this point it should not exeed 2 because its just too much in compairison to the other franchises. but i also remember mario has some, oauline ? i guess she would need a moveset as free as cpt falcon ha gotten one, toad, and waluigi

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yes I think we will and they will be Dixie and K. Rool. The DK characters in the Smash 4 roster were based on Returns not TF so Dixie will get in this time and King K. Rool is in too high demand to ignore.

Also there have been 2 or newcomers for a single franchise in every game:
In 64 Mario got Mario and Lugi and Pokemon got Pikcahu and Jiggypuff
In Melee Mario got Peach and Bowser, Zelda got Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf and Young Link, Pokemon got Mewtwo and Pichu and FE got Marth and Roy
In Brawl Pokemon got Pokemon trainer and Lucario and Kirby got Meta Knight and Dedede.
In Smash 4 Mario got Rosalina and Bowser Jr and FE got Robin, Lucina and Corrin.
In Smash 4, KI also got Palutena and Dark Pit.
SSB also techinically got the 3 Mii Fighters.

Regardless, patterns can get broken. I wouldn't look at this as reason to expect multiple newcomers from one series.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
In Smash 4, KI also got Palutena and Dark Pit.
SSB also techinically got the 3 Mii Fighters.

Regardless, patterns can get broken. I wouldn't look at this as reason to expect multiple newcomers from one series.
I only expect DK to get multiple newcomers

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The invitational better have another moment like this -
I remember when people thought the Rosalina player jumped into the final smash on purpose, only for the dude to tell us later on that he didn't mean to do it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Vergeben got a pretty big boost in credibility today because it's revealed that he allegedly knows the konami titles revealed today on this link:
https://mp1630k065.mapyourshow.com/7_0/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=4XTDjeQv
  • Action/Adventure > Nintendo Switch
  • Compilations > Nintendo Switch
Curiously, there's evidence he knew about these titles since the first of June. Don't take it as Gospel truth though, still a small chance it was a lucky guess I suppose.
The important part to note is that he's pinning this to one of his Smash sources, it's not like with a lot of his other leaks where there isn't a connection to his Smash sources, and I think we can assume that the guy is involved with Konami at this point.

Remains to be seen whether these actually are Castlevania games of course, but it does look plausible.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Just woke up from a 12 hour hibernation.

What....happened?
not much,
though i know that feel, 12 hour sleeps are like time travel, you wake up after felt years

i just realized that nintendo has this little e3 thing going around with bring youre switch to e3. maybe we get the smash demo at e3, i mean they do stuff like that from time to time, like zelda dlc at gameawards

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He has 3 sources for his smash leaks iirc
First guy only says ridleys in
Second guy says Simon, Ridley, and Iciss. Likely associated with bamco or marketing
Third guy is a Konami associate, leaked snake/simon and castlevania stuff
If source 3 is right, chances are 2 is too
Just to clear up any confusion in regards to his sources:

Source 1 (Namco): Ridley is in.

Source 2: No Cuts, Simon, ICs, Ridley at E3, Snake.

Source 3: Ridley at E3, will have presence outside of just his reveal (he approached Vergeben himself, so might be unreliable).

Unclear which source it belongs to: Minecraft representation.

He said on Reddit that he was told about Snake by Source 2. With all of this Konami stuff coming from Source 2, it's very likely that the Castlevania leaks are also coming from him.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyone interested in conquests? Do you think they'll return?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Anyone interested in conquests? Do you think they'll return?
I really just forgot about them and only remembered them being there when I just happened to be playing someone involved.

Not sure if they'll return.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Prediction - King K. Rool won't be at e3 but will be revealed at another date in a trailer alongside Dixie Kong.
I think this would be the ideal scenario. Though I don't know why, but I just have this feeling that we're only getting one or the other. Not sure why I feel this way though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would you mind a Brawl style trailer with multiple newcomers revealed?
It'd be pretty hype.

Though I am hoping they make a custom opening for the game like Melee had. I'm perfectly fine with Brawl and 4's openings but with less trailers this time around I hope they have the budget.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Would you mind a Brawl style trailer with multiple newcomers revealed?
I wouldn't mind. While the character trailers for Smash 4 were excellent, I'll honestly take Smash info anyway I can.

Nintendo's been about condensing multiple reveals into short presentations recently, so if we get a Brawl style trailer you get to pack lots of info into a single hype bomb. They plan to show Smash again immediately after the Direct, so you get to unpack all the stuff and go indepth into individual characters there.

I will, however, miss the splash screens with taglines.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd be up for multiple trailers each revealing multiple characters a time. It'd compliment the shorter announcement-to-release date for the game AND it'd be a good way of having some character interactions. Trailers homaging original scenes or recreating them with Smash characters, that sort of thing.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I just remembered a terrible prediction I made last time, and it gives me shivers all over again;

What if Ridley is in, but it is M:Other M's mid-stage ridley and the Final Smash is Adult form? I'd be so freaking salty I could turn a lake into an ocean.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Oh man, just read all the news about Verge's rumor. I want to believe man.. I'll feel so bad for Ridley's diehard fans if they lose yet another battle.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So guys, I hate to ask but is there anything at this point that could prove Vergeben's leak wrong, besides reaching E3 and there being no signs of Ridley or Simon anywhere?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I just remembered a terrible prediction I made last time, and it gives me shivers all over again;

What if Ridley is in, but it is M:Other M's mid-stage ridley and the Final Smash is Adult form? I'd be so freaking salty I could turn a lake into an ocean.
It won't be. Sakurai wants to represent the character accurately which he hasn't found a way to do so far.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
It won't be. Sakurai wants to represent the character accurately which he hasn't found a way to do so far.
It would be accurate, and it would get around the size issue, which is my point. Mid-Stage ridley is small enough, and the final smash could be as big as Sakurai needs it to be. *shudder*

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
It would be accurate, and it would get around the size issue, which is my point. Mid-Stage ridley is small enough, and the final smash could be as big as Sakurai needs it to be. *shudder*
But he would want the true representation of the character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom