• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know about you guys, but to me Simon is the kind of character I'd rather be surprised by.

Obv surprises across the board are usually nice, but I'm cool if often speculated characters get leaked, or divisive ones towards whom I'd like some time to acclimate (like, for me, WFT, Corrin, Dark Pit, etc). However the pseudo-left-field hype choices, the Clouds and the Mega Mans, those are the ones, of any, to which I like being caught off guard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Genuine question: How taxing would Eevee be if it constantly evolved and devolved into different Eeveelutions for each attack? Like it turns into Flareon/Vaporeon/Jolteon for smash attacks but it turns back into Eevee as soon as the move ends.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I don't think that's the case really. With most vets returning (or as the rumors say) and a newcomer from PKMN that would bring the PKMN roster to 7 characters. Adding two newcomers would bring that total to 8 and I think that's a bit too bloated even for PKMN.

Of course before someone quotes me telling me how "reps don't matter" and all that lovely stuff, I get that. What i'm saying is that it would feel bloated to have all that content and Sakurai himself has stated representation among the franchises is something he takes in to account when making the game. I don't see Sakurai doing both unless one happens to be DLC or something.
While I don't think it'd be bloated, given that Pokemon is the 2nd best selling game series only to Mario, I could totally see Eevee being DLC to promote the new Pokemon games.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Genuine question: How taxing would Eevee be if it constantly evolved and devolved into different Eeveelutions for each attack? Like it turns into Flareon/Vaporeon/Jolteon for smash attacks but it turns back into Eevee as soon as the move ends.
Taking transformation characters to the extreme. I like it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
While I don't think it'd be bloated, given that Pokemon is the 2nd best selling game series only to Mario, I could totally see Eevee being DLC to promote the new Pokemon games.
Yeah that's a possibility for sure.

Just that I think Eevee has a chance for the base roster over a Gen 7 one.

Odd Gen Syndrome and all. :)

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Nice pun.

That being said, I'm absolutely confident that people will be wrong about the newcomers for Smash Switch just like the way they were with Smash 4. The top ten characters according to the Rate Their Chance thread at this point?

I wouldn't be surprised if only 1 or 2 of these guys made it in.
The day RTC gets anything right is the day hell freezes over.
I say this as someone who participates in RTC.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Did we have anything like these leaks back in SSB4 for Ridley? I'd like to know.
Not sure if this is what you are asking, but most credible leaks or even the ones that got some right but not all, never included Ridley. I remember because it was really dissapointing to see them slowly get proven right knowing that Ridley was probably not likely.

That's what makes me excited that several credible, or even semi-credible people have hinted or rumored Ridley. Much better than the occasional 4chan post that mentioned him during 4 speculation lol.

Yeah that's a possibility for sure.

Just that I think Eevee has a chance for the base roster over a Gen 7 one.

Odd Gen Syndrome and all. :)
Well besides the odd gen thing not being an actual rule, that was usually because of the large span of time between games. I mean look at Smash 64 to Melee, shortest time between games and Gen 2 didn't get skipped. That's not to say that gen 8 won't get repped (or whatever this switch game is). But defintely not instead of a gen 7 Pokemon.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I’d have to agree. Pokémon is Nintendo’s 2nd most successful franchise.

If you can, try to look at Mario’s representation as more than just the Mushroom Emblem. We’ve got Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Rosalina & Luma, and Dr. Mario. We also have Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong. The last four aren’t technically Mario reps in terms of Smash, but all originated from the Mario series before branching off. From a Nintendo standpoint Mario has 11 Reps, and with the potential of newcomers most certainly coming to the franchise with the next iteration, Pokémon having 8-9 reps, doesn’t really seem unjust or bloated.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I like Eevee having an experience bar.

Once the bar is full, her down B turns into Evolve.
You can select a Fire, Electric, or Water symbol to choose your transformation.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

I think that seems kinda limited, and requires at least 4 different movepools for one character.

I like the idea of Eevee using normal attacks for her neutral A, and her a tilts, and then summoning other Eeveelutions as her special and Smash attacks, and then as a final Smash, using her exclusive Z move. That way you can get all the other Eeveelutions in without too much effort with the exception of creating all the 3d models.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think that seems kinda limited, and requires at least 4 different movepools for one character.

I like the idea of Eevee using normal attacks for her neutral A, and her a tilts, and then summoning other Eeveelutions as her special and Smash attacks, and then as a final Smash, using her exclusive Z move. That way you can get all the other Eeveelutions in without too much effort with the exception of creating all the 3d models.
The movepools would generally be the same with stat adjustments and elemental properties.

Basically, Eevee would transform into a permanent Monado Arts form for the duration of the stock.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I seriously doubt they'd bring a Transformation character with 4 different characters to choose from
The movepools would generally be the same with stat adjustments and elemental properties.

Basically, Eevee would transform into a permanent Monado Arts form for the duration of the stock.
Even so, that's still 4 different characters to model, different elementals to implement, and whathaveyou.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

As much as I like this idea, how exactly will this work for 8 different Eevees? Pretty sure this is kinda crazy for development

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
As much as I'd like Parabo and Satebo as the new hardware rep. I do kinda doubt it.

If I had to put money on one, it would be Diskun. Mostly because he still shows up in games with cameos like R.O.B. maybe he could use moves from classic Famicom games.

I don't want Hanafuda though. I don't like the idea of anyone being older than Game & Watch. They even pointed it out in Pac-Mans trailer that Game & Watch is older.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Jolteon not having a tail would be an issue tho, the tail is one of eevee's defining characteristics and would likely be a big part of it's moveset

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Do you guys think the Monster Hunter could be a playable character?
No. Monster Hunter is a popular franchise but it has no iconic character that's comparable to the current crop of third parties. There just isn't in any money in seeing some random hunter in Rathalos Armor throw down with Mario, Link, or the other Nintendo heavy hitters.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Jolteon not having a tail would be an issue tho, the tail is one of eevee's defining characteristics and would likely be a big part of it's moveset
You can use Pikachu's electric ball animation from its smash attack for Jolteon's tail attacks.

Of course to sync this with tail attacks from the other Eveelutions, it would have to come out of its butt.
BUTT if anyone can make that cool looking, it is Jolteon.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
How would you guys feel if it wasn't a Gen 7 PKMN that gets in but instead it's Eevee?

You might say "well it's probably too late for that" but if this game was in development since late-2016 Sakurai would have advance knowledge of the project and he already has an idea of how Eevee would play in the game.

I would like Eevee personally though I can see why some might be disappointed by that.
I would be skeptical of the idea that Sakurai took a +6 month "breather" since he finished Smash 4 DLC.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would be skeptical of the idea that Sakurai took a +6 month "breather" since he finished Smash 4 DLC.
With the quick turnaround on this game, i'm willing to bet development started towards the later parts of 2016.

The leak from the Bandia Namco guy who said he left right before development started leads credence to that theory.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I’d have to agree. Pokémon is Nintendo’s 2nd most successful franchise.

If you can, try to look at Mario’s representation as more than just the Mushroom Emblem. We’ve got Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Rosalina & Luma, and Dr. Mario. We also have Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong. The last four aren’t technically Mario reps in terms of Smash, but all originated from the Mario series before branching off. From a Nintendo standpoint Mario has 11 Reps, and with the potential of newcomers most certainly coming to the franchise with the next iteration, Pokémon having 8-9 reps, doesn’t really seem unjust or bloated.
Donkey Kong isn't a spin-off of Mario though. If anything, both Mario and Donkey Kong Country are spin-offs of Arcade DK.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Monster Hunter strikes me as one of the most likely 3rd Party characters still not in Smash. The franchise is basically a juggernaut with huge success on the 3DS over the last console generation, the Hunters are a goldmine of moveset potential, Capcom have been quite good at working with Nintendo in recent years and they already have their foot in the door for Smash. Granted, if Sakurai feels Capcom are getting too many characters it won't happen, but he picks by the strength of the character, not the company behind them. The only other 3rd Party I really see as having better circumstances is Rayman, and even then Monster Hunter isn't impeded by a language barrier like Rayman, though of all major Western companies Ubisoft strikes me as one that would have the least trouble with that hurdle.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If by some chance Eevee does become playable, I don't think transformations are a necessity. Eevee can use plenty of interesting moves like Shadow Ball, Take Down, Trump Card, Bite, Quick Attack, etc. Eevee's normals could just be standard kicks/headbutts/generic hits, just like every other Pokemon. You could easily make an interesting moveset for it without using transformations. Its Final Smash would be Ultimate Evoboost, calling all the Eeveeloutions just like Mega Man's Final Smash, but instead giving Eevee an insane buff.

The ONLY potential issue with implementation would be carrying items, but it can carry a box on its back, and shoot the guns by sitting back all cute and stuff and using its front paws, or walking on its hind legs. Its not that hard, really. Also, Eevee has always been a popular Pokemon, and being a quadruped who can't necessarily carry things the same way as Duck Hunt or Ivysaur aren't whats going to stop it.

If Sakurai was aware that they were working on these titles and decided that Eevee was a worthy inclusion, he'd make it happen.

Luminario

Smash Lord
No. Monster Hunter is a popular franchise but it has no iconic character that's comparable to the current crop of third parties. There just isn't in any money in seeing some random hunter in Rathalos Armor throw down with Mario, Link, or the other Nintendo heavy hitters.
What about the Felynes? They're iconic enough to Monster Hunter without being just 'anonymous hunter in basic gear'. Aren't they popular in the franchise?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Felyne? I'm pretty sure this character appeared in Animal Crossing at some point

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As much as I like this idea, how exactly will this work for 8 different Eevees? Pretty sure this is kinda crazy for development
To be fair, he didn't say Fire, Electric, Water, Psychic, Dark, Grass, Ice, and Fairy. He only said Fire, Electric, and Water. The original three Eeveelutions.

The Eeveelution idea sounds interesting. Eevee could work in Smash somehow... I guess I would be fine with that. And if Eevee gets in Smash, then I think the "there are too many 1st gen Pokémon in Smash" argument would be invalidated.

Assuming the "Let's Go Pikachu" and "Let's Go Eevee" games are real, there needs to be a "Let's Go Meowth" version where you can play as a Team Rocket Grunt (male is based on James, female is based on Jessie) and Meowth is your main Pokémon... and you can steal other Trainers' Pokémon a la Pokémon Colosseum.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, he didn't say Fire, Electric, Water, Psychic, Dark, Grass, Ice, and Fairy. He only said Fire, Electric, and Water. The original three Eeveelutions.

The Eeveelution idea sounds interesting. Eevee could work in Smash somehow... I guess I would be fine with that. And if Eevee gets in Smash, then I think the "there are too many 1st gen Pokémon in Smash" argument would be invalidated.

Assuming the "Let's Go Pikachu" and "Let's Go Eevee" games are real, there needs to be a "Let's Go Meowth" version where you can play as a Team Rocket Grunt (male is based on James, female is based on Jessie) and Meowth is your main Pokémon... and you can steal other Trainers' Pokémon a la Pokémon Colosseum.
At the very least, if this game really is a remake of Yellow we might see Jessie, James and Meowth in the game since they where present in the original Pokemon Yellow, which would be quite interesting to see.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At the very least, if this game really is a remake of Yellow we might see Jessie, James and Meowth in the game since they where present in the original Pokemon Yellow, which would be quite interesting to see.
That's true. That's something at least. But then wouldn't that mean we can't catch Meowth in the game if it's a remake of Yellow? I want to have a Kanto Meowth in my team. I liked having an Alola Meowth in my team in Sun and Moon (yes, both versions).

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Alolan Meowth was super cool, and I've always been a big fan of Kanto Meowth and Persian. I've always felt like Meowth was sort of snubbed in the Smash games because Jigglypuff was sort of seen as that character who represented the anime, though Meowth has been an extremely prominent character in every single mainline season of the anime, as well as being Team Rocket's teammate in Yellow version. I would love to see him finally make the jump to playable.

Perhaps if this game does wind up being a pseudo-Yellow version remake, Meowth will be prominent enough to warrant inclusion in Smash as a DLC character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's true. That's something at least. But then wouldn't that mean we can't catch Meowth in the game if it's a remake of Yellow? I want to have a Kanto Meowth in my team. I liked having an Alola Meowth in my team in Sun and Moon (yes, both versions).
I don't see them making Meowth completely absent for capture in the games. I guess it might be unobtainable in Pikachu's version due to their more iconic rivalry, I'd imagine it should be obtainable just fine in Eevee's version though.

That said, if he makes a prominent appearance in the game and depending on what the Pokemon roster's state is by the time Smash Switch comes out, I can see it being considered for DLC.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So, in today's episode of "4chan leak of the day"
Multiple thread are saying that....Spider-man....Of all people...Would be the surprise reveal in smash.

Okay- let's play a game. What would be your reaction if it was indeed real?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel if it wasn't a Gen 7 PKMN that gets in but instead it's Eevee?

You might say "well it's probably too late for that" but if this game was in development since late-2016 Sakurai would have advance knowledge of the project and he already has an idea of how Eevee would play in the game.

I would like Eevee personally though I can see why some might be disappointed by that.
Eevee's my #1 Pokemon newcomer of choice, but I can't see it happening at all, so I'd be surprised and very hyped.
It's one of the few popular third-party franchises the WiiU had. If the newcomer selection was intentionally limited to the WiiU/3DS era and no future games were planned to be represented, it would be a very likely third-party choice. It also got the opportunity to get Mii Costume representation.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Alolan Meowth was super cool, and I've always been a big fan of Kanto Meowth and Persian. I've always felt like Meowth was sort of snubbed in the Smash games because Jigglypuff was sort of seen as that character who represented the anime, though Meowth has been an extremely prominent character in every single mainline season of the anime, as well as being Team Rocket's teammate in Yellow version. I would love to see him finally make the jump to playable.

Perhaps if this game does wind up being a pseudo-Yellow version remake, Meowth will be prominent enough to warrant inclusion in Smash as a DLC character.
I'm crossing my fingers for Meowth to be relevant in the games. Yeah, he's relevant in the anime but apparently it isn't good enough. I was disappointed that Meowth didn't get in Pokken. I wanted Meowth in Pokken for two reasons. One, because I love Meowth. And two, because I wanted Meowth in Pokken (not as a Support Pokémon but as a playable fighter) to show people, especially detractors, that Meowth is a good choice as a Smash fighter.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Multiple thread are saying that....Spider-man....Of all people...Would be the surprise reveal in smash.

That would make me sick to my stomach, honestly. I'd be disgusted by Spider Man himself, but following that would be the manifestation of the fear of the presence Goku and other random non-Video Game characters... Yikes.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman

Goodness, I'd certainly be surprised. That would be the weirdest addition as it doesn't even have the meme following of Goku or Shrek. But overall, I don't think I'd be too happy with it

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
I think this is the first time in my life I genuinely wish a video game would get delayed, lel.

I know this is selfish rambling and all, but ****, I feel like this game is coming too soon into my life.

This is prolly due to growing up playing each Smash games at the different periods of my life (64 & Melee: Early and Middle Childhood, Brawl: Adolescence, Sm4sh: Young adulthood I guess) and I feel like I'm still in young adulthood or that adulthood period doesn't feel any different than how it was 3 years ago. Idk. All I know is that the release of this game coming sooner and sooner makes me feel melancholic.

/blog

Polan

Smash Lord
have any other nintendo insiders come out in support of vergeben's leak? other people coming out and saying that they heard similar rumours is what made let's go pikachu/eevee and star fox grand prix go from potential fake to potentially real in my eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom