• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What about discussing Square Enix's Tomb Raider series and Lora Croft being playable in Smash?

It debuted in 1996.

You know what else debuted in 1996?

Capcom's Resident Evil, I'd love to see a playable Leon in Smash 5.

Did you know Resident Evil is known as Biohazard in Japan?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
What about discussing Square Enix's Tomb Raider series and Lora Croft being playable in Smash?

It debuted in 1996.

You know what else debuted in 1996?

Capcom's Resident Evil, I'd love to see a playable Leon in Smash 5.

Did you know Resident Evil is known as Biohazard in Japan?
Leon over daddy Chris? no thank you good sir

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Leon over daddy Chris? no thank you good sir
Yeah, Chris Redfield is a solid choice too.

I favour Leon because A) bias/ nostalgia.

and B) The CGI movies.

But Redfield's that OG.

tough choice.

Is palette swap a possibility?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't get why all these people want to object to it. She's a strong woman empowering herself with her sexuality rather than allowing a prudish patriarchal norm to oppress her self-expression.
She is a fictional character. She doesn't stand for anything. She was designed for weebish young men who are into that kind of thing.

Furthermore does she address her battle against masocistic (butchered that spelling no time to look it up) norms? I'm willing to bet no, because she was designed for young straight men.

Anything a fictional character "stands for" is merely what the creator's and author's wanted the character to stand for.

I'm not arguing right or wrong just what I've stated. I don't care about Pyra's clothes although in my opinion (which should mean nothing) they are distasteful.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yeah, that old Simon design is the one that looks more normal.

The new designs look like weird sadomasochist strippers (the fact that his weapon is a whip doesn't help hahaha).

What is this? lol

I would prefer hunting monsters in boxers than using that super unconfortable "armor".

About RE, I would prefer Jill or Leon.
Jill because she is iconic and Leon because RE4 is the only one I've played.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
We could discuss about how iconic, deserving, relevant, unique, important and round Bandana Dee is.
I think Mario's Goomba is more iconic as a trash mob in a Nintendo first party series and can't really see Kirby's trash mobs being added before Mario's.

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
I'm just kidding.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
And on top of that, no one is saying Pyra is a bad character just because her design is clearly meant to be more provocative. I really like Pyra as a character. There's nothing wrong with admitting that something is smexy purely for the sake of being smexy. We're all (mostly) adults and teens here.

It just... gets in the way a bit. Not to the extent that some people exaggerate it, I feel, but still.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
And on top of that, no one is saying Pyra is a bad character just because her design is clearly meant to be more provocative. I really like Pyra as a character. There's nothing wrong with admitting that something is smexy purely for the sake of being smexy. We're all (mostly) adults and teens here.

It just... gets in the way a bit. Not to the extent that some people exaggerate it, I feel, but still.
I don't like Pyra as a character all that much to begin with but her design just makes me like her even less tbh, I'm sick of designs like these, why'd monolithsoft have to go all weeby lmao

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't like Pyra as a character all that much to begin with but her design just makes me like her even less tbh, I'm sick of designs like these, why'd monolithsoft have to go all weeby lmao
Yes, you've made that quite clear by this point. :V

I'm just saying the design ALONE does not make her a bad character. If there are other reasons contributing to your dislike for her, that's fine, but a character is much more than just how they look.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't want to make this topic longer, but yeah, that's my main beef with her design. Apart from her head, her design tells very little about her except she's supposed to be sexy.

I don't have same problem with Bayonetta or Zero Suit Samus.

I also really like character designs in Xenoblade Chronicles, but more "anime" characters' faces can portray emotion much better so that's a plus.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Bayonetta and Cloud both got different costumes with a few color options for each, maybe Simon could be the same? give him his classic look and then whichever one's the fan favorite.

and i know indie characters are a heated debate but would other indie content be met with such controversy? i'd enjoy fighting to some toby fox music regardless of whether sans undertale himself gets in

...wow the conversation went way off in another direction since i started typing this. serves me right for getting distracted, huh

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Bayonetta and Cloud both got different costumes with a few color options for each, maybe Simon could be the same? give him his classic look and then whichever one's the fan favorite.

and i know indie characters are a heated debate but would other indie content be met with such controversy? i'd enjoy fighting to some toby fox music regardless of whether sans undertale himself gets in
I mean, we did get a Commander Video trophy. Other Indie representation isn't outside the realm of possibility.
But I really can't see it going beyond trophies, MAYBE an assist trophy.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yes, you've made that quite clear by this point. :V

I'm just saying the design ALONE does not make her a bad character. If there are other reasons contributing to your dislike for her, that's fine, but a character is much more than just how they look.
I mean true but I don't think not liking a characters design isn't a invalid factor into not liking a character/liking them less. A bad design can drag down an otherwise good character and makes a bad one even worse imo. Looks are still a massive part of every character.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace

...wow the conversation went way off in another direction since i started typing this. serves me right for getting distracted, huh
It was treated as a big deal that indies got so much as the Commander Video trophy, back when it was first revealed. As a result, I think the safest bet is probably just a few more of those for the big favorites, like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Quote, etc.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean true but I don't think not liking a characters design isn't a invalid factor into not liking a character. A bad design can drag down an otherwise good character and makes a bad one even worse imo.
...Which is exactly what I said in my own post.
:V

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
and i know indie characters are a heated debate but would other indie content be met with such controversy?
As someone who is an active detractor of the idea of playable indie characters, I wouldn't mind other sorts of indie content. Like, I wouldn't be mad in the slightest if we had Quote from Cave Story jump out of an Assist Trophy or a Shovel Knight stage. Smaller things like that are fine.

Staarih

Smash Master
All this Simon Belmont talk got me to research him and Castlevania a bit more (as my knowledge about them was awkwardly weak) and he definitely seems like a cool, unique character. I kinda knew about Castlevania being somewhat iconic from the NES era (the term "Metroidvania" doesn't come from nowhere), but the themes with vampires and Dracula and all that was all new information to me. Huh, I'm all in for Simon in Smash now.

And that's Smash speculation (and one single text leak) for ya.
Or I'm just weak

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's weird if I can see Simon Belmond get Roy'd?
What I mean by that is that, he would get a unique design only for Smash?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
...Which is exactly what I said in my own post.

:V
Welp my dumb ass missed your point nvm lol

It's weird if I can see Simon Belmond get Roy'd?
What I mean by that is that, he would get a unique design only for Smash?
Nah, if he's being added because he's an iconic character they kinda HAVE to use the iconic design

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Here's a list of companies that are Indie or can be considered Indie that I personally favour over many other commonly suggested indie characters.

Company: Grasshopper Manufacture
Series: No More Heroes
Character: Travis Touchdown
Notes: Suda51 has been vocal about wanting Travis in Smash.

Company: Level 5
Series: Professor Layton
Character: Professor Layton
Notes: Series on Nintendo platforms since 2007.

Company: Office Create
Series: Cooking Mama
Character: Mama
Notes: Series on Nintendo platforms since 2006.

Comany: Natsume
Series: Medarots
Character: Metabee
Notes: Series on Nintendo platforms since 1997. Also Harvest Moon is no longer what it originally was, it's now Rune Factory. So the legal disrepute causes me to believe Medarots is the more favoured series.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nah, if he's being added because he's an iconic character they kinda HAVE to use the iconic design
The problem with Belmond is that arguably the NES design is more iconic.
But All of his other incarnation are also fairly iconics too

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Nah, it's just the extreme lack of any official news driving us insane. Man, E3 surely will be a blast.
You said it. All this debate and insanity over a teaser less than a minute long...
It's gonna feel fantastic to finally get it all off our chest in a few weeks, I tell you what. Especially if we get an info dump!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'd say Simon would get his SNES barbarian look from Castlevania IV. At least a composite that borrows heavily from that design. (While I like the stripper design, that doesn't really scream Simon at me).

I picture him as a heavyweight in the range of Samus and Captain that relies on mid-range attacks and projectiles. His style of fighting is designed around "No Touchy" because he hunts vampires and other poisonous, virus infecting hell-beasts.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Development team probably don't have much freedom when it came to third parties. They couldn't even give most of them proper colour palettes.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Development team probably don't have much freedom when it came to third parties. They couldn't even give most of them proper colour palettes.
Ironically the Third-party with the less content got two Alt.
And the one with most Content is just shade of Blue.

D

Deleted member

If Simon were to make it, I hope we get Simon's Castlevania Chronicles look.

I know it's not everyone's favorite look for him, but I kinda dig the gothic asthetic he has going. Better than his horrendous Judgement design.
Meh, no thanks, i want the old school barbarian Simon Belmont:

The one you see here is specifically the one based on the Neca Figures design, which takes heavy inspiration from the Cover art of Castlevania 1 (which is drastically different from the instruction manual artwork, altough it is MUCH better i might add)

It helps that most Konami games of recent age have actually been pushing for this design such as Super Bomberman R and Grimoire of Souls.

It's interesing in the case of Grimoire of Souls because the artist for that game is Ayami Kojima, the same one behind the Chronicles design. It seems now they are pushing this deisng as the default appereance of Simon Belmont and is possible the Netflix series might use this one too if they want to keep consistency for the designs of the characters (which would be a monumental feat for the Castlevania series) regardless of artist.

and im honestly glad that they are fading Chronicles Simon away from the public, since i never liked it at all and the only reason i tolerate it and people (myself included) know about it is because they were heavily pushing it back in the 2000's (when Ayami Kojima was the ilustrator of almost every Castlevania game with a few exceptions here and there) and not to mention not a lot of people in particular care about Chronicles (really the only thing most people would know about is Simon Belmont's design) it's not that i dislike Ayami's artwork in gneneral, i love most of her artwork (and i would have prefered Trevor's design over to one we got for the Netflix show, but if i complained about the Netflix show i would be doing it all day) but Simon's design clearly looks like as if she tried to keep the barbaric style (because Simon is still a long-haired, tall muscular man with a sword on his belt just like the Classic Simon deisgn) and at the same time add gothic and bishonen (a common trope that she uses for almost every male protagonist the she designs to the point it gets tiresome) aesthetics on top of it, and it just looks wrong.

Hell i actually like Ayami's interpretation of the Classic Barbaric Simon design better than the Neca figures one, which makes me wonder why she even bothered to do this unnecessary Chronicles redesign when she was perfectly capable of drawing the former.

Although i do prefer his design from Castlevania for the Sharp X68000, which is my favorite by far, but i know the Neca figures-cover art inspired Simon Belmont is the most likely if we go by Simon's recent portrayals (and im not that bothered because both of them are similar)

Also, anything is better than Judgement's character designs. You have to go out of your way to make something worse than Judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'd say Simon would get his SNES barbarian look from Castlevania IV. At least a composite that borrows heavily from that design. (While I like the stripper design, that doesn't really scream Simon at me).

I picture him as a heavyweight in the range of Samus and Captain that relies on mid-range attacks and projectiles. His style of fighting is designed around "No Touchy" because he hunts vampires and other poisonous, virus infecting hell-beasts.
yeah I'm picturing conan the barbarian with more leather honestly

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Thiiiiissss. It reminds me of Ares design from Fire Emblem GHW
But we want Simon to look like Castlevania, not Fire Emblem, right? I agree with the people hoping for the barbarian look. The vampire look is obviously cool, but I just think the Barbarian look would stand out more and be more unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom