• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So even if the surprise factor would be lost, I'm still hoping for this leak to be real.
I think that even if the surprise factor is diminished by foreknowledge of Simon Belmont and Ridley being in Smash, we can still be surprised with how they look and fight in Smash. My surprise factor was diminished when my most-wanted character for 12 years was leaked, I was still surprised with how Duck Hunt Dog and Duck looked and worked together as a team in Smash.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Hilarious that the only way to quell his fans was to beat them into emotional submission with Smash 4 :p
I can’t imagine being a Smash diehard AND a Ridley fan. I’m on the Ridley train because Metroid is my #1 franchise and he’s a fun villain, so when there’s a new interview with Sakurai explaining how Ridley is a ***** and all of his fans smell like old cans of tuna, I can just laugh it off. I’d imagine that people who like Ridley and treat Sakurai like a god (however small that group may be) must get really down.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Shulk just said "I work on that big game but if I say anything I'm dead"

Also
>Anyone believing IMDb after Epona being voiced by 50-cent
Lmao
Yep...

He pretty much stirred the pot if anything. :p

As for Celica and Pyra's VA's comments, I wanted to give some food for thought. While it's a different game, there is an example that can be brought up here: When Celica was confirmed for FE: Warriors, pretty much everyone assumed that Erica Lindbeck would be returning and of course asked questions about it since they figured since Celica was confirmed, it wouldn't be a problem. Despite that, she either ignored questions about it, or played coy with her tweets and asked why everyone was tweeting her about a Toyota. In either case, she stuck to a position of silence and ambiguity and refused to answer either way, and IIRC she stuck to that until she was able to speak on the role at a later time.

Now, that's just one example and she could've changed tactics, but there is a difference that can be noted between the treatment of that case of a confirmed NDA and how she's handling the situation now. Beforehand, she danced around the issue, here she's just going for the direct approach, so theoretically you can take that to mean that she's being honest and upfront here, at least at the current time.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Hilarious that the only way to quell his fans was to beat them into emotional submission with Smash 4 :p
Ridley fans through the ages in a nutshell
Brawl: "Ridley should be a playable character because I wanna play as a BIG GIANT PURPLE DRAGON, villains rule and ridley is not too big for smash. They obviously wouldn't just add a second samus and not have ridley right? He's gotta be in."
Smash 4: "WHAT?!?! He's not going to be a boss again, he's obviously going to be playable this time, RIGHT?!?! He's super deserving, metroid needs this! The shadow means nothing, he'll totally be playable this is just a misdirect!"
Smash Switch: "I like how he looks, It'd be pretty cool if he got in, he's got a cool design but I don't expect it..."

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
So, Ridley, Simon, Snake, and Ice Climbers, huh?

The latter two would make for some cool returns, and I've softened up towards Ridley given how chill his fans have become.

Simon would be a pretty fun newcomer to have. Though I'm surprised he hasn't been in Smash already considering Castlevania's huge presence on early Nintendo consoles. But Konami is Konami, I guess.

So even if the surprise factor would be lost, I'm still hoping for this leak to be real.
Yes, I know we Ridley fans were obnoxious in the past. Dark times. Thank you my friend <3 This Ridley fan greatly appreciates your support. Also hoping Celica gets in :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So folks...

I want you guys to do something for me.

Rate from 1-10 (10 being guaranteed) how likely you think the Vergeban leak being true is.

And on top of that, rate how likely you would see the following if the leak is false.

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I know we Ridley fans were obnoxious in the past. Dark times. Thank you my friend <3 This Ridley fan greatly appreciates your support. Also hoping Celica gets in :)
<3 Thank you for mutual support of one of my most wanted.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Ridley fans through the ages in a nutshell
Brawl: "Ridley should be a playable character because I wanna play as a BIG GIANT PURPLE DRAGON, villains rule and ridley is not too big for smash. They obviously wouldn't just add a second samus and not have ridley right? He's gotta be in."
Smash 4: "WHAT?!?! He's not going to be a boss again, he's obviously going to be playable this time, RIGHT?!?! He's super deserving, metroid needs this! The shadow means nothing, he'll totally be playable this is just a misdirect!"
Smash Switch: "I like how he looks, It'd be pretty cool if he got in, he's got a cool design but I don't expect it..."
you forgot:

Melee: *everytime a new challanger aproaches*, Now this probably will be Ridley that was teased in the trailer!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So folks...

Rate from 1-10 (10 being guaranteed) how likely you think the Vergeban leak being true is.

And on top of that, rate how likely you would see the following if the leak is false.

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Vergeben leak: 8

Ridley: 5
Simon: 5
Snake: 7
Ice Climbers: 10
No Cuts: 7

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Wonder if my icons are broken.

Nope. All there.

Well there you have it folks. Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, and Jason Voorhees for Smash at E3.
W-wonderful I'm sure they'll fit right in Smash *screams internally in complete horror*

Olo

Smash Cadet
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Vergeben - 1/10

Ice Climbers - 9/10
No Cuts - 1/10
Simon - 1/10
Snake - 0.5/10
Ridley - 0.01/10

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
I'll give the leak a 7.5 for now.

If the leak is false...
Ridley: 2
Simon: 2
Snake: 4
Ice Climbers: 7
No Cuts: 5

Honestly I'm fairly unconvinced that a Konami character other than Snake will be in the game if this leak isn't true. That being said, I still find Snake unlikely. And without this leak, Ridley is still Ridley who is still too big. I would imagine IC's return tho. And no cuts I'm 50/50 on. Sakurai doesn't want to cut any of them, so it's possible they made it happen.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Well, this is nice. Before I rate these things, I should point out that both Snake and Ice Climbers are veterans who have already been in a Smash game, in the case of the Ice Climbers, two of them. Only Ridley and Simon, if the leak is true, could be newcomers, and I am sure we'll get more newcomers than just two of them. I believe there will be more newcomers that Vergeben and others did not cover. Question is, who will they be if the leaks are true? Just wanted to point that out.

That said, I give the leaks a 3 in terms of being true. And 2 for all the things mentions in the leaks, from Ridley to no cuts. Except Ice Climbers, who are a 9 for me.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shulk just said "I work on that big game but if I say anything I'm dead"

Also
>Anyone believing IMDb after Epona being voiced by 50-cent
Lmao
I didn’t even get to see that part...though I kinda would like to see/head that
I think that even if the surprise factor is diminished by foreknowledge of Simon Belmont and Ridley being in Smash, we can still be surprised with how they look and fight in Smash. My surprise factor was diminished when my most-wanted character for 12 years was leaked, I was still surprised with how Duck Hunt Dog and Duck looked and worked together as a team in Smash.
*Mr.Peepers and Quackers
So, Ridley, Simon, Snake, and Ice Climbers, huh?

The latter two would make for some cool returns, and I've softened up towards Ridley given how chill his fans have become.

Simon would be a pretty fun newcomer to have. Though I'm surprised he hasn't been in Smash already considering Castlevania's huge presence on early Nintendo consoles. But Konami is Konami, I guess.

And also the music

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Vergeben i would say nails right now for about an 8-9 propably 9 but only because i rly rly want it to be true

and since ridley has been mentioned very promenently
ridley 9
simon 5
snake 4
ice climbers 10
No Cuts 9

sakurai himself said he wants to keep as many of the characters as he is allowed to in the last 50 minute direct, so he would propably fight for it
and ice cclimbers only limitation was the 3ds, so they have to be back

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
5 on the Vergeben leaks overall. Unless something else develops pre-E3 that makes what he says a hard confirmation (or vice versa), it won't be changing.

• Ridley - 6
  • Simon - 5
  • Snake - 3
  • Ice Climbers - 10
  • No Cuts From Smash 4 - 8

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What about RelaxAlax's tweet about a hint regarding "P"?

Is that rumour dead?

I still think he was hinting Paper Mario, as it is his "Golden Goose" most wanted newcomer.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
I'd give it a 8
There's still a margin to be wrong here, but the fact that Stealth and ResetEra seem to also suggest these rumors are accurate in addition to the fact verge knew about these titles before the konami lineup was shown seems to hint that It's very likely Ridley and Simon Belmont get into smash bros.
Otherwise my ratings would be
Ice Climbers - 10, pretty much guarenteed to return
Snake - 5, being generous, we don't know the circumstances of his removal
Simon - 3, lower than snake, would expect snake to be back first
Ridley - 4, without rumors would lean unlikely due to previous sakurai statements
No cuts - 6, theoretically possible but not the most likely thing for a new title.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
  • Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Leak: 7

Ridley: 5
Simon: 4
Snake: 4
IC: 10
No Cuts: 1

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Is there a thread or something for these "rate/list what you want" games that clutter the thread? I don't mean to be rude, but it sucks coming back to smashboards and seeing 6 or so pages filled with low effort responses to these games. More often than not they don't really lead to meaningful discussion.

Aaaanyways. So what do the stealth posts mean in regards to the vergeben leak? Is there piggybacking going on? Also I want to stress that you guys take this with a grain of salt, he has a REALLY spotty leak history. Vergeben that is.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Well, going by what I've read in this thread alone...
8 I guess? Maybe a 7 instead. Ugh...one or the other.

As for the rest if it's bogus:
Ridley - 4
Simon - 5
Snake - 3
Ice Climbers - 10
No Cuts from Smash 4 - 8

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Leak being true - 6
Ridley - 6 (2 without factoring in leak
Simon - 6 (1 without factoring in leak)
Snake - 7 (4 without factoring in leak)
Ice Climbers - 10 (10 without factoring in leak)
No cuts - 9 (8 without factoring in leak)

kylexv

Smash Master
With this whole Vergeben thing, I decided to spin my prediction roster around the leak just to see what it looked like:
!Roster v2 Compressed.jpg

Looks OK, but a bit lacking in the newcomer department imo.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
SO, turns out there will be standby lines for Smash. I'll probably end up wasting a good chunk of a day, but if Someone doesn't show up at some point I might just get a chance after all.

Continue to pray for me, boyos.

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
I think there is an 8/10 chance of the leak being correct, I already have it set in my mind that they will be in but it hasn't completely sinked in yet.

Ridley- 8/10
Simon- 2/10 (Did people really think about him before Vergeben?)
Snake- 0/10 (If this leak is false I'll doubt he will get in
Ice Climbers- 10/10
No Cuts- 7/10 (I could see maybe Lucina being cut)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
sakurai himself said he wants to keep as many of the characters as he is allowed to in the last 50 minute direct, so he would propably fight for it
and ice cclimbers only limitation was the 3ds, so they have to be back
I hope Sakurai can bring back Squirtle and Ivysaur along with Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf. Solo Squirtle and solo Ivysaur would be fun. Also Pokémon Let’s Go games make them relevant again for the umpteenth time.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Is there a thread or something for these "rate/list what you want" games that clutter the thread? I don't mean to be rude, but it sucks coming back to smashboards and seeing 6 or so pages filled with low effort responses to these games. More often than not they don't really lead to meaningful discussion.

Aaaanyways. So what do the stealth posts mean in regards to the vergeben leak? Is there piggybacking going on? Also I want to stress that you guys take this with a grain of salt, he has a REALLY spotty leak history. Vergeben that is.
Stealth tweeted about Simon Belmont and Castlevania games prior to Vergeben (I believe).
So Vergeben technically could just be using Stealth's information as his own.

Ridley could be from the Resetera mods.

Ice Climbers, a safe bet.

Snake feels like a safe bet based on the Konami rumours.

No cuts, sounds like it's based off Emily Roger's tweet.

Vergeben seems like an amalgamation of leaks from other sources...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Vergeben a 7 - the castlevania thing was the launch button this rumor needed because the Simon Belmont playable thing makes a whole lot more sense now if true piggyback or not

If fake

Ridley - 3 still always a chance sakurai pulls a villager for ridley

Simon 6 now that I know about this castlevania stuff if he knew about before the roster was finalized after he knew this supposive games I say he's in the clear

Snake 2 problem is hideo doesn't work for konami now

Ice climbers 10 it's happening they were meant for smash 4 so try again here

No cuts 7 it accured to me the this is the shortest it took for a smash game so probably reusing assets easily.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
So folks...

• Ridley
  • Simon
  • Snake
  • Ice Climbers
  • No Cuts from Smash 4
Vergeban Leak: 6/10, but I'm still not believing in it for the sake of my wellbeing

Despite all the information about the leak that has come out recently, I would really love to see Ridley and Belmont in Smash, so I'm continuing to not believe in the leak for my own wellbeing. If I believe in it and it turns out he's full of BS, I'd be destroyed. But if I don't believe in it, and it does come true, then I get to be hype as hell.

I've already done a write-up on it here, but a lot of the information in here isn't accurate anymore, due to a lot of things that have recently come out.
I don't believe it for a minute. I know I'm late to this party, but I don't.

Granted, I really don't believe in any leaks unless they're gameplay footage, considering the Rayman leak of yesteryear, but he has a history of editing his leak posts, (noted on reddit by the little *) and seems to get numerous things incorrect.

Just skimming the Nintendo-only section on his most recent of the two posts (that he's edited, mind you), he's said that the January 11th direct would likely focus on some of the following:
  • Metroid Prime 4 ("It will have some presence in the Direct.")
  • A new Animal Crossing game ("which should be covered in the Direct.")
  • A new Pokemon game ("Pokemon Gen 8 should get covered and some kind of highlight in the Direct")
  • GTA V port ("GTAV having a Switch port release and likely around Q3 and highlighted in the Direct is something I heard")
  • Dragon Quest XI ("Dragon Quest XI should be appearing during the January Direct")
  • Undertale ("Undertale coming to Switch and being announced in the January Direct")
And he got nearly none of it right! He didn't mention:
  • The World Ends With You Port
  • Pokken DX
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • New Mario Tennis
  • Ys VIII
  • Luigi's Balloon World
  • Mario + Rabbids DLC
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Celeste
  • Tropical Freeze Port + Funky Kong
None of it. The only thing he got right was that Dark Souls Remastered was a thing, BUT not only did he say he didn't think it would be in the January direct, but the fact that it was multiplatform was announced near minutes after the direct ended, whereas he though it may have been Switch exclusive. And even then, rumors of the game had been spreading before he had ever even said anything about it. (Absolutely no mention of the game in his original post...)

While some of those things eventually did come true (Undertale was announced later on in a March direct, a Wario game was announced as well), we still haven't seen anything else he said we would've seen four months ago. Alongside that, we're still missing other things like Injustice 2, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Soul Calibur VI, Hearthstone (which has literally been deconfirmed, by the way), Killing Floor 2, Nier Automata, amongst many others. No way in hell Fire Emblem 16 is having a May release date when we STILL know nothing about it.

Even still, that's just looking at his Nintendo stuff. I have no goddamn clue how inaccurate is other stuff could be. I didn't bother.

Plus, there's always the case of "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." Saying Ridley is going to be in Smash is a big *** claim (no pun intended). He's likely one of the most hyped up characters not already in the game, and the idea of Konami coming back to work on Smash AND the Ice Climbers returning just add fuel to the hypothetical fire.

As far as I can tell, the sole thing he's gotten right was that the TMNT and Enchantress would be in Injustice 2. But even then, something like that has absolutely jack all to do with Nintendo, the Switch, or Smash.

This whole leak is entirely a matter of "It has characters I like, so it must be legit!" The guy has an extremely incorrect leaking streak, a terrible reputation within the community, is known for constantly editing his posts to make himself look right, and anything he has gotten right has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo. If the exact same guy said that the newcomers were going to be Bad Boxart Mega Man, Fire Flower Mario, and Raichu, no one would believe him.

Or at least, that's my take on it. He could be right. Who knows? Take everything with a pinch of salt.

Also I don't believe it because Simon Belmont and Ridley would make me extremely happy and Smash newcomers almost always let me down so I doubt it
For the other guys, here's what I'd rate them based on the idea that Vergeban doesn't exist:
Ridley: 1/10
Sakurai's said the guy is too big, and he'll probably keep it that way.
Simon: 1/10
Snake: 1/10

Konami's a pain in the butt.
Ice Climbers: 9/10
No reason to have them not come back.
No Cuts from Smash 4: 2/10
It'd be a series first (or second if you want to count Melee) to have a game with no cuts from the previous.

Of course, none of these scores reflect how much I want them. I'd love to have Ridley, Belmont, and Icies in Smash, and Snake returning certainly isn't a bad thing either. I wouldn't be jumping out of my seat over no cuts, but it'd be welcome.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
SO, turns out there will be standby lines for Smash. I'll probably end up wasting a good chunk of a day, but if Someone doesn't show up at some point I might just get a chance after all.

Continue to pray for me, boyos.
Will do.
I hope Sakurai can bring back Squirtle and Ivysaur along with Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf. Solo Squirtle and solo Ivysaur would be fun. Also Pokémon Let’s Go games make them relevant again for the umpteenth time.
As much as I want all the characters to come back for this game, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to, nor would I be upset if Sakurai opted to exclude them again. Especially Ivysaur, he was my least favourite of the trio back in Brawl :p

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Next Tuesday will be the big breakout at E3. So, what I can hopefully expect is to show new gameplay footage(showing Inklings in battle for sure)with atleast a new stage; assuming based on Splatoon or Mario Odyssey, and at the very least two character reveals; one a newcomer & one a veteran.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Stealth tweeted about Simon Belmont and Castlevania games prior to Vergeben (I believe).
So Vergeben technically could just be using Stealth's information as his own.

Ridley could be from the Resetera mods.

Ice Climbers, a safe bet.

Snake feels like a safe bet based on the Konami rumours.

Vergeben seems like an amalgamation of leaks from other sources...
I feel like he's too specific on the castlevania info for it to be only from stealth.
He knew about the compilation title and the new game listed as switch ports on the E3 website, Stealth knew of the rumors of the new title but not both (or their names).

So just to be clear, Verg said Ridley and Simon will revealed at E3?
The entire smash leak was
Ridley, Snake, Simon Belmont, Ice Climbers, No Cuts, and A minecraft represtentation (probably not a character)

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
i did like squirtle, however i doubt he comes back, i think they will put in other more recognizable reps well i would not say no to them however

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Vergeben leak: 5/10 - we will see. Some things are going its way thus far.

Ridley - 2
Belmont - 1
Snake - 2
Ice Climbers - 10

Overall what a shock it would be...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Simon was such a niche character before this leak, watch him become the new Geno.

Not saying no one wanted him or that he shouldn't be in of course.

Still. I want Banjo so so so badly.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
i did like squirtle, however i doubt he comes back, i think they will put in other more recognizable reps well i would not say no to them however
There is no universe in which Decidueye and Mimikyu are more recognizable that Squirtle or Ivysaur (aside from maybe getting mistaken for Bulbasaur). The new ones are more likely to make it in, but that's for marketing rather than being recognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom