• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'd say at this point, it's Simon, Rayman, Bomberman, and possibly Crash who could end up being the mega third parties at this point for Smash. I'll honestly be surprised if all of them end up hitting this roster but it's looking more of at least 2 of them making it

At this point, if the account is deleted, it's starting to look a bit true...or he deleted the account on purpose to troll us.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Now... Should I wait to play the xbc1 to play xbc2? And should I wait for Nintendo to release the first game on the switch? I'm totally not buying it for the wiiu
You will enjoy 2 much, much more if you play 1 first, or at least watch a Let's Play/walkthrough.

Regarding the leaks... Simon is one of the best third parties I've seen suggested. He's iconic, super relevant to Nintendo and has interesting potential. Curious to what design they would use.

:^)

Though I would prefer Soma, his moveset potential is great + the whole reincarnation of Dracula thing.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Text leaks aren't really credible 99% of the time.
Statistics are made up 69.12% of the time.

So if Ice Climbers and Wolf return, what are the possibilities that either of them could have a few moves tweaked?
Pretty good. Wolf would probably recieve more than the Icies to further differentiate him from Fox and Falco.

I would bet they would at least get some QoL changes to make them less bad. Icies are gonna need something to balance out the loss of wobbling.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It makes me happy to hear people say they like the idea of Simon in Smash. I don’t necessarily believe the leak yet but I’m glad to see Simon getting support nonetheless.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Argue all you want that Ganondorf made sense as a clone practically, but saying it fits with his character is just silly. I think deep down you know that. So what if he looks like he's punching link in a piece of promotional art? That's no excuse to make his entire moveset around it. Ganondorf has one punch/shockwave move. That doesn't excuse being based on falcon either. It's like you're pretending that if he was an original character he'd be punching and kicking anyway because he's based on power. You know what his best powers are? Sword fighting and magic. Power does not mean boxing. He is a powerful sword fighter and uses powerful spells. I never thought I'd see the day someone would argue that falcondorf makes sense for his character.
In TP, he didn't kill a sage with swords or spells, he grabbed the guy's head and crushed it with his bare hand, empowered by the Triforce.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They key is playing more Nintendo games, so you expand your list of wanted characters, that's at least what I been doing.
You're not wrong, also during smash 4's development the franchises I like and the characters I like weren't very active so it just didn't work out, wasn't a fan of kid icarus (I should really get around to playing uprising), fire emblem, mega man, pac-man, punch out, not animal crossing or xenoblade at the time, Bowser Jr and Rosa while welcome additions weren't my first picks for mario reps. I love pokemon but was completely indifferent to Greninja.

Hopefully things will work out better this time lol.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In TP, he didn't kill a sage with swords or spells, he grabbed the guy's head and crushed it with his bare hand, empowered by the Triforce.
Melee included Ganondorf after OoT, but before WW or TP. It's entirely possible that Ganondorf's Smash Bros appearance ended up influencing his in-series abilities.

Not that it doesn't fit Ganondorf now, but OoT Ganondorf is much less of a brawler than his other incarnations.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Melee included Ganondorf after OoT, but before WW or TP. It's entirely possible that Ganondorf's Smash Bros appearance ended up influencing his in-series abilities.

Not that it doesn't fit Ganondorf now, but OoT Ganondorf is much less of a brawler than his other incarnations.
Entirely possible. Similar things happened with other characters.

Though... Ganondorf doesn't have many incarnations, does he? Aside from Ganon, he appeared in OoT, TP, WW and maybe some more, I'm not sure. It's possible that one of the reasons he never got any major changes aside from Flame Choke is that he kinda stopped appearing humanoid.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Entirely possible. Similar things happened with other characters.

Though... Ganondorf doesn't have many incarnations, does he? Aside from Ganon, he appeared in OoT, TP, WW and maybe some more, I'm not sure. It's possible that one of the reasons he never got any major changes aside from Flame Choke is that he kinda stopped appearing humanoid.
He is mentioned in some other games, but those are his only full-fledged appearances.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Can I just say how much I ****ing hate it when people celebrate the deconfirmation of a character? Like how spiteful must you be to find enjoyment out of the dissapointment of others?
Whats worse is that nothing about that whatsoever is a deconfirmation. VAs can't say if they recorded lines. Matt Mercer said the same thing and still recorded lines for Smash. And then VAs record lines having no idea its for smash in the case of Adam Howden having no idea. Also Skye hasn't recorded lines for the story DLC yet, so they might record Pyra lines during that if they choose to redo her voices. Otherwise they either recast her with a stateside VA or recycle her clips since she'd technically be part of Rex's moveset and not a playable character herself. They recycled Dunban and Rikki so its not unprecedented. Hell 20 of the playable characters in Smash 4 used recycled Brawl voice overs, so Nintendo is trying to save money if they can. Pyra doesn't say much other than her affinity moves and an occasional "If we keep this up we'll win for sure" or "What will you have me do?"

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It makes me happy to hear people say they like the idea of Simon in Smash. I don’t necessarily believe the leak yet but I’m glad to see Simon getting support nonetheless.
Simon Belmont has always been one of those characters I thought would be cool but didn't actively want.

Then I recently played Castlevania for the first time on the 3DS VC and I'm at the stage where I'd be fully hyped if he made it in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can I just say how much I ****ing hate it when people celebrate the deconfirmation of a character? Like how spiteful must you be to find enjoyment out of the dissapointment of others?
It's really petty. I have some characters I would really prefer not to see in the game but I think I'll try not to actively support or oppose characters too much. One of the reasons I enjoyed the newcomers in Smash For I pretty much hoped for noone.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Whats worse is that nothing about that whatsoever is a deconfirmation. VAs can't say if they recorded lines. Matt Mercer said the same thing and still recorded lines for Smash. And then VAs record lines having no idea its for smash in the case of Adam Howden having no idea. Also Skye hasn't recorded lines for the story DLC yet, so they might record Pyra lines during that if they choice to redo her voices. Otherwise they either recast her with a stateside VA or recycle her clips since she'd technically be part of Rex's moveset and not a playable character herself. They recycled Dunban and Rikki so its no unprecedented. Pyra doesn't say much other than her affinity moves and an occasional "If we keep this up we'll win for sure" or "What will you have me do?"
Matt mercer also said that way before he actually recorded his lines, if pyra was in they definitely would've recorded them by now. Idk how the recording thing works but I don't think they'd record her smash lines and her XC2 DLC lines at the same time at the same place, I feel like that's not how that works. I also feel they wouldn't reuse lines for a playable character. She could very well just be under NDA and overcompensating to keep it a secret though that's a definite possibility.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
This, I won't believe it until I see it on e3 (and won't be able to sleep in a couple of days afterwards) but if it turns false, at least people are getting kinda hyped and likely vote for him on ballots and whatnots (I voted 3 times in the ballot, 2 for Simon and one for Ridley DX)

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Rex relies on Sakurai having prior knowledge about Xenoblade 2. Considering Xenoblade is nowhere near as big as Fire Emblem and Pokemon, that's unlikely.
It really isn't. Sakurai has prior knowledge about a lot more than just those two franchises, and the game was in development for two years before Sakurai started this game.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
This was definitely discussed during the ballot and after, but out of curiosity who did y'all vote for and why?

Personally I voted for Banjo, I was pretty hyped from Phil Spencer.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You ever gone to a party, or even a hang out, or any event, really, where someone you didn't like was there? They probably didn't ruin the party, that'd be a bit extreme, but if they weren't there, you'd just prefer it. Is that selfish? Idk, maybe; it's human nature, and it's not like the party is ruined either way. More importantly, it's not like you wish unhappiness on those that like that one person.

People can dislike what they dislike, y'all need to be strong enough not to make everything a sweeping personal attack when you hear a dissenting opinion over a character's presence. This site really shames people for not liking stuff, it's insane. Just pretend it's a stage or game mode or something, people don't deride each other over not liking those, even though it's the same principle.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
This was definitely discussed during the ballot and after, but out of curiosity who did y'all vote for and why?

Didn't vote but I would've voted for Tiz because Bravely Default is one of my favorite games and I'd be really interested to see what Sakurai would do with the unique mechanics from that game.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Voted Roy right as the ballot went up...But he was announced next.
So I voted Cloud and Sora.
And Cloud is in.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Matt mercer also said that way before he actually recorded his lines, if pyra was in they definitely would've recorded them by now. Idk how the recording thing works but I don't think they'd record her smash lines and her XC2 DLC lines at the same time at the same place, I feel like that's not how that works. I also feel they wouldn't reuse lines for a playable character. She could very well just be under NDA and overcompensating to keep it a secret though that's a definite possibility.
Again she'd not be the playable fighter in Rex's case. Shes the weapon. Its like Olimar and Pikmin where Rex is Olimar. She'd likely be in the background and only be part of Rex's special affinity moves. She has 4 tiers as Pyra and 4 tiers as Mythra so 8 lines total. She doesn't need grunts or yells like Rex's VA would. So I think its a great possibility they just recycle the clips. And yes they could have her rerecord lines during the DLC session having her thinking its for XB2. Her contract likely says her voice recordings can be used for any game they please. Adam Howden recorded lines for Shulk thinking they were still for Xenoblade

And despite all of the above someone who is under NDA will never say yes to recording lines. So no matter what this whole thing proves absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You ever gone to a party, or even a hang out, or any event, really, where someone you didn't like was there? They probably didn't ruin the party, that'd be a bit extreme, but if they weren't there, you'd just prefer it. Is that selfish? Idk, maybe; it's human nature, and it's not like the party is ruined either way. More importantly, it's not like you wish unhappiness on those that like that one person.

People can dislike what they dislike, y'all need to be strong enough not to make everything a sweeping personal attack when you hear a dissenting opinion over a character's presence. This site really shames people for not liking stuff, it's insane. Just pretend it's a stage or game mode or something, people don't deride each other over not liking those, even though it's the same principle.
I'd argue there's a difference between not wanting an inclusion and celebrating an omission.

That being said I mostly agree with the rest. Some people take others not liking or wanting things way too seriously.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Thus it makes sense that he should be a captain falcon clone? He used the sword in the actual fight. Who cares if he fought with his hands in one cutscene? The majority of what he does across all the games he's in is magic and swords. Do you honestly believe that Ganondorf is a fist fighting character?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

I voted for K. Rool multiple times. I was positively convinced that he was getting in and was incredibly hyped. Then I got Mii Costume’d.

Now I feel like he’s an impossible dream and it kind of hurts my excitement levels in general. Like, yeah, there are other characters I like and want to see, but none of them would compare to my most wanted, and knowing he’ll likely never happen kind of drags me down.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Thus it makes sense that he should be a captain falcon clone? He used the sword in the actual fight. Who cares if he fought with his hands in one cutscene? The majority of what he does across all the games he's in is magic and swords. Do you honestly believe that Ganondorf is a fist fighting character?
I "honestly believe" that defining his moveset with a stolen sword that intentionally clashes with his design is valid character design and showcases a TP story element, but doesn't showcase him all that well. The weapon thing is an overblown bandwagon as the digimod explained much better than I can, and his current depiction is a perfectly fine interpretation of his TP incarnation other than a few elements (nair and uair, mainly).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Again she'd not be the playable fighter in Rex's case. Shes the weapon. Its like Olimar and Pikmin where Rex is Olimar. She'd likely be in the background and only be part of Rex's special affinity moves. She has 4 tiers as Pyra and 4 tiers as Mythra so 8 lines total. She doesn't need grunts or yells like Rex's VA would. So I think its a great possibility they just recycle the clips. And yes they could have her rerecord lines during the DLC session having her thinking its for XB2. Her contract likely says her voice recordings can be used for any game they please. Adam Howden recorded lines for Shulk thinking they were still for Xenoblade

And despite all of the above someone who is under NDA will never say yes to recording lines. So no matter what this whole thing proves absolutely nothing.
Although she probably wouldn't be directly playable I still don't see them pulling lines from the game regardless, You got a source on that Adam Howden thing btw?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I voted for K. Rool multiple times. I was positively convinced that he was getting in and was incredibly hyped. Then I got Mii Costume’d.

Now I feel like he’s an impossible dream and it kind of hurts my excitement levels in general. Like, yeah, there are other characters I like and want to see, but none of them would compare to my most wanted, and knowing he’ll likely never happen kind of drags me down.
I unironically think that K.Rool's campain is the perfect exemple of Smashboard/Hardcore community being a resonance box.
They had a lot of vocal people, but dissmissed the not-vocal part or casual part of the community who didn't participate in all of those online poll for characters and they were way too incredibly sure that they were first.

That's why I was weirdly 100% Sure that all of these online polls werent a good representation of the ballot winner and that we wouldn't see any characters from it. However, if the Smash Ballot's data are going to be used for Smash Switch, I believe K.Rool might appear as the wild-Card Retro Rep. That or Nintendo doesn't feels like using or promoting anything DK Rare related beside the DK.Crew beside Port and some reference

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I "honestly believe" that defining his moveset with a stolen sword that intentionally clashes with his design is valid character design and showcases a TP story element, but doesn't showcase him all that well. The weapon thing is an overblown bandwagon as the digimod explained much better than I can, and his current depiction is a perfectly fine interpretation of his TP incarnation other than a few elements (nair and uair, mainly).
I don't even know how to respond to this. So Ganondorf should ignore all the abilities he actually used in his games because they don't fit him? He used magic in oot, swords in ww and both in tp. But he should just punch people instead because you think that fits better? By that logic skull Kid shouldn't have Majora's mask if he were in because that was stolen too. Honestly if that's your argument then I'm done with this because you clearly don't like logic.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'd argue there's a difference between not wanting an inclusion and celebrating an omission.

That being said I mostly agree with the rest. Some people take others not liking or wanting things way too seriously.
There are some characters that I just don't want in the game. If what I want to happen happens, I'm going to celebrate in my own way. It won't be malicious, but it will be celebratory. I think the difference you're looking for is when people are being malicious about it, which I think is where the line is. I just don't think simply celebrating it can be counted as mean, depending on the context.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
a stolen sword that he actually uses and is the main weapon he fights with during his boss fight doesn't fit him? Im-

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

krystal, ridley, and wolf. can't remember if i put in multiple votes for anyone, but probably >.>

edit: between all his current appearances, Ganondorf has been shown to be a physical brute with powerful magic. but with the exception of Ocarina, every time you fight him he's using a weapon of some kind. his current moves fit him just fine in my opinion, but i do also think something with a sword might fit him better.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
In reference my previous point, I want to point out an example. I hate Decidueye as a pokemon. I would prefer to not see it on the playable roster. If it is not on the roster, I will be happy.

This does not mean that I have any negative feelings towards people who support Decidueye as a character. My opinions also in no way influence Decidueye's chances, so I don't see why people should be mad at me for my opinion. It'll either get in, or it won't. If it doesn't I'll be happy, if it does I'll live with it. That's just how this works.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Despite what other might say, there's nothing wrong with being happy that a certain character doesn't get in.

Take Decidueye as an example. If he doesn't get on the roster, I'd be happy, mainly because that would mean Lycanroc would have a better chance of getting in. That doesn't make me selfish or malicious, would it? Of course not. I'm not celebrating that his supporters didn't get him, I'm just happy that the character I really want could still get in.

(Edit: Didn't even realize the user above me used Decidueye as an example.)

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If Simon were to make it, I hope we get Simon's Castlevania Chronicles look.

I know it's not everyone's favorite look for him, but I kinda dig the gothic asthetic he has going. Better than his horrendous Judgement design.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Simon is one of those where I never really gave the possibility much thought, largely because I've always viewed Snake and Bomberman as being ahead of him, but now that it's been brought up as a potential reality I can see it being extremely cool. If it does happen I'll write it down as one of those characters that just makes an infinite amount of sense in hindsight.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I agree the reactions are all along some continuum, but the more extreme you get, the less frequent it becomes. You'll hear no argument from me that a spiteful celebration over a character omission targeted at the actual supporters is uncalled for, almost sociopathic. But such an occasion is also pretty rare, especially if distanced from the reveal. In that thread, there was no such instance.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
In reference my previous point, I want to point out an example. I hate Decidueye as a pokemon. I would prefer to not see it on the playable roster. If it is not on the roster, I will be happy.

This does not mean that I have any negative feelings towards people who support Decidueye as a character. My opinions also in no way influence Decidueye's chances, so I don't see why people should be mad at me for my opinion. It'll either get in, or it won't. If it doesn't I'll be happy, if it does I'll live with it. That's just how this works.
This, I don't want Rex in the game, if he wasn't in the game I'd be glad as it would free up space for other characters I might actually like, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna come in here and hate on the character and his supporters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom