• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Kamek: The recurring villain of the Yoshi series and Bowser's personal henchman. Apparently, this Magikoopa has raised Bowser since he was young and has fought Yoshi and the Mario Bros. since the latter were mere children. He's well-recognized among even the more casual fanbase as the Mario wizard dude, and he has plenty of potential for a really interesting moveset. Further, the Yoshi series has been really active during the period right before the roster was likely decided, with Yoshi's Wooly World, Yoshi's New Island, and Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World coming out recently. That said, I do recognize that he's an off-the wall pick. He's not popularly requested, and the Yoshi series arguably doesn't need another representative. Certainty: 20%
I agree with you on Kamek, but why doesn't the Yoshi series NEED another representative?

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
-10 days boys, we're so close I can almost taste it.

The E3.
Not the Ice Climbers reveal.
That would be illegal.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Others are doing it, and so shall I

Ridley: 9000% (Yeah...I would be caught off guard)
Simon: 50% (the music...I remember Dashie nearly crying over it and the song, 2-1 or 4-1 me thinks, was so amazing)
Wolf: 70% (Furries with Cool Voices Trinity)
King K. Rool: 80% (Expand)
Dixie Kong: 90% (Ultra Expand)
Sora: 0% (:4pit::4pit::4pit::4pit::4pit::4pit::4pit::4pit::4pit::4pit:>>>>>>>>>>)
Geno/Mallow: 50% (More Mario characters)
Chorus Kids: 0% (know nothing about them)
Porky: 40% (know only Ness and Lucas)
Medusa: 100% (YES)
Mimikyu: 21% (I want a grass type, unless this Pokémon is one)
Elma: 19% (Pyra/Myphra >)
Snake: 40% (new 3rd party instead)
Ice Climbers: 100% (YES)
Samurai Goroh: 40% (:4falcon:...but a black guy instead)
Takamaru: 40% (know nothing about him)
Lyn/Celica/Anna: 9000%
Captain Toad/Toadette: 9000%
Impa: 80% (new Zelda character needed)
Viridi: 100% (YES)
Eddie the Yeti: EXPANDSION PACKED% (EXPAND)
Leo Luster: READY TO MAKE COCONUT CREAM PIES (I’m Leo Luster)
*get the references*
Amy Rose: 90% (please)
& Knuckles: & Knuckles%...& Knuckles (don’t chuckle and flex muscle...& Knuckles)
"Sora: 0% (:4pit:>)" Hmm lemme guess, you didn't like the Death Battle of Sora v's Pit very much did you (even though I liked the outcome, I was still conflicted and sad cause Pit is one my favorite characters) Haha :)
Lyn/Celica/Anna: 9001% there fixed that for you :)
Definitely loving the love for Impa.

I think this one of the best prediction sheets so far:)

Staarih

Smash Master
10 days left huh? The hype is getting me.

So, I was thinking about the Invitational, they'll probably allow items right (they did with the Smash 4 tournament at least)? So that could be a "make it or break it"-situation for some characters who might show up as Assist Trophies and/or Pokéball Pokémon. But I have a feeling they'll reveal a ton of detailed stuff in their presentation beforehand. In any way, well be so much wiser after E3 and I cant wait!

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Hooooii~ Courtesy from Anon, here's another update on the wonderful world of Leaks and Rumor!~ With some VERY interesting development.

So. What interesting development? Well, Anon managed to get in contact with Vergeben himself by GameFaqs PM?

I love this. This is like following an investigation team-
We L.A Noire Now.
Wait Nintendo actually asked on twitter about "team mallow or team geno"?
holy farts.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
holy farts.
Yes but keep in mind they asked it before this imgur "leak" was released.
So it could simply have followed this statement.

Or am I wrong? Anyone has the date of when this "leak" was first released with only the pictures, then when he posted the list?

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Yes but keep in mind they asked it before this imgur "leak" was released.
So it could simply have followed this statement.

Or am I wrong? Anyone has the date of when this "leak" was first released with only the pictures, then when he posted the list?
I am not sure when the imgur leak was released, but even if it was after Nintendo made that tweet, is still interesting, it would show that the dude that make the leak didn't just add random favorite characters.
And the leaker must also have been aware of this:

So it is not just a random list of characters, but the dude knew about all of this... that of course, if it is fake.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well, when in Rome...

Ridley: Hype: 30% Never played any Metroid games but that didn't stop me from liking Samus, and his design is cool at least.

Simon: Hype: 45% Never played his games either, but has good potential for a unique move set.

Wolf: Hype: 100% WOOOLF, *howl* WOOOLF, *howl* WOOOLF, *howl* WOOOLF. Props to anyone who knows where that's (not that its incredibly hard to know)

King K. Rool: Hype 0% Never been big on heavyweight characters, speedsters are more of my speed, it doesn't help that I have no interest in him but hey more DK isn't bad that's for sure.

Dixie Kong: Hype: 100% Which is exactly why Dixie hype is this high is easily a big hype factor to me potentially quick and nimble character and again more DK rep isn't a bad thing (even though I've never played a DK game what's wrong with me with All these games I never played? I need virtual console :( T_T).

Sora: Hype 100% Yes! Give me my Keyblade Warrior.

Geno/Mallow: Hype: 30% Never played this game so I don't know what they can do but they both look interesting

Chorus Kids: Hype 0% No interest in them at all

Porky: Hype 80% Only this high cause of all of you who'd sold me on such a evil, yet tortured, and complex characters thank you. Also robo mech.

Medusa: Hype: 75% IT'S THE FIGHT OF THE CENTURY PALUTENA VS MEDUSA GET YOUR TICKETS TODAY! (but here's hoping that Sakurai buffs Palutena, and give her a better moveset to better compete with Medusa)

Mimikyu: Hype 20% Would rather Lycanroc, Gardevoir, or Zeraora but it's still such a cute and wonderful Pokémon.

Elma: Hype 100% Yes, give me my dual wielder now please

Snake: Hype: 100% "Its Showtime"

Ice Climbers: Hype: 100% Bring them home Sakurai

Goroh: Hype: 5% Again not big on heavyweight fighting styles, but Sumo plus added sword styles does sound interesting definitely haven't been done before plus another F-Zero rep.

Takamaru: Hype 70% The reason why Goroh is low. To be honest I am kinda scared that he'll hurt Lyn's chances of getting in otherwise he'd be higher, but playing with a Samurai/Katana sword/Eastern sword style character is something that I really, really want. Sakurai if you can hear me please add both of them to the game.

I actually hope we get no "Card" when a character appears like his name and a usually cringy puns...let us enjoy the show
The puns are the best part :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Also, with this list of newcomers, you can make a few cool events...

"Duel of Samurais" Goroh vs Takamaru
"The mech destroyer" Elma VS Porky, defeat Porky with Elma's final smash (her mech)
"Tag team battle" Ice Climbers vs Geno and Mallow...

I like this roster more and more everyday, and that's why it'll be proven fake one minute into E3. :gova:

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion

"The mech destroyer" Elma VS Porky, defeat Porky with Elma's final smash (her mech)

I like this roster more and more everyday, and that's why it'll be proven fake one minute into E3. :gova:
And a fight of Simon Belmot VS Ridley, the battle between castlevania and metroid.... metroidvania
and imagine this as a promotional art but Dracula is Ridley:

(I think someone already mentioned this)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's true that there the Team Mallow/Geno tweet that seems pretty Shady alongside the fact that he probably knew about the Video with Sora's right. Could be how the Leaker made his fake leak

However the other weird thing is that Nintendo kinda NEVER mention Geno/Mallow AT ALL like...NEVEEER which is surprising that they suddenly decide to put a tweet for a random event like the 22anniversary along side doing the most one sided battle of Mallow vs Geno lmao.

But once again, what is important is that Vergeben probably know MORE but he literally can't say anything because that would put into risks his source so he have to wait E3.

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Now, if the leak about Geno and Mallow is true, I wonder what kind of duo is that.

Something that involves gameplay like the Ice Climbers, just an aesthetic thing like Duck Hunt or simply a "summon" like Chrom summoned by Robin?
I would hope for the first kind, but I guess it's probably either the second or the third one.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I can see it being a Dunk Hunt Duo kind of deal personaly, Geno and Mallow each doing a part of the moveset-

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I didn't explain my views on this Imgur leak.
The reasons why I don't think it's real (excluding the obvious fact that it's completely random and out of nowhere):

-Geno and Mallow as a team just a few days after Nintendo tweeting about it. Way too strange. My biggest problem witht he leak, to be honest.
-King K. Rool and Dixie both getting in. We struggled for over ten years to get at least one of them in and now they both join? What you could say is that the poll plays for them, but still...
-Sora, a character from Disney. I read what was posted earlier but I still highly doubt it, especially with all the crew in this rumor coming along with Sora.
-A theme, "Heroes vs Villains", would be a first in Smash.
-Porky, Goroh and Medusa, characters coming from series in hiatus or finished. Not a proof but it helps on doubting it a bit more.
-Heavily relying on another leak including Simon, Ridley and Ice Climbers.

The only thing that has for it is saying Snake comes back before Vergeben mentions him. And the problem is, Vergeben might not be real.
I know, "X or Y character being present doesn't mean it's fake", but the timing of the leak and its characters allow us to make a stand. But it doesn't have options like Spring Man, Decidueye, Toad or Rex and Pyra, so there is that...

If it ends up being real though, I'll shave my beard. And put a Porky image instead of Todd Howard's. I'll provoke destiny.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I didn't explain my views on this Imgur leak.
The reasons why I don't think it's real (excluding the obvious fact that it's completely random and out of nowhere):

-Geno and Mallow as a team just a few days after Nintendo tweeting about it. Way too strange. My biggest problem witht he leak, to be honest.
-King K. Rool and Dixie both getting in. We struggled for over ten years to get at least one of them in and now they both join? What you could say is that the poll plays for them, but still...
-Sora, a character from Disney. I read what was posted earlier but I still highly doubt it, especially with all the crew in this rumor coming along with Sora.
-A theme, "Heroes vs Villains", would be a first in Smash.
-Porky, Goroh and Medusa, characters coming from series in hiatus or finished. Not a proof but it helps on doubting it a bit more.
-Heavily relying on another leak including Simon, Ridley and Ice Climbers.

The only thing that has for it is saying Snake comes back before Vergeben mentions him. And the problem is, Vergeben might not be real.
I know, "X or Y character being present doesn't mean it's fake", but the timing of the leak and its characters allow us to make a stand. But it doesn't have options like Spring Man, Decidueye, Toad or Rex and Pyra, so there is that...

If it ends up being real though, I'll shave my beard. And put a Porky image instead of Todd Howard's. I'll provoke destiny.
The only thing I don't agree with is Dixie and K Rool not being able to get in at the same time. Tropical Freeze was too late to impact smash 4 so adding her now since she's a recent character makes sense, she was also planned for brawl so sakurai has a moveset mapped out in his head and he knows she can be unique. Both are popular picks, with both like sitting high on the ballot, K Rool probably higher, he also had a mii costume so they know the demand is there. Dixie getting in due to relevance, popularity also helping and k rool getting in due to fan demand makes sense to me. And it's not like a series has never gotten 2 original characters in the same game before (see kirby in brawl and mario in smash 4). Not saying it will happen but I don't think the idea is that out there.

Both would be getting in on their own merits, them both being DK characters shouldn't really impact whether they should get in when they both have a lot going for them, many people would like them and they'd both make unique newcomers anyway.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why is the countdown set to EDT settings? With E3 being located at California, the countdown should probably be set to PDT settings.

I'm simply saying this, because I seriously doubt that E3 would begin at 9 AM EDT.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
King K. Rool and Dixie are not mutually exclusive and can both make it in the base roster. Their situation isn't comparable to something like the Xenoblade characters.

But it doesn't have options like Spring Man, Decidueye, Toad or Rex and Pyra, so there is that...
The exclusion of all of those characters is completely believable.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But it doesn't have options like Spring Man, Decidueye, Toad or Rex and Pyra, so there is that...
That's literally the reason of why people somehow """""believe""""" in that leak compared to others. And give it interest
All of those characters not being here seems logical if you consider the timeline that the roster need to be finished in 2016 and think that Greninja is a special exception of being choosen before being revealed to the world.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
That's literally the reason of why people somehow """""believe""""" in that leak compared to others. And give it interest
All of those characters not being here seems logical if you consider the timeline that the roster need to be finished in 2016 and think that Greninja is a special exception of being choosen before being revealed to the world.
I agree:
Toad - Already Peach's neutral b. Geno is a more interesting Mario rep moveset wise.
Decidueye - Just look at Pokemon's merchandising, it is barely there at all.
Rex and Springman - Roster was decided too early to add them.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He's a special example of having a slot reserved for him in the project plan even though X and Y wasn't going to be released for over a year. Roy also made it into Smash before his game was revealed to the world but he was a relatively easy clone addition that was never part of the Melee project plan and was only considered during development because Sakurai wanted some extra characters.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No, it's because old fogies hate new stuff and desperately want long time Brawl speculation era character to become a reality instead of anything new. Stuff like Geno, Porky, and Samurai Goroh are a dead giveaway whoever made this has been around the Brawl speculation era.

There's no logic, just bias.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
The reason I belive this leak is because the Geno Mallow team reminds me of Bowser Jr in his clown car which I remember being leaked first in a text leak and of course Sakurai would be bias and include Medusa.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
holy farts.
Don't get too overexcited though, this could be the Chibi-Robo on fire all over again (pls be true though).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
There's no logic, just bias.
t. Everyone after every game release complaining about Sakurai's bias :yeahboi:
Ahem.
No, it's because old fogies hate new stuff and desperately want long time Brawl speculation era character to become a reality instead of anything new. Stuff like Geno, Porky, and Samurai Goroh are a dead giveaway whoever made this has been around the Brawl speculation era.
I agree on most of this. But however the roster is actually Half-new/Half-old.
Honestly I don't think having less new Characters being a red flag, what's the biggest red-flag for me is the abundance of Third Parties, and especially Sora who seems more like a pipe-dream than anything after someonr watched the video with the Disney VP

The reason I belive this leak is because the Geno Mallow team reminds me of Bowser Jr in his clown car which I remember being leaked first in a text leak and of course Sakurai would be bias and include Medusa.
Never believe any leaks
Never believe that any characters is a shoe in.
Never says that any characters is impossible.
You're just setting yourself up for Disappointement .

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Ahem.

Honestly I don't think having less new Characters being a red flag, what's the biggest red-flag for me is the abundance of Third Parties, and especially Sora who seems more like a pipe-dream than anything after someonr watched the video with the Disney VP

Never believe any leaks
Never believe that any characters is a shoe in.
Never says that any characters is impossible.
You're just setting yourself up for Disappointement .
Nothing will ever be more disappointing than Corrin

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nothing will ever be more disappointing than Corrin
Talking about Corrin. I think that it was a really bad strategy to announce him in the FINAL DIRECT for Smash 4.

Honesly it Should have been Corrin announced with the show announcement instead of Cloud.
Then Bayonetta during the direct.
End With Cloud as the surprise character at the end of it.

Sit back and enjoy the world burn and becomes crazy.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
PSA for all Anti-leak folks out there:

TL;DR:

Nintendo's E3/Smash marketing materials are expected to be delivered to the Staples Center tomorrow. Leaks could happen as soon as Sunday. The Internet is about to become a very slippery slope for the next two weeks. Stay frosty.
Oh great good chance of crash boards on Sunday

Since leakers next to always happens maybe about smash bros in the direct Andy who gets revealed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I must admit, the leaked characters are starting to grow on me too. If the leak is real, then I am disappointed Toad still didn't get in Smash despite finally getting his own game in 20 years and said game getting ported to 3DS and Switch. It's like nothing Toad does is good enough for the Smash Gatekeeper (Sakurai).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I must admit, the leaked characters are starting to grow on me too. If the leak is real, then I am disappointed Toad still didn't get in Smash despite finally getting his own game in 20 years and said game getting ported to 3DS and Switch. It's like nothing Toad does is good enough for the Smash Gatekeeper (Sakurai).
But he's in smash-
As Peach moveset...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Talking about Corrin. I think that it was a really bad strategy to announce him in the FINAL DIRECT for Smash 4.

Honesly it Should have been Corrin announced with the show announcement instead of Cloud.
Then Bayonetta during the direct.
End With Cloud as the surprise character at the end of it.

Sit back and enjoy the world burn and becomes crazy.
Agreed. Had Corrin been revealed in the November 2015 direct he wouldn't have been as hated as he is right now.

Polan

Smash Lord
real talk, if you don't want to get spoiled, i would recommend to stay away from the internet for the next week or so. i'm like 99% sure that something will leak (logo, gameplay, stage props). after all, nintendo left us in the dark for months, people are desperate for any sort of information and there's no shortage of idiots that will take the plunge and leak something for some short-lived internet fame.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ahem.
People are inherently biased since we have out own perspectives. Even Sakurai is too, which is why I personally don't take his words as gospel like others do (that and other facts). So when people are getting upset about his perspective, it's no different from going on Twitter and telling someone they should "eat **** and die" for drawing fanart of a shipping you don't like.

Believe it or not, but I can actually buy into third parties being a larger priority. There's already a progression between Brawl and Wii U/3DS where outside IPs are emphasized a lot more. In Brawl it was only two, Metal Gear and Sonic, while in the Wii U/3DS installment that tripled if only counting the playable characters. If counting in general (trophies, music, Mii costumes, etc), there are at least 28 more IPs referenced in some type of way.

What I can't buy is stuff like Simon Belmont and Sora, purely from a copyright standpoint. The latter moreso, due to how infamous Disney is when it comes to controlling their IPs, and the fact Disney franchises are a major part of Kingdom Hearts, to the point where characters like Mickey, Goofy, and Donald are major characters. Sorting all that out sounds like a nightmare. Not to mention the guys are Square Enix are infamous for picky themselves; Just getting Cloud was apparently a "miracle". It's one of those double whammy situations.

As for the new stuff like Elma and Mimikyu, while people say it does match up with how rosters are made based on timing, I also have doubts on that simply because of Nintendo's stance on the Wii U. It's pretty blatant that Nintendo wants to pretend the Wii U never happened, going so far as to delete the Wii U section on their official website as soon as the Nintendo Switch was released, porting the more notable Wii U titles on the Nintendo Switch, and ignoring the controversial games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Paper Mario Color Splash. Which is why I would not be surprised if the developers purposely looked into future games for more opportunities, at least for the games being released in the Switch's first year.

Note that I'm not dissing characters like Elma and Mimikyu, but from a marketing standpoint people are missing a pretty major component in the grand scheme of things.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
GUYS GUESS WHAT

I'M GOING TO E3!

GUESS WHAT ELSE?

...I ONLY REGISTERED TODAY AND YOU HAD TO REGISTER BY YESTERDAY IN ORDER TO PLAY SMASH!

..... :yoshi:

Oh well, this is still so incredibly exciting for me, not like Smash is the only game I'm insanely hyped up for!
Congratulations!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom