• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace

I would love to elaborate few things about Marth and Roy today so here it goes!

Did you know that Marth was considered to become a playable character in Smash 64, along with Dedede, Mewtwo and Bowser? Originally Sakurai had a plan for Marth become playable character but he got scrapped due to time constraints but he eventually become a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Marth almost got his home stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee but I would imagine that it was due to lack of time that they wouldn't able to finish the stage before the deadline so it got cut. The stage would be based on Kingdom of Akaneia.

Nintendo of America had to beg them to not cut Roy out of the game for English version and told them that it's fun to use him in the game. They went with it and somehow Roy has become extremely popular with Smash fans, and he's our boy!

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

As we found out that Marth is 19th most voted veteran today, so it's reasonable to elaborate few things about Marth and Roy.

Did you know that Marth was considered to become a playable character in Smash 64, along with Dedede, Mewtwo and Bowser? Originally Sakurai had a plan for Marth become playable character but he got scrapped due to time constraints but he eventually become a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Marth almost got his home stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee but I would imagine that it was due to lack of time that they wouldn't able to finish the stage before the deadline so it got cut. The stage would be based on Kingdom of Akaneia.

Nintendo of America had to beg them to not cut Roy out of the game for English version and told them that it's fun to use him in the game. They went with it and somehow Roy has become extremely popular with Smash fans, and he's our boy!
19th most voted veteran? Was there a poll I wasn't aware of?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
How would Mimikyu actually be able to put up a fight with someone like Donkey Kong or hell even someone like Kirby. He’s 0.02m tall.

This is like asking how Pichu can go up against Ganondorf and Mewtwo.

Is there some sort of like form where he grows legs or something?
You should research before you doubt.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

As we found out that Marth is 19th most voted veteran today, so it's reasonable to elaborate few things about Marth and Roy.

Honestly I'd love to see the fully realized Archanea stage come to fruition (unless Castle Seige was supposed to be it, despite not having any indication it takes place in Archanea).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Wait, what if for the classic rep of this game, they do something like with ROB and they make the Virtual Boy playable?
R.O.B. is a character.

The Virtual Boy is a game console. A pathetically unsuccessful one. Where in the holy hell did your mind get the idea that R.O.B. and the Virtual Boy are comparable? Where did you get the idea to make a game console playable, specifically the least successful game console of Nintendo's history?

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
R.O.B. is a character.

The Virtual Boy is a game console. A pathetically unsuccessful one. Where in the holy hell did your mind get the idea that R.O.B. and the Virtual Boy are comparable? Where did you get the idea to make a game console playable, specifically the least successful game console of Nintendo's history?
Because ROB was also a disaster that barely worked and the virtual boy has became a meme of how awful it was, to the point that even nintendo memed the virtual boy:

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because ROB was also a disaster that barely worked and the virtual boy has became a meme of how awful it was, to the point that even nintendo memed the virtual boy:
R.O.B. was extremely successful and he was a CHARACTER. The Virtual Boy was unsuccessful and a GAME CONSOLE. That reference is not the equivalent of a meme.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Roy is super **** to play competitively in Melee (and not in Smash 4. He's way better than before)
But god, if that 6 year old me wasn't ****ing Hyped to play the guy with Fire.
Also, Roy and Marth team battle is probably the most fun I've ever had in competitive Double.
Or just Roy in Free for All. God damn man that F-smash or N-B is the most pleasant move to use In-game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, 1200 pages now.

Is there an upper limit to page numbers and how close are we to hitting it if it exists?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
mimikyu i find difficult to actually picture in smash as a playable character and thus i feel like sakurais requirement where, i think he put it the characters has to "dance uniquely" in his mind or something, might have been a bad translation but i think the point comes across that sakurai has to really feel the movement and style of the character from a programmers perspective in order to add them. basically i find it tough to see mimikyu jumping around and flying through the air etc... it might not "fit" his rag doll creepy personality (admittedly i only know mimikyu from playing sun and moon a bit so maybe the character works for these things in the anime i dont know). So I could see sakurai making him an pokeball chaarcter cause he can retain his style well there, where as him running around being hit off the stage etc... might not really "feel" like mimikyu.

Now I'll counter my own point with the fact that if he could be implemented he would be pretty unique movement and style wise, his half falling over head and scurrying run animation might make him far more interesting than some other pokemon in a "how he feels to play" kind of way. other pokemon might just feel like any other character walking around and attacking while mimikyu would certainly not feel like anyone else on the roster. That said though im still thinking hes better suited to a pokeball as that style i think comes off better if he doesnt move much and is a creepy fake pikachu thing that wants love but when hes hit lashes out with that shadow hand or whatever, just seems like sakurai would find him better suited for that.

D

Deleted member

The Virtual Boy could totally work. :V

I mean, just look at the commercial. :troll:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Rob was an accesory for the NES, not a character:

And it barely worked, it got popular, but that didn't mean it was good.
Oh, my god. I'm like an inch of saying something to you that I'll regret.

This is like saying Mario is a code or data in a video game and not a character. This is like saying Mr. Potato Head isn't a character because he's a toy! You're about to drive me up the wall.

And did you really feel a picture was necessary to demonstrate your "point"? Like I don't know what ROB is?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Roy is super **** to play competitively in Melee (and not in Smash 4. He's way better than before)
But god, if that 6 year old me wasn't ****ing Hyped to play the guy with Fire.
Also, Roy and Marth team battle is probably the most fun I've ever had in competitive Double.
Or just Roy in Free for All. God damn man that F-smash or N-B is the most pleasant move to use In-game.
I would say Roy is probably ranked lower on the tier list than Melee Roy to counter him being better in Smash 4...but Pit is ranked lower and he’s better than he was in Brawl so **** that (also the letters keep messing me up

R.O.B. is a character.
Virtual Boy for Smash

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rob was an accesory for the NES, not a character:

And it barely worked, it got popular, but that didn't mean it was good.
R.O.B. is absolutely a character. That was the whole purpose behind its marketing: a cute-but-cool appealing robot that would act as a Trojan Horse to get the NES into American retail stores.

It was successful for what it set out to do. The Virtual Boy didn't. R.O.B. is remembered because it achieved its goal. The Virtual Boy is remembered because it failed its goal.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
mimikyu i find difficult to actually picture in smash as a playable character and thus i feel like sakurais requirement where, i think he put it the characters has to "dance uniquely" in his mind or something, might have been a bad translation but i think the point comes across that sakurai has to really feel the movement and style of the character from a programmers perspective in order to add them. basically i find it tough to see mimikyu jumping around and flying through the air etc... it might not "fit" his rag doll creepy personality (admittedly i only know mimikyu from playing sun and moon a bit so maybe the character works for these things in the anime i dont know). So I could see sakurai making him an pokeball chaarcter cause he can retain his style well there, where as him running around being hit off the stage etc... might not really "feel" like mimikyu.

Now I'll counter my own point with the fact that if he could be implemented he would be pretty unique movement and style wise, his half falling over head and scurrying run animation might make him far more interesting than some other pokemon in a "how he feels to play" kind of way. other pokemon might just feel like any other character walking around and attacking while mimikyu would certainly not feel like anyone else on the roster. That said though im still thinking hes better suited to a pokeball as that style i think comes off better if he doesnt move much and is a creepy fake pikachu thing that wants love but when hes hit lashes out with that shadow hand or whatever, just seems like sakurai would find him better suited for that.
Incredulity and lack of imagination is not an argument. Just watch Mimikyu fight in the anime. He jumps around and gets knocked back just like in Super Smash Brothers.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Oh, my god. I'm like an inch of saying something to you that I'll regret.

This is like saying Mario is a code or data in a video game and not a character. This is like saying Mr. Potato Head isn't a character because he's a toy! You're about to drive me up the wall.
Then stop taking everything so serious.
Duck hunt represents the zapper toy.
ROB represents himself.
Mr. Game and Watch represents the "game and watch" portable consoles.
They all represents toys and weird stuff that nintendo tried.
I don't know how a way to represent the stupid virtual boy is making you feel so bad, but if you really are feeling bad then I stop, I don't even want it, it was just an idea!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Seriously how would the virtual boy even move? It doesn't have limbs, how would it attack? and unlike rob it's not a character, let's make the gameboy character while we're at it lmao

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I've never been able to say "Everybody who thinks this only says it because of this", but literally everyone who claims they can't see Mimikyu working on this website, from what I've seen so far, has admitted they know literally nothing about him and have never played his game or seen the Sun & Moon anime.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Seriously how would the virtual boy even move? It doesn't have limbs, how would it attack? and unlike rob it's not a character, let's make the gameboy character while we're at it lmao
Easy, it fuses with robs and now everytime you play as him you see everything in awful red and black and is literally unplayable.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Virtual Boy would be a sweet retro/wtf/hardware rep, though maybe too similar to R.O.B. and I think that commercial where it has legs and is a menacing robot thing was only in america so the idea might not hit sakurai to portray the system that way. It did have the first real instance of mario tennis on it and with aces coming out... could be a good time to reference the VB.

Always hard to guess the retro/WTF/hardware rep... game and watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and duck hunt were all surprising characters with only duck hunt really having anyone online pushing for it (though i think most didnt think itd actually happen, me among them, glad it did though).

This time people are far more keen on trying to figure out what we'll have sakurai throw at us but theres far less to choose from I think the possibilities are Virtual Boy, Diskun, Hanafuda cards/daitouryou, Labo man/Labo Robot, Gameboy... am i forgetting any? Seems like we dont have many left as some are just "make the console alive as a character", labo might be way to new, and the hanafuda cards might not be "vdieo game" enough for sakurai to include. Its always a tough one to guess at and even now when we expect it, its still tough to predict.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
To be fair to the Virtual Boy, it comes on a stand that would work as legs, and it has a wired controller that it could use as an arm... not that it would be an especially good pick since, as aforementioned, it isn't a character at all, but it has at least some reasonable-ish articulation already.
It's already kind of represented by R.O.B.'s red palette, anyway (plus it appears in the background of GAMER.)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Virtual Boy would be a sweet retro/wtf/hardware rep, though maybe too similar to R.O.B. and I think that commercial where it has legs and is a menacing robot thing was only in america so the idea might not hit sakurai to portray the system that way. It did have the first real instance of mario tennis on it and with aces coming out... could be a good time to reference the VB.

Always hard to guess the retro/WTF/hardware rep... game and watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and duck hunt were all surprising characters with only duck hunt really having anyone online pushing for it (though i think most didnt think itd actually happen, me among them, glad it did though).

This time people are far more keen on trying to figure out what we'll have sakurai throw at us but theres far less to choose from I think the possibilities are Virtual Boy, Diskun, Hanafuda cards/daitouryou, Labo man/Labo Robot, Gameboy... am i forgetting any? Seems like we dont have many left as some are just "make the console alive as a character", labo might be way to new, and the hanafuda cards might not be "vdieo game" enough for sakurai to include. Its always a tough one to guess at and even now when we expect it, its still tough to predict.
Don't forget Sheriff, Nintendo's first arcade character. He's also called Mr. Jack.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's important to remember.

Popularity and requests are completely different factors.

Both are super important, but they aren't equals.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I'm at a loss for words. I honestly can't believe people are entertaining the idea of a game console as if it's even comparable to R.O.B. or Duck Hunt. This is very disappointing.

Anyway, the only character that fits this legacy role, from what I can come up with, is Sheriff, because he is the oldest Nintendo character as well as the oldest of all the characters that are in or will be added in Super Smash Bros.

His game wasn't successful like Duck Hunt or Mr. Game & Watch, but he's definitely a hardware rep and a historically significant game/character for Nintendo. The ability to shoot in eight directions using tilt attacks or the B button is a unique ability and the game has a lot of source material.

Sheriff himself as a character can make use of his eight directional pistol, Condor The Vulture, the barriers he can hide behind, deploying 8-bit sprites of bandits, and a lasso for grabbing.

The stage itself (which would be the game inside of an arcade cabinet or the original table) can work similarly to the famous custom stage "The Box", where it's impossible to KO an opponent until the dots are broken open.

The stage would be similar to Pac-Maze and the Bandits can enter the stage and attack you until they are destroyed.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Don't forget Sheriff, Nintendo's first arcade character. He's also called Mr. Jack.
I thought of him but i think of sheriff more as just a retro character, little mac is originally from the double screen arcade machine technically but he's more reping the game series "Punch-Out!!"...

though I suppose you could say Wii Fit Trainer represents the game more than the balance board itself too. matters how you look at it i guess, sheriff could fill that spot and represent his arcade cabinet but then little mac could also be a retro/hardware/wtf rep if you think of it that way. Does R.O.B. represent gyromite or the robot toy itself? does duck hunt represent the game duck hunt or the zapper? its all kind of a gray area with some characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I would love to elaborate few things about Marth and Roy today so here it goes!

I thought Marth and Roy were kept in the English version because they got popular from their games being in magazines or their appearance in Smash being in magazines or something.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be surprised if Nihilego made the cut. It's one of the most plot-important mons of the Gen, of course being important in the anime, and represents a brand new kind of Pokemon.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I thought of him but i think of sheriff more as just a retro character, little mac is originally from the double screen arcade machine technically but he's more reping the game series "Punch-Out!!"...

though I suppose you could say Wii Fit Trainer represents the game more than the balance board itself too. matters how you look at it i guess, sheriff could fill that spot and represent his arcade cabinet but then little mac could also be a retro/hardware/wtf rep if you think of it that way. Does R.O.B. represent gyromite or the robot toy itself? does duck hunt represent the game duck hunt or the zapper? its all kind of a gray area with some characters.
Sheriff would be the only character who's game is exclusive to arcades. The same was true for Ice Climbers on NES at the time of Melee, and the same was true for Duck Hunt on NES before the Virtual Console release was announced shortly after his reveal. Maybe Sheriff will be added to Arcade Archives alongside his reveal. You could put it sideways on a table like the original.

And yes, I'm aware of Wario's Sheriff from WarioWare Inc.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be surprised if Nihilego made the cut. It's one of the most plot-important mons of the Gen, of course being important in the anime, and represents a brand new kind of Pokemon.
I could see this, people tend to bring up buzzwole when it comes to ultra beats but nihilego acts as more of a posterboy for them tbh. And a rock/poison tentacle monster would be crazy unique.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
All this retro talk makes me miss the Excitebike assist trophy

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Plot important is not really a deciding factor. I've never even heard of the character you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom