• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That is very true. I can make sense of Dunban, but I can't make too much sense of Riki. Great point. Also if they stick to Japanese VAs for the NA release as well, they have to hire less VAs because Yusuke and Morgana share VAs with characters who are already in the game. The leak is well researched, as many have said.
Honestly, I don't think money is an issue when it comes to VAs. It's not like Nintendo's strapped for cash or anything.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He said that Ridley will have to be stripped down, wings reduced in size, and unable to fly around freely. Sakurai thinks that this will be a disservice to the iconic character, so he decides to instead put him in roles that are far more suited to him.
I'm literally not even saying anything about Ridley's odds.

I'm just using him as one of several examples of characters people point to as having merits for consideration despite being previously dismissed by Sakurai. My question was related to when a character deserves to be looked at again like Villager and Pac-Man.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This leak is absolutely fake. I don't think that there will be any Persona content in Smash. That franchise has not even touched Nintendo consoles outside of spinoffs.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Honestly, I don't think money is an issue when it comes to VAs. It's not like Nintendo's strapped for cash or anything.
Less about money, more about working with more schedules, making new contracts, etc. Clearly Smash doesn't have too much as far as a budget limit goes.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Or that Joker's dub VA is literally Smash 4's Announcer.

Wait so now there is a leak that says Joker from persona is gonna be in smash or something? is from 4chan or from where?
Two page behind, the classic fake 4chan rumor, but damn, if that man didn't did his homework, it's surprising.

D

Deleted member

Just saying, it's not too weird. Shulk's Final Smash has Dunban and Riki of all party members rather than Reyn and Fiora.
That's because having Shulk's final smash activate Reyn time would be too overpowered. But seriously Dunban, Riki, and Shulk constitute my 3 favorite party members so I'm not complaining, even if it would make sense to have Reyn > Riki especially since Riki is also an Assist Trophy. If I had to make a serious guess I think Sakurai just likes Riki and Dunban the most so he chose them, nothing more to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
True, but if they can avoid spending unnecessary funds by sharing VAs, I could see 'em goin' for it.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
That is very true. I can make sense of Dunban, but I can't make too much sense of Riki. Great point. Also if they stick to Japanese VAs for the NA release as well, they have to hire less VAs because Yusuke and Morgana share VAs with characters who are already in the game. The rumor is well researched, as many have said.
Plus if they do English VAs Xander Mobus would potentially be the announcer again.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I would think so due to his tail and his size. Ridley's tail is such a unique dynamic of his character that no other smash character can really compare to.
You can't say the fact that he wouldn't be an interesting a giant juggernaut-type character.

Although there's rumors on gamefaqs, ResetEra, reddit, and 4chan about this character, I wouldn't expect him after what sakurai said. It would be more of a pleasant surprise type of thing. He has however been the single most common characters in leaks, and after the resetera/vergeben stuff I do think if a single leaked (as of right now) character was in the game, it would be him in my opinion.
True, but from what I've heard about Pac-man and Villager, I hope this is another situation where Sakurai changes his mind. At the least, he's probably given it thought for what is arguably the most requested character in Smash.
And yeah, I also hope these supposed leaks and rumors pay off. I believe I've said it before, but I've never experienced past "Ridley might be in the game" speculations before Smash 4. All I know is that the Ridley fanbase were driven based solely on hope and sadly, over-analyzation of things that should've been taken at face value(Pyrosphere debacle as I was there, and according to recounts of Brawl: "Ridley's in the clouds!").
If I may ask, because of the circumstances of these leaks and rumors, is this the first ever time where it looks like he might actually have a shot?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Alright read it, is interesting but is it credible and possible?
"Possible" in a sense that they did a ton of homework and pointed out several convenient details that your average rumor writer would've easily overlooked, such as not including a Pikachu costume for a Nintendo Persona costume set since Pikachu isn't owned by Nintendo, and pointing out voice actors that cross over. But there's no developed credibility for the poster.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Alright read it, is interesting but is it credible and possible?
Nope, it's your Daily 4chan leaks.With someone having a tripcode HOWEVER.
I decided to share it, because the amount of research to make it believable is massive, crossing Japanese VA, with ENG VA, Logical costume choice, and Pokemon's right trap.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This came out earlier today. I was thinking about Isabelle as a fighter yesterday and thought of an aspect that they could use for her: changing outfits. It's such an integral part of the series that I can't believe it slipped my mind. It could be her standard special move where if you hold the B button long enough, she changes outfits, giving her a different standard special. For example, she could have a raincoat that lets her spin a rain soaked umbrella or a parka that lets her throw snowballs or a bee keeper outfit that surrounds her with a shield of bees or a kimono that lets her launch mini fireworks. There's a lot of creative things they could do with this concept.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Nope, it's your Daily 4chan leaks.With someone having a tripcode HOWEVER.
I decided to share it, because the amount of research to make it believable is massive, crossing Japanese VA, with ENG VA, Logical costume choice, and Pokemon's right trap.
Pardon me for asking, but what's a tripcode? Why is that worth mentioning?

?????????????

Smash Master
This came out earlier today. I was thinking about Isabelle as a fighter yesterday and thought of an aspect that they could use for her: changing outfits. It's such an integral part of the series that I can't believe it slipped my mind. It could be her standard special move where if you hold the B button long enough, she changes outfits, giving her a different standard special. For example, she could have a raincoat that lets her spin a rain soaked umbrella or a parka that lets her throw snowballs or a bee keeper outfit that surrounds her with a shield of bees or a kimono that lets her launch mini fireworks. There's a lot of creative things they could do with this concept.
Sorry to go off-topic, but...

I have ALWAYS read your posts in Popeye's voice. And it's just so wonderful.

D

Deleted member

Does Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE count as enough of a Nintendo connection for Joker to make it in? Kind of like how Cloud represented Final Fantasy as a whole even if he himself was never that close to Nintendo. Genuine question because I don't know jack about Persona.

Last edited by a moderator:

?????????????

Smash Master
Does Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE count as enough of a Nintendo connection for Joker to make it in? Genuine question because I don't know jack about Persona.
I would say yes, but...I'm not very strict.

I mean...we got Cloud, despite the fact Final Fantasy 7 was never on Nintendo, just because of Final Fantasy.

But to be honest, I'm not savvy enough about Persona to know if Joker is something equivalent, like a big mascot of the series.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Does Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE count as enough of a Nintendo connection for Joker to make it in? Genuine question because I don't know jack about Persona.
I wouldn't say so. Tokyo Mirage Sessions isn't licensed under the Persona name, and even though it shares similar gameplay aspects, nothing else is really the same. The abilities the characters have in that game aren't even called Personas.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Part 3 electric boogaloo

Warchamp please infract Warchamp for off topic and spamming

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Pardon me for asking, but what's a tripcode? Why is that worth mentioning?
TL;DR, it's a "randomised" password to have an recognizable identity for 4Chan
Most of the recent leaks on 4chan are made with people using Tripcode so no one steal their identity to answers question.
The ERSB leak had one.
The Let's Go Pikachu first of April had one
Fallout 76 had one.
However, since a tripcode can be used by everyone, it's not really worth mentioning, just that it's a little plus that CAN give credibility-

Does Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE count as enough of a Nintendo connection for Joker to make it in? Kind of like how Cloud represented Final Fantasy as a whole even if he himself was never that close to Nintendo. Genuine question because I don't know jack about Persona.
Yes and No.
Mirage in #FE are basically Persona, and the Battle System is Basically Persona. Even with the more modern/High school setting.
#FE would be a Persona X FE instead of SMT x FE. It all depends...

P.Kat

Smash Champion
What am I even doing... I KNOW Sora won't be in. Yet I decided to change my avatar to him to show my support for a character I initially and actually doesn't care about.
Yet I have this weird feeling, this weird faith thinking that he actually have a chance even after the riddler rumor got debunked and Masked Man said he know characters that wont be in smash... God I'm miserable.
You know that's not a bad idea with E3 getting closer, showing support for your favorite character(s) sounds like the best thing to do (though I'd flip my lid if Jubei was coming to Smash).

Too bad the chances of finding a pic of Lyn and Krystal together is unlikely.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Megami Tensei as a franchise (which includes Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions) have been connected to Nintendo since their conception in 1987. While Persona specifically hasn't been on Nintendo consoles beyond Persona Q and the upcoming Q2, the franchise which it belongs to still has.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not even close. If anything it represents Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem (poorly I might add)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Persona is technically a part of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Nintendo has a lot of those games.

Zeox

Smash Champion
You know that's not a bad idea with E3 getting closer, showing support for your favorite character(s) sounds like the best thing to do (though I'd flip my lid if Jubei was coming to Smash).

Too bad the chances of finding a pic of Lyn and Krystal together is unlikely.
I give my support to ridley the best way I can... with a sad ridley face.
because that's probably how he feels after so many rejections.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
TL;DR, it's a "randomised" password to have an recognizable identity for 4Chan
Most of the recent leaks on 4chan are made with people using Tripcode so no one steal their identity to answers question.
The ERSB leak had one.
The Let's Go Pikachu first of April had one
Fallout 76 had one.
However, since a tripcode can be used by everyone, it's not really worth mentioning, just that it's a little plus that CAN give credibility-
So it's a way to identify people? Could companies use it to find out who posted the leak? If so, would that add credibility or take it away? Giving yourself the chance to be identified could mean you know you won't get in trouble for it, but it could also mean that they have legitimate information, and they're willing to risk whatever job they have for it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Since we’re talking about Atlus. If Sakurai did were to add a character from an Atlus series, do you think it’d be a Shin Megami Tensei or Persona character?

I personally see reasons for both.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Is Persona basically the Stardust Crusaders of Shin Megami Tensei?
Do you mean is it the main reason people even know the SMT series exists?

If so... Pretty much, yeah. I'd also go so far as to say Yu Narukami, the protagonist of Persona 4, is the Jotaro of the Persona series.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Imadethistoseealeak said:
Did he have actual issues with Ballot Fighter and Eccitebike? I think with Eccitebike it was the whole constantly riding a bike issue but Bowser Jr. kind of already broke that.
Yeah, he said Balloon Fighter didn't seem like he could do anything after his balloons were popped, and he passed over Excitebiker for reasons he didn't elaborate on. He joked the issue was that he would need ramps to jump, but said that wasn't the actual issue.
In terms of choosing a character design that's most relevant, how likely will Samus look like her design in Samus Returns?
I think it's a given, honestly. It would be strange not to update her appearance from Other M.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So it's a way to identify people? Could companies use it to find out who posted the leak? If so, would that add credibility or take it away? Giving yourself the chance to be identified could mean you know you won't get in trouble for it, but it could also mean that they have legitimate information, and they're willing to risk whatever job they have for it.
Nope, companies couldn't use that.
The WHOLE Nintendo Switch presentation, the one where they announced Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 was leaked on 4chan by a guy with a tripcode too, who was setting up the booth and such and he didn't got caught.
And remember, Emily Roger did call out this guy bull**** saying that there no Mario Odyssey, that it would be a launch title, No Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and No Splatoon 2

I let you guess who was right in the end.

Since we’re talking about Atlus. If Sakurai did add a character from and Atlus series, do you think it’d be a Shin Megami Tensei or Persona character?

If he want to go for the mainstream Audience, he'll go for Persona, Either Yu or Joker.
If not, he'll use their mascott Jack Frost.
I don't see anyone from SMT as a main character beside Demifiend but even so...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
And also, while Persona isn't on Nintendo consoles, Persona 5 has sold a ton more than any other individual game in the franchise. Atlus would definitely suggest Joker to Sakurai if they were approached about this.

EDIT: Reworded, at least until I make sure my previous statement was accurate.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Since we’re talking about Atlus. If Sakurai did were to add a character from an Atlus series, do you think it’d be a Shin Megami Tensei or Persona character?

It would easily be Jack Frost. Being Atlas' mascot, he trumps everyone.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I know Persona 5 is incredibly popular, and I love it myself, but I'd be disappointed if it got into Smash before Shin Megami Tensei proper, especially with how SMT started on Nintendo, and after a brief period, has returned to being Nintendo exclusive. It's also been more successful and widespread than ever with the 3DS entries. I dunno, having Persona completely usurp it's mother franchise has never sit right with me.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It would easily be Jack Frost. Being Atlas' mascot, he trumps everyone.
Yeah, if you ask me, the options are Joker or Jack Frost. I don't think ant SMT character has the popularity those guys have, or even anything remotely close.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Damn, can you imagine what a Persona 5 stage would look like in Smash? The MUSIC we would get?

God, I want Joker so bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom