• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Incineroar might've had a chance, but he is competing a lot more directly with Decidueye as a fellow starter and was basically killed off by not being in Pokken.
Because we all know Pokken and Smash determine who gets in the other game.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Ok so we got another leak on our hands and surprisingly this matches up with what other leaks have been saying to an extent the major exception being no playable Ridley. Overral I think this might just be an attempt to piggyback off of other leaks we have seen thus far and adding bits too it. Also, GTA 6 for PS3 and Xbox 360? That has got to be a joke.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Always assume rumors are false until proven credible. This new "leak" is something I could write up in less than five minutes if I wanted to. Don't bother giving it your time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If there is a big focus on DK with at least 2 additional characters, I'd love it if this game's codec's was "Cranky's tips". Where Cranky just goes savage on about every character in the game. Even if that meant the codecs weren't exactly voice acted but instead different monkey/ape grunts. But hey, if this game is going to have even more characters then Smash 4 did, might be a way to have codecs without the time spent on recording all those voice lines. And maybe even easier to actually provide commentary for DLC characters instead of the blanket statement they had.
Or Cramky pulls a Chrom/Slippy and interferes on whoever the KI crew are talking about

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Because we all know Pokken and Smash determine who gets in the other game.
Incineroar would definitely be my pick of what I would want from gen 7, I just don't see it happening. His popularity is trailing behind Decidueye, and he's another fire starter against Decidueye completing the trio. Aside from, you know, the Pokken thing.

The biggest thing Incineroar has going for him is being a heavyweight, and his heel status sort of makes him be a "villain" if you squint, two things Smash is lacking in after Smash 4.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If Ridley does get in, I'm not as worried about the boards crashing, I'm more concerned about all the repetitive jokes we'll have to suffer though.

BIG NEWS.
Look, I'll take a whole month of endless, ironic TOO BIG jokes that have then been rendered obsolete, than ever having to hear anyone unironically using Ridley's size as an argument against him.

Okay, here's one; if you HAD to give a second character to each third party character already existing in Smash Bros., who would you pick?
:4sonic:: Tails
:4megaman:: Zero (MMZ)
:4ryu:: Chun Li
:4cloud:: Black Mage

I don't know :4pacman: or :4bayonetta: enough to say which other newcomer they could bring in, if any.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I still don't understand why we dismiss Lycanroc. It's easily the frontrunner for the Pokemon character this time around, imo.
I don't think any pokemon is "easily" the front runner. Basically all the suggested options are great options. It's okay to have a preference and vouch for that preference, obviously, but I don't think anyone can say with certainty which pokemon is actually the most likely.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@pizzadudemanguy For my list?

Sonic: Shadow
MegaMan: Zero
Cloud: Sephiroth
Ryu: Vega(I like him the most, honestly, so...)
Pac-Man: Pinky, I guess?
Bayonetta: I don't know enough to properly say a character.
Snake: Raiden

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I still don't understand why we dismiss Lycanroc. It's easily the frontrunner for the Pokemon character this time around, imo.
I'm actually with you lycanroc may be one of the new Pokémon reps lycanroc is a popular Pokémon and out of all gen 7 Pokémon this one and the pre-evolution form are the most promoted and has moveset potential and they should be able to figure out a loophole so you can chose between the forms

For another reason there's a pattern in all smash bros games they always introduce two new Pokémon reps to all of them (charizard alone is considered a newcomer) so easily decidueye can still be the new Pokémon plus another one

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
My favored choice of the 4 Pokemon who get brought up is Incineroar, but I think it's the least likely. It's not about what I want.

Lycanroc's thing in his favor is the anime, which promotes it over Decidueye seeing as Ash has not even evolved Rowlett yet if I remember correctly. However, Mimikyu also has a very prominent anime role and is more promoted overall. I don't think that's enough to get Lycanroc in. His new recolor form was met with a lot of groans from the Pokemon community upons its reveal, Lycanroc's popularity pales in comparison to the other three as far as I can tell.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
In the Kirby franchise even Dark counterparts are unique and awesome.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Stick of Truth fit because it represents my favorite underappreciated and really not shown in modern South Park much value of the show.

These are just children. That title played on that.

It was really early season vibes or the rare modern episode where the whole thing is just a children's misconception or their imagination at play. Matt and Trey somehow lost a lot of that a long the way. Not really a problem because as old as South Park is?

It's still pretty fresh and relevant. It's just great that the two console games we've had by them really drove home that innoncence side of these rude and vile 4th graders.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Incineroar would definitely be my pick of what I would want from gen 7, I just don't see it happening. His popularity is trailing behind Decidueye, and he's another fire starter against Decidueye completing the trio. Aside from, you know, the Pokken thing.
Decidueye's popularity is nothing compared to Rowlet's. If they bring something new to the table, the typing shouldn't be a hinderance if that type already has a playable Pokemon in Smash. And starters shouldn't be blocked off because a starter of the same type is already in Smash. Decidueye wouldn't get in because he's a grass starter. He'd get in because of gameplay potential. Decidueye plus a returning Charizard and Greninja would just be a neat coincidence they completed "the starter trio."

Pokken is irrelevant to Smash. That game wasn't obligated to put Greninja and Jigglypuff in as playable characters. Why should Smash be obligated to put in Decidueye because he's in Pokken? What about the likes of Machamp, or Gardevoir, or Suicune, or Blaziken, or Pikachu Libre? Ignoring their individual popularity, they all have an equal shot of getting in.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
This is a nitpick of mine but it irks me when people use LEAK when the actual thing they're taking about is a RUMOR. They have completely different meanings.
Eh leak can be shorthand for "rumored leaked" as in it's rumored to be a leak.

You might say it's confusing to have leak refer to leaks and "rumored leaks" but tell that to yams. Yam can refer to yam sweet potatoes (aka soft sweet potatoes) or yams (unrelated to sweet potatoes).

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Decidueye's popularity is nothing compared to Rowlet's. If they bring something new to the table, the typing shouldn't be a hinderance if that type already has a playable Pokemon in Smash. And starters shouldn't be blocked off because a starter of the same type is already in Smash. Decidueye wouldn't get in because he's a grass starter. He'd get in because of gameplay potential. Decidueye plus a returning Charizard and Greninja would just be a neat coincidence they completed "the starter trio."

Pokken is irrelevant to Smash. That game wasn't obligated to put Greninja and Jigglypuff in as playable characters. Why should Smash be obligated to put in Decidueye because he's in Pokken? What about the likes of Machamp, or Gardevoir, or Suicune, or Blaziken, or Pikachu Libre? Ignoring their individual popularity, they all have an equal shot of getting in.
Rowlet fans are probably going to be satisfied with Decidueye's addition. Decidueye being in Pokken and Decidueye completing the starter trio do not guarantee him a spot, far from it, but they are something supplemental to help him. What does Incineroar have in his favor? If he was more popular than Decidueye it would be one thing, but it doesn't seem that he is.

Mimikyu and Lycanroc are the choices for a corporate advertisement Pokemon, but would be difficult to make be good fighters and aren't something Sakurai would find appealing if you ask me, especially in Lycanroc's case. Obviously they can have sets, I could even design them myself, but Sakurai prefers standard """cool""" humanoids as his fallback option.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Okay, so, Roster Prediction Time.
I'm predicting few, if any cuts. I'm also holding the opinion that we'll see fewer third party characters in the base roster, and that the Smash Ballot was in fact intended to give ideas not for DLC, but for Smash Switch, and that we'll thus be seeing more Ballot choices than most others predict.

1. Inklings. They are totally going to get in this time, everyone knows it, and... What do you mean they're already in? See, I told you. Totally best chance of getting in.

2. K. Rool. Between his huge ballot fanbase, and his unique and brand new costume, he seems one of the most likely newcomers. If my guess is right, characters who placed well in the Ballot have just as much "relevance" as characters who have new games, so there's little holding him back.

3. Takamaru. Sakurai wanted him in, but was afraid of lack of Western exposure. So he made him an Assist Trophy. Having gotten the exposure, there is nothing holding him back. And the Mii costume (which is another of the few first party ones not directly copied from existing assets, like K. Rool's) shows he's still on Sakurai's mind.

4. Bandana Dee. Kirby has gotten plenty of games since the launch of Smash 4, and remained as relevant as ever. Bandana Dee is a classic character, stretching back to Sakurai's own Kirby Super Star. He's promoted as the fourth of the major playable characters for the series, and shows no signs of vanishing.

5. Elma. Her game was actually out at the right time, while Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was still far enough in the future that I don't think Sakurai would feel comfortable pulling from it, since it could have been delayed. What's more, she has something that Rex and Pyra don't: a much more unique play style. Combine all of that with Sakurai's mech toy purchase to use its gun as a reference, and I think Elma is very likely.

6. Waluigi. This guy has a strong personality and a large fan base. If Sakurai is pulling from crowd favorites, he has a good chance of showing up.

7. Lycanroc. This one may be replaced by Decidueye or another Alola Pokemon depending on Sakurai's taste (at least everyone can knock a next-Gen Pokemon off their lists, after the reveal that those games are still a year out). But this is the Pokemon that has been pushed most heavily by The Pokemon Company, and is Ash's main Alola Pokemon on his anime journey. Though Sakurai makes the final call, this guy may be heavily requested.

8. Ridley. Still has an incredibly large fan base, and he's still a character that Sakurai thinks about every time a Smash game comes up. I'm not crossing him off the list any time soon. As the number of new characters from Nintendo franchises drops, and the demands continue, Sakurai will keep trying to make him work. I think it might happen.

9. Isaac. This one might be personal bias, as it is a character I love. But there's a lot of unanswered questions about the removal of his AT (while Ray's was very straightforward). We know from the AT that Sakurai knows the potential of his Psynergy (and is a fan of RPGs). And if our polling was right, he had strong ballot support. So I think he may have a chance.

10. Dixie Kong. Previously considered to be teamed up with Diddy Kong, she might still be on Sakurai's mind. And the Donkey Kong franchise is definitely still relevant as well, and I think relevant enough to pick up another newcomer, especially with ballot support.

11. Geno. Another character Sakurai wants, Geno is another unique Mii costume that would never have gotten in before a Final Fantasy character. But, with Cloud on the roster, has an opening.

12. Captain Toad. Popular, relevant character. He can't jump in his base game, but he certainly manages to get to a lot of difficult to reach high places in Super Mario Odyssey regardless of that. I think he's got a decent shot.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Controversial is an understatement.
That game terrorized me when I first played; especially Porky and his whole dark and depressing story and fate, but I guess that's why he's such an interesting character, and why a good chunk of the community would want him in the next game.
I know absolutely nothing about Porky (except what I saw in Brawl cause I've never played any Earthbound games) or why people want him so bad.

Don't get me wrong more power to you, me, and everyone who wants their favorite characters in Smash, but who's Porky? What's his backstory? how evil could he be? What's his appeal? and what other moves can he do than what we saw in Brawl. I know its a lot of question, but if someone has the time to get me the gist about Porky I'd be grateful.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Pokemon marketability, there are generally two sides of the spectrum: you have the "coolmon" with Lucario, Charizard and other final evolved forms. There's also the "cutemon", like Pikachu, Eevee, Jigglypuff - usually the base form of pokemon. As of late, Smash has had an abundance of "coolmon", and it's entirely possible that Sakurai prefers these types of fighters for Smash.

However, I think "cutemon" are a huge part of Pokemon's identity. To think that the last cutemon we had was Pichu back in Melee is telling that we desperately need another cutie to balance out the Pokemon reps. It's for that reason why I support Mimikyu of all the Gen 7 pokemon.

For Lycanroc, I can see the appeal I suppose, but I can't help but think that the way he is being pushed by Gamefreak reminds me of how Zoroark was pushed back in Gen 5. Then again, I don't really know how many people actually like Lycanroc since it's difficult to find a reliable metric of a character's popularity besides fan polls.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One thing I’m wondering about is if, for Decidueye, if being in Pokken hurts its chances. It’s entirely possible that they’d want to intentionally make the new gen reps from each game be different, so that fans specifically of either pick will have a game to turn to.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
One thing I’m wondering about is if, for Decidueye, if being in Pokken hurts its chances. It’s entirely possible that they’d want to intentionally make the new gen reps from each game be different, so that fans specifically of either pick will have a game to turn to.
Honestly I don't think it even matters. I don't think Sakurai is going to look at Decidueye and say "Well he was in Pokken, so I'll pass on him." Sakurai will add who he thinks is best fit, and that's really it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
To me, the owl is the least likely.

-Incenaroar was going to be a thing from the start judging by the concept art with Ash and Mallow.

He's going to be in the anime sooner or later, cuz Torracat is a thing at the moment.

-Mimikyu has been given some enormous support from the company.

So any fresh leaks about Smash?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Honestly I don't think it even matters. I don't think Sakurai is going to look at Decidueye and say "Well he was in Pokken, so I'll pass on him." Sakurai will add who he thinks is best fit, and that's really it.
Even if Sakurai doesn’t care, it’s still possible that The Pokémon Company might care, or that Bandai-Namco might care (since it’s possible that they might be helping with Smash again.)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What if we do not get a new Pokemon for the base roster? I am going there, boi.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Then Gen 7 isn't going to be on the roster. DLC will probably be a year to six months away from release and during that time we are in gen 8 country.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Even if Sakurai doesn’t care, it’s still possible that The Pokémon Company might care, or that Bandai-Namco might care (since it’s possible that they might be helping with Smash again.)
But Smash 4 and Pokken already share 4 Pokemon. I really don't think the two effect each other, regardless of the seemingly logical reason one could find here.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Then they’ll bring back the legendary :pichumelee: or :pt:(just the trainer...no Pokémon) instead

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Blasphemer! No, but seriously. I think it’s extremely unlikely. Pokémon has always gotten a newcomer, and with how successful Sun & Moon were, I’d be shocked if we didn’t get a new Pokémon rep.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Then Gamefreak throws money at Sakurai and makes angry calls until he does add one? There being an abundance of choices doesn't mean he can't make a choice.
Sakurai: I hated Sun & Moon. Where were the gym leaders? No representation!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think any pokemon is "easily" the front runner. Basically all the suggested options are great options. It's okay to have a preference and vouch for that preference, obviously, but I don't think anyone can say with certainty which pokemon is actually the most likely.
Fair.

When I say frontrunner, I actually consider Lycanroc to be about 40% likely, while Decidueye/Rowlet and Mimikyu are about 30% likely. Not a signficant difference between them, but a difference nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom