• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I have no clue how to read this, but if you're right sounds like we will only get two trailers or so for the game and not a full in depth with Sakurai :/.

Unless everything else is only going to take 10-15 minutes lol.
We could still get an in depth video from Sakurai, the one detailing the newcomers at E3 2013 wasn't present in the Direct and was just uploaded on Nintendo's E3 site. Alternatively he could also get a Treehouse segment like other developers have had for their games before, with Bill translating for him.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
smash is non-union which would explain why steve burton wasn't called in and why all the unionized va's are uncredited or replaced. it could also be NOA being cheap ****s but i'm pretty confident its union stuff.
From what I've read, it's to do with unions and Burton's contract with Square. Union VAs aren't allowed to be credited in non-union titles and Nintendo doesn't work with trade unions. VAs can still do voice work but have to forego being credited. As part of Burton's contract with Square, however, he has to be credited. Since he wouldn't be able to do the voice work and be credited, he couldn't voice Cloud in Smash.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I was kinda being sarcastic. It feels like we talk about Captain Toad every two hours.
I'm pretty neutral on Captain Toad, but 95% of the time he's discussed, it's about his inability to jump, which, is getting very old at this point. We are all dying for some news though, so I can understand why repeated topics are a thing. I guess we could talk about Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, or Pokemon for the millionth time. :smirk:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
>Including the recently announced Smash Bros Game.

I'm scared that it won't be the main focus of E3 with that wording. I swear to God if we only get one trailer/one postcredit surprise for smash and get a 15 Min developer talk for Yoshi I will riot.
No the opposite

The game they mention here usually ends up the most focused on

Plus E3 is not a 1 day thing first day was villager megaman and Wii fit trainer thr last day revealed palutena (and secretly dark pit) and PAC-man for smash 4

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Okay, now that's just a bad comparison altogether.

Regardless of which one is more popular, saying something like that is just dumb.
DKC Returns trumps every recent FE game in terms of sales with +6 million copies sold. Tropical Freeze, unlike #FE, sold +1 million copies on the unsuccessful Wii U.
Is it still cool to share roster's for thought? Might as well get it in before anything leaks or we have something more interesting than penis demons to talk about.
A no-cut scenario is not something I can believe in.

Well... I guess Pyra and probably Rex are truly deconfirmed.
Ok, people are crying fake. So to be safe I’m taking the imdb listing with a pinch of salt. I’m sure they’d let the cast know before listing it on imdb, lol. I suppose what we learned this morning was that I really wasn’t lying when I said I haven’t heard anything about Smash!— Skye Bennett (@skyedevabennett) June 5, 2018
If she was under NDA she wouldn't pay attention at all, nor answered.
Though we could get a Roy/Marth/Cloud situation with Japanese voices.
Interesting.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have no clue how to read this, but if you're right sounds like we will only get two trailers or so for the game and not a full in depth with Sakurai :/.

Unless everything else is only going to take 10-15 minutes lol.
I'm going to expect a mix between Smash's presence at E3 2013 and 2014. The direct will feature 2 trailers or so, with a quick dive into gameplay and information (like 2014). Then the Treehouse will be more of a deeper analysis and runthrough, like that 10-15 minute video that came out after E3 2013 that went over some basics, while also revealing WFT. Plus the treehouse will probably have some more gameplay, stages, characters, etc., and plus we also have the invitational tournament.

That gives us time for games like Yoshi, FE, Pokemon, the slew of June/July relates, as well as anything new.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
"Of course, I will introduce something. It's been a while..."

Yes it has, only a week until we know all the good stuff!

Anyway, I'm glad the E3 Direct focuses on Switch-titles only. We're bound to get more in-depth stuff at the Treehouse as well. And I'm sure they'll surprise us with some 3DS stuff there as well (like with Samus Returns last year).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is it still cool to share roster's for thought? Might as well get it in before anything leaks or we have something more interesting than penis demons to talk about.

My boyfriend helped me make it actually pretty and helped me feel less self-conscious about posting it :happysheep:.
Overall pretty normal I think, part popular prediction picks, part wishlist, part Vergeben "leak".

Willing to discuss some of my picks, but unless you've got some insider info probably not gunna convince me to change it until after E3 lol.
That's actually almost identical to what I'm predicting. Dixie over K. Rool, a Champion, Ridley, Bandana Dee, no FE newcomers, and Rex/Pyra over Elma.

The only differences are (1) I think Takamaru is getting in over Balloon Fighter since Villager stole the key gimmick, and (2) I feel like Lycanroc has gotten more promotion by Game Freak.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Actually makes sense turns out Rex and pyra were not till 2016 their development begin that's year the roster was finalized

Safe to say the marth and Roy scenario won't happen for them

That's good news for Elma and mythra chances

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Okay! Gee, that makes me Hyped!
Let's play a game!
How many third parties announced this E3?
And Who?

It's not a wishlist, but more like, who do you think might get in-

After all, we need our Surprise guest in it!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's play a game!
And Who?

Just one. I don't have a prediction but...Simon Belmont, maybe?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here's something we never talk about in this thread. Captain Toad!

Found this awesome moveset for our fungus friend. The guy who made it really went above and beyond with the animations.
Hey, thanks a lot!

Took about two months(albeit juggling around full time work, conventions, etc) but I finally finished the dang thing last Sunday.

Was a lot of fun and hopefully will help people visualise how Captain Toad could work even if they insist he isn't allowed to jump.

He's got no ability to jump himself here(aside from using the Switch mechanic and wall walk and the huge up special) but unlike fellow 'not an air fighter' Little Mac, he's got a myriad of fancy tools to help him back to the stage so he's not utterly useless in the air...he just can't get into the air easily without manipulating the stage or enemies....just like in Treasure Tracker!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That's actually almost identical to what I'm predicting. Dixie over K. Rool, a Champion, Ridley, Bandana Dee, no FE newcomers, and Rex/Pyra over Elma.

The only differences are (1) I think Takamaru is getting in over Balloon Fighter since Villager stole the key gimmick, and (2) I feel like Lycanroc has gotten more promotion by Game Freak.
Yea I feel like this is a pretty common hopeful roster lol. I have Takamaru and Balloon Fighter because we've always gotten two retro reps, but I know I'm blurring the lines of a retro hardware rep and I also know patterns are made to be broken.

As for Pokemon it honestly is a toss up. The only thing I disagree with is that Decideueye is the only option.

Also with people bringing up the developer conference Sakurai had we're he revealed Wii Fit in 2013 and Pac Man in 2014...were these announced a head of time? I always remember them just kind of happening.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Let's play a game!
And Who?

Five of them. Shantae, Rayman, Sora, Joker, and Amaterasu. I know its a lot but these characters have a good chance.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Plus E3 is not a 1 day thing first day was villager megaman and Wii fit trainer thr last day revealed palutena (and secretly dark pit) and PAC-man for smash 4
Uhhh those were different years, not different days. Villager, Megaman, WFT were E3 2013, Palutena and Pac-man were E3 2014.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Let's play a game!
And Who?

Sora.

I'm kidding.

I'm going to expect just one at E3. A lot of people are saying and expecting Simon Belmont, but I don't want to place a lot of stock into it just yet, so I'll go Rayman or Lara Croft.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hey, thanks a lot!

Took about two months(albeit juggling around full time work, conventions, etc) but I finally finished the dang thing last Sunday.

Was a lot of fun and hopefully will help people visualise how Captain Toad could work even if they insist he isn't allowed to jump.

He's got no ability to jump himself here(aside from using the Switch mechanic and wall walk and the huge up special) but unlike fellow 'not an air fighter' Little Mac, he's got a myriad of fancy tools to help him back to the stage so he's not utterly useless in the air...he just can't get into the air easily without manipulating the stage or enemies....just like in Treasure Tracker!
Well, it was definitely one of the most creative concepts for a non-jumping Captain Toad. I don't think anyone else has made something nearly as unique as what you came up with.

Also with people bringing up the developer conference Sakurai had we're he revealed Wii Fit in 2013 and Pac Man in 2014...were these announced a head of time? I always remember them just kind of happening.
WFT and Pac-Man were really random and quiet E3 announcements that most people (who didn't sell their soul to Smash speculation) didn't find out about until the next day. Not sure if they'd do that again, but seeing how we only have a few months until this game comes out, I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, a whole bunch of smash people and Nintendo product ambassadors already confirmed that they got their invitations.

• Anti
  • RogersBase
  • EE
  • Coney
  • Alpharad
  • DC
  • D1
...And that's all I can think of off the top of my head :p

Edit: I did see a tweet where a random twitter user mentioned they got an invite, but I can't find it now :ohwell:
Isn't Mew2King an ambassador too?

Shouldn't he get an invite as well?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well as for me...
I'll believe in the Rumor saying that Belmont is in. But ithink two third party will be in the game.
On as the Trailer opening.
The other at the end card the classic "But here's one more thing. Please take a look"

I really want to say Sora because of the Timing to get KHIII out and big news for the game at E3 and Smash Switch would be basically too good to be true.

But I'm going with a safer guess and say Rayman.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
We could still get an in depth video from Sakurai, the one detailing the newcomers at E3 2013 wasn't present in the Direct and was just uploaded on Nintendo's E3 site. Alternatively he could also get a Treehouse segment like other developers have had for their games before, with Bill translating for him.
Nintendo received some criticism about how they expand presentation time with devs talking. If they want to make it hype I think that trailers with a Treehouse after is really the perfect approach, and it's how they're trying to do now.No more Yoshi devs talking about how sewing thread inspired them.
While Smash is quite popular, I don't think people in general wanna know why and how Sakurai decided to implement some moves and gameplay differeces from the last game.
Also, they can use Smash related Nintendo ambassadors to explain this technical aspects of the game with a language that competitive community would understand. Please Nintendo, let M2K dissect the game.

Five of them. Shantae, Rayman, Sora, Joker, and Amaterasu. I know its a lot but these characters have a good chance.
I know Final Fantasy VII never debuted into a Nintendo system but it doesn't mean that a MUCH less popular character like Joker would make the same.
Joker is very close to have no chance at all. I really think his chances are lower than some memes like Goku, because Goku is at least very demanded.
(Rayman, Shantae and Sora can really happen. I hope that not all of them from once. )

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The vergeben leak said the character reveal is Ridley
Even if it's true we're certainly getting more than a single newcomer reveal.

If the rumors of Microsoft cooperating with Nintendo are true I think their rep, whoever it may be, will get revealed at E3. Whether it's Banjo, Steve or Master Chief it'd be a huge deal.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

If the rumors of Microsoft cooperating with Nintendo are true I think their rep, whoever it may be, will get revealed at E3. Whether it's Banjo, Steve or Master Chief it'd be a huge deal.
I'm on the team of Microsoft working with Nintendo is Bull**** for the simple reason that it wouldn't make sense for them when they already struggle to have exclusive by themselves to throw them away to Nintendo.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace

VA stuff is like the last thing a game has to do so maybe they just haven't called her yet, if Pyra is indeed in. Maybe Rex's reveal isn't slated for now (again, if he's in)

Or they could pull a Palutena and call a different VA

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Isn't Mew2King an ambassador too?

Shouldn't he get an invite as well?
He is, but as far as I'm aware, he hasn't confirmed on his twitter (last I checked).
Actually makes sense turns out Rex and pyra were not till 2016 their development begin that's year the roster was finalized

Safe to say the marth and Roy scenario won't happen for them

That's good news for Elma and mythra chances
More so Elma tbh. If Pyra isn't getting in, I doubt Mythra will.

Let's play a game!
And Who?

One, Bomberman.

I'm on the team of Microsoft working with Nintendo is Bull**** for the simple reason that it wouldn't make sense for them when they already struggle to have exclusive by themselves to throw them away to Nintendo.
Nah, Nintendo has teamed up with Microsoft, simply by the fact you can earn Xbox Live achievements while playing the Switch version of Minecraft (or another version of it? I'm not too privy on that front tbh).

There's precedent there that Nintendo and Microsoft have done stuff together to some extent. The ground work for a Microsoft character being in Smash, although a stretch, is there.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Oh yeah, it's very likely a load of nonsense, just wanted to throw it out there. I can't see the rumors being true if something Microsoft related isn't announced at E3.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Let's play a game!
And Who?

Newcomer, one. maybe there could be more but like I don't think they'd announce two at the same time.
I bet on Rayman

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think their best move is to reveal a third-party newcomer to close the presentation (like they did with Megaman) and at the end of the Invitational tournament show a veteran returning (Snake would be the best in this scenario, but Wolf/Climbers would help too).
At the tourney less people are watching, but it's Smash people. Perfect time to bring back someone missed.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
How many 3rd parties?

I believe Simon Belmont too, and Rayman/Rabbids (they may not be as unpopular in Japan, or as unpopular as people here think since we're not really their demographic). After that I think there's a medium chance for Geno (kinda 3rd party), Crash and Bomberman (I'd switch Bomberman and Simon but Simon's been so prominent in leaks and speculation). Also the slightly less than medium chance of Steve. Maybe one more from Sega, Capcom and Namco Bandai, not sure who though.

I'd give my everything for Master Chief. God the original Halo was so much a part of my school and teenage years. The lans we set up on the school computers without the teachers knowing...it brings back memories.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Actually that's unreliable source

Better speculation is bomberman with that tweet. (Only tease level and no proof smash related)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Konami/status/1003680405222879232?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

"as always, prepare for more explosive surprises"

What do they mean more surprises?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I will accept anything Smash Switch gives me...except for a lack of :4pit::4duckhunt:love

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Actually that's unreliable source

Better speculation is bomberman with that tweet. (Only tease level and no proof smash related)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Konami/status/1003680405222879232?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Reading further into the comments it seems they are reffering to extras and secrets that will be in the ports. That's what ruined it for me, the E3 release isn't for Nintendo consoles. Seems weird to me to tie the two together

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
VA stuff is like the last thing a game has to do so maybe they just haven't called her yet, if Pyra is indeed in. Maybe Rex's reveal isn't slated for now (again, if he's in)

Or they could pull a Palutena and call a different VA
Actually.
It depends of the game, sometimes the voice recording is the first thing they do, sometimes cutscenes's voice are made very early.

To give you a personal Exemple, For assassin's creed Origin, we recorded the voice miscs when most of the cinematic where either early version with T-position Characters with camera movement, or close to finish.

And beside, if they did choose to make her record later, she would be already "cast", and under NDA. As for the VA change there probably no reason for that since there no Union Problem (Cloud and probably what will Happens- to Lucina in this game) or VA not available for schedule (I think this was the case for F!Robin)

No idea how smash work for the line recording though- so I can't really say

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

You know which other character is in that game and can put bomb and hit the competition with their weapons, a character that have been speculated and to some eyes, even leaked???

Thats right, this guy!
://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/bomberman/images/f/f5/Pyramid-0.png/revision/latest?cb=20171230120641
This post clearly show that pyramid head will be in smash, and that Kingdom Hearts 3 will have a silent hill level!

Oh, and BTW i dont know how to post pics from the internet anymore.... the impact of the joke have been ruined by the new forums.... Woe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom