• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Spiderman in Smash? Yeah, I think Smash would have officially jumped the shark at that point, and I'd probably lose interest in the series, tbh :/
Regarding the GameFAQs leak... it's GameFAQs, so I call fake immediately.
Also I believe every time someone has said "which I found surprising", and "Don't believe me if you want", they were making a fake leak. And I don't believe ANYONE besides Sakurai currently knows who they're going to reveal at e3.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think this is the first time in my life I genuinely wish a video game would get delayed, lel.

I know this is selfish rambling and all, but ****, I feel like this game is coming too soon into my life.

This is prolly due to growing up playing each Smash games at the different periods of my life (64 & Melee: Early and Middle Childhood, Brawl: Adolescence, Sm4sh: Young adulthood I guess) and I feel like I'm still in young adulthood or that adulthood period doesn't feel any different than how it was 3 years ago. Idk. All I know is that the release of this game coming sooner and sooner makes me feel melancholic.

/blog
I think this is the first time I've seen someone say the wanted it delayed for a reason other than "it hasn't been long enough, the game won't have a lot of content". I can feel that, sometimes I wonder if I've had enough space from Smash 4 to be properly hyped for this game. Smash 4 is still pretty fresh in my mind, whereas Brawl was not fresh in my mind before 4, and Melee before Brawl.

Putting my own feelings aside, I think that its important to Nintendo as a business decision to get the game on the Switch sooner. The game is the entire reason a lot of people own Nintendo consoles. Of course, the Switch hasn't had any issue selling by itself. But I think getting this game into our hands is a great move on Nintendo's part to show that they listen to what people want, and they're doing their best to provide it. It really gives me confidence towards the things we can expect from the Switch going forward.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Goku is infinitely more of a possibility than Spider Man.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Spiderman in Smash? Yeah, I think Smash would have officially jumped the shark at that point, and I'd probably lose interest in the series, tbh :/
Regarding the GameFAQs leak... it's GameFAQs, so I call fake immediately.
Also I believe every time someone has said "which I found surprising", and "Don't believe me if you want", they were making a fake leak. And I don't believe ANYONE besides Sakurai currently knows who they're going to reveal at e3.
Most prominent Brawl leak not done by Nintendo themselves came from GameFAQs iirc. It also said "believe it if you want".

Don't discount a leak based on its site. The info and the leaker are much more important.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, in today's episode of "4chan leak of the day"
Multiple thread are saying that....Spider-man....Of all people...Would be the surprise reveal in smash.

Okay- let's play a game. What would be your reaction if it was indeed real?
Well, I actually love the web slinger himself so much. But I must be honest, I can't say I'd be happy with him being included. Maybe a little, but overall, I don't think he would ever fit in, in many more ways than one, of course.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
What about the Felynes? They're iconic enough to Monster Hunter without being just 'anonymous hunter in basic gear'. Aren't they popular in the franchise?
Felyne? I'm pretty sure this character appeared in Animal Crossing at some point

:4greninja:'d
Sorry, I don't know what Felynes are exactly. I remember a cat thing accompanying your player character in the Monster Hunter Stories demo, is that what you're talking about?

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Sorry, I don't know what Felynes are exactly. I remember a cat thing accompanying your player character in the Monster Hunter Stories demo, is that what you're talking about?
Yeah, those are them. Felynes are to Monster Hunter what Moogles and Chocobo and such are to Final Fantasy, or what Nopon are to Xenoblade, if that makes any sense. Only they're a bit more directly involved.

The Iconic, small cute things.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This may be a bit off topic, even though it has to do with the E3 presentation, but does anyone know how long that presentation will be? Just curious.

Roberk

Smash Champion
This may be a bit off topic, even though it has to do with the E3 presentation, but does anyone know how long that presentation will be? Just curious.
No, only a scheduled time. Recently, Nintendo opts out of a traditional E3 presentation and just live streams the stuff, so it'll probably be a 30-60 minute Smash Direct. I'm personally thinking it'll be on the longer side due to how much stuff they'd have to reveal to win E3 and the short time to a potential release.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As Smash Switch is the focus of Nintendo's E3 this year, and my own speculation that we aren't getting frequent updates leading up to the release, I'm banking on a 45-60 minute video about the game. Smash has a million things to talk about, they could make it several hours if they really wanted.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
As Smash Switch is the focus of Nintendo's E3 this year, and my own speculation that we aren't getting frequent updates leading up to the release, I'm banking on a 45-60 minute video about the game. Smash has a million things to talk about, they could make it several hours if they really wanted.
Though it's true that there is a lot to talk about regarding Smash, Smash's representation will probably just be relegated to 1 or 2 trailers, like Smash 3DS/Wii U's appearances at E3 2013 & 2014. I would guess that most of the stuff they could talk about would be better saved for the Treehouse live events and possibly a Smash focused Direct shortly before the game releases.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I'm just really excited for E3, but getting Meta Crystal with it's awesome theme back would be greater than getting any new character for me.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Though it's true that there is a lot to talk about regarding Smash, Smash's representation will probably just be relegated to 1 or 2 trailers, like Smash 3DS/Wii U's appearances at E3 2013 & 2014. I would guess that most of the stuff they could talk about would be better saved for the Treehouse live events and possibly a Smash focused Direct shortly before the game releases.
They did multiple Direct style presentations for Smash 4, with the actual Smash Direct and the 50 fact extravaganza. I would be genuinely shocked and highly disappointed if E3 came around and they just said "Here's a couple trailers, we'll tell you more later after waiting all this time"
Also, since we know its the focus, only giving us two trailers would basically be saying there's no Digital Event at all, which they do every year. There is no way that's all they give us other than the stuff Treehouse gets through.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Multiple thread are saying that....Spider-man....Of all people...Would be the surprise reveal in smash.

i'm not exactly on board with the idea, but some nasty little spiteful part of me would die laughing if we broke the "game characters only" rule and then still didn't get goku

...i'd probably try him out, ngl

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
The fact that we're discussing Spiderman with even the slightest bit of seriousness just shows how badly we need E3 to come around.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I understand that if you don't know much about the Metroid franchise, Dark Samus screams 'clone', but really that wouldn't work. Dark Samus can't use most of the equipment that Samus uses for specials in smash (Screw attack, morph ball, missiles, grappling hook, flamethrower, etc) and instead has a lot of unique Phaazon powers which are even shown off with it's assist trophy. Would be pretty neat (although I know there's really no chance)
Real talk. People keep arguing that some characters "make no sense/wouldn't work as clones" (Funky and now DS for example), but some of the clones we've had made no sense.
Ganondorf doesn't even punch you in Ocarina.
Lucina makes no sense as a Marth clone. Her sword is too big, and she fights similar to Ike, to put it simply.
Dark Pit talks about not being like Pit in Uprising and uses different weapons, plus had infinite flying for the majority of the game.
Young Link had no access to adult Link items. (Although Link can't use the boomerang in OoT)

Thinking that a character "doesn't make sense as a clone," as logical as your arguments are, is only setting yourself up for disappointment. I know, I firmly believed Lucina would not be a clone.

Or, imagine people’s reactions if we got a second Xenoblade 1 rep rather than someone from either X or 2...
I think Fiora is likelier than Elma and Rex. Unlike those two, she's proven she's not doomed.

Imagine Shulk gets cut.
What the **** why would you even say that?

Anyways, anything new about that Master of Hyrule/E3 floor plan leak? Last thing I remember, it was the most credible of all Switch leaks.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
They did multiple Direct style presentations for Smash 4, with the actual Smash Direct and the 50 fact extravaganza. I would be genuinely shocked and highly disappointed if E3 came around and they just said "Here's a couple trailers, we'll tell you more later after waiting all this time"
Also, since we know its the focus, only giving us two trailers would basically be saying there's no Digital Event at all, which they do every year. There is no way that's all they give us other than the stuff Treehouse gets through.
Well, it could always be somewhat lengthy trailers, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than 10 minutes (if the E3 presentation is the typical 45 min length). I could be wrong and I'd actually like for the E3 presentation to talk A LOT about Smash, but I'm just trying to temper my expectations slightly to try and avoid some disappointment.

The fact that we're discussing Spiderman with even the slightest bit of seriousness just shows how badly we need E3 to come around.
Yeah and it doesn't help that we are in a bit of a dry spell right now. There have been great games for Switch released recently, but that doesn't mean much to me as a Wii U owner. Most of what I'm waiting for (Mario Tennis Aces demo, potential Pokemon Switch news, updates for Mario Odyssey/Kirby Star Allies) won't come until the end of the month, if the Pokemon rumors are to be believed. There hasn't even been any confirmed release date for upcoming Mario and Kirby updates anyways. Just a lot of waiting, but it will all be worth it!

Calm before the storm.....

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We have created over 700 pages of discussion with literally nothing but a minute-long teaser that doesn't show anything Smash related until the last 20 seconds.

We're all ****in' crazy. And desperate. Crazy desperate.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Spiderman?

That takes me back to Sm4sh when I drew this image to try and explain Toad's ability to run up walls ala Wario's Woods:

I never thought he'd actually be discussed as a Smash candidate himself though.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I just read that whole Elma and Pyra discussion from a few pages ago...

I want them both and would be happy if either one of them gets in. It'd be amazing if both of them got in. It's extremely petty to insult characters you don't like.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well, it could always be somewhat lengthy trailers, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than 10 minutes (if the E3 presentation is the typical 45 min length). I could be wrong and I'd actually like for the E3 presentation to talk A LOT about Smash, but I'm just trying to temper my expectations slightly to try and avoid some disappointment.
I genuinely anticipate having a full-blown Smash Direct as part of the presentation. The original Smash Bros Direct was 40 minutes, and they had been revealing information on a daily basis. This is the first anyone will be seeing this game, and people are information starved. There's too much to talk about for them to not at least match the original Smash Direct.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Angry Toge.png

Agreed, I think they'd make a huge impact if they just dropped reveal after reveal after reveal at E3, a much bigger impact than if we just got updates. I can honestly see them creating the biggest storm of all by just deciding to reveal every character right then and there if the release dates sometime in September or some other not so distant date.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I genuinely anticipate having a full-blown Smash Direct as part of the presentation. The original Smash Bros Direct was 40 minutes, and they had been revealing information on a daily basis. This is the first anyone will be seeing this game, and people are information starved. There's too much to talk about for them to not at least match the original Smash Direct.
Even though Smash is the focus, you have to remember that Prime 4, FE16, and Pokémon exist too. This E3 won't just be Smash, Smash, and more Smash.

As long as we get a Direct specifically for Smash somewhere in late summer, I'd be fine with just getting a general overview and a few newcomer reveals at E3.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I remember back in the Brawl days there was this fake leaker who was supposedly drip feeding SubSpace Emissary plot (HAH! Plot, seems so naive now.) It was all believable (to one my age) but one day he wen toff the deep end and claimed Spider-Man would web up the Master Hand in the final cutscene and be the last unlockable.

He was soon debunked for real when Charizard had a different recovery to what he said. Then he had the gall to say he was doing ti for "us" the readers.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
We have created over 700 pages of discussion with literally nothing but a minute-long teaser that doesn't show anything Smash related until the last 20 seconds.

We're all ****in' crazy. And desperate. Crazy desperate.
And that's just been in the past 2 months or so. Wouldn't be surprised if we create at least close to that much during E3 week.

How long do you think the Smash Bros. portion will be? Keep in mind that there are still other games to reveal, and their presentation likely won't be more than 1 hour (not that their E3 presentations ever exceed an hour anyways).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm betting Smash will get a lot of Treehouse time

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
How long do you think the Smash Bros. portion will be? Keep in mind that there are still other games to reveal, and their presentation likely won't be more than 1 hour (not that their E3 presentations ever exceed an hour anyways).
I suppose that is true. I guess that if Nintendo is only willing to do a 60 minute Digital Event, 30 minutes of it will be Smash. With all these giant reveals/things to show off, though, I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to go over an hour this year.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Considering this game is coming 2018, we may see a lot of newcomers revealed at once, similar to Brawl.

I was highly anticipating that last time and was disappointed that the trailer immediately ended after Villager was revealed.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
While I would love an hour long presentation of just Smash, it isn't likely. I don't think just a trailer or two is likely either...I'm honestly expecting close to 15 minutes, including trailers and Sakurai talking about the game. There will be more time in the tree house event and invitational to show off more gameplay. But yea they gotta show other games too.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am expecting a huge trailer that we won't be able to keep up with as we stand in awe in front of our desks.

It's going to be something else on June 12th.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Considering this game is coming 2018, we may see a lot of newcomers revealed at once, similar to Brawl.

I was highly anticipating that last time and was disappointed that the trailer immediately ended after Villager was revealed.
I already made mention of this, but there's a major difference between now and then. Smash 4 had daily updates, and the reveal of Villager and whatnot was a year before the game came out. We're less than 6 months away from the release of Smash Switch when E3 gets here, and we aren't getting daily updates. The information dump here should be significantly larger.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I don't expect Smash Bros to take up too much of the presentation, they have plenty of other games to show off that they probably don't want to be too overshadowed. Plus, a little more could be revealed at the invitational and Treehouse. Either way, if we don't see the majority of the roster revealed, we could get a veteran reveal every other week or so on the website rather than one a month depending on how far the release date is.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Meanwhile grass is green

Or are you speculating it will get a lot of Treehouse coverage IN COMPARISON to other games, like 70% of the time?
I'm speulating its gonna be the default one they run while the others run when they get the devs in for interviews.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I guess I'll define what I expect the Smash portion of the digital event to look like because I think people are taking my statements as if I'm expecting it to be 30 minutes of straight new reveals.

I expect several newcomers, anywhere from 3-5, with an initial trailer revealing them. After the trailer ends, it cuts to Sakurai similar to the Smash Direct. Sakurai then begins to talk about the game, what to expect, perhaps comments on Smash 4. It'll cover many different aspects of the game, though lightly touching on each of them. New character reveals getting detailed a bit more, returning veterans, some new stages, some returning stages, some items (including a few ATs and Pokeballs), and other miscellaneous small details about the game. There's enough there to easily fill 30 minutes and not reveal much about the game itself, leaving plenty for Treehouse. I don't see Sakurai leaving this at just a trailer and the Treehouse.

I think it'll be very similar in format to the Smash Direct. I suppose since they have to share the spotlight with other games, it might last 20-25 minutes, leaving some smaller details and modes to Treehouse.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't expect Smash Bros to take up too much of the presentation, they have plenty of other games to show off that they probably don't want to be too overshadowed. Plus, a little more could be revealed at the invitational and Treehouse. Either way, if we don't see the majority of the roster revealed, we could get a veteran reveal every other week or so on the website rather than one a month depending on how far the release date is.
There's a lot of games likely to show up at this year's E3
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Party
  • Paper Mario
  • Animal Crossing
  • Fire Emblem
  • Pikmin 4
  • Star Fox
Unfortunately, it seems we won't be getting a glimpse of Metroid, Pokemon, or Bayonetta on the 12th, as Nintendo stated that games being released beyond 2018 will be revealed at a later date..

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
At this point I feel like I’ll just be that dude who keeps trying to bring up Dragon Quest for smash (because no one else will lol) how many of you have played any of the games, and how many of you would love/hate this franchise being in smash??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom