• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
At the very least I want All-Star to be random again. It's boring as hell to go through the same sequence of fighters every. Goddamn. Time. For 60~ breakthroughs.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I've been thinking exactly this.

And the exact opposite of this.

I think they're very warry of how we first see the game because it's a very soft sequel of the last game, basically just an expansion-as-sequel. The advantage to this being that they can have a crazy amount of total content since they're starting with a mostly completed game. But if our first look at the game is just a few characters/stages in what basically looks like Smash 4 that's asking for serious backlash. So what they're trying to do is keep everything completely under wraps and concentrate their effort on a single huge, lengthy reveal (E3) that'll let them just continually hammer people with all the stuff they were able to add by starting from a finished game, and they're hoping that will sell people on the concept, or at least generate so much excitement that the backlash get drowned out.

Your theory sounds just as likely as mine to me though so we'll see. :o
Yeah, i kinda had that same theory at first, and while the "game as service" theory may be better in the long run, i do hope that is more akin to the "expansion" idea...

but the thing is, if they have so much content, with probably so much surprises, why they havent showed anything yet? that scenario still lets them reveal the big guns such as some of the big name newcomers in e3, and then more info the other months up until release. but they havent shown not even a new stage, or veterans. or even inklings gameplay :s.

And also, the release date doesnt feel like a date thats have been set to prioritize smash as a full game, rather than an arbitrarty date that benefits other things besides a smash game in the traditional sense we understand them.

Still, lets hope for now that is indeed an expansion :)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So since I'm going to E3 but missed the deadline for Smash, I've been emailing and calling both the E3 support team as well as Nintendo. Sadly, the E3 side told me Nintendo was extremely strict on their policy for playing Smash.

HOWEVER, I got of the phone with Nintendo's Promotional Support Line and they set me up to talk with one of their superiors tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath, but ****in PRAY for me guys, I really don't want to miss this chance and I'd love to give you all my impressions of the game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You know what though?

No matter what happens.

The one thing we all know?

None of us are prepared for what E3 brings. None of us.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know what though?

No matter what happens.

The one thing we all know?

None of us are prepared for what E3 brings. None of us.
None of will be prepared...

Except if an M-rated Yoshi game gets announced, I'll be the only one still standing after a collective heart attack kills every Nintendo fan.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
You guys are wild, I'm at work for 8 hours and you jump 20 pages? Absolutely asinine.

I'm excited for E3, I heard Nintendo will be sending out emails today for attendees to sign up to try Smash Bros Switch. I'm mega hyped for it.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I almost don't want to go to sleep just in case haha
Same, but I'm expecting it to be later in the afternoon (or like 12 hours from now). I have my phone on high alert just in case the email miraculously pops up overnight.
So since I'm going to E3 but missed the deadline for Smash, I've been emailing and calling both the E3 support team as well as Nintendo. Sadly, the E3 side told me Nintendo was extremely strict on their policy for playing Smash.

HOWEVER, I got of the phone with Nintendo's Promotional Support Line and they set me up to talk with one of their superiors tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath, but ****in PRAY for me guys, I really don't want to miss this chance and I'd love to give you all my impressions of the game.
I hope Nintendo is graceful enough to give you a chance. I'd imagine that they wouldn't want anyone going to miss it. Having a deadline on it was a weird choice to begin with.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
You guys are wild, I'm at work for 8 hours and you jump 20 pages? Absolutely asinine.

I'm excited for E3, I heard Nintendo will be sending out emails today for attendees to sign up to try Smash Bros Switch. I'm mega hyped for it.
Yeah, a whole bunch of smash people and Nintendo product ambassadors already confirmed that they got their invitations.

• Anti
  • RogersBase
  • EE
  • Coney
  • Alpharad
  • DC
  • D1
...And that's all I can think of off the top of my head :p

Edit: I did see a tweet where a random twitter user mentioned they got an invite, but I can't find it now :ohwell:

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Yeah, a whole bunch of smash people and Nintendo product ambassadors already confirmed that they got their invitations.

• Anti
  • RogersBase
  • EE
  • Coney
  • Alpharad
  • DC
  • D1
...And that's all I can think of off the top of my head :p
Oh cool, Alpharad. I'm excited, hopefully the email pops up soon, I'm tingling with anxiousness

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Yeah, i kinda had that same theory at first, and while the "game as service" theory may be better in the long run, i do hope that is more akin to the "expansion" idea...

but the thing is, if they have so much content, with probably so much surprises, why they havent showed anything yet? that scenario still lets them reveal the big guns such as some of the big name newcomers in e3, and then more info the other months up until release. but they havent shown not even a new stage, or veterans. or even inklings gameplay :s.

And also, the release date doesnt feel like a date thats have been set to prioritize smash as a full game, rather than an arbitrarty date that benefits other things besides a smash game in the traditional sense we understand them.

Still, lets hope for now that is indeed an expansion :)
They wouldn't show anything yet because of the importance of first impressions. If the game basically looks like Smash 4, that cat is out of the bag as soon as we see any ingame anything, and revealing anything beyond the teaser that we got without accompanying gameplay probably would raise a bunch of red flags for fans. Once that cat's out of the bag there's going to be backlash that requires serious damage control, but with how Nintendo operates they've got at best a portion of a direct and some tweets for that most times. At E3 they've got hours over the course of a day not only to continually make reveals but also to do widely received PR. For any decision they know will be controversial, whether it's a reboot or an expansion or whatever, E3 is the best place to burst the bubble. The only thing that's weird to me, for either theory, is why the released the teaser sooo long before E3, but I guess it's just because that was the nearest direct.

Not really sure what you mean about the release date? Kingdom Hearts 3 is also "2018 exact date tba at E3" and that's just a normal game. Leaving the date TBA until a half year before release is pretty normal and that's where we're at if this game comes out in Q4. And if it is Q4 that's exactly when you'd expect a normal Smash game to come out, but we don't know yet. The fact they didn't announce the game at all till this close to release is weird though yeah, but could mean any number of things.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Maybe they’ll pull a Cloverfield Paradox and end the E3 Smash presentation with “Available Now” :laugh:
I wonder if a lot of people there would be bummed out that they came all that way, spent all that money, and scheduled a time to play something that’d be available at home at just the same time anyway :p

(It’s not like Nintendo hasn’t done stuff like that at E3... like the NA release or Rhythm Heaven Megamix, which they casually mentioned during a Treehouse Live)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly Nintendo, even since the Switch Era, had a very...weird politics for games reveal. Not a single game got announced without being released the same year, or maximum two year of wait.
Compare that to the competition and it's incredible- When Mario Odyssey was announced, no one thought that it would be released the same year, and we knew nothing of the game beside Mario runing, New Donk City and...His hat having eyes (Cappy)
We had to wait E3 to finally have a good Look-
ARMS and Splatoon 2 was the same deal. Announced at the Switch Event, released the same year.

However, the difference was, that we had look at the game, Something... But for this smash, it's like Nintendo was Protecting ANY information that could Leak, which is probably a good enough reason to think that any Rumors are fake.
There probably tons of People under NDA, and in less than a day, the poor Ex-Namco Employee got his account Terminated.
For what?
For Saying he Did a Rendering Engine- which is basically nothing.

Nintendo aren't affraid of the Backslash.
There no way a Backslash happen with a series like Smash.

They're probably putting ALL of their resources on Smash to make it the best game possible on their line up (remember they want 20million Switch for Next Year.) While also avoiding the ERSB and All of the leaks Problem.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe they’ll pull a Cloverfield Paradox and end the E3 Smash presentation with “Available Now” :laugh:

I can't see available now happening seeing as we'd hear about Gamestops and stores getting physical copies of Smash already.

You can only really do ''available now" with strictly digital titles only.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I can't see available now seeing as we'd hear about Gamestops and stores getting physical copies of Smash already.

You can only really do ''available now" with strictly digital titles only.
You should look at the history of the Sega Saturn.
It's a funny one.
Sega were ****ting themselves because of the Jaguar and PlayStation.
So they went at E3, the press conference start and they say "Sega Saturn, 399$, available now."

To this day, I still have no idea how the **** it's possible

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly surprised more large stuff hasn't out right leaked yet. Even the ''leaked" ''leaked" stuff is still up for interpretation and speculation.
The chances will increase every day. Friday especially is when leaks are very likely.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Am I the only one that really likes All-Star mode being in order from youngest to oldest characters? It makes it feel like I'm going through history when I'm fighting.

In fact, let me sort my current predictions because it shows off how much history Smash has.

Wii U and 3DS:
Lycanroc, :4corrinf:, Inkling, Elma, :4greninja::4alph:, Isabelle, :4lucina::4robinm::4darkpit:

Wii and DS:
:4shulk::4bayonetta2::4wiifit::rosalina::4mii::4lucario:, Rhythm Heaven character

Gamecube and Gameboy Advance:
:4lucas::4myfriends::4zss::4tlink::4bowserjr::4feroy::4olimar::4villager:

Nintendo 64 + Pokemon:
:4mewtwo::4jigglypuff::4pikachu::4charizard::4sheik::4ganondorf::4cloud:, Wolf

Late SNES:
Bandana Dee, Rayman, Dixie Kong, :4diddy::4ness: :4metaknight::4falco::4fox:

Early SNES:
:4wario::4dedede::4kirby::4sonic::4falcon::4yoshi:

Late NES:
:4drmario::4marth::4megaman::4ryu::snake:

1986:
:4palutena::4pit:, Simon Belmont, :4samus:, Ridley, Takamaru, Impa, :4zelda::4link:

Early NES:
:4rob::popo::4duckhunt::4peach::4bowser:

Pre-NES Era:
:4littlemac:, Bomberman,:4luigi::4dk::4mario::4pacman::4gaw:, Daitoryo/Sheriff

That's ten rounds.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Am I the only one that really likes All-Star mode being in order from youngest to oldest characters? It makes it feel like I'm going through history when I'm fighting.

In fact, let me sort my current predictions because it shows off how much history Smash has.

Wii U and 3DS:
Lycanroc, :4corrinf:, Inkling, Elma, :4greninja::4alph:, Isabelle, :4lucina::4robinm::4darkpit:

Wii and DS:
:4shulk::4bayonetta2::4wiifit::rosalina::4mii::4lucario:, Rhythm Heaven character

Nintendo 64 + Pokemon:

Late SNES:
Bandana Dee, Rayman, Dixie Kong, :4diddy::4ness::4metaknight::4falco::4fox:

Early SNES:

Late NES:

1986:
:4palutena::4pit:, Simon Belmont, :4samus:, Ridley, Takamaru, Impa, :4zelda::4link:

Early NES:

Pre-NES Era:

That's ten rounds.
Correction: :4villager: is N64 era.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Kinda hope Nintendo has more than Smash at E3, I still get flashbacks to that one year when they had Zelda and nothing else.
they have at least Metroid Prime 4 too.
>Implying they won't show 60% of Smash because the game is so close of release and they need to drop an Information Bomb
>Implying we need anything else than smash in the first place

I want a full Digital Even focused on Smash, revealing Fox as playable and showing how great is Luigi's nose.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
they have at least Metroid Prime 4 too.
If they don’t show Prime 4 because it’s not coming out this year I’m going to have a coronary. You can’t show me something like Metroid ****ing Prime ****ing Four and then go “teehee coming eventually I guess” and then go silent for two years.

On one hand I want to see Prime 4 so bad I can feel it in my toenails. On the other I’m afraid they’ll show it and it’ll be coming out later this year and it’ll be a rushed mess. I just want to be told everything is going to be okay while Samus shoots a few things and they confirm the game is getting a dev cycle as long as it needs.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
>Implying they won't show 60% of Smash because the game is so close of release and they need to drop an Information Bomb
>Implying we need anything else than smash in the first place

I want a full Digital Even focused on Smash, revealing Fox as playable and showing how great is Luigi's nose.
Luigi's nose is great, though...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You can’t show me something like Final ****ing Fantasy ****ing VII the Remake and then go “teehee coming eventually I guess” and then go silent for two years.
Fix'd.
Oh wait. Square did that.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Wii U and 3DS:

Wii and DS:

Nintendo 64 + Pokemon:

Late SNES:

Early SNES:

Late NES:

1986:

Early NES:

Pre-NES Era:

That's ten rounds.
Wow, 1986 was a gold year.

So video in my recommended list, didn't click on it but in the thumbnail it was claiming there was a leak saying the game would have "Smash Boxes" that are bought with real world money.
I'm thinking clickbait.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
It's actually 10

Because one you add th three it's the 5 on each side.
There are six half space in the middle.
Anyway, they will surely AF change the rooster interface. They might even put one with hexagonal cells like in that famouse fake ludricus roster.
The point is: The room left on that rooster interface means they had probably some backplans for the Wii U edition and now they are carring them on the Switch edition.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I really hope that All-Star is changed up in Smash Switch, I really don't want to have to go through and beat 60+ characters in on sitting; it was borderline unbearable in Smash 4 with ~60 characters as it was.
Well! That's the point of the All Stars mode. It's like a marathon. What they really could do to improve it is stopping putting the characters in the same @#% order (please, Nintendo, leave the history lesson for the even matches, if you have to!).
It was funnier in Melee, when you didn't know who you were facing next.
I think they could put the mechanich they used in the "classic" mode in SSB4 instead.
Here is how I see it: At the beginning of the mode your characters has three random groups of opponents to choose from.
Once you beat a group another one will take its place, so you will always have three choices. Sounds fair, doesn't it?
My real issue is withe the "classic" mode.
It should return to it's old glory with both the variabilities of Melee and Brawl combined. Leaving alone the SSB64 matches order, using it maybe for a event match or a story mode.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Wii U and 3DS:

Wii and DS:

Nintendo 64 + Pokemon:

Late SNES:

Early SNES:

Late NES:

1986:

Early NES:

Pre-NES Era:

That's ten rounds.
Yes, I really liked it too.

Especially since the biggest names were towards the end. Gave a sense of building up to something cool.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, but, on an ultra technical level, isn’t there only just one fully unique character not cloned from anything else?
Every character I’d assume reuses coding from other characters (such as coding for basic movement, shields, etc) even though they have different stats for each.
Wow dude. You’re so deep I can’t even see you down there.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Any new leaks since last night?
Beside the Persona 5 switch fake rumor from yesterday night that did lead to a pretty great discussion, I don't think so-
Though today on 4chan there was a rumor about Waluigi/Spyro/Crash/Shovel Knight in smash.

But since it was a whole Direct Leak- I decided to not relay it. Beside, it's probably 100% fake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom