• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Even if that is true, why do you insist that Dixie can't possibly have her own unique moveset?
I never said that. You have to listen to what people are actually saying and respond accordingly in order for the conversation to work.

I just explained why Dixie would objectively be a clone by providing past examples. This is like saying "You don't KNOW Dark Pit would be a clone! You don't KNOW Wolf would be a clone"

Just because you are a clone, doesn't mean you wouldn't be unique. And just because you are unique, doesn't mean that you wouldn't be a clone.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Dixie and Diddy are more like Luigi and Mario, really. Some completely different moves and physics, but some very similar ones too (and even the similar looking moves have different properties).
I don't see what's so hard for people to understand about that.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Dixie and Diddy are more like Luigi and Mario, really. Some completely different moves and physics, but some very similar ones too (and even the similar looking moves have different properties).
Not really though, in the Mario games Mario and Luigi largely play identically except for the fact that luigi is slippery and has a higher jump. Meanwhile Dixie has a glide ability, she picks up items using her hair and unlike Diddy's cartwheel she has a hair spin that was later changed to a pirouette. They could share misc animations because of their similar builds but in terms of an actual moveset her playing anything like Diddy would entirely misrepresent the character, it'd be like if DK and Diddy were clones of one another, in the actual DKC games those 2 are actually closer in gameplay than dixie is to diddy.

Dixie and Diddy really can't have a similar moveset, it just wouldn't work for Dixie's character since her power has always relied in using her hair, she wouldn't fit Diddy's up-close, aggressive, physical moveset whatsoever, she wouldn't be using her fists to fight like diddy does and her slower and more methodical approach to platforming in the games should be reflected in a slower more aerial based playstyle

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
@Imadethistoseealeak
Bradli Wartooth Bradli Wartooth
MoonlitIllusion MoonlitIllusion
Pokechu Pokechu
@Pacack
I have the strange feeling that you guys don't actually know how clones work. I actually I know it for a fact. Because you are objectively wrong about the process by which clones happen/don't happen.

1. Clones are a result of characters who can be built from a similar model, animations, and ABILITIES with the base character. The fact that said character has their own uniqueness separate from the base character, is not a determining factor that they would not be a clone. Clones have their own unique traits, and yet they are still clones. Dark Pit has his staff and electroshock arm, Lucas uses different PSI abilities, Wolf has claws, a unique posture, and several of his own unique moves and ways of performing them.
  2. Characters that share similar models, animations, abilities are reserved as lower priority characters that are added late in development because they can be made easily by borrowing those assets, and because those traits make them less unique than other characters. The fact that Dixie shares a similar model, animations, and abilities with Diddy is what determines that she would in fact be a clone added late in development, because she can be made quicker that way.
  3. Dixie Kong objectively has a similar model to Diddy, which means she can easily borrow moves, animations, and abilities from Diddy. The Gumball Gun and Monkey Flip are examples of this.
So when you say "Why can't Dixie be unique?", it's just as ridicolous as saying "Why can't Lucas be unique? Why can't Wolf be unique? Why can't Toon Link be unique?"

Just because these characters COULD be unique, doesn't mean that they ARE or that they WILL BE. There's a reason Lucas doesn't have unique PSI abilities, or why Toon Link doesn't have his own items or weapons, or why Robin was chosen over Chrom.

And the nuance of this needs to be established. The big determining factors are, firstly, the model structure. This is the first requirement, because once you have this, you can then move on to animations. So when a character has a similar model, which then gives them similar animations, they can then perform similar abilities.

So for example
  • Rosalina may look similar to Peach, but her different model (such as her dress) prevents her from performing the same animations as Peach, which, in combination with her canonical lack of said abilities, prevents her from performing similar abilities.
  • Someone like Dixie, has a very similar model, which allows her to perform some of the same animations as Diddy, which in turn allows her to perform similar abilities, like the Gumball Gun and Monkey Flip. However, as mentioned, she DOES have unique abilities such as her hair and guitar, but this only means some of her non special attacks and her final smash would be different. No that her entire move set would be. That would be like saying that Wolf has claws so he would be an entirely different character.
Oh that actually makes sense, thanks for explaining that! Although I still disagree a little bit

It is true that Dixie and Diddy are similar size, but that doesn't mean she is incredibly likely to be a clone. Many of Diddy's moves would be out of character for Dixie and look at Bowser Jr.; he could have easily borrowed Bowser's (and Squirtle's) moveset. Jr. isn't Bowser's size but Toon Link obviously isn't Link's size. But instead Bowser Jr was given his own unique moveset.

So now I wouldn't be surprised if Diddy and Dixie share some moves but as a whole I think Dixie would still be unique. I feel like their shared moves would essentially just be like the counters every swordsman seems to have. Diddy and Dixie would share some moves but they'd still pretty much be unique from each other imo.

I think what prompted me and the other users is how you said that Dixie would absolutely be a clone or semi clone
Dixie Kong is unfortunately unlikely. In the last Super Smash Bros game, Sakurai specifically stated he didn't want to add any clone newcomers, and the only reason Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were added was because they were originally costumes that were separated. And don't try to tell me Dixie Kong wouldn't be a clone/semi-clone, because that's just incorrect.
While I think it's likely that Dixie and Diddy would inevitably share some moves I think they'd still work somewhat differently and they wouldn't share enough moves to be classified as a clone. For the most part they'd have their own movesets, which isn't what I'd call a clone or semi clone.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
@Imadethistoseealeak
Bradli Wartooth Bradli Wartooth
MoonlitIllusion MoonlitIllusion
Pokechu Pokechu
@Pacack
I have the strange feeling that you guys don't actually know how clones work. I actually I know it for a fact. Because you are objectively wrong about the process by which clones happen/don't happen.

1. Clones are a result of characters who can be built from a similar model, animations, and ABILITIES with the base character. The fact that said character has their own uniqueness separate from the base character, is not a determining factor that they would not be a clone. Clones have their own unique traits, and yet they are still clones. Dark Pit has his staff and electroshock arm, Lucas uses different PSI abilities, Wolf has claws, a unique posture, and several of his own unique moves and ways of performing them.
  2. Characters that share similar models, animations, abilities are reserved as lower priority characters that are added late in development because they can be made easily by borrowing those assets, and because those traits make them less unique than other characters. The fact that Dixie shares a similar model, animations, and abilities with Diddy is what determines that she would in fact be a clone added late in development, because she can be made quicker that way.
  3. Dixie Kong objectively has a similar model to Diddy, which means she can easily borrow moves, animations, and abilities from Diddy. The Gumball Gun and Monkey Flip are examples of this.
So when you say "Why can't Dixie be unique?", it's just as ridicolous as saying "Why can't Lucas be unique? Why can't Wolf be unique? Why can't Toon Link be unique?"

Just because these characters COULD be unique, doesn't mean that they ARE or that they WILL BE. There's a reason Lucas doesn't have unique PSI abilities, or why Toon Link doesn't have his own items or weapons, or why Robin was chosen over Chrom.

And the nuance of this needs to be established. The big determining factors are, firstly, the model structure. This is the first requirement, because once you have this, you can then move on to animations. So when a character has a similar model, which then gives them similar animations, they can then perform similar abilities.

So for example
  • Rosalina may look similar to Peach, but her different model (such as her dress) prevents her from performing the same animations as Peach, which, in combination with her canonical lack of said abilities, prevents her from performing similar abilities.
  • Someone like Dixie, has a very similar model, which allows her to perform some of the same animations as Diddy, which in turn allows her to perform similar abilities, like the Gumball Gun and Monkey Flip. However, as mentioned, she DOES have unique abilities such as her hair and guitar, but this only means some of her non special attacks and her final smash would be different. No that her entire move set would be. That would be like saying that Wolf has claws so he would be an entirely different character.
Gotta say I agree with this.

This is the reason why Sakurai eluded to why Krystal isn't in the game as a Fox clone, because the staff she has is an active element that is unique to her and thus would make her move and attack differently than the other space animals.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm not a fan of this word around Art or game design at least when talking about clones in this context.

Art has a lot of different directions and with game design and characters there are things you can do to change stuff depending on your audience or what the vision the person behind it has.

It might work for some but it might not work for others. Depends a lot on your audience, which is mostly a collective opinion that is subjective. But if I were to judge this on a lot of common consensus, I would say for clones I think people want them to be close enough to be similar but not so much to where they don't stand out enough. I do think Dark Pit very much fits into this where he is too close to being another Pit where as Roy is similar but has his own style and game play with it. At least this is if I am judging a lot of common reactions after the game has been out. I think with Dixie she has some things you can truly make different from Diddy to make her a kind of Wolf like character or even her own thing. It would depend on what they would be looking for at least for an audience.

You could treat her like more flavors of lets say pasta sauce or you can make her a new brand. Both could be valid but again it does depend on what direction people would want to go.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
look at Bowser Jr.; he could have easily borrowed Bowser's (and Squirtle's) moveset. Jr. isn't Bowser's size but Toon Link obviously isn't Link's size. But instead Bowser Jr was given his own unique moveset.
Boswer Jr. never really uses anything similar to Bowser if I'm recalling correctly. While Links are always fairly similar in the games.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Since the topic came up, I thought I should do some digging.

Nintendo Franchises by Sales:
S+::4mario:(Sales > 625 Million)
S: :4pikachu: (Sales > 300 Million)
S-: :4mii: (Sales > 200 Million)
AAA: :4link: (Sales > 100 Million)
AA: :4wiifit::4dk: (Sales >50 Million)
A+: :4gaw::4kirby:, Smash Bros. (Sales > 35 Million)
A: :4villager::4yoshi:(Sales > 30 Million)
A-: :4duckhunt::4wario2:, Nintendogs (Sales > 20 Million)
B+: :4samus:(Sales > 15 Million)
B: :4fox::4marth::4luigi:, Splatoon (Sales >10 Million)
B-: :4falcon::4olimar:, Excite, Nintendo Land (Sales ~ 5 Million)
C: :4littlemac:(Sales ~ 3-5 Million)
D: :4pit: (Sales ~ 3 Million)
E: :4shulk: (Sales ~ 1.9 Million)
Even I didn't think Yoshi sold that much...
Wait, Kirby sold only 5 million more than Yoshi despite having like 4 times the games?!!!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I could honestly see Dixie pulling a Lucas/Wolf; while using Diddy's moveset as a base for her specials (with DK's Up B) and a few standard moves, she could still be given unique moves that make her play differently from Diddy (namely, a good number of hair based attacks).

Not saying that she will be a semi clone or anything, but it's a possibility.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Boswer Jr. never really uses anything similar to Bowser if I'm recalling correctly. While Links are always fairly similar in the games.
The fire breathing, swiping his claws (which tbh is most of bowser's moveset now that i'm thinking about it lol), most of the shell attacks

Honestly there's not many moves Bowser does that wouldn't make sense for Bowser Jr. A blend between Squirtle and Bowser wouldn't be out of character for him imo

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Not that I even said anything in this conversation at all, but since I was tagged in it for w/e reason, I guess I'll say how I feel about it.

Yeah, Dixie could easily be a Diddy clone. That's pretty obvious. The point many are trying to make, as well as the point I'd try to make if I was even actually in this conversation, is that there is still not guarantee that she would be a clone because she has plenty of other attributes to pull from to make her completely different, not to mention several of Diddy's moves would be out of character for her. To speak in definites is just wrong since you know as much about the game as anyone: That Inklings, Mario, and Link are in the game. We have no basis, besides the fact that they're both monkeys, to assume Dixie will be a clone.

While I personally think she will be a "clone" in the sense that they use Diddy to establish the base model, I think she will be as much a clone of Diddy as Jiggs is to Kirby, in that they are clones in only the most basic of ways: borrowing a skeleton to build on.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Yeah it is definitely possible that Dixie could be a clone of Diddy. I mean, I don't want that to be the case, but the fact of the matter is that outside of DK64, Dixie and Diddy play almost identical aside from Dixie's hair twirl. And even then, that kinda makes sense as Dixie has never used the jet pack so that's an easy swap.
  • No reason she wouldn't have banana peels.
  • No reason she would shoot a reskinned Peanut (Gumball).
  • No reason she wouldn't do the little Monkey Flip.
  • No reason her Smash/Tilt attacks would have to be different.
Also, I'm a big Dixie supporter, but I have to be real with myself that that is a possibility.

She could keep her personality too.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I dunno why people keep saying stuff like "Dixie Kong would be an unimaginative/derivative clone character." She has a virtual (snark) treasure trove of unique characteristics and distinctions that make her wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different from the other Kongs. Floating around with her hair is just one of them.

...this also is kinda the flipside of my frustration with the clones that were implemented in Smash 4 (sans Doc). Lucina and Dark Pit have a boatload of traits and things that would make them actual compelling characters to play as. Why Sakurai decided to just plop them in with such a sorry staid state is beyond me, but deadlines are very crunchy in the gaming industry and having more stuff to goof off with is better than not having stuff to goof off with, I suppose.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I never said that. You have to listen to what people are actually saying and respond accordingly in order for the conversation to work.

I just explained why Dixie would objectively be a clone by providing past examples. This is like saying "You don't KNOW Dark Pit would be a clone! You don't KNOW Wolf would be a clone"

Just because you are a clone, doesn't mean you wouldn't be unique. And just because you are unique, doesn't mean that you wouldn't be a clone.
TBH, after reading your previous few posts, it just sounds like the real problem here is that you have a different definition and criteria for what makes a character a clone, what makes a character unique, and how those factor into the referral to the overall character than I do.

The reason why I asked why you thought that Dixie couldn't have an original moveset isn't because I didn't read your post, but rather, because I did read your post. What I didn't perhaps do, however, was read it the way you meant for it to be read.

lmao that was not the reply i was expecting
This kind of response is actually quite common, not even just here, but in comment sections in general. You get used to it after a while, it happens all the time.

This is a really good way of putting it.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Even I didn't think Yoshi sold that much...
Wait, Kirby sold only 5 million more than Yoshi despite having like 4 times the games?!!!
Pacack probably got the list from this website:
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Nintendo_games#cite_note-wikipedia-8

It says: * This entry uses numbers from VGChartz, so may be questionable

Here is the Kirby one: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Kirby
Several games like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse don't have sales because their sales are "unknown".

The Yoshi one: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Yoshi
It has all the games with sales unlike Kirby's page, it also says Yoshi sold 29.17 millions and that's not more than 30 millions like Pacack said.

In summary, Yoshi will be cut in Smash Switch and we will get 10 Kirby newcomers.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
TheLastJinjo said:

So for example
I find it distressing that you talk about objective truth with bullet points and then insinuate that Wolf is a clone.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I find it distressing that you talk about objective truth with bullet points and then insinuate that Wolf is a clone.
He is a type of clone, though. That's why he even made it into Smash.

Clones are basically retools of an existing character. Wolf still counts as one. The term "semi-clone" is fanmade, but it doesn't change his origins. Jigglypuff is the first similar case known at this point, sharing a ton of Kirby's model and moves. A lesser known one would be Ness, using a similar model to Mario to be created. Though to be fair, he doesn't have much else in common otherwise.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
He is a type of clone, though. That's why he even made it into Smash.

Clones are basically retools of an existing character. Wolf still counts as one. The term "semi-clone" is fanmade, but it doesn't change his origins. Jigglypuff is the first similar case known at this point, sharing a ton of Kirby's model and moves. A lesser known one would be Ness, using a similar model to Mario to be created. Though to be fair, he doesn't have much else in common otherwise.
I know you know this, but the type of recycling that Wolf uses is not comparable to the type of recycling that Falco uses outside of specials. He's not a clone, he's just low-effort, but he still doesn't play like the other two Space animals because he only shares a couple of moves with them. You can also see that the insinuation is reinforced at the bottom of the post that I quoted where he implies Wolf isn't unique despite his claws, even though he happens to be designed in large part around using his claws to attack, unlike Fox and Falco.
Wolf is a "semi-clone" of Fox like Lucario is a "semi-clone" of Mewtwo because their neutral specials are the same.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Oh, I got it teach....

Wait what was the different again?
As was pointed out to me, Batman's Joker is referred to in numerous ways, which is rather unfortunate.

Unrelated, glad to see you rocking the Zeraora icon I made, and even better to see that my icons are not among to broken images.
EDIT: RIp, my Bewear icon broke, but the rest seem fine. Goodnight, sweet prince...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know you know this, but the type of recycling that Wolf uses is not comparable to the type of recycling that Falco uses outside of specials. He's not a clone, he's just low-effort, but he still doesn't play like the other two Space animals because he only shares a couple of moves with them. You can also see that the insinuation is reinforced at the bottom of the post that I quoted where he implies Wolf isn't unique despite his claws, even though he happens to be designed in large part around using his claws to attack, unlike Fox and Falco.
Wolf is a "semi-clone" of Fox like Lucario is a "semi-clone" of Mewtwo because their neutral specials are the same.
Lucario was not created by using assets from Mewtwo, so it's not comparable.

Every clone explicitly came from a previous character, reusing the model and/or moveset. In Wolf's case, it was more taking the moves than the model itself and reapplying them.

Look, I get why people don't like calling him a clone, but he's still a type of clone. Semi-clone is still a type of clone. He's the most interesting "clone" because like some others(namely 3 out of 4 of them in Smash 64), they didn't just copy-paste moves onto him but completely retooled him while using a base moveset and animations. Wolf is a beautiful mishmash(though is a clone by how the development of Smash works), and that's fine.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Every clone explicitly came from a previous character, reusing the model and/or moveset. In Wolf's case, it was more taking the moves than the model itself and reapplying them.

Look, I get why people don't like calling him a clone, but he's still a type of clone. Semi-clone is still a type of clone. He's the most interesting "clone" because like some others(namely 3 out of 4 of them in Smash 64), they didn't just copy-paste moves onto him but completely retooled him while using a base moveset and animations. Wolf is a beautiful mishmash(though is a clone by how the development of Smash works), and that's fine.
Wolf is the type of clone that we all need.

Dark Pit is the kind that we do not.

We want them to play differently, look different, have different standard attacks, and simply be 'inspired by' rather than 'copied from'.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
As was pointed out to me, Batman's Joker is referred to in numerous ways, which is rather unfortunate.

Unrelated, glad to see you rocking the Zeraora icon I made, and even better to see that my icons are not among to broken images.
EDIT: RIp, my Bewear icon broke, but the rest seem fine. Goodnight, sweet prince...
Can you make me an icon of a THICC joker? plz

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wolf is the type of clone that we all need.

Dark Pit is the kind that we do not.

We want them to play differently, look different, have different standard attacks, and simply be 'inspired by' rather than 'copied from'.
Eh, I don't see how Dark Pit is the wrong type of clone myself. What I do see wrong is him having almost zero differences that makes it hard to play either differently, which means that their metagame can't evolve well. Lucina's not much different.

I'd love more Dr. Marios(Smash 4) and Wolfs. But... it's not always going to be that way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I don't see how Dark Pit is the wrong type of clone myself. What I do see wrong is him having almost zero differences that makes it hard to play either differently, which means that their metagame can't evolve well. Lucina's not much different.

I'd love more Dr. Marios(Smash 4) and Wolfs. But... it's not always going to be that way.
Does their meta game needs to evolve? I people think they are that similar, they can just pretend they are like Alph.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does their meta game needs to evolve? I people think they are that similar, they can just pretend they are like Alph.
But he's not like Alph. He still has differences. This is enough that people use different playstyles. It's just overly difficult to try new strategies when the character has little to work with. Lucina doesn't fare nearly as bad.

I'd say yes, it is important to have differences, enough to let people try new and unique things. You're going to see lots of different fun strategies even in things like For Fun. But that is pretty hard to do when there's almost no tangible differences(Lucina at least has to try something a bit different due to her overall stat differences, which while not much, are still something that separates her from Marth).

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

I don't want to squabble, but you're either wrong or using a bad definition. A clone is a duplicate with some changes. It can be overly near like Doc or relatively distant like Luigi (or very distant like Jiggs). Wolf is not like that, because there is not a singular other thing that he comes from. Because he's a patchwork it doesn't make sense because he's not a clone of someone.
I have nothing against clones, my favorite characters after Falcon are Melee Doc and Ganon, it's not about me be blinded by negative connotations. What it is is that using "clone" in any case of recycling of assets rather than assets meaningfully centered on another particular character is descriptively unhelpful.
It's not letting me timestamp, but go to the round that starts at 2:37, you'll get the idea after a few seconds.
Player 1's character, Down, is not a clone. He's a bunch of sprites stitched together from the rest of the cast, like an exaggeration of Wolf. He's not a clone of any of them, though he's made entirely of recycled assets.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't want to squabble, but you're either wrong or using a bad definition. A clone is a duplicate with some changes. It can be overly near like Doc or relatively distant like Luigi (or very distant like Jiggs). Wolf is not like that, because there is not a singular other thing that he comes from. Because he's a patchwork it doesn't make sense because he's not a clone of someone.
I have nothing against clones, my favorite characters after Falcon are Melee Doc and Ganon, it's not about me be blinded by negative connotations. What it is is that using "clone" in any case of recycling of assets rather than assets meaningfully centered on another particular character is descriptively unhelpful.
Using a ****post example:
It's not letting me timestamp, but go to the round that starts at 2:37, you'll get the idea after a few seconds.
Player 1's character, Down, is not a clone. He's a bunch of sprites stitched together from the rest of the cast, like an exaggeration of Wolf. He's not a clone of any of them, though he's made entirely of recycled assets.
You're trying to use a different definition from what Sakurai is doing. All he's doing is taking a character and creating another character using their assets as a base. His way of creating clones isn't similar to other games at all. He has more than one way to do one, as he has unique development processes. The only thing in common is that most clones were last minute(Toon Link is one of the few exceptions to this, but to be fair, he was a retool of Young Link's role, so it was pretty much just a vet with a new paint job. On the other hand, Jigglypuff is usually done last, despite being a vet).

Wolf is like this(retool of Fox). Lucario is not like this(he is not a retool of Mewtwo). Jigglypuff is like this(retool of Kirby). Ike is not like this(not a retool of Roy). I could go on. Wolf still is by definition a type of clone. As he's taking and reusing another character as an overall base.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

I think the problem here is that some people only see moveset clones as clones, whereas others just use the term clone to refer to characters built off of other characters in general.

In terms of full clones in regards to moveset clones, Smash 4 would only have Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario. But in terms of Clones as in character build and development method, there's a lot more.

I might be wrong, but that's how this all looks to me.
I find it distressing that you talk about objective truth-
TBH, that's my biggest problem with that post.

Regardless of how solid the point is, stating it as the objective truth when the character in question who the "truth" is meant to apply to hasn't even come into fruition yet is just pretty annoying.
1:1 clones shouldn't be in an all-star mascot fighter in general
I personally disagree, but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom