• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Still doesn't give the rumor credibility. I also predicted that, if Sakurai were in talks with Konami, Snake would be back. It's not hard to make that conclusion.
Yes, that's why no one says it confirm it, like no one says it deconfirm it.

And the harm is evident from posts like YoshiandToad YoshiandToad above, with people losing hope for perfectly plausible characters because we as a community are giving this rumor more attention than necessary.
And I'm the first one to repeat again and again.
Do not believe anything, do not think any characters are a shoe in. Just have fun with the speculation.
This rumor is so odds that the chance it get debunked by a credible E3 booth leak, or at E3 is like 99%
If people give up hope with a very weird Rumor, I fail to see how it is our fault, those rumors are here since Brawl speculation.
I'm still not giving up Hope for Ray or Lana from Hyrule warrior because this rumor says they're not in.

We're talking about a possibility- the moment that thing get unconfirmed, no one will bring it up again, and as we know with the schedule of this game, it will PROBABLY be the only rumor with that much of attention since the release is that close, meaning Nintendo might do rapid-fire marketing on it.

It will get debunked as fast as it got attention-

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It does kind of suck since this is the first time a Smash game has come around that I've actually liked characters that have been relevant in the period between the two games:

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Impa/Tingle/Hyrule Warriors Zelda character of choice
Chibi-Robo
Isabelle
Inklings

To me that's an all star line up.

Whilst I like Goroh(he was my third most wanted at one point), Porky and Medusa they feel like a weird selection of choices at this stage?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So what kind of potential leaks do you guys think we may get tomorrow with that E3 plans/Staples Center thing going on? Character reveals, maybe?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The only reason we are discussing that fake rumour is because there is nothing better to discuss. Well, unless you'd rather we talk some more about Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.
How about a more controversial discussion?

Why aren't we considering Kamek more seriously? He's the main villain of the Yoshi franchise, he's Bowser's personal steward, he has tons of potential with his magic, he is highly recognized, and he has made recent appearances in Yoshi's Wooly World, Yoshi's New Island, and Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World. He's got a lot going for him, especially given the timing of the roster selection. What is it about him that makes him unlikely?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So what kind of potential leaks do you guys think we may get tomorrow with that E3 plans/Staples Center thing going on? Character reveals, maybe?
I doubt they're gonna reveal anything about the game due to the nature of the E3 tournament.

Iirc, it was revealed its players would play it blind, without knowing anything about it.

Giving any of them a chance of knowing anything about the game would potentially break this.

I personally think that, when it comes to Smash, they'll stay quiet until the tournament.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It does kind of suck since this is the first time a Smash game has come around that I've actually liked characters that have been relevant in the period between the two games:

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Chibi-Robo
Isabelle
Inklings

Whilst I like Goroh(he was my third most wanted at one point), Porky and Medusa they feel like a weird selection of choices at this stage?
Replace Toad with Paper Mario and add elma and that's essentially me. While a lot of the smash 4 newcomers were cool and they were fun to play as I wasn't particularly excited for them as someone who's never played fire emblem, kid icarus, animal crossing (at the time), punch out or Xenoblade (at the time). The only newcomers I was mildly excited for were Rosa and Bowser Jr and even then not that much lol.

Having characters I actually like being relevant is fun since I'm pretty confident I'll get at least one.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I doubt they're gonna reveal anything about the game due to the nature of the E3 tournament.

Iirc, it was revealed its players would play it blind, without knowing anything about it.

Giving any of them a chance of knowing anything about the game would potentially break this.

I personally think that, when it comes to Smash, they'll stay quiet until the tournament.
So when is the tournament again? The 11th or the 12th?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Chibi-Robo
Isabelle
Inklings

That's why I unironically wish that the ResetEra Admin who SUPPOSEDLY know the full roster and said "ITS THE ULTIMATE ROSTER" get out to just debunk or be vague about this leak tbvh.
But
>ResetEra Admin coming out to confirm something
Lmao.
Anyway, don't give up dude- really- beside, you might get a big surprise at E3!

Rumor goes that there might be a big Ridley statue at the Nintendo Booth...So who knows- since Vergeben said that he might get an appearance outiside of Smash. So either MP4 trailer, or a big Statue, since Nintendo like doing those kind of Booth for their "main game" since the BOTW and last year Mario OdysSey.

Why aren't we considering Kamek more seriously? He's the main villain of the Yoshi franchise, he's Bowser's personal steward, he has tons of potential with his magic, he is highly recognized, and he has made recent appearances in Yoshi's Wooly World, Yoshi's New Island, and Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World. He's got a lot going for him, especially given the timing of the roster selection. What is it about him that makes him unlikely?
Unironically... I feel like Kamek wouldn't fit in the game, don't asks me why, it would just feels weird, beside, isn't he always on his broom? Wouldn't it be complicated to make a moveset with him being in a flying broom but unable to fly forever?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Generic character syndrome perhaps? In Japan, Magikoopas are called Kameks, and that can likely explain why Kamek got the Smash Run enemy treatment in Smash 3DS, and a mere stage cameo in Smash Wii U.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

The only thing Kamek has going for him is that he's the next reasonable Yoshi rep.

Aside from that, he doesn't have much. He's not particularly popular, New Island and Woolly World weren't critically successful games, he's not nearly iconic as other villains (and you can thank his identical design to Magikoopas for that), and there's honestly plenty of other series that have done more to warrant a newcomer than Yoshi.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this and we could get him after all, but seeing how someone as popular and relevant as Bandana Dee can't get in Smash yet, I'm very skeptical of his chances.

Zeox

Smash Champion
The coolest things that leakers can find are the ones that will be leak first.
What would you leak first, that Crash, Waluigi and K. Rool are gonna be playable, or that the stage builder now have a little more stuff?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Unironically... I feel like Kamek wouldn't fit in the game, don't asks me why, it would just feels weird, beside, isn't he always on his broom? Wouldn't it be complicated to make a moveset with him being in a flying broom but unable to fly forever?
Nah, he's not always on his broom. Often, but he's also seen semi regularly on the ground.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The coolest things that leakers can find are the ones that will be leak first.
What would you leak first, that Crash, Waluigi and K. Rool are gonna be playable, or that the stage builder now have a little more stuff?
I'd go with the former, especially for my boy, King. K Rool. Stage builder wouldn't be bad to leak, though.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think the only thing we might get from that is the title, which could be helpful in confirming/debunking these rumors.

Reminder and thought that from Master Of Hyrules source most of the props we're weapons or signature items for the characters, so instead of a Ridley statue I'd be on the look out for a baby Metroid capsule, OR even more likely a whip. A whip almost confirms Simon Belmont and that supports Veregeben's claims.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Replace Toad with Paper Mario and add elma and that's essentially me. While a lot of the smash 4 newcomers were cool and they were fun to play as I wasn't particularly excited for them as someone who's never played fire emblem, kid icarus, animal crossing (at the time), punch out or Xenoblade (at the time). The only newcomers I was mildly excited for were Rosa and Bowser Jr and even then not that much lol.

Having characters I actually like being relevant is fun since I'm pretty confident I'll get at least one.
Why not have both?

I genuinely do want two Mario characters again, but I am greedy and can't pick between Paper, Waluigi or even Daisy for the last choice.

And oops I forgot to add Elma. She's pretty up there too for me.

That's why I unironically wish that the ResetEra Admin who SUPPOSEDLY know the full roster and said "ITS THE ULTIMATE ROSTER" get out to just debunk or be vague about this leak tbvh.
But
>ResetEra Admin coming out to confirm something
Lmao.
Anyway, don't give up dude- really- beside, you might get a big surprise at E3!
Trying not to get down, it's just been the one thing I've wanted from Nintendo since I joined these forums.

I feel the pain of the Ridley fans as they're in a very similar situation of having their favourite character being relegated to a NPC for every game to date. Hopefully this is the year we both get what we want!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the only thing we might get from that is the title, which could be helpful in confirming/debunking these rumors.

Reminder and thought that from Master Of Hyrules source most of the props we're weapons or signature items for the characters, so instead of a Ridley statue I'd be on the look out for a baby Metroid capsule, OR even more likely a whip. A whip almost confirms Simon Belmont and that supports Veregeben's claims.
And why do you say that a whip is very likely to appear in that form at E3?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Probably because he's just a generic Magikoopa in Japan. I wish he was more discussed too, he's my second most wanted character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Still doesn't give the rumor credibility. I also predicted that, if Sakurai were in talks with Konami, Snake would be back. It's not hard to make that conclusion.

And the harm is evident from posts like YoshiandToad YoshiandToad above, with people losing hope for perfectly plausible characters because we as a community are giving this rumor more attention than necessary.
Real or fake, it doesn't matter, I am just preparing myself for the worst case scenario to minimize feelings of disappointment should it come to pass.

I set myself up for disappointment when I believed Toad would finally get in Smash. He had a lot going for him pre-SSB4 with New Super Mario Bros. Wii & U and especially Super Mario 3D World (this game was announced at the same E3 that SSB4 was announced)... only for Rosalina to get in the roster.

Also, these two Pics of the Day were the worst for me. November 21, 2013 (the day Super Mario 3D World came out) and December 18, 2013 (the day Rosalina was confirmed).

I don't want to feel like that again in Smash Switch... especially when Toad once again has a lot going for him pre-Smash Switch with Captain Toad for Wii U, 3DS, and Switch... only for Mallow and Geno possibly muscling in just like Rosalina did.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Don't talk to much about adding more Yoshi reps, or nintendo will understand it wrong and add baby mario, baby luigi and other kind of baby characters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Don't talk to much about adding more Yoshi reps, or nintendo will understand it wrong and add baby mario, baby luigi and other kind of baby characters.
The day Smash bros add Babies as playable character will be the day I give up hope in the series as a whole.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Lol, yeah.

I honestly want Kamek because I like him as a character. I don't care so much about "repping" Yoshi. I just really like magic users.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to feel like that again in Smash Switch... especially when Toad once again has a lot going for him pre-Smash Switch with Captain Toad for Wii U, 3DS, and Switch... only for Mallow and Geno possibly muscling in just like Rosalina did.
It's tough being a Toad supporter, and while I am happy to know if other long time wanted characters like Ridley and King K Rool might be getting in after all these years - does seem like despite Toad's roles over the years, Sakurai seems to dismiss them. Hoping for Toad since Melee, I feel your pain. D:

Despite that, I'll continue to be optimistic for this Smash and perhaps at e3 we might be surprised by whatever is to come. I still dream of the Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad battle ala SMB2 and SM3DW - and perhaps Captain Toad might pull through at some time if the leak does appear to be false or even as DLC. Let's hope for the best (Treasure Tracker's re-release is around the corner as well)!

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
10 DAYS FOR SMASH BROS FOR SWITCH.
Hooray, hooray, it won't be so long.

If there's a Yoshi representative it would be Baby Mario / Luigi.
Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr. are too similar.

And one fighter:

METABEE FOR SMASH BROS FOR SWITCH.
Metabee apeared in Nintendo handhelds (correct me if i'm wrong).

Smash Bros needs more robots and killing machines.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
And why do you say that a whip is very likely to appear in that form at E3?
Sorry I didn't mean likely that the whip would appear but more likely a whip than a baby Metroid capsule.

The Master of Hyrule "leak" said there would be weapons and props associated to characters on display. If Simon Belmont is indeed playable he would probably have his whip on display. Basically if we get confirmation that a whip is one of the props, that will almost confirm Veregeben's leak for me.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It's tough being a Toad supporter, and while I am happy to know if other long time wanted characters like Ridley and King K Rool might be getting in after all these years - does seem like despite Toad's roles over the years, Sakurai seems to dismiss them. Hoping for Toad since Melee, I feel your pain. D:

Despite that, I'll continue to be optimistic for this Smash and perhaps at e3 we might be surprised by whatever is to come. I still dream of the Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad battle ala SMB2 and SM3DW - and perhaps Captain Toad might pull through at some time if the leak does appear to be false or even as DLC. Let's hope for the best!
Honestly, I think Captain Toad has the best chances of any Toad for inclusion to date. While Toad was certainly popular during the Wii era too, Bowser Jr. took on the role of secondary antagonist and Rosalina fulfilled a niche that Sakurai found interesting. Now that his main competition has already been included, his recent roles have cemented him at least genuine consideration from Sakurai.

A role in every mainline Mario title since Galaxy and a spin-off that has made its way to three of Nintendo's consoles is a feat even for Mario characters. His biggest competition is either Paper Mario or Waluigi, imo, and he seems to have a better resume than those two do.

If any Mario character is being added, I feel like he's the clear frontrunner, which isn't something I could have said about Toad for SSB4 given that Bowser Jr. existed.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Sorry I didn't mean likely that the whip would appear but more likely a whip than a baby Metroid capsule.

The Master of Hyrule "leak" said there would be weapons and props associated to characters on display. If Simon Belmont is indeed playable he would probably have his whip on display. Basically if we get confirmation that a whip is one of the props, that will almost confirm Veregeben's leak for me.
What else did the Master of Hyrule leak say, I think vergeben mentioned how ridley would have a "presence" other than just in smash at E3 and it could be in the form of a prop, thats the sort of thing that might get "leaked" honestly cause it might involve outsourcing to prop manufacturers OR even just a set up crew at the convention hall.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well, when in Rome...

Ridley: Hype: 30% Never played any Metroid games but that didn't stop me from liking Samus, and his design is cool at least.

Simon: Hype: 45% Never played his games either, but has good potential for a unique move set.

Wolf: Hype: 100% WOOOLF, *howl* WOOOLF, *howl* WOOOLF, *howl* WOOOLF. Props to anyone who knows where that's (not that its incredibly hard to know)

King K. Rool: Hype 0% Never been big on heavyweight characters, speedsters are more of my speed, it doesn't help that I have no interest in him but hey more DK isn't bad that's for sure.

Dixie Kong: Hype: 100% Which is exactly why Dixie hype is this high is easily a big hype factor to me potentially quick and nimble character and again more DK rep isn't a bad thing (even though I've never played a DK game what's wrong with me with All these games I never played? I need virtual console :( T_T).

Sora: Hype 100% Yes! Give me my Keyblade Warrior.

Geno/Mallow: Hype: 30% Never played this game so I don't know what they can do but they both look interesting

Chorus Kids: Hype 0% No interest in them at all

Porky: Hype 80% Only this high cause of all of you who'd sold me on such a evil, yet tortured, and complex characters thank you. Also robo mech.

Medusa: Hype: 75% IT'S THE FIGHT OF THE CENTURY PALUTENA VS MEDUSA GET YOUR TICKETS TODAY! (but here's hoping that Sakurai buffs Palutena, and give her a better moveset to better compete with Medusa)

Mimikyu: Hype 20% Would rather Lycanroc, Gardevoir, or Zeraora but it's still such a cute and wonderful Pokémon.

Elma: Hype 100% Yes, give me my dual wielder now please

Snake: Hype: 100% "Its Showtime"

Ice Climbers: Hype: 100% Bring them home Sakurai

Goroh: Hype: 5% Again not big on heavyweight fighting styles, but Sumo plus added sword styles does sound interesting definitely haven't been done before plus another F-Zero rep.

Takamaru: Hype 70% The reason why Goroh is low. To be honest I am kinda scared that he'll hurt Lyn's chances of getting in otherwise he'd be higher, but playing with a Samurai/Katana sword/Eastern sword style character is something that I really, really want. Sakurai if you can hear me please add both of them to the game.

The puns are the best part :)
Please be careful of double posting in the future, I would recommend using the edit button instead.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Frankly, yoshi crafts and arts still feel like a super niche series... I would give it a try. but so far it have been too expensive for a series that i approach with a "I don't know" and im almost certain im not 100% their objective market, and i think this sentiment is shared between a lot of people who plays smash and are vocal here on the forums.

Unexperience of the games asides, first i feel that the series strong point isnt his story or his characters, but on its colorful and charming worlds, so while i would welcome new yoshis stages (we have had plenty) i dont see them going for a second yoshi character. plus gameplay wise, all of the important stuff is probbaly better for yoshi.

That being said, even if they go for a second character, i dont feel is a series that would want to choose an antagonist, if anything, poochy have been way more marketed and known as something "yoshi exclusive" that could represent the series.

That being said, speaking particulary for kamek, he is generic as hell... like quite literally. give the guy a scarf (or a bandana :p) and we are talking. A "name" woudlnt hurt him either even if is somethig akin of Mr.Kamek, or KaMike.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Also, this is relatively out of the blue, but it came to mind while playing Alph to get the Final Smash trophy in All-star Mode.

Can we please give the yellow Pikmin something useful? All the others have some sort of benefit, but the yellows just have a high throwing curve.

How about making the yellows stronger for aerial attacks than reds in the air, but weaker on the ground? It would fit, since yellows have always been easier to throw to high places in the Pikmin games.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think Captain Toad has the best chances of any Toad for inclusion to date. While Toad was certainly popular during the Wii era too, Bowser Jr. took on the role of secondary antagonist and Rosalina fulfilled a niche that Sakurai found interesting. Now that his main competition has already been included, his recent roles have cemented him at least genuine consideration from Sakurai.

A role in every mainline Mario title since Galaxy and a spin-off that has made its way to three of Nintendo's consoles is a feat even for Mario characters. His biggest competition is either Paper Mario or Waluigi, imo, and he seems to have a better resume than those two do.

If any Mario character is being added, I feel like he's the clear frontrunner, which isn't something I could have said about Toad for SSB4 given that Bowser Jr. existed.
Absolutely agree there, and I too believe the Captain has potential for the future as well. His games being ported to both 3DS and Switch seems to indicate that Nintendo feels quite confident about this game's success.

Captain Toad brings a lot more interesting tools as well than most toads (perhaps with some elements of Toad being present such as his iconic high speed and turnips - which also reappeared in CT:TT). Alts for even classic Toad/Toadette/Toad Brigade are also something I would expect too if he were to be revealed for Smash. Would be neat to have a stage manipulating/trapper character in Smash which I feel Captain Toad could certainly bring to the table with his mining-based abilities.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is why.

Given Kamek and Magikoopa are much or less the same, his chances are extremely poor.

Yarn Yoshi seems as the only possible Yoshi newcomer to me.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This is why.

Given Kamek and Magikoopa are much or less the same, his chances are extremely poor.

Yarn Yoshi seems as the only possible Yoshi newcomer to me.
I mean, that's a past role, not a current one.

Even then, Kamek is clearly shown to be a separate character from generic Magikoopas even in Japan, where their names are the same. He has his own characterization and motives, particularly in the Yoshi franchise, where this particular Magikoopa, called Kamek here, is essentially Bowser's foster parent.

This doesn't discredit him any more than having multiple Pikachu discredits the Pikachu shown in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I mean, that's a past role, not a current one.

Even then, Kamek is clearly shown to be a separate character from generic Magikoopas even in Japan, where their names are the same. He has his own characterization and motives, particularly in the Yoshi franchise, where this particular Magikoopa, called Kamek here, is essentially Bowser's foster parent.

This doesn't discredit him any more than having multiple Pikachu discredits the Pikachu shown in Smash.
Pikachu is a bad example for your argument. As Pikachu is the mascot for the entire Pokemon brand. Pikachu is one of the characters that can without a doubt be placed under the "Icon" Umbrella.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
What else did the Master of Hyrule leak say, I think vergeben mentioned how ridley would have a "presence" other than just in smash at E3 and it could be in the form of a prop, thats the sort of thing that might get "leaked" honestly cause it might involve outsourcing to prop manufacturers OR even just a set up crew at the convention hall.
Master of Hyrule didn't mention anything else but select props for veterans.
I've personally interperted that as a reveal in Metroid Prime 4, could then tie in with a Smash reveal trailer.

However it's all up to interpretation, nothing was stated where it would be a presence at E3 itself or just a different game etc. Honestly feels like being vauge for the sake of safety and assuming Ridley will appear somewhere else during E3.

As big of a hype reveal Ridley would be I don't imagine a giant Ridley prop because 1. It just seems unrelastic, cheesy and a fan made idea imo, not Nintendo at all. And 2. That would be incredibly hard to hide from press etc. I'd imagine. Like I figure there's probably a no cell phone rule during set up or whatever but I feel like a big statue is way too easy to leak and would be risky for Nintendo.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Pikachu is a bad example for your argument. As Pikachu is the mascot for the entire Pokemon brand. Pikachu is one of the characters that can without a doubt be placed under the "Icon" Umbrella.
The point is that it can be applied to any Lucario, or Charizard, or Mewtwo or Greninja and specially any Jigglypuff. Or any Yoshi. We also have the generic avatars from Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom