• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
On that note, I’m not even convinced Jigglypuff was an all-star compared to many of the Pokémon that could’ve been there instead.
Back then she definitely was, only Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard could confidently claim to be more popular than her, she was very prominent as she was marketed as the girls' equivalent of Pikachu. They eventually dropped that as I guess they found out that Pikachu also appealed to girls, but I do remember that it wasn't a huge surprise when I unlocked her in Melee.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Sooooo, can we finally stop pretending pyra/rex are more likely than elma at this point?

D

Deleted member

I would rather get "diversity" for Third party than a full Konami Newcomers trailer imo
Speak for yourself mate.

Those 3 third parties sound better to me than almost every other outcome and people seem clamoring for these 3 more so than almost every other third party that i have seen nowadays.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
On that note, I’m not even convinced Jigglypuff was an all-star compared to many of the Pokémon that could’ve been there instead.
Eh, back then Puff was in the anime a lot so she may have counted. Meowth, the Kanto starters and Psyduck(at the time) were the only other 'big' Pokémon. I think Smash 64 may have come out before Mewtwo's film but if not add Mewtwo and Mew to that list too.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, back then Puff was in the anime a lot so she may have counted. Meowth, the Kanto starters and Psyduck(at the time) were the only other 'big' Pokémon. I think Smash 64 may have come out before Mewtwo's film but if not add Mewtwo and Mew to that list too.
I grew up with Pokémon anime and Jigglypuff's inclusion was never more questionable than Lucario's or Charizard's for me.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At the risk of sounding extremely negative, if Rex and Pyra get deconfirmed at E3, I think we should start preparing ourselves for a scenario where Xenoblade doesn't get any newcomers. Truth be told, XC2 is the main reason why a lot of us thought Xenoblade would be getting a newcomer in the first place. If that game didn't factor into the roster, then it's entirely possible Sakurai didn't feel like there were any Xenoblade characters worth adding at the time.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
At the risk of sounding extremely negative, if Rex and Pyra get deconfirmed at E3, I think we should start preparing ourselves for a scenario where Xenoblade doesn't get any newcomers. Truth be told, XC2 is the main reason why a lot of us thought Xenoblade would be getting a newcomer in the first place. If that game didn't factor into the roster, then it's entirely possible Sakurai didn't feel like there were any Xenoblade characters worth adding at the time.
That's definitely possible but since X was one of the few major wii u games and it was both critically successful, and commercially successful for being a niche game on a dead console I could definitely see it getting repped. Monolith have also expressed an interest in having a character in, specifically pointing out Elma. There's also the fact that she'd generally be a very unique character and she's recent so it's easy to see why sakurai would want her in.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
You're contradicting yourself when you say that the rest are one-offs when Mipha herself is a one-off character. A mainstay "species" doesn't mean much when every other one-off character is also a mainstay species as well.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

I’m gonna be ballsy and claim to be one of the biggest Zelda fans here, and as “cool” it would be have a Champion, I just don’t think it’s fair to the series.

It’s the same thing with people saying “skull kid! midna! Etc.” In a series as large as Zelda, we shouldn’t put in a rep from a single game because they’re cool or whatever. If midna was to get in, people would get mad and ask why other one timers don’t get in. Between all the one timers, the only thing the champions have is that they’re relevant (and even then, there’s 4 of them).

I would honestly rather Tingle, or if the lord hears my plea, Ganon be his own character. I’d even be fine with Vaati to an extent. But one timers in a series that long with that much lore? I’m completely against it, I’m afraid.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

I’m gonna be ballsy and claim to be one of the biggest Zelda fans here, and as “cool” it would be have a Champion, I just don’t think it’s fair to the series.

It’s the same thing with people saying “skull kid! midna! Etc.” In a series as large as Zelda, we shouldn’t put in a rep from a single game because they’re cool or whatever. If midna was to get in, people would get mad and ask why other one timers don’t get in. Between all the one timers, the only thing the champions have is that they’re relevant (and even then, there’s 4 of them).

I would honestly rather Tingle, or if the lord hears my plea, Ganon be his own character. I’d even be fine with Vaati to an extent. But one timers in a series that long with that much lore? I’m completely against it, I’m afraid.
I mean, they added Sheik. Of course she was originally apart of Zelda's moveset, but she's still an Ocarina of Time exclusive. One would argue that it's fine that she's remained because of how revolutionary Ocarina of Time was. Breath of the Wild is in a similar position. Adding a character that is exclusive to that game would be fine due to the games overall importance. To be honest, it deserves more than just an updated Link and Zelda. Despite that however, I too am not confidant we'll get a newcomer from Breath of the Wild. But if we do, I think the most likely choice is Mipha. Though Daruk and Urbosa have a solid shot as the games rep as well.

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Sakurai consider X a non relevant game to add its main character. X is one of the most important games in Wii U, it received good reviews, is very different from the main Xenoblades to represent something new, is recent, Elma's skills are unique and has moveset potencial, she has a cool design and is charismatic, and the game ended in cliff hanger with a possible sequel in the future so X would stay relevant

I know I'm biased because she's my most wanted character but I truly think there's a lot of good reasons for Elma's inclusion

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I mean, they added Sheik. Of course she was originally apart of Zelda's moveset, but she's still an Ocarina of Time exclusive. One would argue that it's fine that she's remained because of how revolutionary Ocarina of Time was. Breath of the Wild is in a similar position. Adding a character that is exclusive to that game would be fine due to the games overall importance. To be honest, it deserves more than just an updated Link and Zelda. Despite that however, I too am not confidant we'll get a newcomer from Breath of the Wild. But if we do, I think the most likely choice is Mipha. Though Daruk and Urbosa have a solid shot as the games rep as well.
I’m all for giving Sheiks moveset to Impa simply because she’s much more important to the series, and would essentially have the same moveset.

If we think about Sakurai logic to adding new and interesting characters, I’d assume champion abilities would play a huge role in determination as well as weapons. Therefore, I’d argue that Michael or Revali would be the most unique in terms of mechanics/weapons.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Imo if Tingle isn't big enough to make it on the base roster of the ZELDA crossover game then how is he big enough to make the base roster of the NINTENDO crossover game?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I would rather get "diversity" for Third party than a full Konami Newcomers trailer imo
Better idea...add the entire Sonic cast before a full Konami trailer for newcomers

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Man, I'm really hoping the Mario RPG's get a character this time around. Whether it's Paper Mario, Geno, or Fawful.

Personally, I'm thinking Captain Toad and Paper Mario are likely Mario newcomers, but Sakurai seems to be interested in Geno so who knows.

Last edited:

Abade

Smash Apprentice
smash is non-union which would explain why steve burton wasn't called in and why all the unionized va's are uncredited or replaced. it could also be NOA being cheap ****s but i'm pretty confident its union stuff.
That really doesn't fit since David Hayter voiced Solid Snake in Super Smash Bros and he's part of the Union. Here is an interview of him where he mentions things such beating up a unrevealed character for Smash at the 2:52 mark, Jigglypuff

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah, no luck.

Got in a phone call with E3's support this time after Nintendo transfered me to one of their supervisors and E3 insisted that Nintendo was the one handling the tickets... Even though the guy I talked to at Nintendo said it was E3 handling the tickets lol. Called Nintendo one more time, they went a BIT higher up to ask, and no luck. Nothing they can do, understandable. Oh well. Maybe I can get into someone who misses their time at the event, maybe one of em will pop up on eBay, we'll see. So insanely excited no matter what!

Shoutouts to Nintendo's customer support though, those guys stuck their necks out for me.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I’m all for giving Sheiks moveset to Impa simply because she’s much more important to the series, and would essentially have the same moveset.
After having Sheik since Melee, I'd rather just keep her in Smash instead of replacing her. Regardless of how she stacks up against Impa, she's sort of an icon for Smash now, and I hate to see her replaced with an identical character just for the sake of getting someone who's "more important".

Honestly, if that's the route Sakurai wants to take, Impa would probably be better as an alt or a clone of Sheik as opposed to replacing her entirely.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Elma, along with Dixie Kong are the characters that have timing on their side above all else.

Well, Dixie may have the ballot but you get where I'm going.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Man, I'm really hoping the Mario RPG's get a character this time around. Whether it's Paper Mario, Geno, or Fawful.

Personally, I'm thinking Captain Toad and Paper Mario are likely Mario newcomers, but Sakurai seems to be interested in Geno so who knows.
Inb4 Captain Toad, Paper Mario, and Geno all get in

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though I will say Rex and Pyra may have good chances for DLC, especially if there is no cuts like the rumors go.

Unless the Nintendo DLCS are nothing but the missing ones from Smash 4.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Why wouldn't it be fair? Even if Mipha is a one-shot character, the Zora have made appearances in dozens of Zelda games. Same goes with the other three Champion races.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but you kind of contradicted yourself here. People might get mad that a one-shot like Daruk or Revali got in over Skull Kid and Midna, but people could also get upset if recurring characters like Tetra, Tingle, or Pig Ganon get passed over for someone like Impa. No addition is every going to be considered "fair" by all fans. The only thing we can do is guess who Sakurai would want to add on the roster. Whoever he chooses is something we'll all have to live with, regardless of whether or not it's someone we wanted.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Is that "E3 schedule" confirmed as real? I wish we had some way to pin "Current leak/conversation" stuff somewhere. I've been gone since last Thursday and can't read every page to see what's being discussed.

So I've seen:
- Voice Actor confirms she doesn't know anything about Smash, making her character inclusion unlikely.
- Nintendo E3 schedule which indicates Smash might not be such a focus after all.
- Konami tweeted about "Explosive Surprises" so everybody assumes it means Smash.

Am I missing anything?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
- Konami tweeted about "Explosive Surprises" so everybody assumes it means Smash.

Am I missing anything?
I think people are a little too desesperate to link a vague tweet that probably wont have to do anything with nintendo as guarantee hint at anything regarding smash. if anything probably would be kratos bomber, fulgore bomber and if the thing is on pc, TF2 demoman bomber (one can dream). and if we are like, suuuuuper lucky, we may get a samus bomber or something...

though who knows, maybe Bomberman gets added to a certain popular fighting game ... but really, how would bomberman moveset work on Soulc Calibur 6? :V

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Snake was cut from Sm4sh, just so the cardboard box gag, where he emerges from hiding, can be used again at E3 and still seem fresh.

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
Actually.
It depends of the game, sometimes the voice recording is the first thing they do, sometimes cutscenes's voice are made very early.

To give you a personal Exemple, For assassin's creed Origin, we recorded the voice miscs when most of the cinematic where either early version with T-position Characters with camera movement, or close to finish.

And beside, if they did choose to make her record later, she would be already "cast", and under NDA. As for the VA change there probably no reason for that since there no Union Problem (Cloud and probably what will Happens- to Lucina in this game) or VA not available for schedule (I think this was the case for F!Robin)

No idea how smash work for the line recording though- so I can't really say
Not to bring up an old conversation, but I also see evidence that supports that voice acting is often done very early. I attended the PAX East panel on Final Fantasy 14 earlier this year where they discussed the writing process for new expansions. It was very interesting, and was lead by one of the main writers for the Japanese team, and the head of the localization team. While the writing and initial story development is often the place it starts (effectively the planning stages,) he detailed how voice acting has to be created to fit specific cutscenes in multiple languages, and as a result the voice recordings typically happen very early in the planning stages.

For reference, this is the panel I'm talking about: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/247743226

Now they are very different genres of games, and Smash's overall lack of voice-acting compared to a Final Fantasy game does seem like it could be very easily tacked on at the end. I still think it's often dealt with early so there are no surprises, a lot of reasons why they do it early are detailed in the video above.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It is one week away until Smash Bros Switch gets revealed with some brand newcomers. I am incredibly eager to know if some of my newcomer predictions end up being right. Good luck to every Smash speculator out there! :)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t want Paper Mario in unless he goes back to his roots. Anything else is garbage in garbage in my eyes.
The last two Paper Mario games must’ve been really traumatizing for some people
It is one week away until Smash Bros Switch gets revealed with some brand newcomers. I am incredibly eager to know if some of my newcomer predictions end up being right. Good luck to every Smash speculator out there! :)
the pain of waiting

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I think something people have been missing is that Elma plays a lot like Saki from Sin and Punishment and as we’ve seen from his Trophy Sakurai has put a lot of thought of how he would work as a character. I think those concepts are going to draw him to her. Sakurai really likes his “fast assault” characters but not a lot of Nintendo franchises give him the characters to make them. Which is why I think we see some far reaching characters like sheik, zero suit, and greninja that he’s used to fill the void. I think she is more likely than people give her credit for.

SuperPhil64

Smash Rookie
I wonder if they will keep the full Smash reveal for the end or the start of the Direct. It be kinda cool if they sprinkled a few reveals throughout the direct.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
After the Inklings' reveal and while also ignoring rumors, Elma is starting to standout to me as one of the more likely characters.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
What are the odds that the Smash focus in the E3 is extremely underwhelming? I don't think so but you never know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom