• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm on the side of, nothing is real unless proven. I still don't believe the Simon, Snake, and Ice Climbers(?) leak, although I would definitely be really happy to see Snake back, he was super fun to play as in Brawl!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm on the side of, nothing is real unless proven. I still don't believe the Simon, Snake, and Ice Climbers(?) leak, although I would definitely be really happy to see Snake back, he was super fun to play as in Brawl!
So am I. The imgur leak is very unrealistic.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
For me, hype at 100 % for Wolf, Ridley, ice Climbers, K Rool, dixie.

50% for Takamaru, Goroh, Simon, Snake, Elma

0% for the rest. Especially Sora and Geno. I don't want them at all.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As for the leaks... definitely not believing them yet, but, anyway not really my choice of newcomers. For some I care more about, Sora is one I'd be for (but he's in SSF2, so why be so excited since I already have a fully playable version of him, unless his moveset turns out to be much more fun?) Chorus Kids aren't really my pick for a RH newcomer even though I would be glad to see RH be represented, and it would be nice to see some of the veterans back in a different "engine" with new matchups (plus having Calling to the Night back as aforementioned, ahaha.)

Some of these picks would depend really, really heavily on their implementation, though; just the names don't actually mean anything when we don't know how they'll play. Smash is a videogame first and not a roster list, after all. Who knows, a character I don't really care for right now might become one of my favorites due to their playstyle.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Here's my personal hype rating...

Ridley: 50%
I love his design, but I don't really have any attachment to him from my limited experience with the Metroid games. I hope to change that with inevitable Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Simon: 0%
I don't care for the Castlevania games, which is weird because I do recall playing one of them on the Game Boy.

Wolf: 50%
I like the Star Fox series and Wolf as a character, but I don't have any strong attachment to him since his fighting style in Brawl didn't appeal to me.

King K. Rool: 100%
DK64 is one of my favorite childhood games, so it would be neat to see the villain in Smash.

Dixie Kong: 100%
I've been rooting for her since the Brawl days.

Sora: 0%
Never played the Kingdom Hearts game. The percentage could change if there was a Switch version.

Geno/Mallow: 10%
Never played their game, but they seem like a cool concept.

Chorus Kids: 10%
Same as Geno/Mallow.

Porky: 0%
Again, never played the Earthbound games.

Medusa: 0%
Never played the Kid Icarus games...which is weird because my brother has a copy of Uprising...

Mimikyu: 75%
Mimikyu was one of my favorite Generation 7 Pokemon. It's vastly superior to that lame-ass owl Pokemon...

Elma: 100%

Need I say more?

Snake: 0%
Sorry. :/

Ice Climbers: 20%
I somewhat enjoyed the Ice Climbers and believe their presence was sorely missed in the last games.

Goroh: 0%
No thank you.

Takamaru: 10%
He would be an interesting character, but I'm not rooting for him that much.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I’m curious and I don’t recall seeing anything stating so but when it was said that there was indeed some RH content in smash for, what was it? A lot of people still seem pretty set on the “chorus kids” idea. Why?

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
This looks like fun.

Porky: -- I adore the EarthBound series. I love all of its quirks, themes, and characters, but Porky is especially magnificent. I've been hoping for additional representation ever since I played EarthBound, and the pig king himself would be a truly splendid choice. 100% excitement factor.
Simon: -- Castlevania is a wickedly cool series (I'm partial to the original platformers), packed full of great music, settings, and casts. Furthermore, Simon Belmont is my favorite choice for 3rd-party representation, and just about the only character which I would choose for such a role. 100% excitement factor.
King K. Rool: -- The old croc is possibly my favorite character from one of my favorite video game franchises, and has been among my top 5 characters since the Smash 4 era. However, my disappointment in the past behavior of certain supporters has dwindled my desire ever-so-slightly. 90% excitement factor.
Medusa: -- I thoroughly enjoy Kid Icarus. I love the original games as well as Uprising, in no small part due to my fondness for Greek mythology, and, although I prefer Magnus as a character, the KI representation of Smash 4 just feels incomplete to me without Medusa. 70% excitement factor.
Ridley: -- Ridley appeals to the kid in me who is enraptured with science fiction, fantasy, and, most of all, giant, cheesy, rubber-suit monsters. Additionally, I'm always pleased to see long-time stars of Nintendo's iconic franchises get the recognition they deserve. However, the buck stops there for Ridley, as I lack experience with Metroid and have no personal connection to him or his character. 40% excitement factor.
Wolf: -- Wolf was fun to play in Brawl, and I like his character from what I've heard of it. However, I will never be as excited for cut veterans as I could be for newcomers. 35% excitement factor.
Snake: I liked Snake in Brawl, although I didn't miss him in Smash 4. I have no desire to play any Metal Gear games, although I'm sure they would be enjoyable, so I don't connect with Snake either. 35% excitement factor.
Mimikyu: I like Pokemon, and Mimikyu is a neat one. It doesn't come close to my desire for certain other Pokemon reps, but it's much better to me than many others. 30% excitement factor.
Samurai Goroh: F-Zero is cool, and I'd be happy to see more representation, but I'd prefer other characters from the series, and I wouldn't be disappointed if the games went without a second rep. 20% excitement factor.
Dixie Kong: Although I've mentioned my passion for Donkey Kong several times before, I never quite cared for Dixie. She would be a fun character to play as, if done properly, but my priorities lie elsewhere. 10% excitement factor.
Chorus Kids: I'm totally unfamiliar with Rhythm Heaven. I wouldn't mind seeing the group in Smash, but I have no desire for their inclusion. 5% excitement factor.
Geno/Mallow: I like Super Mario quite a bit, but Geno isn't my cup of tea for a variety of reasons that are neither here nor there. At the very least, I wouldn't be upset with his inclusion. 5% excitement factor.
Ice Climbers: I never liked the Ice Climbers, although I appreciate their place in Nintendo's history. Ice Climbers in Smash is like medicine to me; you know that you'll have to accept it's part in your life if you want to continue normally. 1% excitement factor.
Takamaru: I like retro characters and games, but Takamaru isn't exactly my favorite character, and I'd prefer to see other reps from that period. 1% excitement factor.
Sora: I don't subscribe to Kingdom Hearts's following, and I can't say I've ever desired to play an installment. 0.5% excitement factor.
Elma: There's no way to beat around the issue here, so I shan't bother trying. I simply don't care for Xenoblade, let alone Elma. I accept the idea of Xenoblade getting another character, but in an ideal roster, I would have any other rep from the series than her. 0% excitement factor.

D

Deleted member

Did something change recently with the Imgur leak? Everybody's talking about it all of a sudden, did it get more evidence because something changed or are we just talking about it because we've got nothing else to talk about?
We are just desperate to find a new topic to talk about.

I mean this is better than hopelessly try to agree on a Zelda newcomer, or complaining about Pyra's outfit, or any other subject that has been beaten to the ground.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I’m curious and I don’t recall seeing anything stating so but when it was said that there was indeed some RH content in smash for, what was it? A lot of people still seem pretty set on the “chorus kids” idea. Why?
chorus kids were part of the "Gematsu leak" for smash 4, which had chorsu kids and chrom on it but guessed many other things right and in hindsight after more info about smash 4 came out it appears chrom and chorus kids WERE planned to be newcomers at one stage of development and were scrapped so the leak is generally agreed to be "true" but dated even at the time when we heard it.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Gematsu leak, it got everyone right except Chrom and these guys, and we know chrom was at least considered. Although they missed some characters like Rosa. It seems people are still conflicted on whether or not this was actually true.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Here's a topic:
What song do you want to be playing and remixed during your most wanted character's reveal trailer?
Here are a few songs I want played for a Reimu reveal even though she's never getting in.

I can't decide on one, lol.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
I’ll join in too
Ice Climbers: 70%
They’re ok
King K. Rool: 90%
You guys made me like him
Chorus Kids: 40%
The one mini game that I always screw up on
Medusa: 20% -
Not really into her
Simon Belmont: 80%
Like the Barbarian look
Dixie: 80%
Don’t know the character, but she looks cool
Elma: 20%
I would prefer someone from XB 2
Mimikyu: 20%
Prefer the other two Pokémon
Porky: 10%
Weird choice
Wolf: 80%
Happy to see him back
Sora: 100%
I love the series when I was younger
Ridley: 20%
Don’t know much of the series
Takamaru: 10%
Don’t really see the appeal of him. Looks like generic samurai
Snake: 90%
I love This man
Geno Mallow team: 60%
Geno looks cool. Don’t know the other though
Samurai Goroh: 20%
Ehh

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gematsu leak, it got everyone right except Chrom and these guys, and we know chrom was at least considered. Although they missed some characters like Rosa. It seems people are still conflicted on whether or not this was actually true.
One thing people need to understand is that absence of information isn't the same as information of absence. In other words, the Gematsu leak never claimed to have all of the newcomers, so not having Robin, Duck Hunt, or Rosalina shouldn't be held against it.

Plus I mean, it got Wii Fit Trainer and accurately dubbed the Miis as "Mii Fighters." :p It was 100% real but outdated.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Here's a topic:
What song do you want to be playing and remixed during your most wanted character's reveal trailer?
Here are a few songs I want played for a Reimu reveal even though she's never getting in.

This song during an Elma reveal, I also want her to fight samus and I want Lin, Elma and Tatsu talking throughout it

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Here's a topic:
Well, my most wanted is Rayman, so...this, I think.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What you just wrote made too much sense... now I am almost convinced the leak is real. Better get started on the five stages of grief.

RIP Toad, Meowth, and Decidueye (the one non-Meowth Pokémon I really wanted).
Wait, which leak were you two talking about? I am curious.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It was claiming Chrom was playable and definitely not Robin until the last minute.

What else even needs to be said? It’s a dead meme.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It was claiming Chrom was playable and definitely not Robin until the last minute.

What else even needs to be said? It’s a dead meme.
Could be outdated information? And didn't they get info from multiple different sources? one of them could've been wrong or got misinformation. Regardless they still predicted Wii fit trainer and accurately names the miis as mii fighters so I think it's gotta be at least partly true

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ready for another roster? Sure you are.

I combined some obvious choices with some decidedly not so obvious choices. Yellow borders are DLC, magenta borders are considered, and green borders are considered for DLC.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Could be outdated information? And didn't they get info from multiple different sources? one of them could've been wrong or got misinformation. Regardless they still predicted Wii fit trainer and accurately names the miis as mii fighters so I think it's gotta be at least partly true
If it was outdated, wouldn’t it have both Chrom and Robin? Since they were both considered from the beginning?

I cannot believe we’re still talking about this three years later. Who cares?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
One thing people need to understand is that absence of information isn't the same as information of absence. In other words, the Gematsu leak never claimed to have all of the newcomers, so not having Robin, Duck Hunt, or Rosalina shouldn't be held against it.

Plus I mean, it got Wii Fit Trainer and accurately dubbed the Miis as "Mii Fighters." :p It was 100% real but outdated.
It may have had legitimate info but it was not 100% correct as not only did Chrom not make it in, but there is no evidence he was even planned, only considered before being rejected in favour of Robin. And no, Sakurai thinking up a moveset for Chrom is not actual evidence as thinking up movesets is something easy for Sakurai, shown by the fact he thought up a moveset for Greninja quickly. The Gematsu leak is more like 90% accurate with some incorrect info (probably because Sal Romano's source incorrectly assumed Chrom would be playable from hearsay or something).

If Chrom was planned, Sakurai would have stated it.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Man, it's crazy that they'll probably reveal the majority of newcomers at e3. That's messing with me. I'm used to a drip feed.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

I combined some obvious choices with some decidedly not so obvious choices. Yellow borders are DLC, magenta borders are considered, and green borders are considered for DLC.
You seem to have forgotten everyone’s favorite Venus Adept...

Originality

Smash Journeyman

Are you saying the magenta and green were considered by you or by Sakurai?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It may have had legitimate info but it was not 100% correct as not only did Chrom not make it in, but there is no evidence he was even planned, only considered before being rejected in favour of Robin. And no, Sakurai thinking up a moveset for Chrom is not actual evidence as thinking up movesets is something easy for Sakurai, shown by the fact he thought up a moveset for Greninja quickly. The Gematsu leak is more like 90% accurate with some incorrect info (probably because Sal Romano's source incorrectly assumed Chrom would be playable from hearsay or something).

If Chrom was planned, Sakurai would have stated it.
What I want to know is this: The leak came in two parts. The first part had the hard guesses (Miis and WFT). The second part had a lot of safe guesses, like Chrom and “a new Pokémon”, as well as the Chorus Kids, who never made it in.

Why does everyone assume that just because the source’s first leak may have been accurate, that means the second one was as well?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's a topic:

So, my most wanted newcomer among those with reasonable chances is Celica. Given that Sakurai has reused remixes in the past for certain trailers (notably Robin's), Celica's reveal trailer would probably use the Brawl remix of With Mila's Divine Protection, considering it's basically her theme. That being said, I would take the Shadows of Valentia version over it in a heartbeat.

But what I would REALLY want is for her trailer to utilize Twilight of the Gods, Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia's final map theme.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Chrom was considered first, being the most notable character. Sakurai found him to be rather... uninteresting, but Robin gave him something more to work with.

The leak isn't really outdated so much as showing who he considered, not outright planned entirely. Also, it's quite possible that the RH thing was just a guess of which character, as Sakurai may not have put anyone specific down. We know he considered an X/Y rep specifically. Greninja's concept art won that factor, and there we are. If nobody else was interesting to him, we wouldn't have a Gen VI Pokemon.

Honestly, the leak is pretty much real. But like all real leaks, some information will be normally outdated or missing parts.

Plus, as noted, it came in two parts. And it wasn't really incorrect. The second set of information was pretty up to date. Lucas or Ness being considered for a cut while the other is DLC. Mii Fighters by name, as well as Palutena, with both being shown off specifically at e3. And the person leaked the e3 bit less than a day before their reveal. There's no way they could've gotten the name and exact time of reveal. They clearly had outdated information regardless, as shown by Shulk's reveal date. Keep in mind with game delays and such, it's easy to see why a character reveal could be changed out. It's probably due to Lucina becoming a clone that gave them a different way to do it. Likewise, Palutena's reveal trailer was likely created before Dark Pit was a clone. Hence his name not being shown. Though it's still odd how his character profile on the site doesn't list him as a Newcomer.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Wait, which leak were you two talking about? I am curious.
about seven pages back i posted a really long analysis of the imgr leak (the one that was a riddle of images for people to guess at and then the leaker just gave us the list of characters the images refereed to and it lines up with the vergeben leak as well).

thats what we were referring to, but please make your own judgement and keep in mind my analysis was just looking at why it could be true not that it has much ACTUAL solid credibility, just a lot of circumstantial evidence that makes a bit of sense with its odd choices and i layed out why.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
about seven pages back i posted a really long analysis of the imgr leak (the one that was a riddle of images for people to guess at and then the leaker just gave us the list of characters the images refereed to and it lines up with the vergeben leak as well).

thats what we were referring to, but please make your own judgement and keep in mind my analysis was just looking at why it could be true not that it has much ACTUAL solid credibility, just a lot of circumstantial evidence that makes a bit of sense with its odd choices and i layed out why.
I see. This leak did hint at K. Rool, did it not?

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
oh, are we rating the characters in the alleged leak? or i guess we were when i started typing this, oops

"Oh My God Yes" tier:

Ridley and Wolf. two out of three ain't bad at all. as i've said, my only fear then would be that Sakurai deemed it necessary to attach some dumb gimmick to Ridley to preserve whatever his vision of the character is. but if he's done justice, and they bring Wolf back too, then i'm damn close to having everything i've ever wanted for Smash.

"Icing On The Cake" tier:

i thoroughly enjoyed Earthbound and Kid Icarus Uprising so i'm glad to see more love for them in the form of Porky and Medusa. Takamaru looks awesome, and even if i'm not their #1 fan i'm glad to see justice for the Ice Climbers.

"Congrats To Their Fans" tier:

King K. Rool and Dixie Kong have had it coming for ages. Snake was fun, i'd welcome him back. if Simon Belmont was able to get on that cartoon with the likes of Link and Pit then he must have had some pretty strong ties with Nintendo, and that's all i ask for with third-parties so he's fine by me. Mimikyu wouldn't be my first pick for a new Pokemon by any means, but it's one of the designs from gen 7 that i actually liked so i could learn to love him here. Samurai Goroh, sure, why not - i don't know F-ZERO well enough to say someone else is more deserving. And of course it's cool to see Geno/Mallow's fans dedication pay off.

"Blehh, Whatever" tier:

i just can't find it in my heart to be excited for Sora or the Chorus Kids, and my favorite thing about Elma is that she dresses better than Rex. the entire rest of the list makes me happy so i can't complain about a couple duds.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What I want to know is this: The leak came in two parts. The first part had the hard guesses (Miis and WFT). The second part had a lot of safe guesses, like Chrom and “a new Pokémon”, as well as the Chorus Kids, who never made it in.

Why does everyone assume that just because the source’s first leak may have been accurate, that means the second one was as well?
It wasn't the first leak that made the Miis a hard call. It was the second.

The first leak only had them listed as "Miis." It was only during the second batch that they were listed as "Mii Fighters" which cemented it as legitimate.

We know from Sakurai's own words that Robin was pretty much the last finalized character, as he said the project plan was written in mid-2012 when "they'd just decided on Robin." And considering Sakurai also said Greninja was added because they wanted a Gen VI Pokémon, this would also explain the vagueness of "Pokémon from X and Y." It shows it was a preliminary list from before Greninja was decided, and likely before even the project plan was finalized.

And considering there was unused icon data for Rhythm Heaven in the CHARACTER section, well...

The biggest issue with a lot of Smash fans (not saying you, just in general) is that they have this sort of myopic view of leaks, that it's either 100% real or 100% fake, and that's an issue because of situations like this where it was a leak that IS true...but came from too early of a time to represent the final product.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh hey the site has a countdown now.

Status
Not open for further replies.