• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm still mystified by Lyn's sudden popularity. I could've sworn FE7 was never that popular five or six years ago, and even when Awakening released, she still wasn't as popular as she is now. Her sudden burst of popularity might be a bit too late.

Back in Brawl, she was my most wanted, but now there's just many more possible and interesting FE characters , like Micaiah or Celica (now in the spotlight).
Only Celica has a high enough chance in getting in before Lyn (alt or not), and Micaiah is probably not gonna happen since Ike seems to be the only Radiant character to represent those two games with the exception of the Awakening crew (:4robinm::4lucina::4robinf:), seems like a certain FE game allows only one rep.

I think it's part of FE7 being really successful, especially in the West. Pre-Awakening, FE had absolutely no marketing, no, negative marketing (Dorcas commercial anyone?). FE7 was right after Melee and everyone wanted to play the game with Marth and Roy in it. It had the most promotion the series ever had and was a lot of Westerners first introduction to the series, making Lyn nostalgic and popular.

Yeah, Lyn's pretty low tier when it comes to an interesting newcomer compared to other FE options. While I think her katana-like swords and bow implementation can be used uniquely, but different weapons would be much better. Side-note, if Ridley somehow gets added despite his size, I cannot wait for Pegasus and Wyvern Knights as mounted units being repped. Horses would be pretty cool too.

I'd understand Lyn not making the base game, but then she'd still be one of the strongest picks for DLC.
Good thing for Heroes giving her extra things to use as a way to be unique (and profit off of her)

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Inb4 they add Beastball as an item for the UBs and it still has a random chance for a Goldeen.

I see like half the arguments people attach to Mimikyu and think the exact same about Nihilego. The "weird body" and "lack of moveset" arguments specifically. I had another but it vanished as I was typing this.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One of Track Meet's taunts and winning poses should have him kneeling and using his hands to tap on the NES Power Pad. That would be a funny homage to real life gamers who used to do the same in the NES years.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Track Meet's Taunt

i swear if you're right for a second time, i'm quitting smash.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So am I, but your posts are loooooooong.

So I'll just list them
  • Mimikyu is a rival in the sense that he clashes with Pikachu often, and has a motivation for wanting to defeat or be better than him. This is not comparable to Ekans.
  • Mimikyu is a rival in that he's sort of an anti or nega Pikachu as is obvious by his design. He's kind of like Fake Crash or Wario, even if, like those characters, don't clash with the main character often, but Mimikyu of course does. Also not comparable to Ekans or Seviper.
  • Pretty sure Mimikyu appeared in way more episodes, including quite recently.
  • Whether or no Mimikyu is a match for Pikachu is irrelevant.
  • Mimikyu's totem role went beyond a boss battle, there were motives and a backstory and I believe he shows up later.
The point is, I don't feel like playing tennis with posts that are paragraphs long.
Ok I'll keep things in point form:
  • Mimikyu has a motivation yes, but its never reflected in the actual show. Sure it hates Pikachu, but it never does anything special out of its hatred. Compare with Pokemon who do have specific goals and act out on them despite having a trainer, such as Ash's Sceptile
  • Being an evil version isn't great justification for Smash. By that same logic, we should've gotten Waluigi or Dark Samus by now. Wario only got in because he developed his own identity outside of Mario.
  • I was actually mistaken here. Bulbapedia's article for Mimikyu under its history section only has 5 episodes covered. That being said, most of its appearances outside of those 5 episodes seem to be minor or cameos.
  • Mimikyu being a match for Pikachu is relevant if Game Freak were really going to rival route for Mimikyu. Who wants to watch a rivalry where one person consistently dominates the other?
  • Mimikyu's backstory as a totem pokemon is largely up to interpretation, there's no block of text confirming whether or not the pictures in its room mean anything at all. Likewise, Mimikyu's only totem appearance after the battle is in Ultra Sun/Moon, where the player can get it after 50 totem stickers.

Last edited:

Smartz

Smash Cadet
I just want to see and ape with a surf board beat the **** out of anyone else on that roster.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
There are very few times I will ever admit to not wanting a specific character in smash. Mimikyu is one of those. I find it's design and character to be really lame and off putting. Its not something I'd want to have to see moving around in smash at all.

Fortunately, I don't really see it getting in as playable, and I dont play with items on so I wouldn't see it if it got in as a pokeball either.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Inb4 they add Beastball as an item for the UBs and it still has a random chance for a Goldeen.

I see like half the arguments people attach to Mimikyu and think the exact same about Nihilego. The "wierd body" and "lack of moveset" arguments specifically. I had another but it vanished as I was typing this.
Independent of Nihilego's chances, there is no unconfirmed thing about this game that I'm more sure of than that they'll use Beastballs. There's no way they wouldn't promote the game that way since they go out of their way to update Pokeballs already.
  • Mimikyu has a motivation yes, but its never reflected in the actual show. Sure it hates Pikachu, but it never does anything special out of its hatred. Compare with Pokemon who do have specific goals and act out on them despite having a trainer, such as Ash's Sceptile
  • Being an evil version isn't great justification for Smash. By that same logic, we should've gotten Waluigi or Dark Samus by now. Wario only got in because he developed his own identity outside of Mario.
  • I was actually mistaken here. Bulbapedia's article for Mimikyu under its history section only has 5 episodes covered. That being said, most of its appearances outside of those 5 episodes seem to be minor or cameos.
  • Mimikyu being a match for Pikachu is relevant if Game Freak were really going to rival route for Mimikyu. Who wants to watch a rivalry where one person consistently dominates the other?
  • Mimikyu's backstory as a totem pokemon is largely up to interpretation, there's no block of text confirming whether or not the pictures in its room mean anything at all. Likewise, Mimikyu's only totem appearance after the battle is in Ultra Sun/Moon, where the player can get it after 50 totem stickers.
I find this characterization of Mimikyu (from that conversation in general) kind of strange. It's creepy, but it's also really dopey and it being a failed PR parasite is as much of its character as being a failed rival. There's a reason that it's part Fairy type, it's a little bit whimsical along with the sinister Ghost part.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I thought Marth and Roy were kept in the English version because they got popular from their games being in magazines or their appearance in Smash being in magazines or something.
I'm not sure about that since I haven't seen any official source on that yet.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Mimikyu's main issue is not its popularity but whether Nintendo sees him more fit as a playable character or a Pokeball Pokemon.

This also goes for pretty much every Pokemon that is popular within the community or the anime. Their popularity could just be implemented into a Pokéball and it's pretty likely that many popular choices will be.

Remember we have characters like Eevee, Meowth and even Zoroark that are (or were before Smash 4) arguably more popular and iconic than most Pokemon we request for Smash Switch. And they aren't playable.

What I'm saying is be ready for disappointment.

:kirby:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Mimikyu's main issue is not its popularity but whether Nintendo sees him more fit as a playable character or a Pokeball Pokemon.

This also goes for pretty much every Pokemon that is popular within the community or the anime. Their popularity could just be implemented into a Pokéball and it's pretty likely that many popular choices will be.

Remember we have characters like Eevee, Meowth and even Zoroark that are (or were before Smash 4) arguably more popular and iconic than most Pokemon we request for Smash Switch. And they aren't playable.

All of us are going to be disappointed one way or the other.

I'm glad someone made an argument against Mimikyu I can actually agree with. The Pokeball thing would be sad but its also pretty likely. I'd call it a 50/50 before factoring other potential choices in Sakurai's head....which ain't lookin' great. If it happens, oh well. At least Mimikyu will never be Daisy. :grin:

Troykv

Smash Master
Why people talk about FE when I'm doing homework? I also wanted to participate... oh well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm at a loss for words. I honestly can't believe people are entertaining the idea of a game console as if it's even comparable to R.O.B. or Duck Hunt. This is very disappointing.

Anyway, the only character that fits this legacy role, from what I can come up with, is Sheriff, because he is the oldest Nintendo character as well as the oldest of all the characters that are in or will be added in Super Smash Bros.

His game wasn't successful like Duck Hunt or Mr. Game & Watch, but he's definitely a hardware rep and a historically significant game/character for Nintendo. The ability to shoot in eight directions using tilt attacks or the B button is a unique ability and the game has a lot of source material.

Sheriff himself as a character can make use of his eight directional pistol, Condor The Vulture, the barriers he can hide behind, deploying 8-bit sprites of bandits, and a lasso for grabbing.

The stage itself (which would be the game inside of an arcade cabinet or the original table) can work similarly to the famous custom stage "The Box", where it's impossible to KO an opponent until the dots are broken open.

The stage would be similar to Pac-Maze and the Bandits can enter the stage and attack you until they are destroyed.
I'm glad you brought him up. I actually just finished a moveset for him, if you're interested in reading it.
The Sheriff, Mr. Jack, Moveset:

Archetype: Gunslinger and Terrain Modifier (Sort of like Pac-Man, but more aggressive about keeping control of the stage and less defensive.)

Mr. Jack is a projectile-focused fighter who sends a barrage of bullets (and objects) at opponents, doing damage from a distance. He has a lot of moves that help him get out of tight spots when opponents get too close, and he’s not above hiding behind objects to dodge hits. His strategy is to do as much damage as possible from far away while avoiding the opponent’s hits.​

His moves are flexible, allowing him to hit opponents from nearly every angle. This harkens back to his arcade game, in which he aims in eight directions. The Sheriff is a character that’s hard to master, but rewarding to those who do.

Properties

Weight: Light, about 85 (Near Zelda)​
Air Mobility: 1.12 (Near Mr. Game and Watch)
Fall Speed: 1.5 (Near Mario)
Jump Height: About 34 (Near Donkey Kong or Duck Hunt)
Walking Speed: .95 (Near Captain Falcon)
Running Speed: 1.5 (Near Luigi)

Neutral B: Quick Draw

This move can be used in two ways. If the B button is simply pressed, Mr. Jack fires a shot in the direction he was facing.​

However, when the B button is held, he readies his hand to grab his pistol, and continues walking, moving, or crouching if he was doing so. This mechanic is similar to Mega Man’s jab and forward tilt, and echoes Sheriff’s home game, in which he can simultaneously move and aim.

The player then holds one of eight directions before releasing B to fire. The move is decently powerful, but does more damage than it does knockback. This move is one that Jack is meant to use often, and the player will quickly become accustomed to doing all the actions for the move in quick succession. Up to three bullets may be on the screen at once.

Side B: Mad Dash

Due to the mechanics of Quick Draw, this move must be activated like a Smash attack by pressing B and left or right simultaneously. (Think Samus’ power missile.) The move is canceled by double jumping, shielding, or using Up-B.​

Sheriff Jack whistles and summons his trusty horse in a puff of smoke and jumps aboard, leaving dust in his wake. If the horse hits an opponent head on, the opponent is knocked upward (dealing a moderate amount of damage and knockback) and the horse slows somewhat. Additionally, the player can leap from the ground while on the horse (double jumping will cause the Sheriff to dismount), grounding any opponent unfortunate enough to be caught underneath them. Additionally, any opponent who is hit by the initial smoke cloud or by the dust as the horse gallops will trip.

This move gives Jack added horizontal movement speed while providing options to escape from an opponent, but is predictable if used as a form of attack. It isn’t particularly useful at racking damage, but it is good to use in a tight spot when Jack’s opponent is too close. Additionally, the Sheriff can use Quick Draw while on the horse, though he cannot aim down.

This move cannot be activated in the air.

Down B: Run for Cover! (Taken from cabinet artwork.)

Due to the mechanics of Quick Draw, this move must be activated like a Smash attack by pressing B and down at the same time.​

This move summons one of three types of cover for him to hide behind – an oil barrel, a crate, or a fence (in that order.) These objects cannot be removed once they are placed down, but can be destroyed by attacks. Each object has a number on it, indicating the number of hits it can take before being destroyed. Only one of the objects may be out at a time, and Jack must wait a moment after an object is destroyed before he can place another one.

The oil barrel is the largest and most interesting of the objects. Capable of taking three non-projectile hits of any strength before breaking, the barrel is the sturdiest of the objects. However, being filled with oil makes it a bit temperamental.

If hit by a physical projectile (Quick Draw’s bullets included), the barrel loses one hit point and begins leaking oil onto the floor towards the source of the shot. This causes players who walk on it to slide around on the floor as if it were ice.

If the barrel is hit with fire or electricity, it will catch fire and – after a few seconds – explode (regardless of how many hit points it has remaining), causing significant damage to anyone close to it. The oil itself can also be lit on fire, and becomes a stage hazard until it runs dry or despawns. Any oil spilled by the barrel will disappear once the barrel is gone.

The crate is the second sturdiest of the objects, but is more reliable than the barrel. It’s capable of taking two non-projectile hits before breaking, and takes no damage from projectiles.

Unlike the barrel, the crate can be slid from side to side by physical attacks. If knocked off an edge, the barrel falls directly down, doing a significant amount of knockback to anyone who is hit.

The final object, the fence, is a pretty brittle barrier, but still absorbs one hit of any kind before breaking apart.

Up B: Call of the Condor
When this move is activated, a condor comes quickly onto the scene and Jack graps hold of its talons, being carried up. The Condor can be moved in any of eight directions, and Jack goes along with him until the bird disappears or he cancels the move (which can be done by air dodging.)

The Condor functions similarly to the Sheriff in his arcade game, being moved in any direction at a fixed speed when a direction is pressed. The move is extremely responsive, letting you change direction at any point during the move’s duration. However, it is relatively slow and doesn’t have a hitbox, meaning it’s really easy for an opponent to hit the Condor, sending it spiraling into the ground and leaving Sheriff helpless.

Quick Draw can also be used by the Sheriff when he’s riding the Condor. This move is useful for him to aim at opponents in the air.

Jab:
Just a simple right hook to knock opponents away. It’s similar in function to Ganondorf’s jab.​

Side Tilt:
Jack throws a wagon wheel at a low arch in front of him. This move can be angled diagonally upward or downward to alter the angle of the throw. If the wheel hits anything while it’s in the air, it bounces off of it and heads in the opposite direction.​

When it hits the ground, though, it really starts rolling along, doing damage to anyone it hits, including Jack. It’ll bounce off of things on the ground like Pac-Man’s fire hydrant or Jack’s own objects from his down special, but it can’t be knocked back into the air once it’s on the ground, so get out of its way or shield if it’s already rolling.

This move is an important part of his kit, and helps him to keep the field under his control, but it can easily be used against him. Only one wheel can be out at a given time, and it falls onto its side after about two seconds of rolling on the ground. It’ll stay out for a few seconds after this, but it doesn’t do anything except prevent Jack from using another one.

Down Tilt:
Mr. Jack kicks at the ground, getting some dust in the air. It doesn’t do much damage, but the cloud has a high chance of tripping the opponent.​

Up Tilt:
Mr. Jack looks up and swats at the air above him like there’s a fly in his face, slightly knocking opponents up and away. It combos into itself a few times at low percent, but it doesn’t have a very large hitbox.​

Forward Aerial:
Jack kicks forward, knocking his opponent away a fair distance. This move doesn’t kill, but does okay damage and has a large hitbox. This move can be angled up and down.​

Back Aerial:
Jack kicks backward with his boot spurs, doing a lot of damage and knockback…but only in a really small area. It’s not terribly reliable. It can be angled diagonally, though.​

Up Aerial:
Jack takes his hat off his head and swings it wildly. It does only a little damage, but it combos into itself at low percent.​

Down Aerial:
The Sheriff does a stomp in front of him. It’s a solid meteor smash, but it’s a little slow to start up.​

Dash Attack:
Mr. Jack smacks the opponent with the grip of his pistol. This move does decent knockback and good damage, though it has a lot of endlag if you miss.​

Smash Attacks:
Uniquely, all of Mr. Jack’s smash attacks are the same conceptually – explosive gunshots. The trick with the Smash attacks is that they’re possible to angle in eight directions, just like Quick Draw.​

They have a similar range to Duck Hunt’s forward smash, and they’re Jack’s primary way to kill, but they’re most effective up close. This contrasts with the rest of the Sheriff’s moveset because it forces Jack to get on the offensive to do the killing.

This prevents Jack from becoming too defensive, as he’s forced to get in close to get in the final blow.

Grab:
Jack throws a lasso out at his opponents. It acts almost like a tether grab, but it’s honestly a little less reliable than that.​

Forward Throw:
The Sheriff swings the rope at his torso level with the opponent in it before letting them loose. This move kills at about 110 from the ledge.​

Back Throw:
Jack does a loop above his head before letting the opponent fly out behind him. This move also kills, but at about 120.​

Up Throw:
Tosses the opponent upward and follows up with a gunshot. This does a fair amount of damage, but doesn’t kill.​

Down Throw:
Mr. Jack lifts the opponent off of the ground and swings them into the ground. It looks like it hurts.​

Taunts:
Up Taunt – Mr. Jack tips his hat and does a little nod.​
Side Taunt – Jack pulls out his gun and twirls it before putting it back in his holster.
Down Taunt – Sheriff puts his thumbs in his jean pockets and whistles the first few notes from the music in his game, tapping in rhythm.

Image References:

I hope you enjoy that. It took a fair amount. @BluePikmin11 You'd probably enjoy this too.

I thought of him but i think of sheriff more as just a retro character, little mac is originally from the double screen arcade machine technically but he's more reping the game series "Punch-Out!!"...

though I suppose you could say Wii Fit Trainer represents the game more than the balance board itself too. matters how you look at it i guess, sheriff could fill that spot and represent his arcade cabinet but then little mac could also be a retro/hardware/wtf rep if you think of it that way. Does R.O.B. represent gyromite or the robot toy itself? does duck hunt represent the game duck hunt or the zapper? its all kind of a gray area with some characters.
I think it's not particularly useful to consider historical characters as being "hardware" characters, honestly.

Mr. Game and Watch: Represents the first huge success of Nintendo, cementing their place in the industry and in the handheld market particularly.

R.O.B.: Literally saved the western video game industry by allowing Nintendo to market the NES as a toy.

Duck Hunt: Represents the Light Gun Series, which was Nintendo's first foray into innovative and immersive hardware design for video games. It made the NES more than just a machine to run games. Also one of the best selling video games of all time and from a franchise that has technically existed in toy form before the NES even released. Notably, some of the biggest names in Nintendo's history worked on Light Gun technology. To quote myself:
The Duck Hunt "franchise" first saw a Nintendo release in 1976...as a toy. And it's not the first of the games they made featuring a light gun. Nintendo's first series of light gun toys were released as early as 1970 (potentially the first commercial Light Guns ever sold). I only bring it up because I think Duck Hunt is a representation of more than just the Famicom Light Gun series of games - he's a representative of the pre-Famicom era too.

The Light Gun toys were made by a number of people who moved on to become some of Nintendo's biggest names, like Masayuki Uemura (Nintendo R&D2 Director until 2004), Takehiro Izushi (former Nintendo R&D1 Director, retired this year), and Gunpei Yukoi himself. These toys became a benchmark for the company and helped to shape its very philosophy - a focus on reconsidering norms of one's field and, in particular, on innovative hardware designs. Everything from R.O.B. and the Power Glove to the DS, Wii, and Switch has stemmed from this point in Nintendo's history.
Sheriff represents a similar milestone in Nintendo's personal history - it's devotion to creating unique, endearing characters in new gameplay scenarios. Sheriff Jack was Shigeru Miyamoto's first original video game character, and the design of the cabinet was all his. The eight-way control for the gun and the dual-stick controls were a fairly new concept at the time, and it may have influenced Nintendo's desire for dual-sticks in later controllers.

Little Mac, on the other hand, is definitively just a retro, as his arcade game is one of many Nintendo was making in that period, alongside more popular games like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros., but it became a phenomenon in the West during the NES period. He had grown extremely obscure in Japan, however, and he was added for similar reasons to Pit in Brawl.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
All of us are going to be disappointed one way or the other.
This thread seriously opened my eyes to how incredibly ****ing lucky I got in Smash 4. All I wanted was Shulk and Lucina, and I got that plus Robin, Corrin, Palutena, Rosalina, Greninja, Villager, Cloud, Roy coming back, Dark Pit and Duck Hunt all for the price of ICs and Wolf. Little Mac, Mega Man, Pac Man and Bayonetta turned out to be pleasant surprises. I was afraid of Pac Man because of Ghostly Adventures, but he turned out amazing. The fact that Sakurai would've dropped Pac Man if he had to use that monstrosity was incredible.
Downside to this is that I'm just not as hyped for Smash Switch.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Why are all Kirby characters so cool?

Daroach for Smash... after Dee... and Magolor.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

• Eevee and Meowth were way less popular than Pikachu & Mewtwo and Jigglypuff and Pichu were added because they could be easily built off Kirby and Pikachu, so that's why they didn't get in.
  • Zoroark is Gen 5, where as the latest Generation was six, so that's why he didn't get in.
So what's preventing Mimikyu from getting in? A baseless assumption that "Nintendo" wants him to be a Pokeball? I mean, yeah, it's possible, and we should prepare for disappointment, but if they pass on Mimikyu as the Gen 7 star, they're out of their ****ing minds. But, I always prepare myself.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
We are discussing retro characters again?

Well, I supported Duck Hunt Dog as the NES Zapper rep for 12 years and finally got him in SSB4. Now I’m supporting Track Meet, the nameless track and field athlete from the NES game World Class Track Meet, as the NES Power Pad rep. This game was bundled with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. It would be cool to see Track Meet reunite with them in Smash. :4mario::4duckhunt:

He could be a speedy character with good jumps. This is based on the fact he is a runner and that he competes in jumping events like 110m Hurdles, Long Jump, and Triple Jump. He could even have a triple jump instead of a double jump. His specials could involve the other NES Power Pad game Short Order + Eggsplode.

One special move could have him summon giant burgers to drop from the sky to bury opponents. It could remind you of the arcade game BurgerTime. Another special move could have him place a giant bomb under an opponent (they must tap buttons to get off the bomb). A special move based on World Class Track Meet could involve hurdles. Hurdles could act as barriers that deflect projectiles and force opponents to jump over (they can’t run through it or they will trip). The NES Power Pad itself could act as a flying carpet for his recovery (Up+B).
While I guess I understand the appeal, World Class Track Meet isn't owned by Nintendo. It was owned by Human Entertainment, which went bankrupt in 2000.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm still mystified by Lyn's sudden popularity. I could've sworn FE7 was never that popular five or six years ago, and even when Awakening released, she still wasn't as popular as she is now. Her sudden burst of popularity might be a bit too late.

Back in Brawl, she was my most wanted, but now there's just many more possible and interesting FE characters , like Micaiah or Celica (now in the spotlight).
Oh hello! I'm always happy to found people that would like to see Micaiah in Smash <3

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I see like half the arguments people attach to Mimikyu and think the exact same about Nihilego. The "wierd body" and "lack of moveset" arguments specifically. I had another but it vanished as I was typing this.
Nihilego and Mimikyu tag team when?

When can we get a Dark Matter Blade Star Allies DLC boss battle just so everyone can see how immensely cool Dark Matter is and immediately be won over him?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
This video is what sparked my support for Track Meet for Smash back in May 2015.

All these products made by Nintendo... and they included one from Bandai? :confused:
The video was directed by the Mega64 guys. It was their decision to include the Track Meet section, and Reggie was down for it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
This thread seriously opened my eyes to how incredibly ****ing lucky I got in Smash 4. All I wanted was Shulk and Lucina, and I got that plus Robin, Corrin, Palutena, Rosalina, Greninja, Villager, Cloud, Roy coming back, Dark Pit and Duck Hunt all for the price of ICs and Wolf. Little Mac, Mega Man, Pac Man and Bayonetta turned out to be pleasant surprises. I was afraid of Pac Man because of Ghostly Adventures, but he turned out amazing. The fact that Sakurai would've dropped Pac Man if he had to use that monstrosity was incredible.
I can relate. I mainly wanted Pac-Man and Chrom (TT_TT) and got Pac plus a plethora of awesome chars I never thought would get in. I’m not kidding when I say that I BAWLED when pac was announced lol (I bawled when chrom was unceremoniously deconfirmed as well but those were a different breed of tears...)

Then I got into the competitive scene and realized that Pac-Man didn’t fit my playstyle all that much and his flaws were...frustrating to say the very least, so I ended up pretty lost for the second half of smash 4’s life before the smash switch announcement :crying:.

For smash switch I’m hoping we get Crash and/or some more Kirby reps, otherwise I won’t be as excited for the roster as I was back in smash 4.

When can we get a Dark Matter Blade Star Allies DLC boss battle just so everyone can see how immensely cool Dark Matter is and immediately be won over him?
Funny you mention that :p (check my new avi boiiii)

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Daroach is actually my favorite Kirby villain and I've wanted him since pre-Brawl. Too bad he'd never happen in Smash.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I think the big thing about Pokemon is that Sakurai doesn't necessarily have full say in what Pokemon he can pick. From my understanding, The Pokemon Company can be harder to work with than some of the third-party characters when it comes to putting Pokemon in Smash, because they're just that protective of the IP, even when it comes to franchises like Smash.
Well...not quite. I can't seem to find the exact article, but Sakurai has said TPC does give his team a pretty long leash. What seems to happen is that TPC sends them concept art, design notes, and everything they'd need to know for a handful of prominent mons in that generation, and then Sakurai and the Smash devs put character concepts together from there and debate on who would be the most compelling choice.

TPC wouldn't force something on him or demand he include a character due to popularity, or the like. These collaborations seem to be a lot less hostile and more mutually understanding than we give them credit for most of the time.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Kirby just needs his own fighting game. Seriously.

So many of the characters are awesome in that series.

It and Mario could like Pokemon sustain it's own fighting game.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I got very little of what I wanted (I got 1 newcomer I wanted, he was near the bottom of my top 30 most wanted but I cherish his presence anyway (:4duckhunt:), the one character I was most against getting in ( This guy -->:4corrin:/:4corrinf:) got in and my main got the unlucky lottery ticket of being ignored by the dev team forever) so rest assured, if you hate any of the characters on my signature, rejoice! My luck is the worst and they'll never get in. :p

Funny you mention that :p (check my new avi boiiii)
That avatar is awesome, I love it!
Kirby just needs his own fighting game. Seriously.

So many of the characters are awesome in that series.

It and Mario could like Pokemon sustain it's own fighting game.
Yeah seriously, and especially Pokemon, I've always wondered why The Pokemon Company/Game Freak doesn't just hire some more teams so they can have people working away on appealing spin-off ideas like that and cash in on it, it's not like they don't have the money to do it. Pokemon has so much recognition and power behind it's brand, if they made a Smash-alike game I think it legitimately could outsell the real thing lol.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Star Allies was rather lackluster in my opinion, nothing that interesting or new was added to it (aside from the final boss and all these new playable characters), so I hope the next mainline Kirby game changes up the formula quite a bit.

Or they could just make Airide 2; I'd be ok with that.

Luminario

Smash Lord
You seem to be awfully against even the concept of Mimikyu as a fighter.
  • Mimikyu's jealousy of Pikachu has it immediately attack Pikachu as soon as it sees it. It's very clearly reflected in the show when Mimikyu's eyes shine and it's Mimikyu's specific goal to straight up murder Pikachu.
  • Yes, it's the Wario to Pokemon's Mario, so not only does it have popularity it'll also likely keep that popularity even when Gen 8 rolls around. They perfectly created the shadow to Pikachu, and I don't think they're going to let go of it anytime soon.
  • Don't really know why that's bad. It's had multiple episodes that focus on it and usually appears most episodes. It's a Team Rocket Pokemon, it's not gonna get the spotlight 24/7.
  • Mimikyu is a match for Pikachu, it's usually Bewear that stops the fighting. The only time I can remember that Pikachu straight up KOs Mimikyu is in the most recent episode after a very heavy battle where Mimikyu uses it's unique Z move.
  • It's one of the few Trial Pokemon in the game. It doesn't do much for it's chances at Smash but it means it's more noticeable that your average Alolan Pokemon.
You may be right in that it might not have been slated to be one of the highest pushed Pokemon before it's debut, but it's pretty clear that quickly changed not long after it was revealed. Mimikyu could be overlooked for Lycanroc or one of the starters due to not being a high profile character during it's reveal, but it might not have been either, we have no way of telling until the Pokemon newcomer is revealed.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
How dare you assault me with this?

I said a fighting game.

Not an afterthought.
I think they should make a sequel to Kirby Fighters / Deluxe using the Star Allies engine. Not only would the engine, model, and animation reuse make it relatively low effort to make, but it being based on Star Allies would mean that it would have a varied roster instead of being Kirby clones only.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why people talk about FE when I'm doing homework? I also wanted to participate... oh well.
Ya missed out on some well done Lyn and Celica discussions (aka the most deserving of the FE squad)

Dixie Kong and King K. Rool would satisfy the Donkey Kong Country fanbase.
I won’t be satisfied until Eddie the Yeti officially joins Smash

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
They had an opportunity with Kirby Battle Royale, but 95% of the characters are Kirby.
Lol, remember when we all knew nothing about "the Kirby fighting game" except that it was going to happen and people thought the game was going to be like Kirby Fighters but with a bunch of characters? Those were good times.

Or they could just make Airide 2; I'd be ok with that.
There's a part of me deep down that's still mad about the Rosalina trailer leading off with Kirby racing and then having that go nowhere, no Kirby Air ride 2, no Kirby in Mario Kart, it was like a entire game got the Chrom treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom