• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think I heard of SMT before Persona. I never played any of the games, though. That said, I do overall like what the series generally is from my research. It'd be very neat if we got SMT/Persona content in overall~
If you have a PS3/PS4, you should give Persona 5 a try. No pun intended, the game stole my heart and easily became my favorite game of all time. The only time I have ever been so captured by a game was when I was heavily pursuing competitive Smash 4, and I took that very seriously for a long time.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Okay- true Question since IT IS in the subject of Persona/SMT.
Do you guys believe in #FE representation, whenever it's trophy, AT or even a stage?
If so, do you think this Stage would be the perfect way to get SMT/Persona music?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Do you guys believe in #FE representation, whenever it's trophy, AT or even a stage?
If so, do you think this Stage would be the perfect way to get SMT/Persona music?
I wouldn't be shocked if we got music and trophies, maybe an AT if they're feeling crazy.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Arena Ferox comes to mind.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Atlus holds some of the rights to Tokyo Mirage Sessions, if not basically all.

Though I could check on that. I know the protagonists got cards in Fire Emblem Cipher. I'll see if they have added copyright information.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You're this close to gettin' a whoopin', boy.

Name a single more stylish way to finish off a game. I'll wait.
Glad to get a whooping' soon. I'd be even more glad to get a Final Smash just for taking your heart

More stylish way? Bruh, go against 7 evil characters. All down to their last stock. Final Smash activated and all enemies in the same spot at the same time

BOOM

Don't diss my boi Knuckles' chances like that.
But do you know da wae?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I should add to the #FE representation, I don't think a stage will happen. I think if we DO happen to get a Megami Tensei character, the stage will be based around whichever character it is, and then they'll shove some #FE music on that stage.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No, I highly doubt it. #FE has far too many hurdles being a crossover of SMTxFE meaning it's technically third party, came from the fusion of TWO niche franchises combined with the niche fandom of the idol industry which is pretty much exlusive to japan's tastes on top of the fact that it sold extremely poorly on a console itself that had underwhelming sales.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, more or less, we get the music because it's on a stage than anything else, so...

Yeah, pretty much.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
As a longtime SMT fan, a Persona character riding SMT's longetivity into Smash would kill me. It'd be one of the worst ways of recognising Atlus's long running series. No, Megami Tensei on the NES nor numerous Devil Survivor/Devil Summoner/mainline (IV, IV:alA, Strange Journey) on the DS do not count towards Persona's representation on Nintendo.

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
*realizes should explain*
I personally believe getting a mii costume drastically hurts chances, as the mii's are supposed to allow for characters that never would be in any way. that rules out knuckles and sadly sonic. also, viewing the most recent sonic team racing trailer, Shadow will have some prevalence in a game that probably shared it's at least concept phase with smash. btw this is coming from someone who really wants tails or Eggman in

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Welp. Thanks guys. Now I'm going to support Sora, Joker, Geno, Chrom, Ray...

Look at how much of a NEVER EVER my wishlist is. I want to cry.
This was the price I had to pay by voting Cloud in the Ballot and get him
May as well add Ridley to your list ;)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I had an idea about this the other day; he should bleed green blood as a reference to the old SNES Mortal Kombat ports.
I like that idea!

If Mortal Kombat ever gets a character in Smash, it should be the PG-13 version of Scorpion from the original SNES port. This way, his brand of violence doesn't cross the line in Smash and the rating in Smash doesn't go up to M (maybe up to T).

I always wanted to see Ryu vs. Scorpion since I was 10.

B - Spear
Side+B - Leg Takedown
Up+B - Air Throw
Down+B - Teleport Punch
Final Smash - Toasty!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Aw, don't give up! It's just that...everyone's going to have varying opinions, and you'll find times where it seems like no one agrees with you.

I want Dragon Warrior in Smash, but I have found very few people that agree with me. Everyone says "no," or "Slime is better."

If you stick around, I'm sure you'll find people and posts you like, and you'll probably present some idea or opinion that a lot of people like! I'm sorry if it seemed like anyone was mean to you...your opinion is completely valid.
RileyXY1 RileyXY1 Listen to this guy, he can actually articulate words of encouragement properly :teeth:

I personally believe getting a mii costume drastically hurts chances, as the mii's are supposed to allow for characters that never would be in any way. that rules out knuckles and sadly sonic. also, viewing the most recent sonic team racing trailer, Shadow will have some prevalence in a game that probably shared it's at least concept phase with smash. btw this is coming from someone who really wants tails or Eggman in
Bait? There's no way Sonic having a Mii costume decreases his chances of being in Smash Switch.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As a longtime SMT fan, a Persona character riding SMT's longetivity into Smash would kill me. It'd be one of the worst ways of recognising Atlus's long running series. No, Megami Tensei on the NES nor numerous Devil Survivor/Devil Summoner/mainline (IV, IV:alA, Strange Journey) on the DS do not count towards Persona's representation on Nintendo.
Well you are welcome to your opinion, but Persona has been decently more popular than SMT and they do both get classified as the same Megami Tensei franchise, so I think they do count for one another whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
My issue with this whole discussion is that while Persona is popular, I can think of a bunch of franchises that are more significant to Nintendo and gaming history as a whole. Heck, I don't much like the idea of Sora and I still think he'd be a more justified and suitable fit than someone from Persona. I won't say it's impossible, but in my opinion it would feel weird to have that series represented while others aren't.

I'm also biased because I simply can't finish JRPGs and haven't thought about Persona since last October.

SonicMario

Smash Master
You DO know there are mii costumes of currently playable Smash characters right?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
My issue with this whole discussion is that while Persona is popular, I can think of a bunch of franchises that are more significant to Nintendo and gaming history as a whole. Heck, I don't much like the idea of Sora and I still think he'd be a more justified and suitable fit than someone from Persona. I won't say it's impossible, but in my opinion it would feel weird to have that series represented while others aren't.

I'm also biased because I simply can't finish JRPGs and haven't thought about Persona since last October.
Bayonetta got in the game when she only had one game on a Nintendo console, and Cloud is in too. An individual character's significance to Nintendo isn't always the deciding factor.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Glad to get a whooping' soon. I'd be even more glad to get a Final Smash just for taking your heart

More stylish way? Bruh, go against 7 evil characters. All down to their last stock. Final Smash activated and all enemies in the same spot at the same time

BOOM

But do you know da wae?
Unfunny Meme's, just another day on Smashboards.

Well shoot I guess I should stop supporting Krool and Takamaru then.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, as someone who is a HUGE fan of SMT (look at my damn profile picture), I just can't see any SMT representation happening outside of maybe a mii costume.

Even though it's tied with Nintendo history, the franchise is honestly far more niche than one would expect outside of Japan and it's really dark, far darker than anything currently in Smash (one coooooould make an argument for Xenoblade being close to it though).

Hopefully the crossover between Atlus and Intelligent System suggests a working relationship that could eventually link together, but right now, I'm hopeful, but not expectant.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To note, the only actual Mii Costume to become a playable Smash character is Inkling(and only in a later game).

The rest either did not become playable, or were a costume of an already playable character.

Inkling is the only case that shows a Mii costume isn't all that damning to a character's chances, though it may be for the current game.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
InklingOutfit.jpg

Damn, I'll miss Inklings then. Confirmed and deconfirmed in one fell swoop.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
New FE stuff only...no SMT needed for me
I like that idea!

If Mortal Kombat ever gets a character in Smash, it should be the PG-13 version of Scorpion from the original SNES port. This way, his brand of violence doesn't cross the line in Smash and the rating in Smash doesn't go up to M (maybe up to T).

I always wanted to see Ryu vs. Scorpion since I was 10.

B - Spear
Side+B - Leg Takedown
Up+B - Air Throw
Down+B - Teleport Punch
Final Smash - Toasty!

Imagine if his victory poses were fatalities...omg that sounds...toasty
Bayonetta got in the game when she only had one game on a Nintendo console, and Cloud is in too. An individual character's significance to Nintendo isn't always the deciding factor.
Technically two (soon 3) games and got in due to the ballot...and will stay cause she won’t allow anyone to banish her

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
Well shoot I guess I should stop supporting Krool and Takamaru then.
sure, but for nonplayable fighters, Sakurai specifically said the mii's are for Goku, a character that's not getting in but feel free to pretend he's in anyway. my opinion, sure, and an unpopular one, but one I fell none the less
also, I said it hurts, not eliminates.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah I didn't believe it seeing how it is to edit in hindsight I shouldn't of point this rumor out in the first place :)
To be fair, if I didn't know it was that easy to edit it it really would be believable, you'd think Imdb would only accept stuff from people in the industry and because of that it looks credible at first glance lol. Also, I won't lie.
Screenshot_36.png
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5370130/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
That leak you posted may or may not have inspired me to have a little fun with this. :p

Look, there was a day that I'd consistently **** on an obnoxious Bayonetta supporter saying she'd never in a million years be in the game, yet here we are. If that guy could get Bayo, I can get Joker, who also seems much more positively received than the witch.
I still remember thinking Bayonetta was literally impossible and that Nintendo would never ever let her in their game, how wrong we all were.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Mii costumes in Smash 4 surely won’t hurt characters getting into Smash 5... after all, Inklings were costumes first but will be in Smash 5. Mii costumes in Smash 5 might hurt characters getting into Smash 5’s DLC phase, but Smash 4’s costumes won’t make a difference.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It isn't, but it does massively help.
While Bayonetta did not originate from a Nintendo console, its sequel and survival as a series can be owed to Nintendo paying for its production in exchange for exclusive rights to publish the game on its console. This can be seen in how Bayonetta 3 is going to be a Switch exclusive as well. So while initially, Bayonetta's multiplatform, the series is now inextricably tied to Nintendo.

Cloud, while he himself has never appeared in a main game on a Nintendo console represents Final Fantasy as whole which has had six hugely popular games tied to a Nintendo console. Not as popular as FF7 granted, but honestly, what is?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Eh... in my personal opinion if Sakurai should use a Shin Megami Tensei character should be Jack Frost, find it more interesting and represents the series as whole.

.n_n.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
To note, the only actual Mii Costume to become a playable Smash character is Inkling(and only in a later game).

The rest either did not become playable, or were a costume of an already playable character.

Inkling is the only case that shows a Mii costume isn't all that damning to a character's chances, though it may be for the current game.
I actually made a post about this a few weeks back, theorizing how the Smash team could tweak the Mii costumes in Wii U a little to make full-fledged character models for fighters in the future. It may be a load of hooey, sure, but at the very least it's wishful thinking.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I still remember thinking Bayonetta was literally impossible and that Nintendo would never ever let her in their game, how wrong we all were.
I think the only rule we should still take at face value with Sakurai's criteria is that the character has to originate in a video game, so no Goku or anything. Outside of that, pretty much anything is fair game.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
While Bayonetta did not originate from a Nintendo console, its sequel and survival as a series can be owed to Nintendo paying for its production in exchange for exclusive rights to publish the game on its console. This can be seen in how Bayonetta 3 is going to be a Switch exclusive as well. So while initially, Bayonetta's multiplatform, the series is now inextricably tied to Nintendo.

Cloud, while he himself has never appeared in a main game on a Nintendo console represents Final Fantasy as whole which has had six hugely popular games tied to a Nintendo console. Not as popular as FF7 granted, but honestly, what is?
But that point doesn't really lend itself to saying Joker won't get in. Joker is a Megami Tensei character, which has been on Nintendo consoles for 20 years. And he will be the main character in the upcoming spinoff title for the 3DS.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Basically, what we're all saying is Smash Ballot v 2.0 when?

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I hope we don't get any more FE characters. The series already has 6
FE has the same reps as Pokemon
FE has 1 more than Zelda
FE has 4 more than Metroid
FE has 4 more than DK
FE has 3 more than Kirby

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Final Fantasy Waifu Warriors Edition
It'll be quite a view though...almost like looking at Walking Dead
Walking Dead...Clementine for Smash
View attachment 146930
Damn, I'll miss Inklings then. Confirmed and deconfirmed in one fell swoop.
WOOMY

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Basically, what we're all saying is Smash Ballot v 2.0 when?
Never.
I don't want to face K.Rool fan, Shantae fan and Daisy fans fighting each other's as if we were voting for the president of the human species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom